Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Call of Duty Swatting leads to death of a innocent man in Kansas

klash2defklash2def Member EpicPosts: 1,949

The man who was killed, wasn't even a gamer. This swatting culture needs to die and die fast. The kid responsible for this should be charged with involuntary manslaughter. I knew somebody was going to get killed doing this shit and it finally happened. What's worse to me is this man lost his life over nothing.. a fucking video game he didn't even own. All because some kid was a sore loser.. smh. I really hope they track down this kid and arrest him. He needs to be made the example.
"Beliefs don't change facts. Facts, if you're reasonable, should change your beliefs."

"The Society that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting by fools."

Currently: Games Audio Engineer, you didn't hear what I heard, you heard what I wanted you to hear. 

JeffSpicoliAsm0deusMrMelGibsonDakeruGhavriggHermodRenoaku

Comments

• cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,101
    edited December 2017
    I read this in the news what an utter waste of life. Over $1.50.
    klash2defJeffSpicoliMrMelGibsonHermodkitarad
    Chamber of Chains
  • klash2defklash2def Member EpicPosts: 1,949
    "Beliefs don't change facts. Facts, if you're reasonable, should change your beliefs."

"The Society that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting by fools."

Currently: Games Audio Engineer, you didn't hear what I heard, you heard what I wanted you to hear. 

• SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
    edited December 2017
    Worst part is, the victim's totally not part of this argument. Now 2 kids are without a father, a mother without a son and for what? A stupid prank and a petulant jerk. 

I hope that the investigation leads to a conviction of the guy in LA and a thorough investigation of how the hell he was shot in the first place. There seems to be a disconnect between the mother's story and the police version.

Seriously though -- this guy needs to be imprisoned. He's also been arrested in the past for calling in a bomb threat both to a CoD tournament and to an LA-area television station. 

Maybe this will FINALLY bring cyberbullying to the forefront for aggressive prosecution.
    Post edited by SBFord on
    klash2defbartoni33JeffSpicoliAvarixBLNXAsm0deusMadFrenchie[Deleted User]MrMelGibsonDakeruand 1 other.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,981
    The person they arrested had previously done the like of fake bomb threats. I do not think he needed a game to incite him to do this, only that here it was his twisted "reason" for this specific action. Someone like this does not need games to take to crime.
    klash2defSBFordDaranarConstantineMerusJeffSpicoliAvarixSignexMrMelGibsonAllerleirauhHermod
  • cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,101
    If they do not put this guy away the justice system is out of whack.
    SBFordAvarixHatefullForgottenEntityMrMelGibsonHermodkitarad
    Chamber of Chains
    I will never understand this. Swatting is not just in COD.. My nephew was playing Division on xbox just on Thursday when i was over there.. he is 17 and I guess he was kicking some other dudes ass in the dark zone.. well my nephew has this guy who sounds like a full adult saying and i quote "keep laughing little bitch, you must be hacking i'm gonna swat you bitch." Thankfully nothing happened but still that term has become part of FPS/Online Shooter culture. So much so that even I didn't pay that moment much attention. We must have standards to this, we cant just be okay with things like this because as we see actual people get hurt not pixels. 

This kid gave a random address, that means others do it also, which means any of us could die to this prank..

Please parents please teach your kids how to lose. 
    SBFordMrMelGibsonHermod

SBFord said:

I hope that the investigation leads to a conviction of the guy in LA and a thorough investigation of how the hell he was shot in the first place. There seems to be a disconnect between the mother's story and the police version.
    This always happens when the police kill someone. To justify the dead body. They said he was reaching for his waist..I find it hard to believe a confused man who did not own a weapon would be reaching for his waist in that situation. The truth is closer to the man being confused because the police were at his front door. Any of us would be confused. The policeman who shot him (even though he was tricked) didnt ask any questions, he shot the man because he was latino and the story fit the perp in his mind. This happens far too often for me to believe otherwise. That's a whole other bag to unpack.

I do not believe one second the police version. The mother is telling the truth. Imagine the police show up at your door, would your first reaction be to grab a imaginary gun and open the door reaching for your waist? really? That's the story they came with. smh..
    Police. Are. Trigger. Happy. 

