Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Call of Duty Swatting leads to death of a innocent man in Kansas

Comments

• FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,967
    Police in the US are so inept and ill-trained common people can troll them into potentially killing other people.

Think real hard about that.
    klash2defAsm0deusSinsaiDakeruSandmanjwViper482
    "As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • JeffSpicoliJeffSpicoli Member EpicPosts: 2,849
    Police in the US are so inept and ill-trained common people can troll them into potentially killing other people.

Everyone is expert after a couple of matches of CSGO, Id love to put you on the streets of Chicago for one week and ask you to keep people safe all while not getting shot yourself, Easier than it sounds im sure to a armchair commando. 

And as far as "preparing for a hoax" such as the one called in where as described by the caller" HE SHOT HIS FATHER IN THE HEAD AND HAD HIS MOTHER AT GUNPOINT AND WAS THREATENING TO BLOW UP THE HOUSE WITH GASOLINE.  Maybe you could enlighten us on how you prepare for such a hoax. If the story is true, and the man was reaching in his waistband whether for a wallet , a pack of gum or his pistol than the shooting was protocol. I know that sounds callous and harsh but ITS A FACT! 

Again the cop is not villian in this story the caller was.
    golem512Octagon7711Sandmanjw
    • Aloha Mr Hand ! 

• klash2defklash2def Member EpicPosts: 1,949

Very sad and true. 
    "Beliefs don't change facts. Facts, if you're reasonable, should change your beliefs."

"The Society that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting by fools."

Currently: Games Audio Engineer, you didn't hear what I heard, you heard what I wanted you to hear. 

This is about both parties the idiot kid who pulled the prank and the officer who actually killed the man. At the end of the day, no matter what, that man should not be dead right now. That is the fault of the kid but also reminds me of a bigger problem with the police. They are supposed to be trained to handle these types of things, yes including pranks? You think police pranks are new? Surprise they aren't. But guess what.. a lot of officers today don't know how to handle these situations.

Another reason we need police reform. 

Fire the officer and jail time. The kid who pulled prank should also get jail time for manslaughter. There is no more right or more wrong both are wrong. 
    "Beliefs don't change facts. Facts, if you're reasonable, should change your beliefs."

"The Society that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting by fools."

Currently: Games Audio Engineer, you didn't hear what I heard, you heard what I wanted you to hear. 

• ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    edited December 2017
    klash2def said:

Very sad and true. 
    Sorry but , ive been thru this sort of thing more than once , spent a part of my life incarcerated ..

And when the man comes to your door ,(regardless if you did anything wrong or not)  with guns pointing at you and repeatedly tells you to put your hands up and walk towards them and you refuse.. make movements towards your waist or pockets , Turn your back to police ...

You are going to get shot ... respect the law and you dont get shot in that situation ..

Now its really sad that an idiot made a call that put the citizen and the police in that situation ..

But getting shot only happened because he refused to follow very clear instructions ..
      And he did understand , he put his hands up intially then refused to cooperate ..
    SBFordOctagon7711JeffSpicoliMrMelGibson
    thunderC said:

Everyone is expert after a couple of matches of CSGO, Id love to put you on the streets of Chicago for one week and ask you to keep people safe all while not getting shot yourself, Easier than it sounds im sure to a armchair commando. 

And as far as "preparing for a hoax" such as the one called in where as described by the caller" HE SHOT HIS FATHER IN THE HEAD AND HAD HIS MOTHER AT GUNPOINT AND WAS THREATENING TO BLOW UP THE HOUSE WITH GASOLINE.  Maybe you could enlighten us on how you prepare for such a hoax. If the story is true, and the man was reaching in his waistband whether for a wallet , a pack of gum or his pistol than the shooting was protocol. I know that sounds callous and harsh but ITS A FACT! 

No. They both are equal here. The caller didn't pull the trigger, he lied which set up the Cop who pulled the trigger without verifying his information. Had he simply looked in the house, open a dialogue he would have clearly seen that something about his info was wrong.

The issue is that has become the norm in this country. Again, use google there are so many examples this isnt new bro. "Oh being a cop is soo hard!" so what? They signed up for that shit bro.. I used to be in the Marine Corps, I went to Iraq when the shit was really bad early 2000s.. there are still Rules we have to follow just like this officer. He knew better. The PD there is gonna say everything they can to cover their asses. Same shit in the military. Im willing to bet everything I own that the man did not reach for a damn thing. Police these days don't ask questions they shoot. ESP ESP ESP if you are a POC. Victim was latino male. Do the math. Its simple 2+2.

