Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What's This About CCP Making a 'New & Highly Ambitious MMORPG'? - MMORPG.com News

13»

Comments

• anemoanemo Member RarePosts: 1,903
    Kossuth said:
    I'm sure it will be a costly failure as per their track record. The previous management structure and project management revelations from internal sources made grim reading. This is from someone who has been to nine fanfests in Iceland before you think I hate CCP. ;) Coincidentally, when did a hiring post with no information become worthy of a banner headline?
    It's all part of the new "Hype Cycle" of MMOs.  

At least it isn't as bad as normal gaming "news"  where it's news that a "rumor"/"screenshot"(leaked by PR) that there will be news a week later, for that news to just be news of an announcement that will be happening later in the week, then for that announcement to be naming a game that PR has leaked enough info of that the only real news is it's name.

Practice doesn't make perfect, practice makes permanent.

"At one point technology meant making tech that could get to the moon, now it means making tech that could get you a taxi."

• SomeguynamedSomeguynamed Member UncommonPosts: 69

Alomar said:

It's like they've copied Blizzard's business model with WoW, but do it so horribly wrong. Using Eve's success and revenue to develop other games, but failing in both Eve development and that of other titles. After the last round of layoffs, they're probably one more flop away from folding or selling. As a longtime Eve player (2005), I can tell you the trust and confidence from the community is at an all-time low.

I also think if Eve Online continues its current trajectory, the company will either be sold, or one day we will just hear out of the blue that the servers are closing down.

The problem is Eve Online is not evolving with the market. Because there are so many nerdy gamers in the game that have been playing since 2009 or whatever, and they rage at any sign of change.

Everybody is busy nowadays, they have jobs, they gotta make money, spend time getting stuck in traffic etc.

Who has the time to sit there and gate camp or roam for 2 hours, for some 15 - 30 minute action that MAY or MAY NOT happen?

Kyleran
  • PurplePoloPlayerPurplePoloPlayer Member UncommonPosts: 145
    I wonder if it will be space related. It's going to be tough to compete with Star Citizen once that releases. 
    Check out my stream at www.twitch.tv/purplepoloplayer!
  • CalaruilCalaruil Member UncommonPosts: 141
    edited January 2018
    Calaruil said:
    A true horror MMORPG would be quite cool.

OMG, this site is full of them. Pick one.

Hmmm this site doesn't allow my keyboards smilies...
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435

Alomar said:

It's like they've copied Blizzard's business model with WoW, but do it so horribly wrong. Using Eve's success and revenue to develop other games, but failing in both Eve development and that of other titles. After the last round of layoffs, they're probably one more flop away from folding or selling. As a longtime Eve player (2005), I can tell you the trust and confidence from the community is at an all-time low.

I also think if Eve Online continues its current trajectory, the company will either be sold, or one day we will just hear out of the blue that the servers are closing down.

The problem is Eve Online is not evolving with the market. Because there are so many nerdy gamers in the game that have been playing since 2009 or whatever, and they rage at any sign of change.

Everybody is busy nowadays, they have jobs, they gotta make money, spend time getting stuck in traffic etc.

Who has the time to sit there and gate camp or roam for 2 hours, for some 15 - 30 minute action that MAY or MAY NOT happen?

Everyone has the same 24 hours in a day as they did 10 years ago.

They may chose to spend those hours differently due to changes in life styles, preferences, or newly available options, but there still is a market for both short and long term content, which EVE continues to offer.

But hell, its getting old,  I enjoyed it for over 7 yrs of sub time,  but there just isn't any content I'v not yet done. (That I'm interested in at least)

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• MaxBaconMaxBacon Member LegendaryPosts: 7,765
    Well it's interesting to see what they are up to, not sure what can come if they perhaps follow into a game that follows EvE itself.
  • SomeguynamedSomeguynamed Member UncommonPosts: 69
    Kyleran said:

Alomar said:

They may chose to spend those hours differently due to changes in life styles, preferences, or newly available options, but there still is a market for both short and long term content, which EVE continues to offer.

But hell, its getting old,  I enjoyed it for over 7 yrs of sub time,  but there just isn't any content I'v not yet done. (That I'm interested in at least)
    True, but many older gamers are moving on with their life, or moving on to different games. While newer gamers are not joining Eve Online fast enough. So I guess as far as market competitiveness is concerned, there something is wrong with the game concept that Eve Online was founded on because it doesn't pique the interest of current gamers.

I would not be surprised if the new "ambitious" project is something like Star Citizen or Elite Dangerous. Seems like that's where the market is headed.

I just hope whatever they do, Eve Online still be the main game, and if something is being made to "replace" or enhance Eve, then all of our accounts, assets, etc. will be moved over.
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435
    Kyleran said:

Alomar said:

True, but many older gamers are moving on with their life, or moving on to different games. While newer gamers are not joining Eve Online fast enough. So I guess as far as market competitiveness is concerned, there something is wrong with the game concept that Eve Online was founded on because it doesn't pique the interest of current gamers.

I would not be surprised if the new "ambitious" project is something like Star Citizen or Elite Dangerous. Seems like that's where the market is headed.

I just hope whatever they do, Eve Online still be the main game, and if something is being made to "replace" or enhance Eve, then all of our accounts, assets, etc. will be moved over.
    I don't see them doing a SW style make over for EVE, maybe it will be a survival style game with space zombie pirate NPCs to evade.

;)

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon