Quantcast

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Steam Link good? Discounted

DragnelusDragnelus Member EpicPosts: 3,264
http://store.steampowered.com/app/353380/Steam_Link/

Saw it discounted



How is the quality? 

Comments

  • kernomkernom Member UncommonPosts: 9
    If you can get it properly connected to your network using an ethernet cable the quality is great. Don't expect it to function properly over wi-fi.
    bartoni33Torval
  • VrikaVrika Member EpicPosts: 6,438
    edited November 2017
    HDMI cable is much better if your TV is close enough to computer:
      https://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-High-Speed-HDMI-Cable-1-Pack/dp/B01JH70UQ0

    EDIT: Provided that you've got wireless mouse/keyboard/controller with enough range to reach your computer /EDIT
    RidelynnPsYcHoGBRSignexTorval
     
  • CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,254
    I got one just recently when I saw it selling for $1 as part of a bundle. I didn't even hook it up yet.
  • DragnelusDragnelus Member EpicPosts: 3,264
    Ok thnx! Is it the same as I download moonlight on my android tv?

  • Dagon13Dagon13 Member UncommonPosts: 566
    kernom said:
    If you can get it properly connected to your network using an ethernet cable the quality is great. Don't expect it to function properly over wi-fi.
    Just want to reinforce this statement.  I bought the steam link a week ago and couldn't even stream FF3 over my wi-fi.  I doubt my situation applies to everyone but it's a real possibility.  I wouldn't buy it unless you're prepared for it to be wired.
    PhryTorval
  • RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,061
    I got one about a year ago. I think it's neat. All it really is is a dumb terminal for Steam In-Home Streaming. You can accomplish the same thing with any old laptop or PC (plus running stuff outside of Steam) - although for the price and the power use, Steam Link is a neat piece of hardware.

    It does work pretty well on my WiFi - I wouldn't play something competitive online like CS:GO or SFV on it, but I can play single player FPSs (Borderlands, etc), and it's absolutely awesome for single player RPGs, visual novels, etc. I wouldn't say that universally it's crappy on WiFi, because that's not the case. It just depends on your WiFi situation. I happen to live out in the middle of nowhere and have a pretty much every channel available - no other SSIDs around, and my WiFi is great. My ISP, on the other hand...


    Torval
  • VrikaVrika Member EpicPosts: 6,438
    Dragnelus said:
    Ok thnx! Is it the same as I download moonlight on my android tv?
    No. Moonlight is NVidia's technology.

    If you've got Android TV and good enough NVidia's graphic card to support their streaming, and both are connected to your home network, you can use that to stream picture to your TV without getting Steam Link.


    You need to open GeForce Experience on your computer, then on GeForce Experience go to Settings -> Shield and from there enable Gamestream.

    Once that is done, open Moonlight on TV and it should find your computer.

    Then you'll need to add the program you want to stream to your GeForce Experience's gamestream settings. If you add c:\windows\system32\mstsc.exe that's Windows remote desktop client and allows you to use your computer on TV screen.  This is on Windows 7 I'm not sure about other Windows versions. 

    You can also add games directly to the list so that you can launch them directly using Moonlight if you want but I've never found much use for that feature.
     
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 8,967
    I was about to get one but I have one TV which is next to my PC.  So I really have no need for one.  PC has a HDMI connection linking the flat screen. For other rooms there's the laptops and tablets.

    "We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

  • VrikaVrika Member EpicPosts: 6,438
    Ridelynn said:

    It does work pretty well on my WiFi - I wouldn't play something competitive online like CS:GO or SFV on it, but I can play single player FPSs (Borderlands, etc), and it's absolutely awesome for single player RPGs, visual novels, etc. I wouldn't say that universally it's crappy on WiFi, because that's not the case. It just depends on your WiFi situation. I happen to live out in the middle of nowhere and have a pretty much every channel available - no other SSIDs around, and my WiFi is great. My ISP, on the other hand...
    Working on WiFi also depends a lot on what WiFi technology you use.

