Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I am definitely having problems playing games

2»

Comments

• CryomatrixCryomatrix Member EpicPosts: 3,223
    osu! the game is the answer to all your problems ;) 

I'd have a seizure if I tried that. If I didn't seize, I'd probably smash the keyboard out of frustration. But that would be good for brain priming. 

Cryomatrix
    Catch me streaming at twitch.tv/cryomatrix
    You can see my sci-fi/WW2 book recommendations. 
  • bonzoso21bonzoso21 Member UncommonPosts: 380
    There's a really cool little indie puzzle game from awhile back called Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons. It uses a mechanic where you control one brother with the left stick and left trigger and one with the right stick and right trigger to move the two through environments and solve puzzles together. It's probably super cheap on the Steam sale right now. Being a single-player, lighthearted game with a neat story, I think it's just the thing to train your hands to work independently from each other on a controller, which is what dual thumbstick control is all about. You may find it punishingly difficult until you get the hang of it, but if you get through it, you should be good to go. And it's a good game in its own right, so there's that.
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    edited January 2018
    Often by yourself,you stay in habit,you don't or might not learn anything that way.
    I will use an example,years ago playing UT99,i was frustrated,i was good but not good enough.So i decided to watch the very best player in the world and holy smokes did a put a new perspective on how to play.

Point being you need to talk with another player or a just watch videos whatever to get some new perspective on how to play.
    There is definitely a new level of play with some fps's,some people have incredible twitch with accuracy but for mmorpg's there really should be no age or frustration barrier.

As to the general idea of controllers,i hate them,they are ok for simple games you can lay in bed playing but for other games i need the mouse+keyboard or it's a no go.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• ShaighShaigh Member EpicPosts: 2,142
    Gorwe said:
    bcbully said:
    Keep working at it. When you get it, it will be oh so sweet.

Reminds me of the Arena in ESO, single player trail. That shit was so humbling. I was at the top of my game. Top of the ESO world pvp and pve, but I could not beat it. I watched around 75-100 players beat it. Shit took soul searching. When I did beat, oh so sweet. Top 3 gaming experiences. 

Embrace the challenge OP. Consider yourself fortunate you have the opportunity to achieve.
    Challenge is good, but if it's too much, it's too much. One should know when to quit. If one cares about story MUCH MORE than about gameplay, I advise cheating. Otherwise...there's a wide Steam full of games, no?
    The joy of beating a challenge should be more than the frustration you feel while failing and for that to happen you need to enjoy the base gameplay first. Hard is not enough to make something fun.
    Iselin: And the next person who says "but it's a business, they need to make money" can just go fuck yourself.
  • wandericawanderica Member UncommonPosts: 370
    So, I hop online for help and usually after some searching I'll find someone who explains the mechanic slightly differently and it will suddenly click into place. I'll find out I was watching for the wrong trigger, or had understood the timing wrong or something similar.
    What did we ever do before the internet was so widespread?  I've had to do the same thing as has, I'm sure, most everyone here.  I've broken more than one NES controller from frustration.  Nintendo Power wouldn't cut it with today's games, I guess.

To the OP,

When playing that game, I really found that it was made for a controller.  Like you, my twitch reaction times aren't what they used to be, and I find even today's controllers a huge downgrade from my trusty KB / Mouse (and a trackball at that).  However, after dusting off the old XBox controller, I found it much more intuitive.  Also, if you get past that area, you can lower the difficulty to easy, or even normal for most of the game, and blocking won't really be necessary.  Then you could go back to your preferred KB/Mouse.

Another solution might be to rebind your keys.  Maybe bind block to L-Shift and movement to your arrow keys for that particular part of the game. 

It's not a bad game.  I hope your control issues don't prevent you from getting the story.  Personally, I miss the old turn based RPGs.  I suppose it's a niche market these days, but I wish someone made that style game with the production quality of today's AAA games.

• frostymugfrostymug Member RarePosts: 645
    Turn down the stick sensitivity in options to help the wobbly movement/aim thing. The moving speed won't really be noticably slower as the limit stops are still the same. It will just move there a lot smoother and be easier to stop where you want without overshooting then trying to correct.

Think along the lines of mouse acceleration.
  • cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,100
    Some really good advice. Going to try turning down stick sensitivity and also remapping stuff Since this is not an MMORPG even macroing multiple key functions is a fantastic idea. I don't macro multiple keys together because the MMORPG may detect it and usually MMORPGs don't need that. Thanks
    Chamber of Chains
  • nancytautnancytaut Member CommonPosts: 1
    I have used many cheats. It all started with GTA games. I still remember using PDNEJOH to get saved from the police and the next games I have used cheat codes on was shopkins games, Actually, I didn't use the cheat codes in that game though I totally hacked the functionality of it.
  • cameltosiscameltosis Member LegendaryPosts: 3,706
    wanderica said:
    So, I hop online for help and usually after some searching I'll find someone who explains the mechanic slightly differently and it will suddenly click into place. I'll find out I was watching for the wrong trigger, or had understood the timing wrong or something similar.
    What did we ever do before the internet was so widespread?  I've had to do the same thing as has, I'm sure, most everyone here.  I've broken more than one NES controller from frustration.  Nintendo Power wouldn't cut it with today's games, I guess.

I often think about this. 

I think that the internet sorta came about at the same time that games became more complex. I seem to remember a lot of my childhood gaming not being particularly challenging on an intellectual level, but being challenging on a physical (twitch) level. Getting stuck was usually just because I didn't react quick enough, rather than not knowing how to succeed. On the few games I couldn't overcome due to intellectual / knowledge difficulty (like some of the weapons in FF7), thats where friends and family came in. My games library as a kid was never particularly big and my friends and I usually bought the same games, so we had our own mini community to discuss. 

These days, the games are so much more complex and there are so many more of them that the internet is often the only resource left. I'm 32 and probably half my gamer friends from childhood no longer game, and those of us who still do all play vastly different games.