Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why can't you make plays in Madden Football

CryomatrixCryomatrix Member EpicPosts: 3,223
Back in 1995 and 1998, I played this computer game called Front Page Sports. It was a fun game for its time where you could make your own plays. 

How come we don't see that in NFL Madden 20 years later? 

My idea is that your own plays can only be used in single player and not online. If it was for online, people would exploit it like crazy. But in single player, you can make your whole team have 99 ratings for everything, why not just make you able to create your own plays. 

You could probably exploit the computer a bit but who cares if you can alter everything for a player rating anyway. Thoughts?

Cryomatrix
Catch me streaming at twitch.tv/cryomatrix
You can see my sci-fi/WW2 book recommendations. 
AlBQuirky

Comments

• Viper482Viper482 Member LegendaryPosts: 4,064
    edited December 2017
    Because EA and the NFL made a deal which monopolized the genre of NFL football on the PC and consoles, which eliminated ALL competition. EA then went and put out the same game with new rosters every year and called it new, same thing with today because they could. Finally...they completely put the nail in the coffin for NFL Football on the PC when they stopped putting out a PC version after 2008. No one else is allowed to put one out on PC despite the fact EA has no PC version. Why have awesome features and new developments when you don't have to? Just keep putting out the same old shit every year and call it new. 

In short...EA is why we can't have nice things in a PC football game.

Fuck EA. 

AlBQuirkydragonlee66
    Make MMORPG's Great Again!
  • DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Viper482 said:
    Because EA and the NFL made a deal which monopolized the genre of NFL football on the PC and consoles, which eliminated ALL competition. EA then went and put out the same game with new rosters every year and called it new, same thing with today because they could. Finally...they completely put the nail in the coffin for NFL Football on the PC when they stopped putting out a PC version after 2008. No one else is allowed to put one out on PC despite the fact EA has no PC version. Why have awesome features and new developments when you don't have to? Just keep putting out the same old shit every year and call it new. 

Fuck EA. 

Wouldn't that be more on the NFL as they own their license and decided who gets it? They didn't have to make a deal with EA like that. They chose to, same with Disney and Star Wars... 
    AlBQuirky

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• WellspringWellspring Member EpicPosts: 1,464
    I haven't played Madden in like 10 years, but didn't you used to be able to design your own plays? 
    --------------------------------------------
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    edited December 2017
    Viper pretty much summed it up,,lack of competition,not many could likely afford the licensing but EA could.I am certain it would be a bidding war and trust in who could actually pay up,so not many can compete with EA.

On the technical side,the plays would have to involve similar scripted animations or they would look all wrong.Besides the AI is reactive and wouldn't bee too complicated,so i doubt the AI coudl react if it didn't understand what was happening.
    They could simplify it by just having the AI of the def react to the ball and not plays but then it would dumb down the entire idea of having plays and an AI that reacts to such.
    AlBQuirky

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432
    I haven't played Madden in like 10 years, but didn't you used to be able to design your own plays? 
    I'm trying to recall, but I don't think you ever could in Madden?

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,351
    Distopia said:
    Viper482 said:

Fuck EA. 

Wouldn't that be more on the NFL as they own their license and decided who gets it? They didn't have to make a deal with EA like that. They chose to, same with Disney and Star Wars... 
    The NFL wants to make money, not video games.  Selling an exclusive license to EA is how they make money.  Because there's no one better than EA at using an IP to convince people to pay too much money for bad games--and then do it again for basically the same game next year.
  • DrunkWolfDrunkWolf Member RarePosts: 1,701
    Viper482 said:

Fuck EA. 

They have started doing the same thing with battlefield. same game new skin just like call of duty.
  • WellspringWellspring Member EpicPosts: 1,464
    AlBQuirky said:
    I'm trying to recall, but I don't think you ever could in Madden?
    Maybe I'm thinking of the NCAA football game. I know you could in one of them. 
    --------------------------------------------
  • baikaishui9527baikaishui9527 Newbie CommonPosts: 4
    Mmoball.com Madden NFL Mobile Coins - Rush to buy Cheapest Madden NFL Mobile right now.