    I had to buy a new router that supports 5 GHz bands for streaming through WiFi, but once I made that purchase streaming through home network has worked really well.
    Octagon7711
     
  • Asm0deusAsm0deus Member EpicPosts: 3,245
    edited November 2017
    From what I have read it's pretty much junk.  See this thread:

    http://www.mmorpg.com/news/grab-a-steam-link-for-just-a-buck-in-new-bundle-1000046073


    DMKano said:

    Forgrimm said:

    Hmmm, no catch? I'm suspicious.



    Its not a good product.

    I have it + steam controller - how often do I use it?

    Never.

    It just has too many issues - via wifi it is nearly useless, wired it works well with a handful of titles.

    Most of the time , the input lag makes it unplayable, there are annoying no audio issues, or where it fails to connect for unexplained reasons when it worked previously.

    Its buggy to the point where its simply too frustrating to use.

    The other 3 people I know have had the exact same issues - none are using steam link anymore.

    Its sadly a waste of $9 (1+ 8 for shipping)
    Octagon7711

    Brenics ~ Just to point out I do believe Chris Roberts is going down as the man who cheated backers and took down crowdfunding for gaming.





  • DragnelusDragnelus Member EpicPosts: 3,264
    Its 5 euro now!! I think im gonna get it, found a link how you can install kodi on it. So now I dont need to use the laptop anymore upstiars on the tv and just use the small steam link (6)

    https://github.com/garbear/kodi-steamlink/releases
    Ridelynn

  • timtracktimtrack Member UncommonPosts: 541
    Been using it + the Stream Controller for 65 hours (so far) of Witcher 3, and girlfriend plays Lego Star Wars with it. Works perfectly. We have it connected to the Wi-Fi and the picture quality is close to perfect. During those 65 hours + 10 star wars it has hung up twices so i had to reboot it, and there has been rare occasional mini-freezes (due to wifi connection i guess), but that's it for negatives. Well worth it and the positives outweighs by far.

    But as others say - i would not play a competitive multiplayer FPS on it. Third person and 2D games should work fine tho. I use for casual gaming in bed and for that it's perfect.

    So if casual, cozy bed/sofa-gaming is what you want from it, i would highly recommend it.
  • DragnelusDragnelus Member EpicPosts: 3,264
    timtrack said:
    Been using it + the Stream Controller for 65 hours (so far) of Witcher 3, and girlfriend plays Lego Star Wars with it. Works perfectly. We have it connected to the Wi-Fi and the picture quality is close to perfect. During those 65 hours + 10 star wars it has hung up twices so i had to reboot it, and there has been rare occasional mini-freezes (due to wifi connection i guess), but that's it for negatives. Well worth it and the positives outweighs by far.

    But as others say - i would not play a competitive multiplayer FPS on it. Third person and 2D games should work fine tho. I use for casual gaming in bed and for that it's perfect.

    So if casual, cozy bed/sofa-gaming is what you want from it, i would highly recommend it.
    Yeh, when I get it im gonna connect it with the DS4, also bought the witcher 3 goty edition from steam. Soo im good to go! Also need to finish tomb raider and darksiders.

  • SignexSignex Member UncommonPosts: 293
    Input lag is just too much even wired, i can't get used to it so i got rid of it. Now have a 20m long HDMI cable connected to my 4K TV and can enjoy games with zero inputlag and feels exactly as playing on my monitor.
  • CalaruilCalaruil Member UncommonPosts: 141
    kernom said:
    If you can get it properly connected to your network using an ethernet cable the quality is great. Don't expect it to function properly over wi-fi.
    I have mine over WiFi running absolutely fine.

    Saying that, it' a gadget that I barely use any more...
    Torval
  • DragnelusDragnelus Member EpicPosts: 3,264
    Wired it works perfect. Also got kodi native on it! 
    Torval

Sign In or Register to comment.