Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

It's over, Anakin! I bought the high ground!

2»

Comments

• slurpee222slurpee222 Member UncommonPosts: 25
    I sold my UO account back in 1999 for 750$. Sold my Everquest account for 300$.

In SWG, i was selling those halycons(?) (thing needed for jedi) for 75$ each on ebay. Was shocked how many people were buying those.
  • RexKushmanRexKushman Member RarePosts: 639
    I love seeing some people in this thread gleefully brag about buying and selling things in game for real money and against TOS who trash microtransactions in newer games. Pathetic...
    bartoni33

• CryomatrixCryomatrix Member EpicPosts: 3,223
    I love seeing some people in this thread gleefully brag about buying and selling things in game for real money and against TOS who trash microtransactions in newer games. Pathetic...

They're not the same thing at all . .  

When a game has microtransaction in it and they make the game in a way that pushes you towards those microtransactions that is an issue. They do this by P2W mechanics or whatever. 

I have no problems with microtransactions in general, my main game, Path of Exile, has cosmetic microtransactions. I purchase them when I feel like it. 

When players sell stuff to other players, it is a different setup, a different feel. Yes, $ is transferred for pixels, but to me it is an even barter system. The microtransaction bullshit in certain games is just bullshit. 

I don't actually trash microtransactions that much, I get it, I just don't play games that push players towards it. Overall, RexKushman, you need to see the difference between a company putting out microtransactions (some are legit and others are lame) and people just selling stuff to each other. 

Cryomatrix

RexKushman
    Catch me streaming at twitch.tv/cryomatrix
    You can see my sci-fi/WW2 book recommendations. 

When a game has microtransaction in it and they make the game in a way that pushes you towards those microtransactions that is an issue. They do this by P2W mechanics or whatever. 

I have no problems with microtransactions in general, my main game, Path of Exile, has cosmetic microtransactions. I purchase them when I feel like it. 

When players sell stuff to other players, it is a different setup, a different feel. Yes, $ is transferred for pixels, but to me it is an even barter system. The microtransaction bullshit in certain games is just bullshit. 

I don't actually trash microtransactions that much, I get it, I just don't play games that push players towards it. Overall, RexKushman, you need to see the difference between a company putting out microtransactions (some are legit and others are lame) and people just selling stuff to each other. 

Cryomatrix

I completely disagree. You are either ok with people spending money to get things in game, be they cosmetic or usable, or you are not. Saying its ok to sell your max level toon on ebay  but that EA having loot boxes is an affront to gaming is an idiotic position. (I'm not saying that that applies to you, just in general)

• MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505

Cryomatrix

I completely disagree. You are either ok with people spending money to get things in game, be they cosmetic or usable, or you are not. Saying its ok to sell your max level toon on ebay  but that EA having loot boxes is an affront to gaming is an idiotic position. (I'm not saying that that applies to you, just in general)
    Cosmetics and usable is a substantial difference.  Something that affects a player's effectiveness (i.e. better turn rate for starfighters in BF2) is much more destructive to a competitive environment than a shweet skin.
    bartoni33RexKushman

• bartoni33bartoni33 Member RarePosts: 2,044

Cryomatrix

I am OK with doing what I want with a product I bought, including selling it.

Simple as that. Anything less and you are a corporate shill clutching your precious TOC like a baby clutches her mothers teet.

Bartoni's Law definition: As an Internet discussion grows volatile, the probability of a comparison involving Donald Trump approaches 1.

• SirAgravaineSirAgravaine Member RarePosts: 520
    I never did, because I was lazy. My brother, however....

SWG - Sold credits (he had millions, he was the top Armorsmith on our server, buying up all of the 900+ materials): about $700 worth. I believe he sold an account or two as well.

