Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What are you playing right now and what do you like about it?

Comments

• d_20d_20 Member RarePosts: 1,878
    klash2def said:

Horizon Zero Dawn (PS4) - Just got the xpac but still haven't beat the main story. I'm like maybe 30% in..so kinda need to get to it.. I keep trying to force myself to like it because everyone else says its good but I personally cant connect to it. There is also a cultural appropriation thing that the game eludes to that I'm not going to unpack here but it has turned me off the deeper into I went. I REALLY wish Aloy could be customized outside of just her clothes. Outside of that it seems to be okay. I hope I can get past my personal issues with it. 

I didn't really think about it before, but I feel the same way about this game. I'm about 30% in and just haven't felt compelled to keep playing. I don't know about the cultural appropriation thing, but the rest of it is how I feel.

It's fun, but for a single player game, I usually need a story even if the combat and the build options are fun.

But then again, I haven't gotten very far in The Witcher 3 and everyone definitely says that's a great game, so ... 

• SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
    I played Elite Dangerous all weekend and totally into it.

I like it because of its scale and how your actions can affect the narrative.
    Kyleranklash2def

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

• PhaserlightPhaserlight Member EpicPosts: 3,071
    Vendetta Online - I like the PvP and I feel like an important part of the community; it runs in VR, on mobile, and on PC.  It's truly unlike anything else.

Elder Scrolls Legends - it's addicting and fun.

RimWorld - an excellent story generator; in the vein of Dwarf Fortress with 1000% more Firefly and fewer hieroglyphics.  No Z levels, though.

"The simple is the seal of the true and beauty is the splendor of truth" -Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar
    Authored 139 missions in Vendetta Online and 6 tracks in Distance

• EponyxDamorEponyxDamor Member RarePosts: 749
    edited December 2017
    Currently not playing an MMO, however, I've picked up a few single-player games over the last year that I really enjoy playing/replaying.

Divinity Original Sin 2 (PC) -- Hands down the best RPG experience in 2017, IMO. Everyone owes it to themselves to give it a try, especially if you're an RPG lover.

Mario+Rabbids Kingdom Battle (Switch) -- Who knew that a Mario+Rabbids mash up would work so well? Much less with a dash of XCOM involved. However, its fun and refreshing, and easy to pick up for a quick game or two before having to put it back down.

Xenoblade Chronicles 2 (Switch) -- I was a big fan of Xenoblade Chronicles X for the WiiU, even though the WiiU was a big letdown. However, XC2 made me buy the Switch, and I can't say I'm disappointed in either one; in fact, quite thrilled. XC2 is an okay game for a very anime-tropeish setting, but the gameplay is quite engaging and the story isn't all that bad. I spent 120 hours on my first playthrough, so it was definitely a good spend for me.

Total War: WARHAMMER II (PC) -- One of the most fun strategy games I've played in a long time. WARHAMMER combined with the Total War series is just perfect.

Elite: Dangerous (PC) -- Its come so far since it first launched, even though I don't play it nearly often enough to really give it a good shakedown. However, as far as space sims are concerned, it really does take the cake for me. I just wish I had more time to sit down and play it, but its quite demanding on time in order to get full enjoyment out of it. When I have tons of time to burn and don't know how else to spend it, this is usually my choice.

Horizon Zero Dawn (PS4) -- Great modern RPG/FPS/Action game. The only PS4 title to make it on to my good games of 2017 list.

For MMOs that I have dabbled in for 2017 and would actually recommend: ESO, BnS, BDO, EVE Online, and SWTOR (for story ONLY). FFXIV is great, too, as long as you're perfectly comfortable playing a WoW clone gear treadmill.

With that said, my biggest flops of 2017 have been: FFXV (PS4), ME:A (PS4), Destiny 2 (PS4), and The Division (PC).

[Deleted User]
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,373
    edited December 2017
    SEANMCAD said:
    I played Elite Dangerous all weekend and totally into it.

I like it because of its scale and how your actions can affect the narrative.
    This one is definitely at the top of my MMO playlist, assuming I ever play another game besides Fallout 4 of course.....

Level 64.....still working on the mainline and have the Far Harbor expansion loaded and waiting. 