Stop making excuses for this bullshit. 

• BLNXBLNX Member UncommonPosts: 275
    Viper482 said:

Win what though? The guy is probably some loser living in his parent's basement. 

They can easily get this guy for manslaughter, no matter what he needs to be made an example of. 

Well, in most wrongful death cases, especially if they won the criminal case, the debt incurred by the death won't be absolved by bankruptcy. This means that the guy will be paying if he ever gets a job, tries to buy a house, gets inheritance, etc. 

In the King's Court, I choose to be the Jester.
  • ShodanasShodanas Member RarePosts: 1,933
    I hope the person responsible for this "prank" gets a perennial imprisonment. And the inept officer gets at least removed from the police force.

This reminds me of a similar incident a couple of years back when 2 officers arrived at a doorstep to serve a warrant. The teenager who opened the door held a game controller in his hand which let one officer to kill him with two bullets in the chest.
    klash2def
    Scorchien said:
    klash2def said:

Very sad and true. 
    Sorry but , ive been thru this sort of thing more than once , spent a part of my life incarcerated ..

And when the man comes to your door ,(regardless if you did anything wrong or not)  with guns pointing at you and repeatedly tells you to put your hands up and walk towards them and you refuse.. make movements towards your waist or pockets , Turn your back to police ...

You are going to get shot ... respect the law and you dont get shot in that situation ..

Now its really sad that an idiot made a call that put the citizen and the police in that situation ..

But getting shot only happened because he refused to follow very clear instructions ..
      And he did understand , he put his hands up intially then refused to cooperate ..
    You want to believe this narrative so bad. 

The PD want you to believe they did nothing wrong. The man reached for his belt? okay. Again how realistic is that for man who had no idea police were coming to his house to show up at the door reaching for his waist like he had a weapon.. Its very possible the first and last thing he said was "Officer whats going on, why are you guys at my house?" which btw is his right to say.

Believe what you want. The fact remains that if you are a POC that even cooperates its a high chance they still shoot you. Also all kinds of ROE are broken and the PD is in hot water if they tell the truth. You think they would tell you what really happened? You trust the PD that much?

the mother. Why would she lie about this? Don't disregard the victim's family take on how it went. Also lets see if they give us "body cam" footage. I bet everything they for sure will not. You know why? Because they fucked up and killed a innocent man. Again. 

Its more sad that Its normalized so much that people start blaming the victims.
    "Oh he died because he didn't listen." WTF? this isn't the wild wild west.

Cops are not cowboys they don't get to shoot unarmed people for not listening to them. 

Again like I said this is a chain of events triggered by a dumb ass, but it should have stopped at the police department. They are supposed to be better at this than we are. 
    Asm0deusShodanasMrMelGibson

• Asm0deusAsm0deus Member EpicPosts: 4,389
    edited December 2017
    Horusra said:
    klash2def said:
    SBFord said:

I hope that the investigation leads to a conviction of the guy in LA and a thorough investigation of how the hell he was shot in the first place. There seems to be a disconnect between the mother's story and the police version.
    This always happens when the police kill someone. To justify the dead body. They said he was reaching for his waist..I find it hard to believe a confused man who did not own a weapon would be reaching for his waist in that situation. The truth is closer to the man being confused because the police were at his front door. Any of us would be confused. The policeman who shot him (even though he was tricked) didnt ask any questions, he shot the man because he was latino and the story fit the perp in his mind. This happens far too often for me to believe otherwise. That's a whole other bag to unpack.

I do not believe one second the police version. The mother is telling the truth. Imagine the police show up at your door, would your first reaction be to grab a imaginary gun and open the door reaching for your waist? really? That's the story they came with. smh..
    Police. Are. Trigger. Happy. 

But still..None of this happens without that idiotic kid

Too bad body worn cameras have proved you false in most cases.  People should instead follow directions and not do stupid stuff.
    And police should not be allowed to fire unless they see a gun/weapon period. 

When you choose to become an officer of the law you also accept the dangers that come with the job, if you wanna be a hero you should then be held to a higher standard that doesn't allow you to act like a zero.

You don't see a gun then you don't shoot, it's pretty damn easy and simple.  For all we know the guy at the door was like wtf and reaching down to scratch his balls.

