Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

A game for my father

PRC_TrexPRC_Trex Member UncommonPosts: 5
Hi folks,

I have a very specific question for this community, its a bit a mature discussion, so I hope there is enough respect. 

I moved to a different continent than my family two years ago. Around the same time, my father had a major stroke which made him literally half the workaholic businessman he used to be. He aged 20-30 years overnight. He still *can* do everything (walk, drive, discuss, etc.), but in a weak way and not for long. Basically like a really old man (but he's 60).  

I have been looking for things to do with him besides skyping once a week. To expand his world a bit, his life isn't too interesting anymore. Since it worked wonderful for me and my wife when we were still on long distance, I thought of MMORPG's. Now my father is not a gamer, nor is he really into any frivolous stuff. But he's tied to the house and is curious, so maybe there is an opening. 

I want to ask you all if you could help me decide on a game to propose. Here are some parameters:

- Number one factor will be immersion / game world. Being intrigued by the game world itself it probably the only hook I have to get him in.  He likes euro-fantasy, especially low fantasy, and seemed intrigued when he saw FFXIV, for example.

- The game cannot be too complex to play on a casual level. By this I mean that it cannot be too intense, confusing and especially hard to control to turn him off. Depth is ok as long as its introduced slowly. We don't care at all about end game or PvP at all. PvE is must.

- Must be playable in a party of 2 for normal content. Bigger groups are not a problem in principle but hopefully not too central.

- Must be playable in chunks of an hour. His focus gets tired very fast because of the brain damage.  

- In terms of specs, right now he has I think a dual core laptop; so modern graphics are an issue in the short run. But in the summer when visiting I will install my old gaming pc (i5, 500mb card, 8G ram) so we would have more options.

ANY suggestions, tips or experiences are welcome. Thanks ahead

Right now I play FFXIV, I have a hard time estimating if its a good game for this. I was thinking of Guild Wars 1. 

HIHA

Comments

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    Not exactly what you wanted but there are some good online games like checkers, chess, card games, that a lot of people really like and isn't as twitch combat related.  Good for thinking and basic motor skills strengthening.  

As to MMO's a lot are good if you stick to the starter areas.  From time to time I replay some MMO's just because I enjoy the starter areas so much.  SWTOR, GW2, ESO, Aion, starter areas.
    MrMelGibson

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• HashbrickHashbrick Member RarePosts: 1,851
    As I was reading in my head I was suggesting FFXIV and then you started mentioning exactly that.  So I think your gut is right, that would be a good entry.  It is one of the better casual MMOs to date, not very complex, the system tells you what to avoid and what to do on boss fights etc.  Can easily achieve something in the game in a few hrs.  Story is enjoyable and the world sucks you in.  It gets my vote.
    [[ DEAD ]] - Funny - I deleted my account on the site using the cancel account button.  Forum user is separate and still exists with no way of deleting it. Delete it admins. Do it, this ends now.
  • MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    edited December 2017
    While it isn't an MMORPG, you could try Divinity: Original Sin 2.  Being a turn-based strategy game, you two can take your time during combat and talk out strategy before committing to an attack.  It also has an epic story, huge world interactivity, and a resultingly high-level of immersion.  Also has a lot of "mental challenges" like world puzzles that are beyond what you can expect to get from an MMORPG.
    MrMelGibsonIselinSirAgravainepicommanderSovrathCalaruilWaan

• PRC_TrexPRC_Trex Member UncommonPosts: 5
    Not exactly what you wanted but there are some good online games like checkers, chess, card games, that a lot of people really like and isn't as twitch combat related.  Good for thinking and basic motor skills strengthening.  

As to MMO's a lot are good if you stick to the starter areas.  From time to time I replay some MMO's just because I enjoy the starter areas so much.  SWTOR, GW2, ESO, Aion, starter areas.

Hi, thanks. Yes of course there are other casual games, he probably still beats me in chess. But I thought of RPG because of the 'new world' part of it. 

