Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Pre-Alpha Testers Being Invited in for a Looksee at a Literally Growing Game - Pantheon: Rise of the

2»

Comments

• TokkenTokken Member EpicPosts: 3,549
    Just too spendy to buy in yet.

Proud MMORPG.com member since March 2004!  Make PvE GREAT Again!

• LustsLusts Member RarePosts: 205

Lusts said:

$1,000 for pre-alpha access. Holy fucking balls Batman. If I remember correctly, this is also a game where you have to pay $5 a month to post on their forums. LOL Fuck this game.

Bye bye, it's also will have a sub, hopefully that will be enough to keep you away for good.
    Lol, I have no problem with subscription based games. There are a few I play nowadays. I prefer Buy to Play and Subscription based models. That being said, most; if not all Pay to Play games allow free access to their forums. This allows people who do not own the game or aren't subscribed to ask questions on said forums from the player base to get an idea of what the game is about.

I don't know about you, but I prefer hearing about a game from players over what developers telling me what the game is about. One thing I've learned when it comes to the industry, is that developers are way too passionate about what they are making (which is fine to be passionate), but the way game mechanics or the game as a whole is described is far from what the game actually is. I don't care for honeyed words from a developer or publisher. I care about what other people's experiences with the game are.

So you're response to "It will have a sub so I hope it keeps you away" is quite pathetic. I don't care what anyone has to say, paying a developer $1,000 to test their game for them is beyond insane. I can get founder packages between $30-$150 ranges. Sure; those are more affordable, but $1,000. Yeah no.
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,001
    What I was told about the pre-alpha thing was that they didn't need any more testers, but thought why not leave it available at a high price for those really interested (and have the means) to test it out.

Honestly THERE IS NO REAL ADVANTAGE to spending the money unless you want to really be involved and test the game. It's for those that want to throw money at Brad to help him make his game and he's letting you be there while they make it now.

For most this is not a good deal, not at all. You're donating money to the project and if you don't want to do that, you shouldn't spend the money. For those that can spend the money and want to see it made, I wish them the best of luck. I hope the community is so rabid and single focused on helping the dev team make a phenomenal game. We need a solid 2017 MMO that harkens back to the old PVE MMOs of yesteryear.
    Pretty much all this.
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • Kurgan_5-0Kurgan_5-0 Member CommonPosts: 2
    Would be nice IF YOU KNOW what you are talking about Lusts

Lusts said:

$1,000 for pre-alpha access. Holy fucking balls Batman. If I remember correctly, this is also a game where you have to pay $5 a month to post on their forums. LOL Fuck this game.

This is NOT TRUE forum access is free you just need to make 1 account no payment for General forum
    and that is like 90% of the forum
    Soooo happy you wont play this game Lusts

Kyleran
  • jpedrote52jpedrote52 Member UncommonPosts: 112

Lusts said:

Lusts said:

Bye bye, it's also will have a sub, hopefully that will be enough to keep you away for good.

Lol, I have no problem with subscription based games. There are a few I play nowadays. I prefer Buy to Play and Subscription based models. That being said, most; if not all Pay to Play games allow free access to their forums. This allows people who do not own the game or aren't subscribed to ask questions on said forums from the player base to get an idea of what the game is about.

I don't know about you, but I prefer hearing about a game from players over what developers telling me what the game is about. One thing I've learned when it comes to the industry, is that developers are way too passionate about what they are making (which is fine to be passionate), but the way game mechanics or the game as a whole is described is far from what the game actually is. I don't care for honeyed words from a developer or publisher. I care about what other people's experiences with the game are.

So you're response to "It will have a sub so I hope it keeps you away" is quite pathetic. I don't care what anyone has to say, paying a developer $1,000 to test their game for them is beyond insane. I can get founder packages between $30-$150 ranges. Sure; those are more affordable, but $1,000. Yeah no.

First of all you can ask question on their official reddit, besides that the game is not out yet, No one has played the game and even if they had played it there's and NDA that does not allow them to talk about the alpha phases of the game. Finally there's 8+ hours of gameplay footage that will give you a pretty good idea of what the game is about.