The zero risk approach being used in the USA right now is to the detriment of the public they are suppose to protect and serve.

The pranksters need to be tracked down and made an example of, they put officers of the law in potential danger and caused the death of an innocent man...dunno but manslaughter and a few other charges should be considered.
    klash2defShodanasSinsaiSBFord[Deleted User]MrMelGibson

Brenics ~ Just to point out I do believe Chris Roberts is going down as the man who cheated backers and took down crowdfunding for gaming.

edited December 2017
    Scorchien said:
    klash2def said:

Very sad and true. 

my older brothers both work in criminal justice. Oldest is a DA, the other is a Sheriff. Myself a former marine. We always talked about how ROE works and we fully understand it. You can say all day "Respect the law" but this isn't the wild west. You don't get to shoot people you think "Dont respect the law" it does not work like that. A man you think does not respect the law may have a disability that prevents them from complying.. so what you gonna shoot them now because they wont listen to you? smh.. Im telling you now that police officer broke all kinds of ROE. He is in the wrong no matter how you cut it. 
    This is a fact. 

It is also a fact that his PD is going to do everything they can to protect him not because they want to but they have to. Sadly the kid calling in the prank is going to be the smaller issue here even though he was the catalyst and should serve jail prison time.. but everyone who understands the ROE knows that you need to VERIFY. The officer clearly did not and we have a dead man in front of his family right before new years. 

All the officer needed to do was verify the information when the man opened the door. THE MOST that should have happened based on information provided and what he saw when he arrived was to make an arrest of the man, it is fully in the ROE to take the man down to the ground with a taser (Non Lethal Force) and arrest him while you search the scene. That did not happen, instead the officer fires Caliber weapon (lethal force) and kills him. Do you see the problem? 
    Asm0deus[Deleted User]MrMelGibson

thunderC said:

I'd love to put YOU in the streets of Chicago for one week because you're just sqawking back what some red hat said. Chicago is pretty awesome and safe for the most part. The problem is it has pocket areas with gang violence. I've been from downtown Chi to K-Town, and I see more police in the Chi than K-Town. Now what?

What the hell does that have to do with a civilian being able to exploit and weaponize the police because of their vulnerability and ineptitude? If the ACTUAL military answers these types of calls I'm willing to bet fatalities of this nature don't happen because they're actually TRAINED properly

The caller AND the ill-trained/itchy-fingered/too-"scared"-to-think-rationally police are to blame, and they've only been getting worse as technology gets better.
    klash2defAsm0deus
    "As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    I hate how the police always use that "i'm too scared to think" bs to justify these killings. If we cant trust the police to sort out bs gamer pranks then who can trust them to protect us? I don't trust the police for shit, and do my best to avoid them at all costs and that's sad. It shouldn't be that way. I have this convo with my brother a lot who has been on the force for 15 years.

Its sad that I have to tell my son that as a POC he needs to avoid the police if he wants to survive cause 9/10 times if they stop you its going to be a problem. You don't need to provoke it. I know some of you find this hard to understand, but its reality for millions of people. 

• JeffSpicoliJeffSpicoli Member EpicPosts: 2,849
    klash2def said:
    thunderC said:

Had he simply looked in the house, open a dialogue he would have clearly seen that something about his info was wrong.

They were responding to a call in which as described by the caller "HE SHOT HIS FATHER IN THE HEAD AND HAD HIS MOTHER AT GUNPOINT AND WAS THREATENING TO BLOW UP THE HOUSE WITH GASOLINE. " And you want SWAT to simply look in the house and open dialogue, Just knock on the front door and say " Hi , its us, we brought Starbucks & French Crullers, can we talk?"

Im  going to end dialogue with you at this point for 2 reasons.

1. The discussion will start getting too political and i value chatting on this message board and have no desire to be banned 

2. You seem to have some other issues going on besides that of which the story relates to, Bringing race into this discussion has nothing to do with this tragedy.
    ScorchienSandmanjwViper482
    • Aloha Mr Hand ! 

• HarikenHariken Member EpicPosts: 2,680
    This whole thing is tragic. The jerk that made the call and the trigger happy U.S. Police. Calling 911 in any U.S.urban area is now considered dangerous. 
    thunderC said:

I'd love to put YOU in the streets of Chicago for one week because you're just sqawking back what some red hat said. Chicago is pretty awesome and safe for the most part. The problem is it has pocket areas with gang violence. I've been from downtown Chi to K-Town, and I see more police in the Chi than K-Town. Now what?