But still..None of this happens without that idiotic kid
    HorusraAsm0deusForgottenEntityGolelornMrMelGibsonDakeruHermod

• SirAgravaineSirAgravaine Member RarePosts: 520
    Law enforcement in this country need disarmed. They have no rules of engagement protocol that is even remotely logical.
    klash2defHorusraForgottenEntityHarikenJeffSpicoliKyleranGdemamiRexKushmanHermod
    cheyane said:
    If they do not put this guy away the justice system is out of whack.
    The justice system has been out of wack trust me.
    Allerleirauh

• AAAMEOWAAAMEOW Member RarePosts: 1,605
    America is one of the least safe developing country to be honest.  The police brutality is probably just a reality of the US society.
    klash2defHarikenKyleranHermod
  • CanibalolerCanibaloler Member UncommonPosts: 136
    I thought the "get cancer in real life" curse was the worse I have encountered in Overwatch.. 
    now this.. omg :(
    SBFordOctagon7711
  • RexKushmanRexKushman Member RarePosts: 639
    The guy who called this false report in should be executed, flat out. This nonsense needs to stop
    Signex

• HorusraHorusra Member EpicPosts: 4,411
    klash2def said:
    SBFord said:

This always happens when the police kill someone. To justify the dead body. They said he was reaching for his waist..I find it hard to believe a confused man who did not own a weapon would be reaching for his waist in that situation. The truth is closer to the man being confused because the police were at his front door. Any of us would be confused. The policeman who shot him (even though he was tricked) didnt ask any questions, he shot the man because he was latino and the story fit the perp in his mind. This happens far too often for me to believe otherwise. That's a whole other bag to unpack.

I do not believe one second the police version. The mother is telling the truth. Imagine the police show up at your door, would your first reaction be to grab a imaginary gun and open the door reaching for your waist? really? That's the story they came with. smh..

Too bad body worn cameras have proved you false in most cases.  People should instead follow directions and not do stupid stuff.
    Hatefullklash2defMrMelGibsonSandmanjwHermodangerbeaver
  • DragnelusDragnelus Member EpicPosts: 3,503
    I thought the "get cancer in real life" curse was the worse I have encountered in Overwatch.. 
    now this.. omg :(
    I think thats more EU style and the more weird stuff happens in NA :(
    Canibalolergolem512

• RosenborgRosenborg Member UncommonPosts: 162
    klash2def said:
    SBFord said:

I find it hard to believe a confused man who did not own a weapon would be reaching for his waist in that situation.
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/post-nation/wp/2017/12/08/graphic-video-shows-daniel-shaver-sobbing-and-begging-officer-for-his-life-before-2016-shooting/

I thought about that question when I heard about this case. I guess it's just something you don't really think about, happens out of instinct.

klash2defKyleran
  • JeffSpicoliJeffSpicoli Member EpicPosts: 2,849
    edited December 2017
    Charge caller with Murder In my opinion. 

The fact some people are focusing on law enforcement in this thread is really disturbing and clearly proves you have no idea what law enforcement deal with day in & day out. The reality of this situation is this, Some basement dweller thought it would be funny to have swat team show up on this mans door and got him killed, Thats all there is to it.

Im not one for "making a example of someone" "Or sending a message" but in this case IT NEEDS TO BE DONE. Hopefully a murder charge against the caller will put a scare into the Millennial Brats calling these things in.

Also these idiotic streamers like Ice Poisden need to stop encouraging this kind of behavior with "Im on the corner of 54th and 7th st but dont dox or swat me guys"...... Its all part of his shtick and encourages this kind of behavior

God i sound old..........
    ForgrimmSBFordScorchienOctagon7711MrMelGibsonHermod
    • Aloha Mr Hand ! 

• bonzoso21bonzoso21 Member UncommonPosts: 380
    Hopefully the guy who made the call faces charges of involuntary manslaughter/negligent homicide and filing a false police report. He's obviously a piece of garbage with no respect for anybody, and at least there's a chance he'll do time here. The cop should face the same manslaughter/homicide charge, but he probably won't and he'll be exonerated even if he does. Instead, he's chilling at home with pay right now after showing the world he belongs to the ever-growing ranks of "cops who were never cut out to be cops but didn't realize it until after they killed someone". He'll eventually end up fired, the family will get a settlement, and we'll probably do it all over again next month.
    klash2defForgottenEntityGolelorn
  • ConstantineMerusConstantineMerus Member EpicPosts: 3,338

I remember railing some guy to the walls constantly in Q3A and he told me I must have a fat mom. Man, can't believe that I even miss the venting of the old times. 
    golem512
    Constantine, The Console Poster

