Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

A game for my father

Comments

• PhoebesPhoebes Member UncommonPosts: 190
    How about Rift? I think you all can try it out for free to see if it will work and from what I remember, they have 2 player instances.
  • RaquisRaquis Member RarePosts: 1,029
    all the souls games and Nioh;)
    immodium
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Gaming is seriously not a good idea for someone with his health.Sitting in a chair for long periods is very unhealthy,restricts circulation through legs and body.Best thing for his health is cardio workouts.I been through it all,it is a tough grind to do everyday,easier for me since my job is hard enough work,keeps me in shape.

If your hell bent i feel the reason/purpose should be more focused on the very casual game play and more talking with dad and just keeping it a relaxing atmosphere.Gaming inside of groups can sometimes become toxic,stressful,not really a good atmosphere.

Problem of course is that not many games have visual or chat modes,so all you'll see is a bunch of typing in a chat box,you'll never really feel like it's your dad ,instead someone in a game like everyone else.

I am kind of tired so trying to put myself in your shoes and thinking what would be best is tough without really knowing your dad's likes and dislikes/tendencies.You are definitely on the right track with the 1 hour sort of maximum and party of 2 preferred.

Too bad TCG's are so darn costly,you could challenge each other but maybe he or yourself doesn't even like TCG's.EQ2 is pretty easy to grasp but really all games have some nuances,like struggling with UI etc etc.I personally prefer FFXI as i play on a free server but would be i think too difficult to setup.I would say EQ2 is an easy safe bet being free so you have nothing to lose if you don't like it as FFXIV is a bit of an investment to start.

SirAgravainelaxie

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• frostymugfrostymug Member RarePosts: 645
    For MMORPGs, I would suggest LotRO. Not too hectic. A likely at least somewhat familiar world in a new medium. If he's read the books or watched the movies then exploration would be a super easy sell.

Co-op, I think Diablo III would be good. World would be interesting in a low fantasy, Euro-centric kind of way. Rather simplistic controls to pick up as far as motor skills go. Still can require a little mental exercise on any of the build options and numbered skill usage. Difficulty level settings that can be tweaked and fine tuned enough that he could blast through it solo when you weren't looking.
  • lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    D:OS2 and LotRO are by far the best suggestions. Both have a lower pace and are great to play together.

FFXIV gets quite taxing later on and even Ifrit at lvl 20 could cause some stress, and most others have some form of action combat. Except for WoW, but that might be too cartoony for your dad, and Rifts world really isn't all that. DDO might work too but has aged a lot.

Go play the first two mentioned, I would have loved to have experienced both with my dad.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

• delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081
    edited December 2017
    Ok, I'll be going off path here a little. 

I'm 55 years old. I've been doing Kungfu for 26 years and Tai Chi for over 6.  I've been doing this between one and three hours a day four or five days a week. Now with very hard Kungfu, I've had many injuries in my lifetime.  Infact many trips to the chiropractor. I used to joke by saying "I can do anything to myself because my very good chiropractor can fix me".  For most of this time I was avoiding Tai Chi thinking this is only for old people.  After all just watch it and you would think that....... WAS I EVER WRONG !!!!!! 

Tai Chi is the highest level of martial arts anyone can do.  It moves slow but your storing energy, infact the slower the better. The lower the stance and the slower the movement the better your Tai Chi is. If you do it this way it becomes hard, but you work up to that. 

This is my teachers teacher: 

If you notice in every movement he is never fully extending his arms. This is saved for the stored energy (power).  At times you practice with full energy but not in this video. Now I say "I can do anything to my self Tai Chi can fix it"..... I haven't been to the chiropractor since, AND I'M STILL GOING STRONG, infact more than ever !!! 

Warning: 
    Lots of "bad" Tai Chi on the internet. Most are pure quacks.
    Octagon7711
  • DrunkWolfDrunkWolf Member RarePosts: 1,701
    Ok, I'll be going off path here a little. 

I'm 55 years old. I've been doing Kungfu for 26 years and Tai Chi for over 6.  I've been doing this between one and three hours a day four or five days a week. Now with very hard Kungfu, I've had many injuries in my lifetime.  Infact many trips to the chiropractor. I used to joke by saying "I can do anything to myself because my very good chiropractor can fix me".  For most of this time I was avoiding Tai Chi thinking this is only for old people.  After all just watch it and you would think that....... WAS I EVER WRONG !!!!!! 

Tai Chi is the highest level of martial arts anyone can do.  It moves slow but your storing energy, infact the slower the better. The lower the stance and the slower the movement the better your Tai Chi is. If you do it this way it becomes hard, but you work up to that. 