EVE - Sold accounts. He would create a new account, specialize in learning skills (no longer in live), level them up to maximize efficiency of other skills and get to account to a base level of skill points and then sell it. Sold probably 6-12 accounts: ~$2,000

bartoni33

Cryomatrix

Cosmetics and usable is a substantial difference.  Something that affects a player's effectiveness (i.e. better turn rate for starfighters in BF2) is much more destructive to a competitive environment than a shweet skin.
    I agree. Do you think that someone selling their max level kitted out toon on EBAY is just as destructive? I do, and that was my point. There are people in this thread, who I won't call out by name because I don't feel like waiting out a temp ban, that are bragging about selling their toons in other games who trashed BF2 for it's loot boxes. Those are the hypocritical idiots I'm talking about.
    bartoni33MadFrenchie

• bartoni33bartoni33 Member RarePosts: 2,044

Cryomatrix

I agree. Do you think that someone selling their max level kitted out toon on EBAY is just as destructive? I do, and that was my point. There are people in this thread, who I won't call out by name because I don't feel like waiting out a temp ban, that are bragging about selling their toons in other games who trashed BF2 for it's loot boxes. Those are the hypocritical idiots I'm talking about.
    How is someone selling a toon, max level or otherwise, destructive?

I'm curious because if you give the answer I think you might give I could see truth in your position. Either that or you will be seen as the person I named in my last post.

Bartoni's Law definition: As an Internet discussion grows volatile, the probability of a comparison involving Donald Trump approaches 1.

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    This guy bought the high ground for 20 years.

Hacker Reflects On 20 Years Of Exploiting MMO Security Flaws For Money

A hacker going by the name Manfred spent much of the last two decades finding ways to make money by manipulating the economies inside MMOs. This weekend he shared his story with a crowd at Def Con 2017 in Las Vegas and argued for better security in online games.
    https://kotaku.com/hacker-reflects-on-20-years-of-exploiting-mmo-security-1797377262
    bartoni33anemo

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• CalaruilCalaruil Member UncommonPosts: 141
    This guy bought the high ground for 20 years.

Hacker Reflects On 20 Years Of Exploiting MMO Security Flaws For Money

A hacker going by the name Manfred spent much of the last two decades finding ways to make money by manipulating the economies inside MMOs. This weekend he shared his story with a crowd at Def Con 2017 in Las Vegas and argued for better security in online games.
    https://kotaku.com/hacker-reflects-on-20-years-of-exploiting-mmo-security-1797377262
    Whilst I don't agree with what he did I must say well played
  • hallucigenocidehallucigenocide Member RarePosts: 1,015
    nope.. if i ever had an account or character worth selling i'd probably be really attached to it myself so that's not going to happen.

I had fun once, it was terrible.

• CalaruilCalaruil Member UncommonPosts: 141
    I must say I considered selling my wow account but I couldn' do it to Ulanji the ape I got In stranglethorn at LVL 35 or something.

Been with me ever since. I used it for everything, even pvp
    Calaruil said:
    I must say I considered selling my wow account but I couldn' do it to Ulanji the ape I got In stranglethorn at LVL 35 or something.

Been with me ever since. I used it for everything, even pvp
    I still have my raptor, Ikeru, that I got in the Wetlands at whatever level that was appropriate.
    Calaruil
  • AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    Back in the earlier days of FFXI, you could net 1-2k if you had a relic weapon.
  • SagornSagorn Member UncommonPosts: 25
    When I played EQ seriously back in the day I used to run my own 6 man group. I was using a druid for a healer and I really needed a better one so I bought a Plane of Time geared Cleric. When I decided to quit I sold it to some other dude in my guild. If it sounds like I was being slack I had already got 7 characters fully planar attuned which if you played back in the day when Planes of Power came out you would know that took a lot of time and effort. 
  • PurplePoloPlayerPurplePoloPlayer Member UncommonPosts: 145
    I bought and sold tons of Stone of Jordon rings on Ebay for Diablo 2 back in the day. Waaaaaaayy back in the day. Damm I'm old. Is it really 2018?
    Calaruil
    Check out my stream at www.twitch.tv/purplepoloplayer!
    I bought and sold tons of Stone of Jordon rings on Ebay for Diablo 2 back in the day. Waaaaaaayy back in the day. Damm I'm old. Is it really 2018?
    That was only like...20 years ago?