Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Computer boot but not signal to monitor??

ecinevecinev Member UncommonPosts: 27
Hello,

My old motherboard msi 870-g46 got damaged, a transistor explode/short out near the cpu area I saw sparks and it wouldnt give monitor signa then it wouldnt boot at all. I replaced my old motherboard with a new motherboard gigabyte 970a ds3p. With my new motherboard my computer boot but not signal to monitor either. I´m not sure what is wrong.

Spec
Motherboard - gigabyte 970a ds3p
CPU - AMD Athlon 4X 630 2.8 GHz
RAM - 4 sticks, 1x Avant 4 GB and 3x Hynyx 2 GB, DDR3
PSU - EVGA Bronze 700W
GPU - EVGA GTX 970

I have another GPU I tried it already wtih my new motherboard as well, not signal. I tried my monitor with another computer and works just fine. My psu is like 6 months old. I didnt install my dvd drive after replacing my mobo, I dont think thats a problem?

I´m not sure If my CPU is dead because a transistor explode/shourt out near and damaged my old motherboard, also im thinking maybe my memory ram isnt compatible with my new motherboard? my ram sticks are a bit old DDR3.

I have tried everything that I have read in forums, unplug and hold power button for 1 minute, I tried rams stick by stick. I´m not sure what to do now.

I hope I can get some help, thanks.

Comments

• maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,173
    You say it's booting but not getting a signal to the monitor, are you hearing it POST correctly? 

• JeffSpicoliJeffSpicoli Member EpicPosts: 2,849
    edited January 2018
    If you have two PCI ports on the motherboard try installing the GPU on the other one
    • Aloha Mr Hand ! 

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,937
    ecinev said:

double check all your connections, make sure the memory is seated correctly.

When I built my computer (my first time btw) I also had the computer boot and nothing to the monitor.

It turned out that my connections weren't solid and I believe my memory wasn't all the way in (not sure if that would cause it but I had several issues with getting the monitor to recognize anything and that was one of the things I found.
    maskedweaselOctagon7711
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • ecinevecinev Member UncommonPosts: 27
    I can´t hear anything, my hard drive blinking led isn´t working either. PSU is working. All fans and cpu fan are working just fine.
    My monitor goes to sleep because can´t get signal vga or dvi. I tried another GPU but Im getting the same problem. Im sure my GPU is fine.
  • JeffSpicoliJeffSpicoli Member EpicPosts: 2,849
    ecinev said:
    My monitor goes to sleep because can´t get signal vga or dvi. I tried another GPU but Im getting the same problem. Im sure my GPU is fine.
    Did you try putting your GPU into another pci slot, it could be a faulty pci slot
    • Aloha Mr Hand ! 

• RobsolfRobsolf Member RarePosts: 4,607
    edited January 2018
    Sovrath is probably on the right path.  I wouldn't assume it's a video issue, but it probably is a hardware issue.  Pull as much hardware from the board as you can; leave just the CPU and a stick of memory, and see if anything changes when you power it up.  Add video, see if you get a signal.  Then the system drive, etc.
    Sovrath said:
    ecinev said:

double check all your connections, make sure the memory is seated correctly.

When I built my computer (my first time btw) I also had the computer boot and nothing to the monitor.

It turned out that my connections weren't solid and I believe my memory wasn't all the way in (not sure if that would cause it but I had several issues with getting the monitor to recognize anything and that was one of the things I found.
    ecinev said:
    I can´t hear anything, my hard drive blinking led isn´t working either. PSU is working. All fans and cpu fan are working just fine.
    I would do as sovrath mentions. Start by reseating everything.  make sure the connections are snapped in properly, make sure you have all of the wires connected properly to the case as well so your HDD light works.  

You can also try disconnecting anything additional,  if you have several sticks of memory, try just installing one in the first seat,  if you have several HDDs or peripherals, only plug in what is necessary.  Try different ports if one or the other isn't working.  

Also make sure  you have enough power running to the video card, make sure there's a secure connection between the PSU and the PCIE Power cable, if your card requires one. 

• BLNXBLNX Member UncommonPosts: 275
    It could have been the CPU was damaged as well (or the memory as some others have said). If it's turning on but nothing is booting, then try removing each memory stick and trying with just one.

Also if the motherboard has a VGA out, try using that for signal, to see if you're still getting any type of screen. If you're not, something else is likely still broken on it. Safe to rule out HDD since it's not getting to that point.

If the memory sticks are not the issue, you may want to try to re-sit your CPU. If that all fails, might be the CPU. Or someone else will have a better answer and I'll look like a jerk :smiley:
    In the King's Court, I choose to be the Jester.
    Ok, I will try my 2nd PCI slot, also I will try my PSU in another computer just incase. I will try to reinstall everything again. I´m wondering if a short out can damage my CPU? my friend put his finger in my CPU and he said it seems to be working just fine?
    Should I try my hard drive in another coumpter or hard drive doesnt give those kind of problems?
    ecinev said:
    Should I try my hard drive in another coumpter or hard drive doesnt give those kind of problems?
    Wouldn't be a hard drive issue.  You would still get the BIOS screen.  It's unlikely to be the CPU. 
    BLNX

Thank you guys! I will update later when I get some news!
    ecinev said:
    Ok, I will try my 2nd PCI slot, also I will try my PSU in another computer just incase. I will try to reinstall everything again. I´m wondering if a short out can damage my CPU? my friend put his finger in my CPU and he said it seems to be working just fine?

Alot can happen when a PC is torn apart, and the arc across the board could have killed it.  But that's why I'd start with as little hardware connected as possible.  Just a stick of ram and the CPU.  Even disconnect any USB hardware.