;)
    klash2def

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• klash2defklash2def Member EpicPosts: 1,949
    So happy to see  people considering Elite Dangerous.. please come on in so I can rob help you. :smiley:
    [Deleted User]
    "Beliefs don't change facts. Facts, if you're reasonable, should change your beliefs."

"The Society that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting by fools."

Currently: Games Audio Engineer, you didn't hear what I heard, you heard what I wanted you to hear. 

• EponyxDamorEponyxDamor Member RarePosts: 749
    klash2def said:
    So happy to see  people considering Elite Dangerous.. please come on in so I can rob help you. :smiley:
    Its a really fun game. Admittedly, I haven't really delved into the multiplayer aspects at all.
    klash2defd_20
  • deniterdeniter Member RarePosts: 1,429
    Vanilla WoW, Candy Crush, Vaporum, Nethack
  • WaanWaan Member UncommonPosts: 105
    Broke my hand last month so I can only play games with just the mouse, which are:

- Divinity 2
    - Total War: Warhammer 2

Looking at these two, it could've been much worse.
  • klash2defklash2def Member EpicPosts: 1,949
    edited December 2017
    klash2def said:
    Its a really fun game. Admittedly, I haven't really delved into the multiplayer aspects at all.
    Agreed! For me SP mode is to learn the ropes and earn a better ship with upgrades then go to Open Play mode (this is if you dont want to deal with PVP out the gate ofc) you carry over the ships in both modes. The OP mode is where I've personally had some of my favorite moments with the game. Also the OP crowd is supportive to new commanders.

One more for anybody just starting their journey, look up Obsidian Ant on YouTube, his Elite Dangerous new player guides are the best in the community. 

Really excited for the future of this game! 

Edit: 
    "Beliefs don't change facts. Facts, if you're reasonable, should change your beliefs."

"The Society that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting by fools."

Currently: Games Audio Engineer, you didn't hear what I heard, you heard what I wanted you to hear. 

• immodiumimmodium Member RarePosts: 2,610
    Regarding MMOs just LOTRO. My brother bought it for me 10 years ago for Christmas so like to boot it up around this time for nostalgic xmas memories. :)

Still really enjoying Factorio which I purchased a few months back.

Just purchased Oxygen Not Included. Created by the guys who did Don't Starve, Invisible Inc and Mark of the Ninja which I all enjoyed and it also looks like something I'd like.

• KajidourdenKajidourden Member EpicPosts: 3,030
    Believe it or not....Albion.  Got a key from the reddit and decided to give it a whirl.  Most interesting thing to me is how large/frequent the updates/content is moving.  Should be interesting to see how it develops.  It's like not even the same game from launch anymore lol.
  • AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432
    Torval said:
    AlBQuirky said:
    XCom 2. I also picked up XCom Enemy Unknown and Enemy Within and have been playing XC:EU, too.

I enjoy these games because they're slow paced and strategy filled. I get connected with my soldiers and feel bad when they don't make it back from missions. I yell at my PC (Dang RNGs!) and my heart flutters with the many close calls I've had in these games. The soldier customization in XCom 2 helps a lot :)

I also have been getting back into Skyrim every now and again. When I finish up this current character's play, I want to get through my Shadowrun trilogy of games :)
    Have you ever played The Bureau: XCOM Declassified? http://store.steampowered.com/app/65930/The_Bureau_XCOM_Declassified/

It's on sale right now for $4 (80% off). It's a turn based tactical shooter set in a post modern style conspiracy theory nuclear edgy US. It is an RPG where you control a main character and a couple other characters in squad-based combat.

I like it because it's one of the few high quality narratives set in that period. Watch a few videos to get an idea of how it works. It's XCOM but not XCOM. It's sort of like XCOM + Mass Effect.

Thanks for that suggestion! I'll look into it, though I have a personal dislike for anything "Steam" related :)

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• AkulasAkulas Member RarePosts: 3,003
    Neverwinter as a freeloader

This isn't a signature, you just think it is.

• RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383
    edited December 2017
    Still, Factorio.

I've got way-too-many hours on my latest map, mostly because I keep trying to make train routes just a bit more efficient. This is my new Civ III - I can start the game, look up, and 17 hours have magically went by.

Thinking hard about RimWorld though. Just picked up Elite:Dangerous and BDO on Winter Steam Sale, and wife got SWBF2 yesterday and wants me to play with her, but none of them are anywhere near Factorio.

