Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dark Age of Camelot is getting a free-to-play mode called 'Endless Conquest'

SolicfireSolicfire Member UncommonPosts: 484
edited December 2017 in Dark Age of Camelot

The fantasy MMO Dark Age of Camelot has been around since 2001, even through the demise of original developer Mythic Entertainment in 2014. Last week, producer John Thornill of Broadsword Online Games, which took over the game prior to Mythic's closure, announced big plans for 2018, which will include the rollout of a new free-to-play option called Endless Conquest. 

"The Endless Conquest will be a new account type that allows players to enjoy Dark Age of Camelot through level 50 (and beyond) for free, without a paid subscription, forever," Thornhill explained. "Endless Conquest players will be able to level all the way to 50 on a limited selection of classes, participate fully in RvR [Realm vs Realm], and earn Master Levels, Champion Levels, and Realm Rank—to a point." 

That "point," detailed in the FAQ, would be restrictions on character slots, classes, home ownership, tradeskills, XP and coin gain rates, and other aspects of the full game, some details of which are still being nailed down. But the core elements of DAoC, including access to all expansions up to and including Labyrinth of the Minotaur (which, for the record, came out in 2006) are all there. Plus it's free, which is always a positive. 

Endless Conquest is currently limited to new accounts, although the developers are giving thought to enabling owners of lapsed accounts to transfer over. 

The new mode also opens the door to an "alternative ruleset server," although that's still a long way down the road. "As things stand now, there are two major obstacles preventing the launch of one in the near term (as in this next year)," Thornhill wrote. "The first is that everyone seems to have a different view of what the perfect alternative server ruleset would include. We knew this going in, and feel confident we can deliver a ruleset that would be both highly engaging and appealing to a wide swath of former and new players alike."

"That being said—as we have previously stated, we would never create an alternative ruleset server unless we were confident in the Ywain server’s population and health. This is the second and much more challenging obstacle. The Endless Conquest is going to be a huge step in overcoming it." 

Dark Age of Camelot: Endless Conquest is currently expected to go live in the fall of 2018.

DARK AGE OF CAMELOT DISCORD SERVER: https://discord.gg/e2t9ZN

Comments

• MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    I'd love to play DAoC again, but the items targeted as restrictions for F2P players are typically the types of things that appear in cash shops in other games.  Character slots, bank space, certain classes, housing options, and XP rate bonuses are pretty much standard stock in almost every store I've seen.  I think I'll take a wait-and-see approach to see where this is going, as much as I'd love to give this another try.  Chances are, though, the hype train will be boarding soon.

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

• Viper482Viper482 Member LegendaryPosts: 4,056
    No classic Emain server, no Daoc. 
    Make MMORPG's Great Again!
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435
    Viper482 said:
    There's already one of those currently in play, they need something a bit diifferent I think.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435
    needs graphical face lift more then anything else. 
    Along with a reworked UI.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• SolicfireSolicfire Member UncommonPosts: 484
    Viper482 said:
    They are looking into bringing in a new server but it's based on the population. If the Ywain servers don't improve in population there isn't a point for them to bring out an alternative rule set server. I understand players want this now but in order for that to happen the Ywain servers needs to have a rapped population increase and it seems Broadsword solution is to make free accounts but have account restrictions. 

Not everything Broadsword has done is perfect but at the end of the day they've kept this game going. If it wasn't for them this game would of gone ages ago with Mythic. 

I would try the game out on a 14 day trial and see what you think of the new changes. 
  • AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    needs graphical face lift more then anything else. 
    They are always trying to improve the Graphics but since this is such an old game it's very hard to bring it up to today standards of online gaming. 
  • BerenthetiredBerenthetired Member CommonPosts: 2
    Solicfire,  Merlin Server? 
  • HarikenHariken Member EpicPosts: 2,680
    LOL this game is so old. I remember playing it when it came out with friends and we had a good time. But again its so old and some of the game play systems will not go over well with today's spoiled mmo players. And they are going to have f2p restrictions too. This is going to fail badly unless it comes with a huge modern over haul.
    edited January 2018
    Solicfire,  Merlin Server? 

Yes that's correct bud sorry don't come on here much hehe.