With video gone, the mobo should beep at you a few times which would be good news; that means it's at least TRYING to post.  Then connect vid and see if it'll finish post and give you video. 
    BLNX
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    its not often that when the mobo dies it doesn't take the cpu with it. if  you are not even getting the initial boot up on monitor, then the cpu is likely the cause.
    BLNXOctagon7711
    Robsolf said:
    ecinev said:

Alot can happen when a PC is torn apart, and the arc across the board could have killed it.  But that's why I'd start with as little hardware connected as possible.  Just a stick of ram and the CPU.  Even disconnect any USB hardware.

With video gone, the mobo should beep at you a few times which would be good news; that means it's at least TRYING to post.  Then connect vid and see if it'll finish post and give you video. 
    Ok I tried what you said, I can hear something from motherboard for like less than 1 sec but not sure what that means. I didn´t get to install video because I unplugd the graphic card.
  • CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,412
    edited January 2018
    The main thing I would suspect is your psu not providing stable power to the mobo. Your computer will still post to bios with a malfunctioning cpu and display it. If your memory was an issue it would constantly restart. I would first eliminate the psu as a possibility by using a different psu.
    I do remember hearing that EVGAs higher wattage 80+ bronze were built cheaply.
    ecinev said:

Ok I tried what you said, I can hear something from motherboard for like less than 1 sec but not sure what that means. I didn´t get to install video because I unplugd the graphic card.
    So the board powered up for a bit, then shut back down?  No beeping?

Sounds like CPU and/or memory, then.  :(
    well I dont have motherboard speaker but I can hear some kind of sound when I turn it on for like 1 sec, cpu cooler keeps going though.
    ecinev said:
    Robsolf said:
    ecinev said:

What exactly are you hearing from the MOBO?  Are there actual beeps, does your case have a speaker and/or is there a speaker on your MOBO? 

In just about every case, even if you just take your memory out completely, you should be getting very loud clear, consistent beeps. 

Robsolf

ecinev said:
    well I dont have motherboard speaker but I can hear some kind of sound when I turn it on for like 1 sec, cpu cooler keeps going though.
    Yeah, it doesn't sound like it's even trying to post.  As MW said, if BIOS was coming up and hardware was missing, the board itself would beep at least once.

It's unfortunate that there's no code reader on this board.  It would make things much more certain.
  • GruntyGrunty Member EpicPosts: 8,657
    edited January 2018
    https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/GA-970A-DS3P-rev-2x#sp

Read the motherboard's manual.  See if it has any on-board indicators of whether the systems has booted at least to BIOS.  You only need a good CPU and 1 stick of good, supported RAM to boot to BIOS.  There should also be an LED indicating whether the CPU is identified as being present.

You don't state the specific RAM model numbers and specs.

Mismatched RAM can cause problems.  RAM not specified as supported by a motherboard manufacturer can cause problems.  Find out if the RAM is specifically supported by the MB.  Try it with only one stick of RAM until all sticks are individually tried.  If it boots with one stick then try two sticks.

System board DIMM slot specs:
    1. 4 x DDR3 DIMM sockets supporting up to 32 GB of system memory (Note 1)
    2. Dual channel memory architecture
    3. Support for DDR3 2000(O.C.)/1866/1600/1333/1066 MHz memory modules (Note 2)
    (Note 2) To support a DDR3 1866 MHz (and above) memory, you must install an AM3+ CPU first.

Post edited by Grunty on
    Robsolf
    "I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams
  • Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    edited January 2018
    There are a bunch of possible issues:

1. Ram sticks not correctly inserted (as others said). Take them out and put in just one and try to boot. Try another stick in another slot until you tested all slots and sticks alone (that will be 4 boots together, don't bother mixing them up).

Most motherboards used to have beeps telling us that there were a problem here but that is rare today. It is not an uncommon problem.

2. PSU connectiotors not correctly inserted. Remove all of them and put them in again. Try to use several different chains so you don't just use 1 or 2. Check your manual so you havn't missed that 6 slot connector directly to the motherboard.

3. CPU fan incorrectly installed. See so it sits tight and straight against the CPU and that it have enough cooling paste but not too much.

4. Try clicking Del as it boots. Try clicking F8. It will probably not help but it if you are extremely lucky it will open the BIOS or boot menu.

It could be the CPU but they tend to be pretty tough.

A severely underpowered or broken PSU can also have the same effect.

My bet is that option 1 will give you a boot. Good luck.
  • QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,347
    The shock that killed your old motherboard could easily have killed other components at the same time.

Weren't you getting a new computer just recently?  Was it a replacement because the old one died, and now you want to get the old one working again?
  • RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383
    Tough situation.

Motherboards still have beep codes, but cases &/or motherboards don't always come with the speaker anymore. The motherboard is turning on the PSU, but that's as far as it seems to be getting. It isn't cycling/rebooting.

I've seen that be a bad DIMM, a bad motherboard, a bad video card, a bad CPU, a bad monitor, a bad USB mouse, a lot of different things.

I think, given the situation your in, if you have access to another computer, it would be easier to pull parts out and verify they work in the second computer, than to take an entire non-working computer and try to deduce which parts are not working when it could be a large combination of parts that are broken.

When motherboards die, it's commonly because the PSU was bad in the first place, but most people just replace the motherboard and carry on (until motherboard #2 fries too, shortly thereafter). It's also not uncommon for RAM, video cards, and other components to die along with it - either because of the motherboard death, or also because they are getting bad power as well.

It could also be as easy as a bad cable to the monitor, or the monitor is dead, as stupid as that sounds.
    [Deleted User]