Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Doesn't it bother you?

This part from the game description:

"The player is a legendary hero, stripped of his or her powerful relics"

It's not a big thing but it does rub me the wrong way.  How many of you have said in the past that you are annoyed by games that tell you you're a great hero or the chosen one or some crap like that when you know very well that the game is telling everyone else the same thing?

I'm sure this will have very little (if any) impact on day to day gameplay.  However, it seems like the wrong tone to take for a game of the type they are making.  I think it would be better if they didn't say anything at all about player characters.  I have a bigger issue with the game than this, it's just a little thing that seems out of whack to me.

ThebeastttDauzqul[Deleted User]Phoebesklash2defbcbully[Deleted User]GdemamijimmywolfThunder073and 1 other.

Comments

• alivenaliven Member UncommonPosts: 346
    Why do you care what game tell other players? 
    ThebeastttThunder073
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,937
    edited January 2018
    I'm ok with being a great hero. Never bothered me at all.

Doesn't bother me that I'm a great hero stripped of everything that made me "great" as that adds a bit of pathos as well as a good backstory.

But yeah, I'm sure others might care. Or, maybe they'll just dismiss it all together.

If the game does nothing to affirm you were once a "great hero", just tells you that once, and then it never comes up again (as most mmorpg's) then it's almost as if it doesn't exist.
    MrMelGibsonKiori001
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • RobsolfRobsolf Member RarePosts: 4,607
    It bothers me more for a game to imply that you're a pathetic shlub if you don't have all your "stuff". 

But that's just me.  Not knowing the whole context, it could be altogether different.
  • AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    Being a legendary hero does not mean you are alone in that regard, or that you are some King or Demi-god.  It just means you have done enough heroic things to garner a reputation. 

Maybe you got the local baker's cat down out of a tree. Who knows? It's not hard being a hero in the eyes of the average mmorpg NPC. 
    MrMelGibsonTsiya

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• NeanderthalNeanderthal Member RarePosts: 1,861
    Amathe said:
    Being a legendary hero does not mean you are alone in that regard, or that you are some King or Demi-god.  It just means you have done enough heroic things to garner a reputation. 

Maybe you got the local baker's cat down out of a tree. Who knows? It's not hard being a hero in the eyes of the average mmorpg NPC. 

Heh, ok.  I hereby dub thee----Amathe, Illustrious savior of cats.  Champion of the makers of baked goods. 

May you be ever vigilante in your duties!

MrMelGibsonPsym0nAmathe[Deleted User]jimmywolfTsiya
  • MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609

It's not a big thing but it does rub me the wrong way.  How many of you have said in the past that you are annoyed by games that tell you you're a great hero or the chosen one or some crap like that when you know very well that the game is telling everyone else the same thing?

I'm sure this will have very little (if any) impact on day to day gameplay.  However, it seems like the wrong tone to take for a game of the type they are making.  I think it would be better if they didn't say anything at all about player characters.  I have a bigger issue with the game than this, it's just a little thing that seems out of whack to me.

This kind of thing is a perfect example of how writing to an individual is different than writing for a group.  You'd think that in a group-oriented game, they'd at least try to write for a group instead of individuals.   "Players are legendary heroes, stripped of their powerful relics." should be the way that reads, or at least one example that more closely meshes with a group philosophy.
    jimmywolfcraftseeker

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

• NeanderthalNeanderthal Member RarePosts: 1,861
    Mendel said:

This kind of thing is a perfect example of how writing to an individual is different than writing for a group.  You'd think that in a group-oriented game, they'd at least try to write for a group instead of individuals.   "Players are legendary heroes, stripped of their powerful relics." should be the way that reads, or at least one example that more closely meshes with a group philosophy.

That's not at all what I was talking about but that's a good point. 
  • JunglecharlyJunglecharly Member UncommonPosts: 167

That's me in real life, don't need to play as myself in a videogame too. Come on, be more creative!
    RobsolfKyleranMrMelGibsonPhoebesjimmywolf
  • AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    Amathe said:

Heh, ok.  I hereby dub thee----Amathe, Illustrious savior of cats.  Champion of the makers of baked goods. 

