Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Suspect in Call of Duty 'Swatting' Death to be Extradited to Kansas to Face Charges - General News

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited January 2018 in News & Features Discussion

imageSuspect in Call of Duty 'Swatting' Death to be Extradited to Kansas to Face Charges - General News

Rolling Stone is reporting that Tyler Barriss, a 25-year-old Californian, has waived extradition to Kansas and is headed to Wichita to face

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• Hashcow101Hashcow101 Member UncommonPosts: 105
    Fucking morons
    Cyber_wasteland

"May Your Head Explode And Blood Swell From The Wound"
    - Hashcow

• Tiamat64Tiamat64 Member RarePosts: 1,545
    And off he goes!

Good grief, I hope this useless trash gets the book thrown at him and gets some hefty prison time.  He's already been arrested for bomb threats and such before this and he's unrepentent about everything (all he did was tweet that it wasn't his fault, and had no empathy for the dead man's family or anything.  Cripes, what a sociopath) so it's pretty obvious society has nothing to gain from this jackass being anywhere but prison or the afterlife.
    JeffSpicoliAlomarjimmywolfGhavriggDarkagesPhryLeiHngWeiHulluckMrMelGibsoncatofmanyand 2 others.
  • MagikarpsGhostMagikarpsGhost Member RarePosts: 689
    And this is society now days. Remember when we just called over another names and moved on,?
    SBFordOctagon7711chocolate42069Albatroesklash2defGorweMrMelGibson

free 7 day sub and unlocks for swtor new accounts and 90+ day inactive subs click here to get it!

Click here for trove referral, bonuses to both!

• OrinoriOrinori Member RarePosts: 751
    How about not having a shoot first ask questions later policy?
    jimmywolfDimmizeraugustgraceklash2defTenkouseiPhrydarkheartscatofmany
  • TalulaRoseTalulaRose Member RarePosts: 1,247
    edited January 2018
    The person who gave the false address needs some jail time as well.

Infinity Ward, Treyarch, Sledgehammer Games, and Activision need to step up and remove all betting from the game.
  • goozmaniagoozmania Member RarePosts: 394
    The criminal is this Raj Barriss guy; the weapon he used was the police. He deserves a sentence as if he were the one firing the gun.
    Cyber_wastelandPhryMrMelGibsoncatofmany
  • AlomarAlomar Member RarePosts: 1,299
    What a piece of trash, and you wonder why people have such negative opinions of the gaming community and gamers. I wish we could weed these oxygen breathers out through natural selection like we do in our video games.
    Haxus Council Member
    21  year MMO veteran 
    PvP Raid Leader 
    Lover of The Witcher & CD Projekt Red
  • 3dom3dom Member RarePosts: 889
    Don't tell AlQueda how US police can be used as unpaid (!) yet very effective killers by anyone who knows how to use an IP telephony.
    augustgraceGorwe

Thank you for your time!

• HeretiqueHeretique Member RarePosts: 1,535
    Hell even gamers understand RoE, yet the police want to act like the Military but don't want to follow some of the same rules.
    Phrycatofmany
  • JimmydeanJimmydean Member UncommonPosts: 1,290

Heretique said:

Hell even gamers understand RoE, yet the police want to act like the Military but don't want to follow some of the same rules.

Well the police aren't military and don't follow RoEs, they have a use of force continuum. If a cop tells you to keep your hands up and you reach towards your waistband, well that's what gets people shot.
    HorusraThomas2006Darkages[Deleted User]PhryGorwek61977MrMelGibson
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    Kansas law makes some false calls to police a felony that can be punished up to 13 months in prison for a first-time offender.
    http://www.virginiacarinsurancelaws7.tk/news/Kansas-law-makes-some-false-police-calls-felony/
    [Deleted User]MrMelGibsoncatofmany

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000

Elidien said:

Regardless of the criminal conviction, he will be sued in civil court and will be paying a ton of money.