Official access to the forums requires a fee, because, try and guess it, the game is in development what a shocker, and the forums are there to have discussions about the games future mechanics, what the players would like to see, and above all they're a way for supporters to give feedback (specially when the game enter later testing phases), so you can understand why they don't allow free access to the "official development forums"

No one is forcing you to pay 1k to test a game, the 1k price tag is there for people that can/want to support the team in a meaningful way and the pre-alpha access is just an added bonus, (contrary to popular belief Pantheon has a dedicated testing team). Also most players that have pre-alpha access bought it during the initial (failed) kickstarter campaign during 2014 for 200-250€

Also, WoW does not allow access to their forums unless you have a sub.
    KyleranBordonin
  • LustsLusts Member RarePosts: 205
    Would be nice IF YOU KNOW what you are talking about Lusts

Lusts said:

This is NOT TRUE forum access is free you just need to make 1 account no payment for General forum
    and that is like 90% of the forum
    Soooo happy you wont play this game Lusts

Lol, you only get access to view the forums. Did you read my post? I was talking about how you have to pay $5 a month to post on the forums.

Screenshot of said claim: http://prntscr.com/hnnf0n

Lusts said:

Lusts said:

First of all you can ask question on their official reddit, besides that the game is not out yet, No one has played the game and even if they had played it there's and NDA that does not allow them to talk about the alpha phases of the game. Finally there's 8+ hours of gameplay footage that will give you a pretty good idea of what the game is about.

Official access to the forums requires a fee, because, try and guess it, the game is in development what a shocker, and the forums are there to have discussions about the games future mechanics, what the players would like to see, and above all they're a way for supporters to give feedback (specially when the game enter later testing phases), so you can understand why they don't allow free access to the "official development forums"

No one is forcing you to pay 1k to test a game, the 1k price tag is there for people that can/want to support the team in a meaningful way and the pre-alpha access is just an added bonus, (contrary to popular belief Pantheon has a dedicated testing team). Also most players that have pre-alpha access bought it during the initial (failed) kickstarter campaign during 2014 for 200-250€

Also, WoW does not allow access to their forums unless you have a sub.
    First of all, I want to say that an NDA on a paid access game / test is bullshit. Any game that has an NDA and charges you get access to an NDA restricted test kind of invalidates the NDA. Now, for $1,000; I'll give you the argument that people are less likely to breach NDA; but I've seen how stupid people can get sometimes just to troll or prove a point. When you charge for access to a game test that is under NDA, there will be people who violate the NDA cause there is no vetting process in who gets to test the game. It's just an upfront fee that makes it accessible to just about anyone.

Next, "the 1k price tag is there for people that can/want to support the game in a meaningful way" is a bullshit argument. That is honeyed words telling the masses "Oh, you can help us by giving us money for an incomplete game and we will give you access to test it.". Paying to test games has always been a marketing strategy to make money prior to a game being completed and sold. That is why the whole Founder Pack, Early Access, and Pre-Order trend is such a norm today. It was originally a way to sell a game prior to it's completion or release.

No game is ever worth $1,000 to test it. Let alone pre-order it. I don't care what anyone has to say "Oh it helps the developers". Saying that paying $1k is for people to support the game in a meaningful way is basically saying anyone who tests the game without paying $1k does not help development or the game in a meaningful way.

Say I do like the game, am I going to spend $1,000 in the course of me playing it? Do I really need to spend $1,000 on all the junk included in the package just to test the game? Would I normally spend $1,000 on said junk after the games launch? Likely not. The thing I run into whenever I buy founder packages, is that the majority of the items I get in said package; I typically stop using after awhile.

That being said, I am not arguing from a point of view where "I am entitled to test this game". I really don't care if I do get the chance to test the game or not. My point is, $1,000 for the ability to just test a game that isn't even complete is insane.

Now, onto the last two things I wanted to touch up on. 8+ hours of gameplay? From who, the devs or a player? Cause if it's developer footage; it's something I usually take with a grain of salt. Said footage is usually made to show you what they want you to see and not the game as a whole. That is why I said I rather hear from a players point of view over a devs point of view. They are usually always different. As for the "WoW does not allow you post on their forums unless you have a sub", I did say "Most, if not all". Referring to the fact that there may or may not be games who do restrict access.