What the hell does that have to do with a civilian being able to exploit and weaponize the police because of their vulnerability and ineptitude? If the ACTUAL military answers these types of calls I'm willing to bet fatalities of this nature don't happen because they're actually TRAINED properly

The caller AND the ill-trained/itchy-fingered/too-"scared"-to-think-rationally police are to blame, and they've only been getting worse as technology gets better.
    Chicago is a beautiful city. Its sad that people think the entire thing is overran with gang bangers and drug dealers. Its really not. But again until they visit and experience it people will just use what they heard as a barometer. Such is the way of the internet. 

• ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    agreed Thunder this thread needs to /end

MMORPG.com is a site to discuss massively multiplayer online roleplay gaming. While users are encouraged and permitted to use our Off-Topic forum to discuss real life and non-MMORPG gaming, threads concerning sensitive subjects such as religion, politics, or ethics are forbidden.
    JeffSpicoli
    edited December 2017
    thunderC said:
    klash2def said:
    thunderC said:

Had he simply looked in the house, open a dialogue he would have clearly seen that something about his info was wrong.

They were responding to a call in which as described by the caller "HE SHOT HIS FATHER IN THE HEAD AND HAD HIS MOTHER AT GUNPOINT AND WAS THREATENING TO BLOW UP THE HOUSE WITH GASOLINE. " And you want SWAT to simply look in the house and open dialogue, Just knock on the front door and say " Hi , its us, we brought Starbucks & French Crullers, can we talk?"

Im  going to end dialogue with you at this point for 2 reasons.

1. The discussion will start getting too political and i value chatting on this message board and have no desire to be banned 

2. You seem to have some other issues going on besides that of which the story relates to, Bringing race into this discussion has nothing to do with this tragedy.

No you need to end dialogue with me because what i'm saying make you uncomfortable because its true.  SWAT wasnt who arrived, it was the PD. A police officer shot the man. Yes ROE state that you verify ALL information and make a decision based on that. You are trained how to do this quickly. The MOST that should have happened was non lethal take down like a taser, cuff the man then search house. A officer worth anything would have saw how wrong his info was. Sit down.

Lets unpack this other thing you are uncomfortable with for some reason.

Race. Its not political, its truth. I hate that.. "race is politics"  wtf? You vote for race or some shit? Is race a law? When? What bill passed that is called race? You picked your race?

Please let me know.. Race isnt politics. Its race. 

Part of the reason why its so hard for things to progress in america is because people are so afraid of the truth.

why are you so uncomfortable with the truth? Maybe because you can avoid and ignore it but not everyone can.. I cant. Its real. I acknowledged the guy being killed only being latino because its a factor! It is! Rather or not you want it to be. Trust me the chances of the man being killed goes down drastically if he was a white male and thats the hard truth. You don't have to like it but its still true. Police handle POCs differently and everyone knows this.

I didn't make it up, its not my views, its reality. SO please by all means yes, end dialogue, because the truth makes you that uncomfortable and really what can you say? Its true.  
    Asm0deus[Deleted User]Sandmanjw

• DauzqulDauzqul Member RarePosts: 1,982
    So the 28 yr old was standing with his hands up... in front of a whole bunch of officers. When he put his hands down and was told to put them back up again, one of the officers got scared and shot him?

The swatting was obviously the cause of it. However, the cop who killed...     something is off.

Why didn't the cops just instantly tell the 28 yr old to lay face down with his hands behind his head? Instead, they continue to talk and talk... having to keep reminding the completely confused suspect to keep his hands up.

I'm all about Blue Lives matters and support our police, but sometimes they do get too trigger-happy too fast.
    SBFordklash2defAsm0deusShodanas[Deleted User]MrMelGibsonDakeruRexKushmanAllerleirauhViper482
    Scorchien said:
    agreed Thunder this thread needs to /end

MMORPG.com is a site to discuss massively multiplayer online roleplay gaming. While users are encouraged and permitted to use our Off-Topic forum to discuss real life and non-MMORPG gaming, threads concerning sensitive subjects such as religion, politics, or ethics are forbidden.
    Oh I love this! This is grand.. So you can say your part in the thread but then when it gets too real for you you want to close the thread? ..How many times have I seen this over the years.. lol many times I promise you.