I think it's safe to assume the guy has no money and the lawsuit will probably be a wrongful death against the police department and officer.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• Solar_ProphetSolar_Prophet Member EpicPosts: 1,960
    Orinori said:
    Or, and I know for folks like yourself this is asking a lot, maybe people should follow police instructions? Or would you prefer that, if he had indeed drawn a weapon, a police officer's family now be in mourning as well?

How about we stop blaming the police and blame those actually responsible for this tragedy, the sacks of shit who put everyone involved into this situation to begin with? Or is that too much to ask as well?
    forcelimaPhryThupliAeandercatofmany

AN' DERE AIN'T NO SUCH FING AS ENUFF DAKKA, YA GROT! Enuff'z more than ya got an' less than too much an' there ain't no such fing as too much dakka. Say dere is, and me Squiggoff'z eatin' tonight!

We are born of the blood. Made men by the blood. Undone by the blood. Our eyes are yet to open. FEAR THE OLD BLOOD. 

#IStandWithVic

• RenoakuRenoaku Member EpicPosts: 3,157

Infinity Ward, Treyarch, Sledgehammer Games, and Activision need to step up and remove all betting from the game.
    True, but is there any proof he gave it with the intention they knew they were going to SWAT someone and did they know what Swatting means?

Also, he is not the one who murdered anyone while his actions lead to someone's death the real person who actually did the crime goes free because they are Law Enforcement?
    jimmywolfPhryAeander
  • jimmywolfjimmywolf Member UncommonPosts: 292
    @Renoaku ;

bit shortsighted an it that opinion what allows these events to exist. ignorance of ones actions should not absolve them of blame, if it lead to the event of ones death or injury.

reminds me of the story of teenagers throwing  rocks on a highways from a bridge down below not small rocks boulder size guess since they "did not know anyone could get hurt " we should forgive them too?

or does telling a cop "their a killer that going kill again at X address send help now! " is just a prank an we should forgive the kid for his poor judgement, am sure he learn his lesson an the family that lost a father just going have to get over it an hope that they can judge the cop for some resolution ( who will also claim self deference ) so they may get nothing but random text as support for their now broken lives while we debate who may or may not be at fault ... 
    RemyVorenderPhryMrMelGibsoncatofmany

• Tiamat64Tiamat64 Member RarePosts: 1,545
    edited January 2018
    Renoaku said:

True, but is there any proof he gave it with the intention they knew they were going to SWAT someone and did they know what Swatting means?

Also, he is not the one who murdered anyone while his actions lead to someone's death the real person who actually did the crime goes free because they are Law Enforcement?
    I don't know if he can be charged with criminal crimes, but I'd be surprised if he couldn't be charged in a civil case (the question then being how much money does he have to even give in reparations).  Civil cases are usually much easier to prove and in the end, he IS the one that gave that family's address so I imagine the family of that address should be able to get some reparations.

It's just that he's probably a deadbeat with no money to give.  After all, he and the swatter were getting all huffy and puffy over a bet of ONE DOLLAR AND FIFTY CENTS, so... yea.  There wouldn't be much point to suing that.
    Phrycatofmany
  • RemyVorenderRemyVorender Member RarePosts: 3,991
    Good! Dumbass.

Joined - July 2004

• LokeroLokero Member RarePosts: 1,514
    The real culprit in most violent incidents these days is the laughable justice system we are stuck with. People rarely get the punishments they deserve. It's time to put the fear of death back in people.
    Regardless of what happens with the SWAT officer who did the actual killing(I wasn't there, so I won't comment on what should happen with him), the guy who started the entire thing should be given a swift, public execution. And in this particular instance, he should be placed in front of a firing squad... dressed in SWAT uniforms.

catofmanygoozmania

Orinori said:

Or, and I know for folks like yourself this is asking a lot, maybe people should follow police instructions? Or would you prefer that, if he had indeed drawn a weapon, a police officer's family now be in mourning as well?