• "One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out of touch with their instinctive selves." - Carl Jung
  • DijonCyanideDijonCyanide Member UncommonPosts: 586
    I would like to see the "swatting" perpetrator get the charge of murder.  I think the premeditation & actions fit the charge.  The perpetrator used law enforcement as the weapon for the "swatting" intent & sadly law enforcement was more than willing to go gun with a guns blazing attitude to execute.  Law enforcement is ill prepared & trained for such scenarios of it being a hoax.  Now law enforcement will give a sanitized narration of what happened to cover their ass as much as possible, but in the end an innocent victim died because law enforcement over reacted based on bad intelligence that wasn't verified.  Also, gaming companies should take a hard line on this type of threatening & anyone in game that makes this threat that directly incites violence gets banned after it being verified through due process.  That type of statement isn't free speech it is a threat.  Sympathies to the victim's family.
    klash2defgolem512DauzqulGolelorn
  • KabulozoKabulozo Member RarePosts: 932
    The tipical shoot first ask later.
    klash2def
  • KabulozoKabulozo Member RarePosts: 932
    edited December 2017
    In France, doing that kind of crap sends you right in prison. The police doesn't take such false reports lightly.
    US police are like pitbulls, not bad, but when one of them want to kill you, there is nothing you can do to impede it.
    edited December 2017
    Horusra said:
    klash2def said:
    SBFord said:

Too bad body worn cameras have proved you false in most cases.  People should instead follow directions and not do stupid stuff.
    wtf are you talking about? Did you think before writing that, or did something trigger you?

Do you not see how many people are killed without cause and yes on body camera? You actually think a body camera stops police from killing people? You probably also think the people getting killed are isolated cases even though its thousands a year. 

Im not even going to unpack what you said, just google it. There are so many cases where police kill innocents especially Black Men and get away with it that its laughable. Its easy to get away with murder when the DA wont even take the case to trial. 

"Follow Directions" ? "Not do stupid stuff"? HUH? What did this guy do that was stupid and wasnt following directions.. furthermore what did he do that deemed a police officer to open fire on him at his house? I'll wait for this because I know you are gonna try to deflect.

There are so MANY cases where the police say put your hands up, the man puts his hands up, police still shoot, they always say some bullshit like "i was scared." or "I smelled weed" as if somehow it justifies not following the ROE and shooting an unarmed man. You do realize that even if you don't follow directions, an officer cannot shoot you if you pose no threat. The most they can do is taser. They cannot shoot you with a caliber weapon.

I already know what your comment is about and what you are eluding to but Im going to leave that for you to deal with on your own. 

Wrong is wrong period, stop justifying the bullshit and blaming the victims.

Edit: I really hate when people try to make themselves look smart by saying dumb shit. 
    SinsaiGolelornSandmanjw

• BLNXBLNX Member UncommonPosts: 275
    thunderC said:

The fact some people are focusing on law enforcement in this thread is really disturbing and clearly proves you have no idea what law enforcement deal with day in & day out. The reality of this situation is this, Some basement dweller thought it would be funny to have swat team show up on this mans door and got him killed, Thats all there is to it.

Im not one for "making a example of someone" "Or sending a message" but in this case IT NEEDS TO BE DONE. Hopefully a murder charge against the caller will put a scare into the Millennial Brats calling these things in.

Also these idiotic streamers like Ice Poisden need to stop encouraging this kind of behavior with "Im on the corner of 54th and 7th st but dont dox or swat me guys"...... Its all part of his shtick and encourages this kind of behavior

Murder would be a stretch, I could only see them charging him with that unless they plan on reducing the charges later (in most cases the prosecution will charge the highest they think they can get, just because it's better leverage in general). I can easily see them go for involuntary manslaughter, maybe even negligent homicide. 

The family of the victim will definitely win in civil court at least. Wrongful death pays a lot more than $1.50
    JeffSpicoli
    In the King's Court, I choose to be the Jester.
  • Viper482Viper482 Member LegendaryPosts: 4,065
    BLNX said:
    thunderC said:

Murder would be a stretch, I could only see them charging him with that unless they plan on reducing the charges later (in most cases the prosecution will charge the highest they think they can get, just because it's better leverage in general). I can easily see them go for involuntary manslaughter, maybe even negligent homicide. 

The family of the victim will definitely win in civil court at least. Wrongful death pays a lot more than $1.50

Win what though? The guy is probably some loser living in his parent's basement. 

They can easily get this guy for manslaughter, no matter what he needs to be made an example of. 
    JeffSpicoliSBFordMrMelGibson
    Make MMORPG's Great Again!
This discussion has been closed.