Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dead and Gone: What shuttered MMO did you want to succeed the most?

TheHavokTheHavok Member UncommonPosts: 2,423
For me, it was Firefall.  Sadly, just like another MMOTPS Tabula Rasa, Firefall did not last long, but boy was it fun.

The character movement and gameplay were silky smooth.  Jetpacks were super fun. The classes had great variety.  The world and atmosphere during beta and launch seemed like a really solid start (until it barely got updated). It was FUN to explore. People that were skilled at shooters shined above the rest, but like any good game, everybody could still progress with time.  I love me some RPGs but shooters can be a nice breath of fresh air from the monotonous tab targeting experience.  Thumpers and grinding mats felt like a really interesting concept.

Firefall had huge potential (I know that phrase gets thrown around a lot but I feel like its true).  Sadly, the game always felt like an unfinished product and that Red 5 couldn't get their act together.   

What I would have liked to see before its death:

-Simplified instanced pvp (Deathmatch, team deathmatch, king of the hill)
-Instanced PvE Dungeons with easy access for newbies but scale in difficulty
-Instanced PvE Raids (20+)
-Improved loot drops instead of only getting mats 99% of the time.
Viper482CanibalolerHariken

Comments

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Tabula Rasa. It sounded interesting, and I was holding off playing until they delivered on some planned upgrades when suddenly they shuttered it.

EponyxDamorTheHavokZoeMcCloskeyConstantineMerusimmodiumHatefullMadFrenchie

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• KnyttaKnytta Member UncommonPosts: 414
    Landmark, some incredible player made stuff was done in the end.

BryceLovesGamingTheHavokAeliousMaqeaOctagon7711[Deleted User]

Chi puo dir com'egli arde é in picciol fuoco.

He who can describe the flame does not burn.

Petrarch

• JeffSpicoliJeffSpicoli Member EpicPosts: 2,849
    Does "shuttered" mean shut down , no longer in service, 86'ed ? If so then yes i would go with Landmark as well, I really thought that game had potential and their vision of the future trailers looked awesome or was that everquest 3 ? I forgot what landmarks deal was but i remember being disappointed when ponytail guy shut it down and disappeared into the night with my founder money,

If Im allowed to pick a game still in service then it would be SWTOR, All i wanted at the time was a WOW clone set in the star wars universe what I got was a bioware game stuck in a MMO.
    TheHavokBlaze_Rocker
    • Aloha Mr Hand ! 

• EponyxDamorEponyxDamor Member RarePosts: 749
    Tabula Rasa. I followed the game for years, even before it was a truly sci-fi game. I loved the idea and setting of both games, unfortunately, the game was just mostly unfinished at launch.

CoH. It was definitely an old game when it closed -- well past its prime; however, it was always one of my favorite games to play. I'd still play today if it was still around -- Pinball Wizards (*/Kin Conts and Kin/* Defs) was one of my favorite SGs, and the game play/group builds we'd come up with were so fun!
    TheHavokBlaze_Rocker
  • krulerkruler Member UncommonPosts: 589
    Knytta said:

player done stuff was awesome, the building tools were not that bad, even I knocked up some interesting stuff, but if anything it just highlighted even more how shitthouse and incompetent Sony and then Daybreak were/are. So many possibilities wasted.

And I say all this even though I HATED the look and feel of the stuff for an EQ franchise game, but strangely enjoyed Landmark as a building game, everything else to do with Landmark was pure unadulterated pile of dogpooh with a Smed faced cherry on top.

RANT off.............. 
    TheHavok

• BryceLovesGamingBryceLovesGaming Member CommonPosts: 1
    I agree with Knytta! Landmark was probably my favorite game. And yes it had flaws, but poor business decisions on Daybreaks part aside Landmark had more protection than any other game I have ever played. Most people played the gsme for the building. Howecer I suck at building, I played it for the "Storytelling tools" basically built in Dungeon Mastering tools, better then that was the community. My fondest gaming memories is of Courage Crew (one of the largest guilds in the game that I was a proud member of) working to build a haunted village for a Halloween Party the community hosted. It's a game that I will never forget.
    P.S. I moderate a Facebook page called Landmark Orphans: Continuing the Build! for any Landmark players looking to stay connected to the community.
    TheHavokMaqea
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Knytta said:

Yeah but that can be done in any game,no need for Landmark as that was imo never going to be a real game,it was a cash grab to try and get funds to build Next.

