Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The MMOsThat Had It Worst in 2017 - The List - MMORPG.com

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited December 2017 in News & Features Discussion

imageThe MMOsThat Had It Worst in 2017 - The List - MMORPG.com

The MMO genre is filled with bad games, mediocre games, and games we’re all surprised manage to keep on running. This list is not for them, because well... we’d be here all day. Instead, we’re listing out five MMOs that had a really bad or disappointing year. Some were closed, some failed to live up to hype, and others just kind of lingered on like a shambling corpse waiting for judgment day. Here then are our MMOs that had it worst in 2017.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• WraithoneWraithone Member RarePosts: 3,806
    I notice that you didn't mention Wildstar, Bill... I continue to be amazed that NCsoft hasn't pulled the plug yet. From what I hear (rumor) its the pet project of someone in the upper management over there. Given NCsofts long history of axing western games, I'm wondering how long even that will save them.

Its too bad, as its not a bad game. It does have fun elements, but it tries to be too many things, to too many people. Not to mention the earlier "hard core" focus, in an age of casuals...
    EponyxDamorScottJeslisAlverantCryolitycal[Deleted User]daltaniousCopperfield
    "If you can't kill it, don't make it mad."
  • SomeHumanSomeHuman Member UncommonPosts: 560
    I'm disappointed in Albion. It turned into a craft-grind or auction game, and the gameplay mechanics never hit the sweet spot for me. I don't get it. There are so many games out there with this perspective that have excellent pvp gameplay and satisfying combat. I've been ignoring SoA for the last year or so and just let it update a gig or two here and there. I'm ready to jump back in and probably be let down. Talk about community though! They need to figure out how to bottle-up that enthusiasm of their core players and deliver it to the masses. If they unlock that puzzle, I think they'd have a long-standing mmorpg.
    [Deleted User]Thunder073

Gaming since 1985; Online gaming since 1995; No End in Sight! My YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8POVoJ8fdOseuJ4U1ZX-oA

• WarzodWarzod Member RarePosts: 495
    Wildstar is an excellent game now but people just can't get over their previous notions of the title to give it a second chance. As for shuttering it, I would imagine they are reluctant after the public's reaction to axing CoX.
    SplattrAlverantCryolitycalViterzgirwingood
  • BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565

Wraithone said:

I notice that you didn't mention Wildstar, Bill... I continue to be amazed that NCsoft hasn't pulled the plug yet. From what I hear (rumor) its the pet project of someone in the upper management over there. Given NCsofts long history of axing western games, I'm wondering how long even that will save them.

Its too bad, as its not a bad game. It does have fun elements, but it tries to be too many things, to too many people. Not to mention the earlier "hard core" focus, in an age of casuals...

I'd imagine if Carbine's next project doesn't do well, W* and the new project will both go down.
    ScottJeslisRobR2015rojoArcueid

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
    Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

• CanibalolerCanibaloler Member UncommonPosts: 136
    sad but true..
  • blorpykinsblorpykins Member RarePosts: 466
    If Shroud of the Avatar would do a wipe before they launch in March and stop all the RMT and stop making items for microtransactions the priority, they could focus development on all the broken mechanics and glitchy systems and bugs.
    SomeHumanX-MarKjammaplayaSarlapostlarvalAron_Swordmasterjason523
  • ElvocElvoc Member RarePosts: 546

If Shroud of the Avatar would do a wipe before they launch in March and stop all the RMT and stop making items for microtransactions the priority, they could focus development on all the broken mechanics and glitchy systems and bugs.

If SOA would just become a single player RPG it may have chance to survive, but its took to long and development outlasted the hype.
    blorpykinsTuor7wingoodAgent_JosephAron_Swordmasterjason523
  • ForgrimmForgrimm Member EpicPosts: 3,059
    I haven't heard a peep about Albion since shortly after release. Did the pop die out already?
  • mussolinimussolini Member UncommonPosts: 200
    "Richard Garriott is a legend" Sorry why he is? He is failing all the times with his games. I dont think hes a legend. If you read his name just skip that game so actually yes he is. Legend of epic fails...
    SamhaelTiamat64SnackMasterBThunder073Ice-QueenJoseph_KerrSarlaAgent_JosephAron_Swordmasterjason523
  • AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,836
    mussolini said:
    "Richard Garriott is a legend" Sorry why he is? He is failing all the times with his games. I dont think hes a legend. If you read his name just skip that game so actually yes he is. Legend of epic fails...
    Legend is the wrong word to describe him. He's a relic. Important to history, but incapable of competing in the market even 10 years ago with Tabula Rasa, let alone today.
    SamhaelTiamat64SnackMasterBBeezerbeezThunder073Ice-QueenFrodoFraginsBenezettaJoseph_KerrrojoArcueidand 4 others.
  • OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726
    Aeander said:
    mussolini said:
    Legend is the wrong word to describe him. He's a relic. Important to history, but incapable of competing in the market even 10 years ago with Tabula Rasa, let alone today.
    Everyone wants to ding Tabula Rasa when it was a decent game.  He did make the Ultima's with Ultima Online being the first real MMO(Meridian 59 was such a secret that few actually played the game).  So yes he is a legend who has not had a hit in a while, but them few designers seem to ever follow hits with subsequent ones.
    [Deleted User]NodensAlpha
  • ConstantineMerusConstantineMerus Member EpicPosts: 3,338

Wraithone said:

I'd imagine if Carbine's next project doesn't do well, W* and the new project will both go down.
    And a lot of people would sleep with the fishes. 
    Constantine, The Console Poster

• "One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out of touch with their instinctive selves." - Carl Jung
  • Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Aeander said:
    mussolini said:
    Someone that is a "legend" is someone that made great things in the past.
    Garriot more or less created the computer RPG genre so I think legend is the perfect word to describe him.