HIHA

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    While it isn't an MMORPG, you could try Divinity: Original Sin 2.  Being a turn-based strategy game, you two can take your time during combat and talk out strategy before committing to an attack.  It also has an epic story, huge world interactivity, and a resultingly high-level of immersion.  Also has a lot of "mental challenges" like world puzzles that are beyond what you can expect to get from an MMORPG.
    +1

DOS:2 is a very immersive RPG with deep story lines that is made to be played solo or co-op. Its turn based nature makes it ideal for anyone who might have issues with the frantic real time pace of most MMOs.

It is also very easy on old HW if you turn down some of the bells and whistles.

This would be a great introduction to co-op gaming for any non-gamer before they move on to something a bit more demanding.
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• MrMelGibsonMrMelGibson Member EpicPosts: 3,033
    I've been thinking of doing something similar with my Dad.  Mmos might be a bit much for my dad out of the gate.  But I'm going to first put Xcom2 and Civ5 on the computer I got him. Obviously putting it on the lowest settings.  My father loves chess and is very good at it.  I'm thinking it will make his transition to gaming easier.  

Does your dad have/had any hobbies?  My uncle loves to fish, but is getting really old.  So I'm thinking about setting up World of Fishing on his computer.  If you find some common ground, your dad will get into gaming easier, than introduce him to Wow or FF14.  My advice would be Wow though.  I got my wife into gaming a few years back by playing Wow together.  It starts very simple and easy to use. Once he gets the hang of it, try FF14.
    TsiyaMadFrenchie
  • SirAgravaineSirAgravaine Member RarePosts: 520
    edited December 2017
    ESO is by far the closest to your description. Low entry curve, low euro-styled fantasy, the world/exploration is the most intriguing part and it is perfect for casual play.

ESO = Elder Scrolls Online
  • delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081
    You talked about GW1, that's very dated..... Is something wrong with GW2 that your not telling us.  Because GuildWars 2 seems about right for him and similar to FF14.  

GW2 is optimized very well, should run on anything. Infact my friend has a junky laptop and it runs well for him.

SirAgravaine
  • laxielaxie Member RarePosts: 1,118
    My dad builds computers for a living, but when he gets home, he is too tired to do anything. He dislikes complex games and usually just wants something to relax with.

I tried to show him MMORPGs, but he never grew close to any of them. I think the freedom of choice is uncomfortable to someone who wants to zone out with a game.

There are two games he loves though. Titan Quest, where he loves the peaceful Greek environment and the fact that he can basically left click his way to victory. And Shot Online, which is a free to play golf game. He is not a sports fan, but that game is a great match for what he is after. He loves them so much now, to the point where he is playing Titan Quest for the third time over and is looking forward to coming home from work (something that wasn't true for a long time).

The number one barrier to entry in an MMO, for my dad, is the combat system. He doesn't like games where he has to do two things at once, so anything with an action combat is out the window. He did play Ultima Online and Everquest 2 with me at times - both of those games are relatively static in terms of casual combat.

I bought him Overwatch for Christmas, but that was a step too far. He does play shooters occasionally, but a team objective based one is too complex - keeping track of who is on your team is too challenging.

So the take home message is that my dad has very different criteria to enjoying games. To me, it's about immersion, lore, etc. And while my dad says he looks for those thing in games too, ultimately it comes down to the core gameplay loop and how complex it is.
    Octagon7711MrMelGibson
  • delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081
    laxie said:
    My dad builds computers for a living, but when he gets home, he is too tired to do anything. He dislikes complex games and usually just wants something to relax with.

I tried to show him MMORPGs, but he never grew close to any of them. I think the freedom of choice is uncomfortable to someone who wants to zone out with a game.

There are two games he loves though. Titan Quest, where he loves the peaceful Greek environment and the fact that he can basically left click his way to victory. And Shot Online, which is a free to play golf game. He is not a sports fan, but that game is a great match for what he is after. He loves them so much now, to the point where he is playing Titan Quest for the third time over and is looking forward to coming home from work (something that wasn't true for a long time).