The idea as was only get players to build the assets because they couldn't do it,afford to do it,not enough manpower time and would be getting no money the entire time trying to build the game.

To actually be serious in doing it,would be near impossible because all outside assets have to be inserted into the game's code ,meaning a steady constant upload of files.Then what would happen is all over the place stuff would just magically appear out of thin air.Then if building it in real time,it would be near impossible to have any impact on the game,everything would just be an object taking up space and eventually there would be a limit as to how many polys an area or zone could handle.
    It was because of that impossible end result over time that i knew it was never a serious idea,sad that Smedley would screw over people to make a buck.

IMO the one game that would have been nice was Vanguard but as was too much like EQ2 and imo still carried over many of the bad habits from the EQ series while not really improving on much.To be honest i have never yet played a game done as well as FFXI,so i really never wanted any game over the past to really shine unless it was done better than FFXI.It would always come down to the same choice,do i play FFXI or some game i consider done worse,i think answer is obvious.
    TheHavokSovrath

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• TheScavengerTheScavenger Member EpicPosts: 3,321
    Somehow an MMO making positive income (City of Heroes) died, when an MMO that is one of the top 10 least played AAA MMOs ever (Wildstar) lives on.
    TheHavokHoochlerScotBlaze_RockerGorweAzaron_Nightblade

My Skyrim, Fallout 4, Starbound and WoW + other game mods at MODDB: 

https://www.moddb.com/mods/skyrim-anime-overhaul

• MightyUncleanMightyUnclean Member EpicPosts: 3,531
    City of Heroes.  Nothing else as good as that for a superhero fix.  I didn't play it continuously during its lifetime, but I played it from launch and went back to it many times.  Just good, simple fun and a friendly player base.
    ConstantineMerusTheHavokHoochlerScotBlaze_RockerMtheumerGorwe
  • ZoeMcCloskeyZoeMcCloskey Member UncommonPosts: 1,372
    Already noted above but for me Tabula Rasa as well.  Loved it during the beta.  We had planned to play it after some other subs ran out and had already bought the game only to see it shutdown near instantaneously.
    TheHavok

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    I miss my Fire Tank
    Blaze_Rocker
  • PhoebesPhoebes Member UncommonPosts: 190
    It was out for a while, but I really miss Planetside 1 :(
    TheHavokPhry
  • ParthinParthin Member CommonPosts: 3
    Landmark had the most potential of any building game ever. It was sold to a greedy Russian oligharch who was only interested in short-term cash flow. Daybreak Games flushed 2 games down the commode--- the parent game, Everquest Next, and it's companion, Landmark. Brad McQuaid, one of the original developers of Everquest, is working on the true successor: Pantheon. The game we had, and lost, allowed players to create an endless variety of player content of often stunning beauty, as well as to script player-made adventures. The number of people who had the patience to learn an art, as opposed to simply blowing stuff, was always going to be limited. But with the right direction, the game could have exploded across the MMO worlds.
    TheHavokMaqeaKnytta
  • lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    Tabula Rasa. I thought it was f-ing amazing although light on content.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    TheHavokimmodium
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

• ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
      Vanguard ....... sooooo many great features and still to date the best collection of classes in any game
    Nuldii
  • AeliousAelious Member RarePosts: 3,521
    EQN and Landmark. The ideas they had about an evolving world where entities, and by extension, groups of entities made decisions and effected areas of the world over time was exciting. For all the "next gen" talk new games like to staple onto their products EQN's system would have been.
  • NephethNepheth Member RarePosts: 473
    edited December 2017
    Warhammer Online. It was a great game with amazing potential. Best pvp in any mmorpg I've ever played. And yes Daoc included. Still today I've never seen another mmorpg with a better armor-weapon design. Well, at least I still able to play it somehow...
    ScorchienViper482boris20PhoebesGorwe
  • cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,100
    City of Heroes/Villains.
    NuldiiAzaron_Nightblade
    Chamber of Chains
  • MaqeaMaqea Member CommonPosts: 1
    Landmark (and parent EQN).
    It is almost a year after Landmark closed its gates and I still can't find a game that interests me like LM did. The learning curve was steep but the rewards was great. Sure one could "play" in Blender or Voxelfarm och Unity or any other tool like those but they are "singleplayer". Being able to build together on the same project made LM superior to me.
    On top of that the friendliness, the creativity, the ingenuity and the willingness to share in the LM comunity made Landmark so much more fun to be part of than using any 3D tool I tried.
    Knytta
  • krulerkruler Member UncommonPosts: 589
    Maqea said:
    Landmark (and parent EQN).
    It is almost a year after Landmark closed its gates and I still can't find a game that interests me like LM did. The learning curve was steep but the rewards was great. Sure one could "play" in Blender or Voxelfarm och Unity or any other tool like those but they are "singleplayer". Being able to build together on the same project made LM superior to me.
    On top of that the friendliness, the creativity, the ingenuity and the willingness to share in the LM comunity made Landmark so much more fun to be part of than using any 3D tool I tried.

