Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Warframe - Does Warframe Need a Gear Score? - MMORPG.com

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited January 2018 in News & Features Discussion

imageWarframe - Does Warframe Need a Gear Score? - MMORPG.com

Warframe is mainly a player verse environment (PvE) game that only helps your team in a mission if someone has paid for anything with real money. Naturally, everything can be obtained through time and luck. There is one thing about Warframe that has confused me for almost five years playing the game, what level am I? That question constantly pops up when I am running a mission, selecting mods, and trying to figure out what I can and should do next in the game.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• synthostarssynthostars Member UncommonPosts: 14
    edited January 2018
    While I see where things can be confusing. Doing something like gear levels for load outs and stuff would start to alienate parts of the community. Anytime something like this is done people who are referred as elitists would randomly kick people cause all of a sudden their gear level isn't high enough and it just leads to other things. While somethings could use an over haul adding something like this just wouldn't work how you would want it to. Thus being used in ways you didn't intend for it to be used.
    GreatswordShibeInuZenJellynicogamerWraithoneMasterDaveyd_20Hagdrisil
  • AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,836
    What purpose would it serve? Warframe is an incredibly easy PvE focused game with such a vast array of poorly balanced gear of unclear tiers that a gear score would be arbitrary at best.

Plus, part of Warframe's appeal is an incredibly friendly community. Gear score elitism would kill that.
    GreatswordKCDDaggerWraithoneMasterDaveyd_20Hagdrisil
  • DinastyDinasty Member UncommonPosts: 212
    Oh hell no!
    NildenMasterDaveyd_20
  • Siris23Siris23 Member UncommonPosts: 388
    I never really understood the hated of gear score, it's just an extension of character level.

You wouldn't invite a lvl 40 to do lvl 50 content, why would you invite a GS 400 player to do content designed for GS 500?
    WraithoneMasterDavey
  • KrumkoKrumko Member UncommonPosts: 12
    Really considering trying this game again since i can't seem to find an mmo to stick with currently.

Also hello to mmorpg.com and the world, i've been visiting this site since i was a wee lad and this is my first post ever since i finally remembered which email i was using back then.
    black_isleBillMurphyKyleranMaelzraelMasterDaveyd_20
  • GreatswordGreatsword Member RarePosts: 354
    Can someone explain to me what a gearscore is and why it is so great? Apparently the games I played (EQ2, GW1+2, ESO, Warframe... hell even Diablo 1-3) didn't have that particular system.
  • klash2defklash2def Member EpicPosts: 1,949
    not really.
    MasterDavey
    "Beliefs don't change facts. Facts, if you're reasonable, should change your beliefs."

"The Society that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting by fools."

Currently: Games Audio Engineer, you didn't hear what I heard, you heard what I wanted you to hear. 

• nomurahnomurah Member UncommonPosts: 42
    There once WAS a gear score called conclave. Obviously this system no longer exists, and was probably removed for not being a thorough representation of why it was what it was. Certain mods gave more conclave, particularly some non-meta/extremely situational mods. With that being said, perhaps they did not feel the need to keep up with what was meta to factor in what gear score would be ideal for certain content, canning the system as a result.

Your initial thought for something you have not accomplished before is to take your best equipment. If your grenade launcher is firing paper balls filled with confetti and your thousand times folded ninja katana is comparable to pvc pipe wrapped in foam, then you should be able to take the hint that your equipment could use some fine tuning. Go back to the drawing board, ask around, do a google search.
    MasterDaveyd_20Hagdrisil
  • GraddoxGraddox Member UncommonPosts: 3
    I think that there would be too many inconsistencies with a gs in this game. Would forma'ing add to the gs? People will forma gear 4-5 times to make it viable for their style of gameplay. If that were the case, that would potentially raise the gs. people would be kicked from random stuff for not being the same gs as the others even though they built a frame that would be considered just as powerful and prove to be a good asset to group based gameplay (not solo). What about potatoing gear? would that add to it as well? Or specific mods? it would lead people more towards meta builds i think instead of individual styles. I just quit bdo since playing since launch. the gs requirements in that for specific guilds. These people are controlling the type of gameplay that you are experiencing. So no, don't add a gear score. the warframe community is amazing and friendly as is.
    MasterDaveyd_20
  • GeorgeNoXGeorgeNoX Member UncommonPosts: 58
    edited January 2018
    no, hell no. Also you already lost me on your first few words. You don't need to pay shit to be able to help your team, all it takes is some practice and skill. You say you played this game for five years but from your post im just not seing it. Gearscore would take all the fun out of this game for me personally, i dont want it and i dont need it. Im glad the game has more complexity than so many others out there, i like that you have to figure things out for yourself and test things for yourself and see what works for you. After all, every player is different and want different things from this game, putting in a gearscore would make everyone chase after that one top build or a goal and that is what would kill this game for me
    KyleranMasterDaveyd_20Hagdrisil
  • MagikarpsGhostMagikarpsGhost Member RarePosts: 689
    Been playing MMOs for a long time (Ultima online) and honestly great scores was one of the worst things added to MMOs. It creates a rift between players making it harder for new players to seek help. It also created a much worse for if elitism.
    MasterDaveycheeseheadsd_20

free 7 day sub and unlocks for swtor new accounts and 90+ day inactive subs click here to get it!