Anyways, I spent way too long writing this up. My point being is. $1,000 is way too much to access a testing phase of the game. Specially for a game you don't know if you are going to play long-term. And I don't believe people when they say "I will play this game long term". I've seen many people say the same thing and quit a game shortly after launch due to a game not being what they thought it to be. No one knows if they are going to play a game long term until a game is complete and released.

So I keep with the "I am glad you won't be playing this game" comments. I never said I wouldn't. I just disagree with how the game is being marketed. I may or may not play the game at it's launch. Who knows, I might like it. It is not up to you to assume whether or not I am going to be playing.
  • DarkswormDarksworm Member RarePosts: 1,081

Lusts said:

Players often bring other players with them.

The fact that you have this attitude tells me that you're probably going to be more of a problem than he would be.

$1,000 to play a pre-alpha is a laughable rip-off. The fact that you're defending-by-proxy with this weak comeback is hilarious. Many people have no issues paying subs, but no one would pay $1,000 for a trial. That's what this basically is.

I'm also not going to touch it, simply because the business practices lead me to think that this is an easily corruptible gaming company. I'm sure they will make many promises to get people to play it, but I have no faith that they'll keep them considering they're already basically lumping themselves in with the worst of the worst with this cash grab.

Have fun in it. Ashes of Creation is coming, and I'm a bit more excited about that one, frankly.

This is basically EverQuest 1.5. Nothing I haven't experienced before.
  • DarkswormDarksworm Member RarePosts: 1,081
    Also, my first statement is important... I gifted Diablo 3 Battle Chest to 2 players in the past week. If I didn't play Diablo 3, then that's 3 sales Blizzard wouldn't have gotten. While you may not agree with this specific player on this specific issue, perhaps those other 2 players he potentially could have bought to the game would have been more agreeable to you...

If you drive him away from the game, then he might just get them to Play WoW, FFXIV, Aion, Ashes of Creation, GW2, TESO, Tera, or some other random MMORPG with him. MMORPGs are inherently social games, and people are biased to those they actually know (not online know... IRL know). That's why WoW maintains a high playerbase. There are a lot of IRL friends who play WoW - and they aren't going to leave their IRL friends to play this game, if their IRL don't want to play this game.

Insinuating someone is an awful person simply because they think paying $1,000 for Pre-Alpha access isn't only ethically fallacious, but a pretty toxic thing to do. Good Job, there.
  • OshoOsho Member UncommonPosts: 18
    Great milestone!
  • KajidourdenKajidourden Member EpicPosts: 3,030
    edited December 2017
    I will be on the lookout for some gameplay, if they're not going the NDA route.  I feel like if your game is crowdfunded there is no justification for closing people off to info once people are testing it.  At least for people who bought into it.  I'm only at the beta tier personally from KS.
  • OshoOsho Member UncommonPosts: 18
    I guess this 1K pledge wasn't meant for the people who just wanne test the game. Its more like; There're a lot of people out there who really want a game like this gem to come true and this is the only brave company trying to build and creat it..
  • HaplosHaplos Member UncommonPosts: 82
    Game looks very good to me. I paid early to play EQ next and it bombed without ever launching, so I'm going to wait till it goes live. That said they are raising money for the game, and it people are inclined to spend money to get a look at it, more power to them. I am pretty sure Lusts is not going to....did I get that right? (g).
  • WellspringWellspring Member EpicPosts: 1,464
    Haplos said:
    Game looks very good to me. I paid early to play EQ next and it bombed without ever launching, so I'm going to wait till it goes live. That said they are raising money for the game, and it people are inclined to spend money to get a look at it, more power to them. I am pretty sure Lusts is not going to....did I get that right? (g).
    By paying to play EQ Next early, do you mean Landmark? Did they ever have testers playing EQN?
    --------------------------------------------
  • WarlyxWarlyx Member EpicPosts: 3,363
    Haplos said:
    By paying to play EQ Next early, do you mean Landmark? Did they ever have testers playing EQN?
    he probably means landmark , EQ next didnt even had a closed alpha afaik.
  • DaranarDaranar Member UncommonPosts: 392
    bentrim said:
    Wow, this game is quickly losing my interest. The PATHETIC tiers of launches (money grabs). Way to COMPLETELY burn-off any excitement that I had for this game. Please people DONT FEED THIS MONSTER ANY MORE!!! Make them come with a FINISHED product, or NO MONEY!!!!
    No absolutely I will NOT.  For them to come to us with a finished product, they need an advance.  Where do they get an advance?  From companies like EA, UBISOFT, Activision, Daybreak, etc... who then try to control everything about the game, rush the developers forcing half assed features, and an empty mold of a game, and far worse monetization practices than some of these independent crowd-funded games.  I very much support these types of games because they are our only hope to get good games anymore (now that video games are a multi-billion dollar industry) that are the vision of creative developers without the taint of corporate giant publishers.   I want the people in charge of game development to be gamers with a vision and a passion, not a board of wall street investors who will never even log into the game.
    pantaro