How about we stop blaming the police and blame those actually responsible for this tragedy, the sacks of shit who put everyone involved into this situation to begin with? Or is that too much to ask as well?

Seen a few videos on black people following instructions and still end up dead at the hands of police in the US.
    klash2defPhrycatofmany
  • klash2defklash2def Member EpicPosts: 1,949
    Good he should pay for his stupidity.
    I hope the cop also gets something for his stupidity also.
    catofmany
    "Beliefs don't change facts. Facts, if you're reasonable, should change your beliefs."

"The Society that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting by fools."

Currently: Games Audio Engineer, you didn't hear what I heard, you heard what I wanted you to hear. 

• ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534
    "He has better things to do with his time.”

yep, totaly helped :)

and yes, that idiot making the call should be facing some serious charges imo

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

edited January 2018

Tiamat64 said:

Renoaku said:

I don't know if he can be charged with criminal crimes, but I'd be surprised if he couldn't be charged in a civil case (the question then being how much money does he have to even give in reparations).  Civil cases are usually much easier to prove and in the end, he IS the one that gave that family's address so I imagine the family of that address should be able to get some reparations.

It's just that he's probably a deadbeat with no money to give.  After all, he and the swatter were getting all huffy and puffy over a bet of ONE DOLLAR AND FIFTY CENTS, so... yea.  There wouldn't be much point to suing that.

Involuntary manslaughter usually refers to an unintentional killing that results from recklessness or criminal negligence, or from an unlawful act that is a misdemeanor or low-level felony (such as a DUI). The usual distinction from voluntary manslaughter is that involuntary manslaughter (sometimes called "criminally negligent homicide") is a crime in which the victim's death is unintended.
  • Cyber_wastelandCyber_wasteland Member UncommonPosts: 192
    When are people going to grow up and get over what you were just called in an online game, or the fact that you lost because the other person was better then you. Because this POS wants to be asshurt over a video game a innocent man lost his life. Prison time! Hope he gets comfy in his cell and his ass gets use to bubba, its where he belongs!

I hope the family gets compensation for there loss, such a sad thing to hear.

As for the cop yes he should not have shot on sight when the door opened. It isn't hard to see what the person is wearing how there posture is and if they have a fire arm or not. He should not have shot on sight the way he did. There has to be more to the story then just that even rookie cops are not that stupid.
    PhryThupli

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    When are people going to grow up and get over what you were just called in an online game, or the fact that you lost because the other person was better then you. Because this POS wants to be asshurt over a video game a innocent man lost his life. Prison time! Hope he gets comfy in his cell and his ass gets use to bubba, its where he belongs!

I hope the family gets compensation for there loss, such a sad thing to hear.

As for the cop yes he should not have shot on sight when the door opened. It isn't hard to see what the person is wearing how there posture is and if they have a fire arm or not. He should not have shot on sight the way he did. There has to be more to the story then just that even rookie cops are not that stupid.
    SWAT do not operate on a shoot on sight policy, they will however react extremely quickly to perceived threats, that is because more often than not they are deployed into very tense situations where to do otherwise could and likely would result in the death of themselves and/or their fellow officers, sadly while SWAT'ing is a thing, its only a very small proportion of the number of times a SWAT team will be deployed, so just how are they supposed to know that the situation they are in is the result of a prank call or a live threat. Cops are not stupid, they are also not omniscient which is why pranks such as SWAT'ing can have fatal results. Streamers are often targeted with SWAT'ing incidents, which is why most of them now register with their local law enforcement that because of their activities they may be targetted in this manner, if anyone follows mundanematt at all, then he explains this fairly well, he was after all the victim of one of these malicious pranks himself.
    Its not unsual however for the guilty to try to shift the blame and responsibility on others and lately the Police seem to be an easy target, but like the 'hands up don't shoot' myth, which was proven to be a lie, people would rather believe a lie than accept the truth. :/
    Scorchien
  • ArskaaaArskaaa Member RarePosts: 1,265
    NA police lol