Some of us Landmark peeps went to Empyrion it has creative mode and player servers, its not the same but its close enough some amazing builds being done, someone actually made the flying city out of stargate alantis, and when you also add not only have to get the look right but also consider power/fuel/oxygen and engines etc etc it was quite a feat.

Yet again though its Alpha so yeah not like building games have a good track record post Alpha.

• dougha1dougha1 Member UncommonPosts: 152
    Kabod Online.  I miss that game.  It was a grind-fest with a retarded armor-enchanting system, but ... so much naughty unmentionable stuff going on. ;)
    This forum is broken. It is time to move to proboards, because they're broken.
  • HatefullHatefull Member EpicPosts: 2,502
    TheHavok said:
    For me, it was Firefall.  Sadly, just like another MMOTPS Tabula Rasa, Firefall did not last long, but boy was it fun.

The character movement and gameplay were silky smooth.  Jetpacks were super fun. The classes had great variety.  The world and atmosphere during beta and launch seemed like a really solid start (until it barely got updated). It was FUN to explore. People that were skilled at shooters shined above the rest, but like any good game, everybody could still progress with time.  I love me some RPGs but shooters can be a nice breath of fresh air from the monotonous tab targeting experience.  Thumpers and grinding mats felt like a really interesting concept.

Firefall had huge potential (I know that phrase gets thrown around a lot but I feel like its true).  Sadly, the game always felt like an unfinished product and that Red 5 couldn't get their act together.   

What I would have liked to see before its death:

-Simplified instanced pvp (Deathmatch, team deathmatch, king of the hill)
    -Instanced PvE Dungeons with easy access for newbies but scale in difficulty
    -Instanced PvE Raids (20+)
    -Improved loot drops instead of only getting mats 99% of the time.
    Not sure which Firefall you are talking about here... The one I tested was bug riddled, monotonous, and nowhere near smooth at all, by any account. All the classes had a very run of the mill feel and in no way was a shooter gamer going to have an advantage over anyone else with the exception of possibly sniping, which I never do so I won't speak to that. If you are trying to say twitch skills were part of the game I would agree, but not on any level that would afford an advantage. Most of the weapons had a pretty healthy AoE component which negates needing any type of twitch skill.

The game was clunky, underdone, mismanaged and quite honestly very underwhelming. You are correct on one point, Red 5 never did get their shit together in anyway. Which is too bad because I feel like with the proper amount of attention and even a moderate amount of management that game could have been all the things you say it was, but wasn't.

The potential was there, the organization was not. Not at all.

If you want a new idea, go read an old book.

In order to be insulted, I must first value your opinion.

• Viper482Viper482 Member LegendaryPosts: 4,064
    Warhammer Online....another great game destroyed by Mythic and their stupid ideas that went against everything their players wanted.  

Still no reason why the game could not still be active today, the game was still more popular than 2/3's of the shit out today.
    ScorchienCanibalolerNephethboris20PhoebesGorwe
    Make MMORPG's Great Again!
  • CanibalolerCanibaloler Member UncommonPosts: 136
    for me : 

Hellgate: London
    Warhammer Online
    Firefall.

I missed them all tbh and also those that never make it like:

World of Darkness
    Project Titan. 
    Nepheth[Deleted User]
  • ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    Viper482 said:
    Warhammer Online....another great game destroyed by Mythic and their stupid ideas that went against everything their players wanted.  

Still no reason why the game could not still be active today, the game was still more popular than 2/3's of the shit out today.

Warhammer can be played its very active and this version is much better than the last version that EA was running ...

https://www.returnofreckoning.com/about.php

WwWwwwAaaaaAGggGggGHhHHhhHH!!!!!!!

Nephethboris20Phoebes[Deleted User]Gorwe