The number one barrier to entry in an MMO, for my dad, is the combat system. He doesn't like games where he has to do two things at once, so anything with an action combat is out the window. He did play Ultima Online and Everquest 2 with me at times - both of those games are relatively static in terms of casual combat.

I bought him Overwatch for Christmas, but that was a step too far. He does play shooters occasionally, but a team objective based one is too complex - keeping track of who is on your team is too challenging.

So the take home message is that my dad has very different criteria to enjoying games. To me, it's about immersion, lore, etc. And while my dad says he looks for those thing in games too, ultimately it comes down to the core gameplay loop and how complex it is.
    The message I get out of this is, never try and guess what people like. 

It's a matter of taste !

I told my wife don't ever buy me a video game for Christmas or anything. For me at least, you cant put words to what I like. 
    laxie
  • Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    You talked about GW1, that's very dated..... Is something wrong with GW2 that your not telling us.  Because GuildWars 2 seems about right for him and similar to FF14.  

GW2 is optimized very well, should run on anything. Infact my friend has a junky laptop and it runs well for him.

He stated that he wanted simple combat controls and GW2s dodging and combat movement might be a little too much, at least to start with. Now, if he start to enjoy something a bit simpler moving up tp GW2 after a while is certanly a possibility...

Guildwars do look pretty dated but it is still a fun game for Duo play and the Diablo styled leftclick movement is rather easy to learn. The skill system is easy to learn but hard to master.

It certainly is a bit aged though, just as the second game I would suggest: DDO.

Otherwise is generally the problem that a game with a simple system so often have a simple none immersive world. A game like Forsaken world is both relatively pretty (but can still run on a low end computer) and rather simple but it have terrible quests and the world really feels staged.
  • sunandshadowsunandshadow Member RarePosts: 1,985
    If he's ok with a more humorous content that references folk tales and things like sherlock holmes, I would really recommend Wizard 101.
    MadFrenchie
    I want to help design and develop a PvE-focused, solo-friendly, sandpark MMO which combines crafting, monster hunting, and story.  So PM me if you are starting one.
  • JeffSpicoliJeffSpicoli Member EpicPosts: 2,849
    You are a good son Op . I really want to recommend something unfortunately every mmo I think of has some degree of complexity to it. What about something a little more straight forward like war thunder or even destiny 2. The wow 1-30 expierance would be fun to play alongside your dad .
    Tsiya[Deleted User]
    • Aloha Mr Hand ! 

• PirrayaPirraya Member UncommonPosts: 14
    Look no further than Lord of the Rings online, and ARK. Madly immersive, top notch comunity, especially on the most active rp servers. ark mostly for the mad immersion if one can get to enjoy the game for what it is.
  • TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,167
    edited December 2017
    MMOs might not be the best place to start. Try multi-player games first.

I know it looks silly, but it's loads of fun
    http://store.steampowered.com/app/282800/100_Orange_Juice/

and this...a fun twist on Solitaire
    http://store.steampowered.com/app/463980/Solitairica/

and of course any board game you could imagine with multi-player
    http://store.steampowered.com/app/286160/Tabletop_Simulator/

digital board game that is decently paced
    http://store.steampowered.com/app/290340/Armello/

For someone who has never played a Civ game before and may need a decent bit of guidance this is good one to start with
    http://store.steampowered.com/app/289070/Sid_Meiers_Civilization_VI/

Octagon7711
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• GruntyGrunty Member EpicPosts: 8,657
    edited December 2017
    MMO
       Vindictus. Warframe is probably too fast and players can be impatient if you lag behind.

Co-op

Look for turn-based games

Portal 2

Early access but very positive reviews, local and online multiplayer with minimal hardware requirements. 
    http://store.steampowered.com/app/527230/For_The_King/

Others in similar veins;  36 pages of games
    http://store.steampowered.com/search/?category3=9,36,38
    Post edited by Grunty on
    "I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams
  • IceAgeIceAge Member EpicPosts: 3,120
    Hearthstone , WoW - Quest side at least :)
    MrMelGibsonJeffSpicoli

Reporter: What's behind Blizzard success, and how do you make your gamers happy?
    Blizzard Boss: Making gamers happy is not my concern, making money.. yes!