For MMO, dabbling in L2Rev right now (on Bluestacks), it's ok for F2P and not having sunk any money into it. Also a bit of Warframe on PS4, and a bit of TERA getting ready for the PS4 release of that. Still hold a sub to FFXIV, and I pop on about one a week.

Bummed Marvel Heroes went belly up all of a sudden, I was a long-time PC player, and liked it on Console.
  • DeadSpockDeadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 403
    Main game Final Fantasy Brave Exvius(mobile game) it's the most addicting game I played recently. Also bought BDO great graphics and the combat looks OP actually it's too OP for a starting character. My main issue with BDO is inventory it has to be the smallest I have ever seen and if I click to add asks for cash shop money(fuck no!) Tera f2p you add with in game money much better also BDO is very confusing in general I'm lost. You place pictures of NPC on a raw to gain some kind of conversation level with that NPC not getting it.
  • MalviousMalvious Member UncommonPosts: 218
    edited December 2017
    WoW and PoE, because these 2 are the best games in their genre atm.

Fine, we'll compromise. I'll get my way & you'll find a way to be okay with that.

• MaxBaconMaxBacon Member LegendaryPosts: 7,760
    In MMOs just Life is Feudal, like its sandbox slow-paced aspect, I properly hate the grindy nature but keeps me around because the harder it is to reach something the bigger the sense of accomplishment :p 
  • SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
    MaxBacon said:
    In MMOs just Life is Feudal, like its sandbox slow-paced aspect, I properly hate the grindy nature but keeps me around because the harder it is to reach something the bigger the sense of accomplishment :p 
    its basically Wurm but with better graphics :)

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

• MaxBaconMaxBacon Member LegendaryPosts: 7,760
    edited January 2018
    SEANMCAD said:
    its basically Wurm but with better graphics :)
    With one interface that you don't need one PhD to work with is what I would highlight :)

But yes always look for MMOs like Wurm to be released in more "current gen" and polished up titles.
  • sarielissarielis Member UncommonPosts: 25

Playing Shroud of the Avatar it is really becoming a good game:)

• Fojo82Fojo82 Member CommonPosts: 1
    Elder Scrolls Online. Huge improvements since launch. Lots to do, quests, dungeons, trials (raids), alliance war (pvp), battle grounds (PvP arena), solo and group arenas, dailies, player housing, transmog coming, crafting, and so much more. Constantly getting new content and quality of life improvements like player house storage, outfit system. 
  • GeekyGeeky Member UncommonPosts: 446
    MaxBacon said:
    TRUTH!  I'm playing Salem for the same reason.  
  • VyntVynt Member UncommonPosts: 757
    d_20 said:
    klash2def said:

Horizon Zero Dawn (PS4) - Just got the xpac but still haven't beat the main story. I'm like maybe 30% in..so kinda need to get to it.. I keep trying to force myself to like it because everyone else says its good but I personally cant connect to it. There is also a cultural appropriation thing that the game eludes to that I'm not going to unpack here but it has turned me off the deeper into I went. I REALLY wish Aloy could be customized outside of just her clothes. Outside of that it seems to be okay. I hope I can get past my personal issues with it. 

I didn't really think about it before, but I feel the same way about this game. I'm about 30% in and just haven't felt compelled to keep playing. I don't know about the cultural appropriation thing, but the rest of it is how I feel.

It's fun, but for a single player game, I usually need a story even if the combat and the build options are fun.

But then again, I haven't gotten very far in The Witcher 3 and everyone definitely says that's a great game, so ... 
    Some games just don't resonate with people.  I absolutely loved Horizon Zero Dawn, but I found The Witcher 3 to be mind-numbingly boring. Or how people are looking forward to red dead redemption 2. I HATED the first one, but that was probably due to not being fond of the western time period. 

Also, if something is so hyped up and you expect a lot, it can be a major letdown, and even depends on your state of mind going in.

I remember when Deadpool came out, everyone raved about it, said it was the best comic movie ever. I watched it and was like meh. Just saw it again the other day and it was so much better lol.
    AlBQuirky[Deleted User]
  • BruceYeeBruceYee Member EpicPosts: 2,556
    Elder Scrolls Online & Elder Scrolls Legends.

Playing both because I like Elder Scrolls + mellow games.