Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What We Would Like to See from Anthem - Michael Bitton - MMORPG.com

MikeBMikeB Community ManagerAdministrator RarePosts: 6,562
edited January 2018 in News & Features Discussion

imageWhat We Would Like to See from Anthem - Michael Bitton - MMORPG.com

EA’s looking to throw its hat into the ring this year with its own loot shooter called Anthem. The title is being developed by BioWare and looks to be an all hands on deck effort by the studio with EA vice president Patrick Söderlund describing the project as “the start of maybe a 10-year journey.” Can EA and BioWare pull it off with Anthem? I’ve got a couple of ideas for how I think the game can position itself to succeed.

Read the full story here

Michael "MikeB" Bitton
Community Manager
Twitter: @eMikeB

Comments

• hellzerhellzer Member UncommonPosts: 19
    After the latest Mass Effect Andromeda I don't think anyone who is fairly educated will take their products seriously.
    JeffSpicoliPhryGorweMikehaAlomarZandogRich84Samhael[Deleted User]TacticalZombehand 11 others.
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Looks really cool,nice detail,nice sound effects but with EA there is so much to worry about.

UI ,this is an area ruining almost every game for me.I can't stand cumbersome UI needing 50 different pre sets to function.

micro transactions,we will see.

Often games say open world but i saw a lot of lanes being run through.
    The video was very much scripted so how actual gameplay/group plays out in real is yet to be seen.
    RorhcDeVoDeVo

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• JeffSpicoliJeffSpicoli Member EpicPosts: 2,849

hellzer said:

After the latest Mass Effect Andromeda I don't think anyone who is fairly educated will take their products seriously.

Yeah that game was a abomination but supposedly the team that made it is long gone. Politics were put above talent , Hopefully EA has learned from their past mistakes.
    Nibs
    • Aloha Mr Hand ! 

• Harbinger1975Harbinger1975 Member UncommonPosts: 244

thunderC said:

hellzer said:

Yeah that game was a abomination but supposedly the team that made it is long gone. Politics were put above talent , Hopefully EA has learned from their past mistakes.

This is EA you're talking about. Don't get your hopes up. EA isn't going to focus on Story at all, they are gonna focus on what makes them money. And "linear, single player games aren't what we (consumers) want anymore".
    JeffSpicoli[Deleted User]PhryGorweZandogRich84Gobstopper3DSiugwarsaber1375rojoArcueidand 1 other.

• AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,312
    edited January 2018
    Look, I'm a simple enough guy to please. Just give me solid TPS combat, deep character customization, plenty of gear to play mecha Barbie with, and an emphasis on open world public events and I'll be happy. Deal?
    RexKushmanrodingoMrMelGibsonZenJellyEvilGaming
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Anthem, yeah, after all the latest shenanigans i would be surprised if its not just another rerun of Destiny 2, loot boxes, microtransactions and progression thats somehow bound up within those microtransactions, there is no way in hell i am buying into that game without knowing exactly how impacting the cash shop is going to be, so unless the game is amazingly good then i'll likely pass this one by. :/
    Octagon7711ZandogTacticalZombehEvilGaming
  • CoolitCoolit Member UncommonPosts: 660
    No loot boxes.
    Alverant[Deleted User]jmcdermottuk
  • azurreiazurrei Member UncommonPosts: 332
    Agree on the PvP - good to see it being addressed. I feel this way about MMO's in general - PvP should either be core to gameplay (making it a "PvP MMO") or have little to no PvP at all. When it is somewhere in between (like WoW, Rift, Wildstar, FF14, etc etc etc) it does more harm than good to the game as a whole.
    etharnCazriel
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    Feels like a Watch Dogs 2 launch. Unless I see something that's really different than what's been done lately, it's a wait for the sale thingy. If even that. Better be a dame good weekend trial.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

Feels like a Watch Dogs 2 launch. Unless I see something that's really different than what's been done lately, it's a wait for the sale thingy. If even that. Better be a dame good weekend trial.
    Even a great weekend trial can be deceptive. Case in point - Destiny 1. I was incredibly impressed during the beta. Great combat. The strike was fun. The open world was refreshing.

Little did we know that the beta represented about 20% of the vanilla game. There weren't enough planets to explore. There were only a few Strikes with repetitive design. Etc.
    Octagon7711PhryMrMelGibson
  • MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    The 10 year plan quote sounds an awful lot like Bungie's ten year plan.

So get ready for sequel upon sequel upon sequel.
    PhryMrMelGibson

• GaladournGaladourn Member RarePosts: 1,813
    i personally want to see more ingame footage
    Zandog3dom
  • rodingorodingo Member RarePosts: 2,870
    edited January 2018
    EA will make my decision to purchase very easy depending on how (not if because it's inevitable) they implement monetization/loot boxes

"If I offended you, you needed it" -Corey Taylor

• Itchen1000Itchen1000 Member UncommonPosts: 17
    I have very little faith in any game flying the EA banner.
    PhryGobstopper3DValanarrbarasawa
  • ShadowStyleBShadowStyleB Member UncommonPosts: 315
    I hope the game is closer to Warframe than Destiny. I don't expect it to be much though considering how things have been unfolding lately at EA. I think this game is going to be a disappointment story wise.