He have indeed not made anything good lately though and computer RPGs have moved far from when he last made something really good so I wont give him any good odds on a new game. However, he is talented so nothing is impossible, people have made comebacks before.

Right now a few legends are making crowdfunded games but to me it seems like Pantheon is the one that have best potential of being a fun MMO. Heck, I am happy if one of the games becomes good, be that SotA, CU , Pantheon or something else.

BruceYeeNephethAron_Swordmaster
  • WhiteLanternWhiteLantern Member RarePosts: 3,309

Aeander said:

mussolini said:

I was going to go with "more mythical than legendary", but relic works too, I suppose.

I want a mmorpg where people have gone through misery, have gone through school stuff and actually have had sex even. -sagil

• AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    edited December 2017

Wraithone said:

Regardless of what Carbine is trying to do, the main issue is that the mmo genre is already oversaturated regardless what sub genre they try to tactic. When you wrote that response, I was thinking they could've pulled a Hi-Rez and just go from the MMO scene to maybe the moba scene or something and find success, but with so many things coming out in 2018 alone plus some titles still doing alright from previous years, there just might not be room, especially since WS was just a clone with little innovation behind it.
  • BruceYeeBruceYee Member EpicPosts: 2,556

Forgrimm said:

I haven't heard a peep about Albion since shortly after release. Did the pop die out already?

Feels like it may not see another 6 months-year which is the main reason I don't play it anymore.

Maybe adding it to Steam could help? At this point even if it gets negative reviews it would still probably gain a few players.
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Funny thing about Carbine is former employees of Blizzard's best selling games.It really says a lot about popularity of a BRAND more than the actual games.Many could argue that if WS for example was released by Blizzard it would do amazing because Blizzard has a rabid following of people that buy anything and everything Blizzard releases.

IMO the Blizzard model does not work,only for Blizzard so why so many keep making similar looking games is beyond me.

There is a supposed AAA game being worked on by Carbine,how much you bet it will look cartoony..cheap...low end graphics.

As to Tabula Rasa,well NCSOFT supposedly forced that out way too fast before it was ready.NCSOFT is in charge so Carbine will often just be the puppet.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• KezAzzameanKezAzzamean Member UncommonPosts: 10
    Shroud of The Avatar is probably the worst MMO I have ever seen with the hype that it had. That game is pure trash and will be an epic failure. That said, Richard Garriot supposedly made great games back in the 1980's. Seeming that Koster was the charge of UO, I am not sure it would be fitting for Garriot to take credit for that.

Anyway, SoTA is trash.
    jammaplayaIce-QueenSarlaAgent_JosephAron_Swordmasterjason523
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    Marvel Heroes is the only game on the list I actually played. Will miss that game.

Wildstar I played beta, at launch and still return from time to time but still can't get into. It's so much like WoW, I think I should just play that.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• TheScavengerTheScavenger Member EpicPosts: 3,321
    I think for Wildstar, the two huge things are the over the top humor and the housing. Both can be love/hate kinda thing

In an age of gamers taking things way too seriously and not having fun anymore in the games they play, wildstar is a breath of fresh air with the hilarious humor it has. Not to mention the over the top cartoony graphics.

But I couldn't get into Wildstar. I loved the humor, graphics and it was pretty fun. But, I'd rather play ESO and BDO so it just couldn't beat out those two for me.
    Alverant

My Skyrim, Fallout 4, Starbound and WoW + other game mods at MODDB: 

https://www.moddb.com/mods/skyrim-anime-overhaul

• WarlyxWarlyx Member EpicPosts: 3,363
    edited December 2017
    wildstar combat was the main failure , animations were kinda meh , and for me a huge failure on classes , yeah we have warrior with just 2h (why not dual 1h too)? , the stalker could use daggers instead of claws , ect
    limited skills doesnt help , cartoony or humor i dont care , but the whole game lacks still today polish...

Marvel heroes will be missed

SoTa is one of the worst "alpha" games that i have played , the combat is horrible.

Albion failed flat on its own "hype-face".

devillian had no updates , and reveltation was a auto-play mmorpg :/
    HarikenAron_Swordmasterjason523
  • Viper482Viper482 Member LegendaryPosts: 4,064

Warzod said:

Wildstar is an excellent game now but people just can't get over their previous notions of the title to give it a second chance. As for shuttering it, I would imagine they are reluctant after the public's reaction to axing CoX.

I gave it a second chance, it still sucks. Next excuse?
    Joseph_Kerr
    Make MMORPG's Great Again!
  • goozmaniagoozmania Member RarePosts: 394
    Wildstar's combat is just really bad... You can't circumvent that with content updates...

It reminds me very much of FF14 before it got rebooted.
    Hariken
  • Tykam123Tykam123 Member UncommonPosts: 95
    edited December 2017
    The Wildstar hate is astonishing. Dislike it, but then move on. The Viper gentleman above me is clearly living a miserable life if hes gonna attack people who enjoy something different than him. Overall, I do enjoy Wildstar from time to time. I love the lore, the combat actually requires you to dodge things, and the world just feels neat. I also found the comment above interesting where someone wondered what would happen if Blizzard released it. I am sure we would have had a second huge title in the market. Waiting for the year ahead message. It is miraculous that the game hasnt been shut down with all of the negative feedback and dropping population.
    Soulsemmer
  • odiasudaodiasuda Member UncommonPosts: 162

goozmania said:

Wildstar's combat is just really bad... You can't circumvent that with content updates...

It reminds me very much of FF14 before it got rebooted.

Yep, it's a turd. Nothing can overcome terrible combat in a game.
    Hariken