This is my teachers teacher: 

If you notice in every movement he is never fully extending his arms. This is saved for the stored energy (power).  At times you practice with full energy but not in this video. Now I say "I can do anything to my self Tai Chi can fix it"..... I haven't been to the chiropractor since, AND I'M STILL GOING STRONG, infact more than ever !!! 

Warning: 
    Lots of "bad" Tai Chi on the internet. Most are pure quacks.
    That looks like the type of dude some idiot kids decide to talk shit to then are on youtube later being demolished.
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,981
    If he is not a gamer, don't start him with a MMO. Keep it really simple, something he has already played like card games would be ideal. If the game is based in his real world experiences that will help him immensely. Once that's all working fine, think about something really easymode, preferably two player. One step at a time is the key.
    laxieMrMelGibson
  • JeffSpicoliJeffSpicoli Member EpicPosts: 2,849
    You could always start off by taking him on a tour of Second Life.  The place is huge and there's lots to see, probably with companies there who share his interests.  Nice orientation area for newcomers.
    Isnt that the game that sells Virtual real estate and has toons all dressed in S& M Outfits. Dont get me wrong im no prude but that might be a awkward game to explore along side your dad.
    ScotTiller
    • Aloha Mr Hand ! 

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,981
    thunderC said:
    You could always start off by taking him on a tour of Second Life.  The place is huge and there's lots to see, probably with companies there who share his interests.  Nice orientation area for newcomers.
    Isnt that the game that sells Virtual real estate and has toons all dressed in S& M Outfits. Dont get me wrong im no prude but that might be a awkward game to explore along side your dad.

Not the best idea to start your dad thinking that all gaming is like Second Life. Because he will base his perception of gaming on the first couple of games he plays. :)
    JeffSpicoli
  • CalaruilCalaruil Member UncommonPosts: 141
    Just start with a multiplayer rpg like divinity (already suggested I know).

This will give you more chance to talk, you can pause the game every 30 mins or so and let your dad do some exercises from the physio to help improve his physical ability.

But don't go mmorpg and have him sit in a char, as someone else has said this is bad for him and increases his risk of another stroke or other health related problem/s.
  • CryomatrixCryomatrix Member EpicPosts: 3,223
    I have an idea. 

Virtual reality ESO on PS4 or whatever allows it. Also, if you he is a businessman, perhaps another type of game like Railroad tycoon or a city builder? Also, rocket league is an amazing gear. Very easy to play, it's basically soccer + cars.  

I am not sure you can play together, but it has movement and exercise too. 

Also, about the Tai Chi poster, I'm way too ADHD to do Tai Chi, i'd get bored in the first 5 seconds. 

Cryomatrix
    Catch me streaming at twitch.tv/cryomatrix
    You can see my sci-fi/WW2 book recommendations. 
  • LackingMMOLackingMMO Member RarePosts: 664
    I think people missed the point of him being so far away now, the feel of being there playing with his dad is what hes looking for I think. I think for what your looking for maybe ff14 is the best choice, maybe eso but I always felt that 14's combat was slower where the others are a little more higher speed. Just help him pick a class that is lower maintenance and he should be fine.

I thought about eq2 but not sure of its state, I know with the merc system you could probably duo most of the game.
    PRC_TrexSovrath
  • GruntyGrunty Member EpicPosts: 8,657
    edited December 2017
    If he's now interested in PC games then have him jump into fray.  Don't coddle him with 'easy' games.  He's only 60.  I'm over 60 and I play all types of games that interest me.  From turn based isometric games to RPG to MMOs to Racers to FPS.  

He may now have concentration and possible physical limits that he didn't have a year ago but his mind still works.  Some of the comments here imply those people think 60 is old and frail. Don't treat him like a child.  He's an adult. 

Challenge him.
    LackingMMOTillerBLNXMrMelGibson
    "I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams
  • TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,164
    Grunty said:
    If he's now interested in PC games then have him jump into fray.  Don't coddle him with 'easy' games.  He's only 60.  I'm over 60 and I play all types of games that interest me.  From turn based isometric games to RPG to MMOs to Racers to FPS.  

He may now have concentration and possible physical limits that he didn't have a year ago but his mind still works.  Some of the comments here imply those people think 60 is old and frail. Don't treat him like a child.  He's an adult. 

Challenge him.
    Good point, there are a few folks in their 70's that I know of who play GW2 doing the daily world boss trains.
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

Tiller said:
    Grunty said:

Challenge him.
    Good point, there are a few folks in their 70's that I know of who play GW2 doing the daily world boss trains.
    I don't think people are suggesting his age is a limiting factor. But he has had a stroke which usually effects coordination so people are suggesting an easy game to build up his ability.
    MrMelGibson
  • Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749
    Immersion, not too complex, PvE is a must, playable as a duo, playable in chunks of an hour, not very demanding on the cpu/gfx... yep, based on that list I'd go with those suggested LotRO above. Fits for all of those points, and I'd add one extra even, the community.

