Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Reviews on steam, how much of them are fake? What do you guys know?

CryomatrixCryomatrix Member EpicPosts: 3,223
Hey guys, 

I've been looking at steam for a number of years now and haven't recalled so many games having so many reviews. Every game I look at has amazing positive reviews, perhaps those are the ones that show up first. A ton of those have to be BS right? 

You guys still buying games on the Steam Winter Sale?
I got: 

Witcher 3 - $20
Tex murphy detective thingy - $2.50
mount and blade - $2.50
Cit V stuff DLC's - $10
life is strange episode 1 - for free

Got pulled over for not coming to a complete stop on a stop sign taking a right (empty intersection), late at night, in a ritzy suburb, cuz of a stupid cop making america safe (was only sober person leaving a party) - - - $hundreds of dollars to -Cali-take-my-money-fornia. 

What did you guys get? What oo you know about the validity of steam reviews?

Cryomatrix

Catch me streaming at twitch.tv/cryomatrix
You can see my sci-fi/WW2 book recommendations. 

Comments

• alivenaliven Member UncommonPosts: 346
    Hey guys, 

I've been looking at steam for a number of years now and haven't recalled so many games having so many reviews. Every game I look at has amazing positive reviews, perhaps those are the ones that show up first. A ton of those have to be BS right? 

You guys still buying games on the Steam Winter Sale?
    I got: 

Witcher 3 - $20
    Tex murphy detective thingy - $2.50
    mount and blade - $2.50
    Cit V stuff DLC's - $10
    life is strange episode 1 - for free

Got pulled over for not coming to a complete stop on a stop sign taking a right (empty intersection), late at night, in a ritzy suburb, cuz of a stupid cop making america safe (was only sober person leaving a party) - - - $hundreds of dollars to -Cali-take-my-money-fornia. 

What did you guys get? What oo you know about the validity of steam reviews?

Cryomatrix

Any user review is basically worthless for you. 
  • BLNXBLNX Member UncommonPosts: 275
    edited December 2017
    Some people would say to find a curator you like and go by them. I have a hard time trusting anyone's opinion but I tend to be cynical.

Out of the games you did mention though, Witcher 3 would likely have the most content and generally everyone loves it. Mount and Blade would be a good choice of you like strategy and conquest. I don't know about the rest.

EDIT - I thought you were looking to buy, not bought. Excuse my post.
    In the King's Court, I choose to be the Jester.
  • immodiumimmodium Member RarePosts: 2,610
    Generally after playing I rarely disagree with the Recent Reviews/All Reviews rating you can see on the store page.

• AreWeLiveAreWeLive Member UncommonPosts: 201
    When you read a review you can tell if the review is done by someone that actually has the game, that info is listed.
     You always need to remember that all reviews done by people are just that, reviewed by people, not you, we all have different interests and what they find fun might not be what you do....
  • TheScavengerTheScavenger Member EpicPosts: 3,321
    immodium said:
    Generally after playing I rarely disagree with the Recent Reviews/All Reviews rating you can see on the store page.
    Pretty much the same. The reviews tend to be pretty accurate. And things like paid mods Bethesda came out with definitely deserve the bad reviews. Things like battlefront 2 deserve bad reviews as well due to the loot boxes, just as bad as paid mods.

So I'd say reviews are pretty accurate on Steam. If a game gets bad reviews, I always avoid it since in my experience out of 38 games I've purchased...9 of those have been with bad reviews...I only really enjoyed 1 of the 9 that were reviewed badly and that was wildstar (and yes its free, but I bought bunch of stuff for it) lol

My Skyrim, Fallout 4, Starbound and WoW + other game mods at MODDB: 

https://www.moddb.com/mods/skyrim-anime-overhaul

• bonzoso21bonzoso21 Member UncommonPosts: 380
    edited December 2017
    Any user review has to be viewed on its own merits. Many are valid, many are not. On Steam, they're a little more valid as an aggregate than something like Metacritic because it's a simple Thumbs Up or Thumbs Down and not a 0-10 scale, but you'll still see tons of people bashing a game they sunk 200 hours into or something like that. The little buzzwords they attach to games, like "Atmospheric" or "Action" or "Roguelike", help a lot, too.