All of a sudden now that the black guy is talking about race, its "MMORPG.com is a site to discuss MMOS!"

this is golden. Nah they shouldnt close shit, if you cant handle the opinion of others who are not like yours then get out the forum. You can just leave it. You don't have to respond. 
    [Deleted User]

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    edited December 2017
    I never heard this whole story,i assume the cops shot some innocent person,imo that should be a bigger problem or as big as the phone call.
    There has been too often cops  shooting people too quickly and most of the time some excuse and nothing ever done.The police unions are way too strong and another reason why Unions are also a problem.
    Overall there is just way too much wrong in this world,instead of getting better over time,it is getting way worse and yes i blame a LOT on parents.I been around a long time and known a LOT of people like quite a lot and i have seen the reasons first hand why kids grow up bad apples and this stems right into the police force as well having known them for years having played hockey on the police team and drink with them for years.

i guess my last point has to do with the police system,there are some really good people inside that system,like i said i know of many,like really good people but there are some i would not allow to be a cop if was the last choice in the world.Their mentality is not screened that is a big problem,their tendencies on how to react,hiring practices are often family,sure your hired just pass this tainted physical.It goes even into racism as well and of course that is a problem inside of police unions and in the general public,difference being cops wield guns everyday and the general public does not.

Before anyone tries to defend the cop,i will say this,there SHOULD be a SAFE and defense type system in place if there is any chance of a hostile situation,it should NEVER be a case where some gun toting cop runs in guns a blazing.So even if there is a fake call,safe "for all" actions are taken.I have said MANY times that in all of these controversial cop shootings,if that was a cops dad or son they would NEVER 100% never go in guns blazing.Point being that not everyone is treated equally and they should be.
    klash2def

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• bonzoso21bonzoso21 Member UncommonPosts: 380
    thunderC said:

I'm no armchair commando, just a guy who knew all along I'm not cut out for that stuff and thus never joined the military or considered a law enforcement career. That said, everything you just typed seems absolutely ridiculous to me. 

You'd love to put untrained civilians in law enforcement on the streets of one of our largest cities just to prove your point? Way to go. What if this were a real call, and the guy who opened the door had been a hostage? That would certainly lend credence to the view that it's bad protocol for cops to be able to shoot at anything they view as a potential threat without reprisal, but it'd still make me an awful person if I wished for it.

The very situation that was called in would seem to me pretty strange when the cops rolled up on a quiet house on a quiet street with all the lights on. Who called in the report? We don't know because it was routed through a substation? There's no neighbors around and no unusual noises or shouting? We have the house surrounded and believe the man in control inside has hostages and is holding one at gunpoint and/or threatening to "blow up the house" with gasoline? Than this bewildered dude who just came to the door alone with nothing in his hands probably isn't the threat, let's not shoot him. There are a lot of us out here in positions of cover with SWAT gear on...if he becomes a real, objective threat, let's shoot him then.

Those of us criticizing the militarization of US police and the almost weekly killing of unarmed civilians aren't just armchair commandos. It just seems like too many young officers ARE, and they inevitably end up reacting violently to protect themselves from admittedly stressful situations they deemed dangerous but actually weren't.

klash2def
    klash2def said:
    thunderC said:

Chicago is a beautiful city. Its sad that people think the entire thing is overran with gang bangers and drug dealers. Its really not. But again until they visit and experience it people will just use what they heard as a barometer. Such is the way of the internet. 
    This is what happens when isolated ethnocentric ideologues who don't care about or care to know about other areas or cultures learn everything from trolls on Facebook. 

I'd rather not even have the conversation go this route. A guy who was just minding his business playing video games is dead for no fucking reason at all.
    klash2defMrMelGibson

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Well Scorchien ...ETHICS are inside of every single topic,yes even gaming and there are actually LAWS governing proper ethics ,point being it is NEVER avoided.As well imo ethics are the very essence of human life,if we try to hide under a rock and avoid it,all the bad stuff gets shoved under the carpet and people begin to turn a cheek and not care about anything that happens in this world,i surely hope nobody wants a society that doesn't care to talk about it.

I should also make note,this is not JUST a site to discuss mmorpg's,it is a BUSINESS,hence peripherals reviews now,SPONSORED content,"unrelated" ads,Trackers,beacons and cookies designed to make money off of every user,yeah it is a LOT more than JUST a mmorpg site.
    klash2def

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    My condolences go out to the guys friends and family.  Such a tragedy.
    SBFordJeffSpicoli[Deleted User]

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

This discussion has been closed.