If I want a world in which people can purchase success and power with cash, I'll play Real Life. Keep Virtual Worlds Virtual!

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,001
    Lusts said:
     I just disagree with how the game is being marketed. I may or may not play the game at it's launch. Who knows, I might like it. It is not up to you to assume whether or not I am going to be playing.
    You really are very much a glass half empty person aren't you?

They need money, they don't have money. They decided that if people want this type of game then those people might also want to fund this type of game. They made tiers of funding and of course added benefits because you can't just take a person's money and not give them anything.  "Thanks for the $1000 cya next year!".

Of course they want to make it fun and enticing for people who are excited about the game and its prospects.

They even have it so that you can contact the company if you want to become and actual investor.

So again, they are looking for money for development.

I'm not sure if they are looking for a publisher or they are going to self publish but if they don't have a publisher then there aren't going to be any "pockets to pull cash from".

So where are they going to get their money? "Themselves!". Well if they don't have enough then the game doesn't get made.

I'd much rather contribute "something" and help the game (any game that doesn't fit what is going to sell on the popular market) than not have the game made.

I swear, small game publishers are screwed either way; if they want to open up channels of funding to the people who want their product they are looked down upon, if they get a publisher and that publisher wants to insure their investment and starts adding perks and lord knows what, they are considered greedy and are looked down upon.

Now if they had a really big publisher behind them AND they were doing this then yeah, I'd roll my eyes. But for now I'm perfectly ok with how they are raising money. Especially since their initial kickstarter didn't work (which was unfortunate but was also entirely on them in my opinion).

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • YukmarcYukmarc Member UncommonPosts: 165
    I don't see what everybody is complaining about. If you don't want to Alpha test or Beta test the game, then don't. Nobody is forcing you. You can wait until it's released and pay the box fee and subscription for a finished product. At least the people that are paying the $1000 to play Alpha might take it seriously enough to squash bugs. That is, after all, what Alpha and Beta is for. Sure, $1000 is a steep price to pay, but nobody is forcing them to pay it. I would rather have that than an influx of people who don't care about testing getting in game and complaining about how crappy the graphics and mechanics are.
    Bordonin
  • btdtbtdt Member RarePosts: 523
    Yukmarc said:
    I don't see what everybody is complaining about. If you don't want to Alpha test or Beta test the game, then don't. Nobody is forcing you. You can wait until it's released and pay the box fee and subscription for a finished product. At least the people that are paying the $1000 to play Alpha might take it seriously enough to squash bugs. That is, after all, what Alpha and Beta is for. Sure, $1000 is a steep price to pay, but nobody is forcing them to pay it. I would rather have that than an influx of people who don't care about testing getting in game and complaining about how crappy the graphics and mechanics are.
    Nobody is paying $1000 to squash bugs.  These people are only paying to get first hands on the game to scope out every advantage they can get once it does get released. 

Real game testing rarely involves playing the game like you would ever play it normally.  Early access is not game testing... it's a fund drive.