As for the sale, I didn't buy much because my backlog is so huge and many of the heavily discounted games are the same ones that are on sale every holiday, but I did pick up Pyre and Grim Fandango Remastered. 
  • time007time007 Member UncommonPosts: 1,062
    between the fanbois and the fake reviews, id be weary

IMPORTANT:  Please keep all replies to my posts about GAMING.  Please no negative or backhanded comments directed at me personally.  If you are going to post a reply that includes how you feel about me, please don't bother replying & just ignore my post instead.  I'm on this forum to talk about GAMING.  Thank you.
  • AriesTigerAriesTiger Member UncommonPosts: 444
    I've only added my personal review a couple times and it's usually the day after I've given the game a "chance." I think I've done 3 reviews total on steam lol.
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    After seeing reviews on review farms and how to make money posting in forums guides on YT.    Anything is possible now a days.  Take everything with a grain of salt.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• frostymugfrostymug Member RarePosts: 645
    I generally ignore any "10/10 would _____ again" reviews trying to be cute with 2014 jokes.

Anybody with less than a couple hours in the game I tend to ignore unless everyone has around the same time and is refunding.

Contrary to The Scavenger, I also tend to ignore any crusader backlash reviews. Otherwise, nobody would buy any Paradox games after they tried their regional pricing thing and got tons of negatives. I'd miss out on some pretty great strategy games based on something that had zero effect on my region or the actual quality of the games. Also, some companies just receive more hate on every game ever because of one so so game.

On that note, popular games tend to have more middling reviews than niche or indie games. They grab more attention from a wider audience. Some of which just aren't THAT into the game or genre. So a 75%+ popular AAA game is usually about on par with a 85%+ indie/niche game that has a much more focused playerbase that likely searched specifically for it or was recommended that game based on more than it being popular. Otherwise, the data suggests nearly every single visual novel and pixel art game is on par with The Witcher 3.

Curators help by providing a singular voice if you trust that voice.

I have 1500+ games on Steam. I've left one single line review (for the badge). I've bought relatively few turds along the way, but I rarely pay attention to reviews or curators. I find games that interest me, sometimes by tags, then I might skim the reviews to see if I notice any trend in them. I usually pay more attention to the negatives because I'm already leaning positive if I'm looking.
  • HuntrezzHuntrezz Member UncommonPosts: 92
    I have always believed several of the reviews were fake or botters hiding behind a single IP address, I just couldn't prove it personally.  Steam is almost certainly another website where this is happening.  I know people that claim to do this on a number of sites.

In light of what is happening right now with Rotten Tomatoes and the botting with the Last Jedi regarding the negative reviews,  it's safe to say there are more than a few people out there doing this.  The reports suggest that one single IP address has swayed the user reviews by 34% on the negative side.  Newsweek and Forbes both have articles discussing this and I saw it reported on my local CBS news report.

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,992
    As long as you don't just use Steam user reviews then you won't have a problem. I tend to use them as a decider when other methods of telling if a game is right for you have not enabled a conclusion to be drawn.
  • kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,919
    I think it is important to read reviews and not count them. Counting the number of positive and negative reviews is not the way to decide if a game is for you. I read reviews if I am serious about a game and I read from 5 to 20 reviews before I decide. I read long reviews. The long ones explain the reasons they enjoy or dislike a game giving your own questions answers.

• JemcrystalJemcrystal Member UncommonPosts: 1,984
    You think Steam is bad try Reddit.  I know Reddit's game sites are being manipulated but no where near as bad as Youtube where reviewers get paid to promote a game.  Steam is actually pretty innocent by comparison.
    Scot

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    I don't think they are fake and yes i see too many positive ratings for real bad games but it is what it is,this is the new era of gaming,bad games make money and get popular.I have seen a lot of worldly changes in the last 10-20 years,i can only imagine the mess this world will be in another 50 years from now....scary to think.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.