Click here for trove referral, bonuses to both!

• ZenJellyZenJelly Member UncommonPosts: 261
    No
    MasterDaveyd_20
  • ROFLsaurusROFLsaurus Member UncommonPosts: 19
    I only read so far when I realized that the author must just be really bad at this game if he's doing sorties and can't figure out why he's doing "10 to 0" dmg. I got a friend into this game and he's, for lack of a better word, kinda stupid but even he was able to grasp everything and do lvl 40+ missions after only a week or so.
    MasterDaveyd_20

imageI am the ROFLsaurus I go RAWR!!!image

• GruntyGrunty Member EpicPosts: 8,657
    edited January 2018
    Siris23 said:
    I never really understood the hated of gear score, it's just an extension of character level.

You wouldn't invite a lvl 40 to do lvl 50 content, why would you invite a GS 400 player to do content designed for GS 500?
    Warframe does not and should never limit who runs with who.  A MR 1 player can be in a mission with three MR 23 (current max) players.  The MR rating is largely an indicator of how many weapons, warframes, sentinels and pets a player has chosen to maximize on their levels.

An MR 6 player who has chosen to only level one warframe and a few weapons can be as good as the player who has maximized all weapons and warframes.

Gear score would mean nothing in Warframe. 

IF you don't want to run with random players then set your mission setting to 'Friends only'.  Of course that will mean you need friends.

Word of advice to the article's author.  Break those mega paragraphs up into about 3-6 paragraphs each.
    NildenTekaelonKyleranMasterDaveyd_20Kimo
    "I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams
  • KCDDaggerKCDDagger Member UncommonPosts: 2
    I have to agree with a bunch of folks here. Having been on the rejected end of the "elitists" despite the fact that I would be able to pull of some amazing moves and insane survival stunts on raids in WoW and other MMOs that had the Gearscore in their programming (EQ, SWG, GuildWars, etc.). In other games I tend to gear to what works for my play style. The fact that it actually WORKS despite the totally screwed up GS is what hurt me as a player when I needed to do things like high level events, dungeons, or raids.

WoW was considered a reasonably friendly place until GS and other issues came out. Then it became a race to see who could become the biggest a**hole on the servers. It got especially bad when LFR came out and really messed with people's abilities to get into groups because they either did have the gear, but not the time to raid condsistantly, or they had the time, but not the gear and no means of getting it because of the kicks they kept getting in raids.

Now days LFR isn't quite so bad in WoW. But the point here is that GS has proven detrimental to a gaming community in every instance I have encountered it. Formerly "friendly and helpful" communities turned on themselves and became very clique and elitist oriented. If you didn't have the gear, you were ostracized from a majority of guilds/clans because you didn't play hardcore.

I don't want to see that happen to Warframe. I have been on both sides of the helpful coin. To this day I make a point of running a few "low level" instances and then answering questions people who are obviously just starting out, or are getting to that point of "what next" have. People did that for me, and so I pass on the kindness. I want to see that in the Warframe community continue.

MasterDaveyFrodoFraginsd_20

-Dragon Dagger

• NildenNilden Member EpicPosts: 3,916
    The title alone tells me the author has no idea how Warframe works.

There is a mastery rank, warframes, formas, mods, and weapons that make loadouts. You need to specialize for various missions... all of which isn't even worth mentioning if you think Warframe needs a gear score.
    MasterDaveyd_20

"You CAN'T buy ships for RL money." - MaxBacon

"classification of games into MMOs is not by rational reasoning" - nariusseldon

Love Minecraft. And check out my Youtube channel OhCanadaGamer

Try a MUD today at http://www.mudconnect.com/ 

• mystik13mystik13 Member UncommonPosts: 145
    Most of the content is not difficult enough to justify excluding people. Raid groups can talk to people about whether they have done the content before. Decent players can usually carry beginners if they bring the appropriate frame. People can always check mastery rank.