It has one of the friendliest community out there, and also (or maybe because of) a fairly mature one. Lots of players are in or above their 60s. Very newbie-friendly too, I posted about the lit course a couple years ago where a bunch of coursemates started LotRO for a few assingments, without any earlier gaming experiences... they've had great fun :wink:
    MrMelGibson
  • PRC_TrexPRC_Trex Member UncommonPosts: 5
    edited December 2017
    Thanks again for the other suggestions, dear friendly strangers. 

- Just to clarify: my dad's physical condition is very good, he's stronger than ever, has a 4 pack, etc. Because he works out every day now. This is a once or twice a week thing (I work crazy myself anyway). It's about exploring a new world & indeed doing it together. 

I'm gonna investigate ESO & EQ2 a bit. ESO combat looks a bit more intense though for a first game, but it being instanced I like. Was looking at even older stuff (like Runescape), but then realized that I myself don't want to be doing that stuff. Plus if the main challenge is to hook him it better looks interesting from the beginning. I think I might try EQ2 or GW1 just to see if he likes RPG's at all for a month, and then show him a bunch of trailers & hope he picks FF14 haha. 

Not that it's a big obstacle, but if I wanna get my wife in: which one is most giant spider-intense?  GW2, DDO, LOTRO, EQ2 or ESO?  I know WoW is a bit overkill in that department. 

HIHA

• Sal1Sal1 Member UncommonPosts: 430
    I agree with this post. It's an online virtual world. And it's not just a bunch of BDSM people dressed up in sexually suggestive clothing like some have implied.
  • TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,164
    Sal1 said:
    I agree with this post. It's an online virtual world. And it's not just a bunch of BDSM people dressed up in sexually suggestive clothing like some have implied.
    It really is though. You are not going to be able to explore SL to any extent without running across something questionable, even in the pg sims where it's left to the sim owners and staff to police them. It is what it is. If it doesn't bother you, than go for it.
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

PRC_Trex said:
    Thanks again for the other suggestions, dear friendly strangers. 

- Just to clarify: my dad's physical condition is very good, he's stronger than ever, has a 4 pack, etc. Because he works out every day now. This is a once or twice a week thing (I work crazy myself anyway). It's about exploring a new world & indeed doing it together. 

I'm gonna investigate ESO & EQ2 a bit. ESO combat looks a bit more intense though for a first game, but it being instanced I like. Was looking at even older stuff (like Runescape), but then realized that I myself don't want to be doing that stuff. Plus if the main challenge is to hook him it better looks interesting from the beginning. I think I might try EQ2 or GW1 just to see if he likes RPG's at all for a month, and then show him a bunch of trailers & hope he picks FF14 haha. 

Not that it's a big obstacle, but if I wanna get my wife in: which one is most giant spider-intense?  GW2, DDO, LOTRO, EQ2 or ESO?  I know WoW is a bit overkill in that department. 
    Giant spider pet for hunter in wow so funny but only looked good imho when they introduced forsaken hunters
  • Zeppel80Zeppel80 Member UncommonPosts: 74
    Guild Wars 2 is OK if he likes it.  I would suggest Elder Scrolls Online.  The older content, about 400 hours worth, is pretty easy.  It's not until you get into the DLC that PvE gets difficult.  It's certainly a game that can be played casually, log on do a quest or two and log off if you want.  I'm older than your father and I play it a lot.

Also, very cool to see you caring for him so much.
  • CryomatrixCryomatrix Member EpicPosts: 3,223
    http://store.steampowered.com/app/654880/Dream_Daddy_A_Dad_Dating_Simulator/

Tongue-in-cheek. This is the one you should get him. It's perfect. Click it. It's a nice gag gift. 

Cryomatrix
    laxieMrMelGibson
    Catch me streaming at twitch.tv/cryomatrix
    You can see my sci-fi/WW2 book recommendations. 
  • lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    http://store.steampowered.com/app/654880/Dream_Daddy_A_Dad_Dating_Simulator/

Tongue-in-cheek. This is the one you should get him. It's perfect. Click it. It's a nice gag gift. 

Cryomatrix
    Apperently its also a pretty good game, go figure...

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir 
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

• MaurgrimMaurgrim Member RarePosts: 1,325
    Star Wars Old Republic are a perfect duo game if he's into Star wars that is.