"You think this "A" stands for France?" Captain America

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,852
    edited January 2018
    #1 Learn from Battlefront II
    Or more accurately, other successful P2W models.
    Hide paywalls deeper in the game and less visible up front.
    Build P2W features into the hidden paywalls
    Make early game play challenging with a lot of depth, but shift that into the cash shop later
    Use hidden programming to expose the "have-not"'s weakness directly against the "have"s
    Use code to alter game-play so that player returns are diminished unless they spend money.
    Use ready made DLCs so a $60 game turns into a $180 game.

Oh the list goes on.

Anyway, Why is it so much to ask for a decent quality game at a fair price? We get all of what we pay for and we know what we are paying for when we pay for it?
  • beebop500beebop500 Member UncommonPosts: 217
    I think Anthem looks like fun and will almost certainly buy it. That being said, remember when Destiny 1 was touted as a "10-year game"?? Yeah, I barely remember that either, considering it took them only 2 years to put out a watered-down, overly simplified sequel.
    [Deleted User]MrMelGibsonRidelynn
    "We are all as God made us, and many of us much worse." - Don Quixote
  • beebop500beebop500 Member UncommonPosts: 217

DMKano said:

Id love to see a really slick cash shop with predatory loot boxes

My new years resolution is - realistic expectations

I want a cash shop that just sells weapons and armor directly. Screw being underhanded, just charge me $50 for elite-level stuff so I can laugh at people who don't spend money. It's the wave of the future!
    KumaponPsym0n
    "We are all as God made us, and many of us much worse." - Don Quixote
  • AlomarAlomar Member RarePosts: 1,295
    What we'd like to see from this game is Bioware not screw it up, but if the recent past is any indication they'll find a way to do so. The last Bioware game I wasn't disappointed with was in 2010 (ME:2); since it's been DA:2, SWTOR, ME:3, DA:I, and most recently ME:A.
    Psym0n
    Haxus Council Member
    21  year MMO veteran 
    PvP Raid Leader 
    Lover of The Witcher & CD Projekt Red
  • ZandogZandog Member UncommonPosts: 97
    Electronic Arts®

Nuff said.
    3domRidelynnValanarrHarikenbarasawa
    Every time Goonsquad/SA/DS post salt on Star Citizen, I spend more money on it. Every time a mentally disturbed former backer or Elite CMDR toxic emo comments, I spend more money on it. Every time they refuse to answer why they spend so much time arguing about a game they don't even like, I spend more money on it. Want to watch the world burn because you can't have your way? You got whats coming to you.
  • unclemounclemo Member UncommonPosts: 462
    Give warframe a try if you haven't. They do F2P right. EA will make a P2W game for sure.
    3dom
  • KezBotKezBot Member UncommonPosts: 19
    edited January 2018
    It will be interesting to see how it turns out. I am not a big PVP guy either, but I think a healthy game needs to have a viable PVP component to have the best chance to be successful in the long term these days. There are exceptions but I hope it has a fun engaging PVP component.
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    I have very little faith in any game flying the EA banner.
    EA have done a pretty good job over the years of beating it out of people, if there is any left its probably cowering in the corner waiting for the next blow. :/
    Torval said:
    unclemo said:
    Give warframe a try if you haven't. They do F2P right. EA will make a P2W game for sure.
    Warframe is P2W so do you mean EA will make it more P2W? Does that make WFs P2W acceptable? What's the acceptable P2W threshold?
    Warframe WOULD be pay to win completely out of context. If grind was unrealistic, it would be pay to win. If the game were difficult, it would be pay to win. If this was a PvP game, it would be pay to win. But none of these are the case. Every individual gear piece in Warframe can be earned realistically, even quickly, and traded with other players. The game is so easy that there is no cause to pay for gear or to discriminate against others for not having gear. The atmosphere is purely cooperative and everyone can earn anything they desire at a fast, set rate. The cash shop does not interfere with the game's design in any meaningful way. 
    GolelornatonicoStjerneoddCazriel
  • seafirexseafirex Member UncommonPosts: 419
    It does look nice, i should say very nice but it is made by EA. Unfortunately i will not touch this even with a pole. When EA is behind something even if it is not at the start of the franchise it will become a money hungry game.

People should just stop buying there game all at once. I am sorry to say this but they do not make games for gamers. They make them just for the whales.

PS : to answer the question of what is the limit on p2w = nothing should be p2w. It should be make a game charge a price or a monthly fee and don't offer anything else to buy in the game itself with real cash. If you make expansion or dlc make it so that it is worth while and sell it at a affordable price.
    Just like in the good old days example of this would be similar to : doom, then doom 2, doom 3 or WoW then TBC then Lich king, etc...

Don't do something like add 1 or 2 maps with a few new spells and/or 1 character and call it a dlc and charge 30 bucks for it.