Thank you. There will be a place for you in my Kingdom. And some baked goods. 
    MrMelGibsonNeanderthaljimmywolf

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• jpedrote52jpedrote52 Member UncommonPosts: 112

Where have you read this?, never seen it in their website, the lore mostly refers to past events and the current age, never said anything about the player characters?
  • DullahanDullahan Member EpicPosts: 4,536
    That was my one gripe about the backstory. Understanding the story though, you basically WERE a hero from the past, but now (at the start of the game) are nothing.

We actually talked about this quite a bit in a thread a year or so ago.

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    no
  • MaurgrimMaurgrim Member RarePosts: 1,324
    You are a great hero, a legend that will save our world.

Level 1...you are in rags only know one skill and use a rusty old training sword.
    Kiori001
  • WellspringWellspring Member EpicPosts: 1,464
    What bothers me is when people use generic, click-bait type titles for a forum topic.

Topic titles should be specific and have at lease some meaning with no other information. A question such as "Doesn't it bother you?" makes absolutely no sense without the rest of the question. 
    some-clueless-guyBeezerbeez
    --------------------------------------------
  • ThebeastttThebeasttt Member RarePosts: 1,130

I agree, every game starts you off at this hero status you didn't even remotely earn. I rather be a farmer that somehow crawls his way to the top by sheer will & determination.

If everyone is a hero, then no one is.
    jimmywolfcraftseeker
  • DaikuruDaikuru Member RarePosts: 797
    It bothers me in most MMOs, you are always the hero, if you like it or not, but what bothers me more is, that you have not the possibility to be anything else, in the most games. Maybe i dont want to slaughter a giant dragon, and run a store, or become the greatest chef in history instead.
    hallucigenocide
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

- Albert Einstein

• kjempffkjempff Member RarePosts: 1,759
    edited January 2018
    I am waiting to see what the actual game is like, hands on. I do have several concerns with Pantheon, and the bggest one certainly is that they will be making a story driven game (which would be a gigantic turnoff). The perception concept sound good, but it could also very well be a mechanic tied to story driven.It is impossible for me to tell if the game designers of Pantheon REALLY understand the concept of not being story driven (like eq), taking into account 15 years of only story driven mmos are there still folks in the industry who knows what that means ? Only time will tell.
  • DauzqulDauzqul Member RarePosts: 1,982

I agree. If someone wants to be a hero, then he or she should do so in a game, e.g., leading a guild into one of the hardest raids, crushing it via World PvP, etc etc etc
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435
    Forget being the legendary hero, I want to be the "sacred cat god" instead, with thousands of worshipers.   :)

[Deleted User]JunglecharlyAmathe

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• svannsvann Member RarePosts: 2,230
    It bothers me mostly because it sounds too much like Rift.
  • BruceYeeBruceYee Member EpicPosts: 2,556
    I think it's a good concept rather than every single player being the savior of ____

Everyone will be on the same level with insecurity issues cause they were once legendary but are now weaklings trying to regain the strength they once had.

It would bother be if the description you quoted said this instead...

"The player is a legendary hero with his or her powerful relics"

• MrMelGibsonMrMelGibson Member EpicPosts: 3,033
    edited January 2018
    Amathe said:
    Amathe said:

Thank you. There will be a place for you in my Kingdom. And some baked goods. 
     @Amathe This is my real life picture.  I was wondering if I could work at your bakery.  I also play chess really well.

Amathe[Deleted User]cheyane
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Yeah op's point is that it is just feeding a load of rubbish,everyone can't be the hero.

As to reading more into the phrase,i sure hope it is not a game where we have a linear goal like a single player game to seek out relics via instance boss fighting,that would ruin it all for me.
    I get this real bad feeling that Brad just can't shake that EQ desire to yet again make an instance Boss dungeon fighting game.

All i can do is hope not.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081

Just words, 
    This fits EVERY other game ever made.  Just because they say it among so much lore VR is giving us, and it has to bother the OP ? 

Classic lore was always the best in all mmos. I remember my first few days in Vanilla WoW, I would read two paragraphs but later realized it was optional and only the last sentence was important. You had a choice. 
  • WarlyxWarlyx Member EpicPosts: 3,361
    i killed 10 rats , im the sewer's hero :)
    Daikuruklash2defMrMelGibson