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    You could always start off by taking him on a tour of Second Life.  The place is huge and there's lots to see, probably with companies there who share his interests.  Nice orientation area for newcomers.
    Sal1

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383
    I would recommend a turn based strategy like Civilization, of if he wants a bit more pizzazz there are titles like Endless Legend (more euro-fantasy based). And another shameless plug for Factorio, would also be a good one you could play together, isn't high stress, yet will be highly entertaining.
    Octagon7711
  • picommanderpicommander Member UncommonPosts: 256
    Still have to play DOS:2 as I'm still at DOS:1 (looking forward though!). But most what is said is also true for this version. While it's not an MMORPG it's a full fledged CRPG that easily beats every MMORPG I've ever played. And it does the wonder to get my wife, who's not a gamer at all, to play together with me! Not sure if it has a per to per online function (never checked) but if that's a requirement for you, then yeah, go with DOS:2. Your father should have some sense for fantasy settings though: Trolls, Goblins, Orks and the likes but no simple minded decisions about good and evil. This part is a lot more matured than your average MMORPG. ;)

p.s.: I'm a chess player myself and I do love this game! Combat is often quite demanding and requires a similar mindset.
    MadFrenchieMrMelGibson
  • AlexanderVendiAlexanderVendi Member UncommonPosts: 375
    Games/mmo's usually drain up brain juice , i strongly suggest books and mental pressure from you to make him go out / exercise / stay active.
    Games/mmo's usually drain up brain juice , i strongly suggest books and mental pressure from you to make him go out / exercise / stay active.

Thanks for the medical advise, but actually all he does is read, walk & do (1+ hour) of gym every day :)  It's not about that. 
    MrMelGibsonatonicoAlexanderVendi

HIHA

Thanks for the many experiences and suggestions so far. 

Some replies:

- I said Guildwars 1 because it is instanced and runs on a laptop, which I think could be an easy start. If I'm correct ESO is instanced to right? 

- I like the MMO part because just maybe it sparks some sense of community. But Coop RPG is an interesting suggestion. 

- I remember when I was looking a few years ago for a game to play with wife, we dismissed GW2, ESO and especially WoW (+a lot of others) because she/we didn't enjoy enormous spiders. But I guess to play with my dad I can make an exception and reconsider some of these titles. 

- So yea i'm looking for both a graphic low end and a better follow up title once we get that other PC for him. Now I think about it there is also an older gaming pc already installed; it can run unreal 3 graphics on low/mid (it's windows XP though). That should open some more options. 

- When I say complex, I mean essentially having to do a lot of things at once, and keeping track of a lot of things. Of course many games have depth, mechanics, etc. Intelligence is not the problem, focus is. 

HIHA

• TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,167
    You could always start off by taking him on a tour of Second Life.  The place is huge and there's lots to see, probably with companies there who share his interests.  Nice orientation area for newcomers.
    Bad idea lol. SL can be a bit of culture shock to people new to multiplayer gaming. The ones who have never played any games outside of SL are for the most part batshit crazy and tend to play SL like it's their only life.  I know from experience since I've played it off and on since 2004 and seen a lot of shit. Just show him to Korea 1 or Violet sim and I bet he would never be back.

SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    PRC_Trex said:

- I like the MMO part because just maybe it sparks some sense of community. But Coop RPG is an interesting suggestion. 

The reason I think co-op RPG is a good place to start is that most of us started with RPGs before we went on to play MMORPGs.

I'm not thinking of your father's potential limitations when I say that. I'm mostly thinking about his lack of gaming experience and MMOs perhaps being too much to begin with for a non-gamer.

One of the things about Divinity Original Sin 2 that may also be appealing to Western fantasy fans with little gaming experience is its very forgiving "story mode" where you can enjoy all it has to offer story wise without much difficulty in combat. That's not something you can adjust in MMOs.

laxieMrMelGibson
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED