Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The MMOsThat Had It Worst in 2017 - The List - MMORPG.com

13»

Comments

• sayuusayuu Member RarePosts: 766

Geeky said:

Bill,

Good job in "writing" an article that plays right into the MMORPG communities favorite thing. Bashing MMO's. Way to work for the community and industry that is doing so much for you. You do such a shit job at promoting growth and innovation in the genre and are only ever a second fiddle to "breaking news" in the field. This site could and should be such a positive resource for MMO's but it's mouth is stuck around Blizzards cock that nothing decent comes from this site anymore.

good job in "writing" a forum post that shows you know nothing about how a news site works. . .
  • ConstantineMerusConstantineMerus Member EpicPosts: 3,338
    Geeky said:
    Bill,
    Good job in "writing" an article that plays right into the MMORPG communities favorite thing. Bashing MMO's. Way to work for the community and industry that is doing so much for you. You do such a shit job at promoting growth and innovation in the genre and are only ever a second fiddle to "breaking news" in the field. This site could and should be such a positive resource for MMO's but it's mouth is stuck around Blizzards cock that nothing decent comes from this site anymore.
    One article that talks about MMOs that didn’t have a good year, and this is your input? I even kept the kid gloves on here, and tried to frame most of this article around hope for 2018. We are damned if we do, damned if we don’t. Either we are bought off, or too negative. Which is it? Can’t have it both ways. 

You are bought off when you like the stuff that I hate and too negative when criticize the stuff that I like. 

Is it really complicated? Not sure why you can't get your head around such simple logic. It's not like we're talking about the definition of MMO or something! ;)

Don't let a single post get you down on this day mate. Happy new year and don't worry, even if you call Solitaire an MMO I'd still love you, in a manly old fashioned way obviously! <3
    BillMurphy
    Constantine, The Console Poster

• "One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out of touch with their instinctive selves." - Carl Jung
  • Dr_BinksDr_Binks Member UncommonPosts: 271
    Out of this list RO is the one I do feel bad about. It is a game that does have a lot to offer ,,, it was just let down by My.COM, and NetEasy, They took out the heart of the game because they were too lazy to localize it. We lost all of the story as they cut all the cut seens along with all of the other stuff you just didnt know what it was,,,,

SoA is just so slow and never mind that the combat is really bad. Also it really doesnt offer anything new other then you have to read,,,, and read,,,, and read,,,, and read some more in hope you find the right key word so you can get a NPC to give you a quest,,,
    BillMurphy
  • Rogal_UrsonRogal_Urson Member UncommonPosts: 26

Wraithone said:

I notice that you didn't mention Wildstar, Bill... I continue to be amazed that NCsoft hasn't pulled the plug yet. From what I hear (rumor) its the pet project of someone in the upper management over there. Given NCsofts long history of axing western games, I'm wondering how long even that will save them.

Its too bad, as its not a bad game. It does have fun elements, but it tries to be too many things, to too many people. Not to mention the earlier "hard core" focus, in an age of casuals...

Wildstar was a pet project. It was a bunch of WoW devs who got upset that Blizz was "catering to the casuals." They left and founded Carbine and started developing Wildstar. Once they got NCSoft to publish, they started testing. I was there for both a closed and open beta. The game for all intensive purposes was pretty much unplayable. Servers were overloaded so bad, that it caused massive control lag, making it hard to complete things like jumping puzzles.

It was one of the devs from Carbine who helped bring the beginning of the battle between the so called "filthy casuals" and the "hardcores" further dividing the gaming market. Sadly, many of the so -called "hardcores" are moving to games covered in eSports, like League, Starcraft 2, and HOtS.

For a developer to take the attitude to practically tell an entire sub-group of players "We don't want you playing our game. It's not for you." is to completely shoot yourself in the foot. But yes, I do agree that NCSoft needs to pull the plug. From what I have heard, the server population has gone down dramatically.
  • KonfessKonfess Member RarePosts: 1,667
    edited December 2017
    Couldn't the folks at "Marvel Heroes Online" just remove all the IP content and remake the game? Or is the IP what everyone plays for?

Pardon any spelling errors
    Konfess your cyns and some maybe forgiven
    Boy: Why can't I talk to Him?
    Mom: We don't talk to Priests.
    As if it could exist, without being payed for.
    F2P means you get what you paid for. Pay nothing, get nothing.
    Even telemarketers wouldn't think that.
    It costs money to play.  Therefore P2W.

I tried Shroud of the Avatar and didn't notice the problem with microtransactions or anything that seemed to warrant the incredible ranting acid venomous responses it keeps getting. I did quit fairly soon, after realizing it wasn't quite as innovative as I'd hoped, but it seemed pretty much on par with a lot of games I've tried (and I've tried quite a few), worse in some ways but better in others.

The problem with MMORPGs for me is that they all come down to the same sort of basic gameplay -- go out and kill some things by yourself, or maybe now and then join a mob of other players to take down something big. There may be crafting but likely you have to kill some things to get the ingredients, and all you do is follow a recipe to put ingredients into slots and you get what the recipe says it will produce.

There may be fishing but it's not really like fishing. Fishing only in certain spots, or there's no rhyme or reason to which fish you catch, except for the level. You may have to type a code in a limited time to catch the fish, or do something else that's more like playing an arcade game than simply reeling in the fish. Same with everything else that's not fighting.

And I don't know what all the fuss about different combat systems is all about -- they all come down to mashing some buttons or keys till the poor "monster" or "enemy" is dead.

You could know all about chemistry, metallurgy, physics, engineering, biology -- none of that is going to help you in the "survival" games or the "crafting," etc., and you're not going to learn anything about them, not even virtual, simplified, other-worldly versions of them. Unless you count knowing the recipes which everyone else is walked through.

The game may have a "lore" about ancient civilizations, but will knowing different languages or linguistics or coding help you translate hieroglyphics or symbols or alphabetic writing? Does a team ever ask if there's someone who knows how to reprogram the robots or anything that takes real intelligence or real-world knowledge?

Does any game even allow for trying to combine different ingredients so that someone who applies themselves to "alchemy" or whatever might discover something new, something that wasn't entirely pre-programmed into the game?

So for me, it all seems to come down to different flavors of following instructions (from "NPCs" that might as well be just signposts) as to what and how many of them I need to go and kill next. Different settings, different graphics (and levels of detail), different bells and whistles of other little things to do for variety, but none of that really makes much difference.
    @DavodtheTutt, a game / program can only do what we program it to do.  What we program it to do is limited by space, the we give to assets like textures, models, animations, shaders, effects, sounds, music, voice acting, and text.  Those are really the big space hogs, the game mechanics can take even less room leaving less than enough room for the quality of experimentation and discovery you are talking about.  To add what you are talking about go to that list and cross out what you don't want like textures, models, and animations?

Fishing is a way of dropping rare loot into a game, nothing more, and that is what player want out of it.  No one really wants a "Fishing Simulator" in their MMORPG.  If they did some one would have made one, like they did with "European Trucking", "Farming Equipment", and "Japanese Trains."  BTW, the trains is shutting down, but all the others are doing strong.

You have a problem with crafting recipes?  Let me explain how a database works.  Data, the items in a game are stored, each and every one of them.  They are defined and therefore they exist.  This takes space on hardware that takes money.  MONEY that players refuse to spend, that they insist is P2W or Money Grabbing.  So why should we give gamers something they don't want to pay for or buy?

Yeah, NPC are just sign post, good job done on solving that mystery.  Click on an NPC and you get to read some text out of a database.  They are not AI or paid humans actually talking to you.  If gamers were ready to spend $100 just buying a game, then spending $60 per month on the subscription.  Then they could have the feature you are describing.  But they wont, so they wont get them.
    DavodtheTutt

Geeky said:
    Bill,
    One article that talks about MMOs that didn’t have a good year, and this is your input? I even kept the kid gloves on here, and tried to frame most of this article around hope for 2018. We are damned if we do, damned if we don’t. Either we are bought off, or too negative. Which is it? Can’t have it both ways. 
    These kids wouldn't know a paid for review if it was stapled to their foreheads.  You did a good job with this article, everyone there just keep up the good work.  The fight isn't over just yet.

• Grasshoppa2000Grasshoppa2000 Member UncommonPosts: 18

My sister and I actually enjoyed Devilian. I enjoy ARPGs; I know that a lot of people don't have much respect for them. It was only when I had an issue with customer support is when I decided to "quit", so I have no idea what the population is like now.

This article sounds a little too much like "this game is dead" for my liking. Something I absolutely despise other gamers saying.

In this case, the remarks aren't far off for the game if you login and look around. Curiosity got the better of me so I signed on Saturday, tossed it into the background, and checked back maybe 12 hours later when I shut down. Main hub town Asperon was empty and only saw 4 messages posted to chat over that time. I would say no more than 10 players online at any single time and that might be generous.

It isn't helped when the game doesn't even run with the latest Windows 10 Fall Creators update (the 1709 patch). Archeage players want to see what really terrible customer support is and a Korean developer that doesn't give a crap? Head over to Trions forum for Devilian. Trion doesn't even respond to players asking about the crashing bug.
  • NephethNepheth Member RarePosts: 473
    edited December 2017

Ozmodan said:

Aeander said:

mussolini said:

"Richard Garriott is a legend" Sorry why he is? He is failing all the times with his games. I dont think hes a legend. If you read his name just skip that game so actually yes he is. Legend of epic fails...

Legend is the wrong word to describe him. He's a relic. Important to history, but incapable of competing in the market even 10 years ago with Tabula Rasa, let alone today.

Everyone wants to ding Tabula Rasa when it was a decent game.  He did make the Ultima's with Ultima Online being the first real MMO(Meridian 59 was such a secret that few actually played the game).  So yes he is a legend who has not had a hit in a while, but them few designers seem to ever follow hits with subsequent ones.

Ultima Online is not the first real mmorpg though... Tibia released months before Ultima did. And it is a much great success than Ultima. It is still running today and has more players than most mmos out there. I don't know why people try to ignore this game but Tibia is the first "real" mmorpg. There are older mmos than Tibia too but they lack some of the features that real mmos must have.
  • xMorbidAngeLxMorbidAngeL Member UncommonPosts: 17
    funny that SWTOR is not in the list so far i know they have a very hard time
    its stile a very good mmorpg if you go for the story

but EA making the game look sad
  • nemein1nemein1 Member UncommonPosts: 10
    Divillian i tried to like but it kinda sucked everything was bland about it like the crappy version of diablo.
    then there is albion online i wanted that so much but then, just before it came out it went from f2p to b2p, and they slapped a big load of money on it to even play it.
    Rev online i had hopes for, i even brought the big pack for the game and it was such a let down, some quests i couldnt do or was just guessing at the pick an answer in korean still, it was a complete joke and you was forced into dungeons to get stuff to craft gear so you could level up or you wouldnt get into groups, one of the worst leveling systems i have seen in a mmo and i have played alot of them.
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955
    edited January 2018
    It is always a shame when you see good ideas and work go to waste. This is a wider issue for all gaming publishers though, who seem to so rarely learn from past failures and issues. Once you have a hit just stick to the hit, once you have a dead horse, don't flog it.
  • SarlaSarla Member UncommonPosts: 316
    edited January 2018
    LOL screw Richard Garrott, I am sill mad tramel came out hahahah
  • PeskyPesky Member UncommonPosts: 157
    Oh God! You had to remind me. Albion Online is the worst purchase I made last year. But it's my own stupid fault. I was absolutely desperate for something to play and I acted on impulse. Idiot!
  • ThebeastttThebeasttt Member RarePosts: 1,130
    Good article. Albion's beta moved at a snails pace and ended up being more repetitive than most NES games. Shroud of the Avatar might actually beat Vanguard as the most unpolished turd of all time.
  • postlarvalpostlarval Member EpicPosts: 2,003

Ozmodan said:

Aeander said:

mussolini said:

"Richard Garriott is a legend" Sorry why he is? He is failing all the times with his games. I dont think hes a legend. If you read his name just skip that game so actually yes he is. Legend of epic fails...

Legend is the wrong word to describe him. He's a relic. Important to history, but incapable of competing in the market even 10 years ago with Tabula Rasa, let alone today.

Everyone wants to ding Tabula Rasa when it was a decent game.  He did make the Ultima's with Ultima Online being the first real MMO(Meridian 59 was such a secret that few actually played the game).  So yes he is a legend who has not had a hit in a while, but them few designers seem to ever follow hits with subsequent ones.

Richard Garriott didn't "make" UO. He was the producer.

Raph Koster was the designer. HE made UO.

• postlarvalpostlarval Member EpicPosts: 2,003
    Forgrimm said:
    I haven't heard a peep about Albion since shortly after release. Did the pop die out already?
    It has its core player base, which is all SI ever wanted (and planned for). The snowflakes and whiners are leaving, which improves the game for the rest of us.

AO is a fringe MMO with a very specific type of player. It will do just fine.

• TintagilTintagil Member UncommonPosts: 214
    I see so many people complain about the combat in Wildstar, but I don't really understand that perspective. What makes it bad? To be clear I'm not asking about someone's preferences for tab targeting or some other combat style. More specifically, what objectively makes it bad?

Also, cartoony/realistic graphics are not reasons for a game being good or bad, but rather reasons why it would appeal to some people rather than others. Just because someone doesn't like something does not make it bad.

I'm not trolling here, I'm honestly curing about this because I personally enjoyed Wildstar and wish it had done better. I really wonder at the true reasons why the game failed. I've read about lots of toxicity and infighting within Carbine studios. Perhaps there were other factors at play as well like the decision to use a subscription model over btp/ftp given the current climate of MMO pay models.

Regardless of the reasons, I'll always be a but sad when I think of WS. I really think it had a lot of potential. It could have been a successful game, but matters is that clearly it is not.