If you are doing a continuous mission and are struggling you can always ask the group to leave or specify length of time you're planning to stay at the onset. There is limited benefit to doing extended continuous missions anyway. You go through a complete cycles of rewards after 20 waves or minutes.
    MasterDaveyd_20
  • jmcdermottukjmcdermottuk Member RarePosts: 1,571
    Gear score just gives people another excuse for acting like dicks so, no, it doesn't need one.
    MasterDaveyd_20Hagdrisil
  • KlaelDemonKlaelDemon Member UncommonPosts: 2
    First off, I think Warframe is a fantastic game that everyone should try at some point. Secondly, in the context of the Warframe game design, I feel like the desire for a gear score system is just asking for validation that you are "good enough" to do certain content. So much of Warframe's gameplay is tied into the idea of build diversity which can drastically shift the balance of player power. Warframe is not a difficult game. You can enter a wide variety of content on a wide variety of frames with a wide variety of builds, and expect to easily clear that content. The dev team at DE has always stated that they do not want to do too much hand holding for the player, because part of the enjoyment of personal progression is testing your mettle and growing as you encounter new challenges. Gear score works well in a linear, numbers based system where you can assess your given DPS on a target in comparison to the incoming damage you are recieving, and determine whether or not you can actually kill the specified target. In Warframe, so many different variables can affect your outgoing and incoming damage, that a number on your screen is not going to be able accurately reflect your ability to deal with a given scenario.

Also, with your aforementioned 600+ hours into Warframe, I feel like the statement of a grind of "countless hours" for Prime parts is a clickbait over exaggeration. If a weapon or frame is in the current rotation, you can grind out the parts in a week easily with a few hours invested each day. If you consider that "countless", or unreasonable, I don't know how to respond.
    MasterDaveyd_20
  • ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534
    "but it has never forced its players to pay for content"

well aaaactually, at some point you need to pay abit, or you are stuck with like 2 warframes and weapoms, and you don't wanna throw away those you leveled :)
    BruceYee

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

• TacticalZombehTacticalZombeh Member UncommonPosts: 430
    No way. I quit WoW (the second time) due to gear score. Leveled up a new character, was having fun. Wanted to start doing some dungeon runs and couldn't get in because my gear score wasn't high enough... but couldn't get my gear score higher without doing runs. The elitists assholes were in full power too. Meh, couldn't be bothered.
    Warframe is fun because you can find your style of combat (and looks) and have fun. GS would ruin it.
    MasterDaveyd_20
  • laubauflo2laubauflo2 Member CommonPosts: 1
    Been there, done that, the "gear score" was called "conclave rating" but due to inconsistencies in calculations due to the large variations of mods and combination possibilities, the "conclave rating" was scuttled.
    And I barely paid for anything in the game, with a bit of luck and a lot of grind you can trade stuff for platinum from other players.
    MasterDaveyd_20
  • k61977k61977 Member EpicPosts: 1,503
    There is a easy way to make it so you wouldn't be able to have the elitist pricks kicking people, you make it only appear to the player only. Sure they could ask you what it is but you don't have to tell them if you don't want to.

I can understand the appeal of the gear score, but in a game like this one where you have to change your loadout to match the mission it wouldn't work right unless it was taking into account what mission you are going to run. Then you also start to run into issues where this must be the best in slot for this type of mission etc...

So overall it wouldn't be hard to stop problems from other players, but isn't really productive to this type of game.
    MasterDavey
  • AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,836
    Thane said:
    "but it has never forced its players to pay for content"

well aaaactually, at some point you need to pay abit, or you are stuck with like 2 warframes and weapoms, and you don't wanna throw away those you leveled :)
    You can trade with other players to get platinum for additional slots and other cash shop items. From past experience, farming in demand items wasn't even difficult or time consuming. 
    MasterDaveyd_20
  • ScaryboosterScarybooster Member UncommonPosts: 24
    The author clearly doesn't understand what he is doing past 30 with all the mods, forma, and potato's. It is simple, your Warframe can be modded up to 30 points without a potato or forma. When you do those things you can mod your Warframe or weapons to a stronger power. That power depends on the mods equiped and what the enemies are weak to. One mission you could go in killing infested at level 100 easy with the installed mods, but that Loadout might be hard against other enemies. It wouldn't matter if there was a Loadout level indicator like the missions have. Why exactly do missions have levels anyways if there is no way of knowing if your loadout is viable? I mean why would I worry if a Pluto mission says 40-50 if I have to pull out my mod spreadsheet to know I should be able to take on level 40-50 infested? I'm sure new players finishing Vor's Prize and are thrusted into a star map with 0 direction can figure out why missions have levels. They should just know your Warframe and weapon levels don't matter in conjunction with those mission indicators.
    MasterDaveyd_20
    Signed by me