Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

MikeB's Most Anticipated Games of 2018 - Michael Bitton - MMORPG.com

Comments

• Jonnyp2Jonnyp2 Member UncommonPosts: 243

EA in charge of a loot grind game does not a fair game make. They will see the opportunity, Anthem will have stupid low drop rates on some of the best guns or they will make you craft them. How to craft them? Well you could grind the parts that can take hours upon hours or you can wait for it to drop which will take even longer, OR you could just buy their loot boxes and have a higher chance at getting it the more you spend. Anthem looked great, then the EA logo was put on it and its hard to see a difference to it and a mobile game. Going to Pass like I do with every EA game now.

EA is not that incompetent. With all the recent controversy over the loot boxes and Bioware's recent slump, Anthem will be dead almost instantly if they try to aggressively push RMTS. Can you imagine the outrage if Bioware's next game existed in the way you described? Microtransactions will surely exist, but they will be very tame.. at least initially.
  • MyrdynnMyrdynn Member RarePosts: 2,479
    sad day that no MMO's make an MMORPG list
    KyleranXarkoPsym0n
  • JeffSpicoliJeffSpicoli Member EpicPosts: 2,849
    Battle For azeroth & classic wow
    Monster Hunter world PC Release
    that anthem game looks amazing although i despise EA & Bioware has been a mess lately with the debacle of their last mass effect game not to mention the people they had developing it.
    • Aloha Mr Hand ! 

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Not really feeling it from any of those 5 games, the games i am playing now are more interesting and i am not so jaded that i would pick up a game just because its 'new' and none of those games strike me as being worth more than a cursory glance, which on current track record i am expecting them to be noteworthy more for their various issues than for their popularity, maybe they will surprise me by being decent games, but at this point i am most certainly not going to get my hopes up too much, though i am keeping my fingers crossed that Blizzards version of  Vanilla WoW will not be a disappointment. :/
  • francis_baudfrancis_baud Member RarePosts: 479
    Crowfall, Crowfall, Crowfall.
    Yesss

• AsheramAsheram Member EpicPosts: 5,071
    edited December 2017
    1. Mount & Blade Bannerlord
    2. Red Dead Redemption 2
    Tokkentruewarlord
  • TokkenTokken Member EpicPosts: 3,551
    Anthem and Ashes of Creation for ME!!
    [Deleted User]

Proud MMORPG.com member since March 2004!  Make PvE GREAT Again!

• ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534
    edited December 2017
    not so sure what to think about anthem anymore, EA kinda blew it :)

anyone actually thinking there will NOT be any kind of p2w?

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

• WarlyxWarlyx Member EpicPosts: 3,363

Shaigh said:

5. Bard's tale IV
    4. Ori and the will of the wisps
    3. Monster Hunter: World
    2. Metro: Exodus
    1. Pillars of eternity 2: Deadfire

damn forgot about ori :3 cant wait!

KH3 i guess :/
  • AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    Asheram said:
    1. Mount & Blade Bannerlord
    2. Red Dead Redemption 2
    RDR2 = Rockstar
    GTAV Online = Rockstar
    I'm sorry my friend but....I'm sure the base game will be good! and will probably have an online....poor poor GTAV online...
    Asheram
  • TokkenTokken Member EpicPosts: 3,551
    Red Dead Redemption 2 and Pillars of eternity 2: Deadfire
    [Deleted User]Asheram

Proud MMORPG.com member since March 2004!  Make PvE GREAT Again!

• AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,836
    My top 5:

Fire Emblem Switch - my favorite series returns to consoles for the first time in over a decade

Dynasty Warriors 9 - my guilty pleasure goes open world

Metro Exodus - the Metro series is like Fallout, if Fallout was good

Crowfall - it's been a while since I've gotten into a PvP MMO, and I miss that feeling. Here's hoping this one is good.

Monster Hunter Worlds

Questionable Mention:

Anthem - if the business model is not egregious, then this one could be something special. I sincerely doubt that will be the case. This is either going to be a miracle or an expected disaster. Either way, I'm not pre-ordering this one.

MrMelGibson
  • SamhaelSamhael Member RarePosts: 1,498
    I actually watched the whole Spider-man clip -- that game looks pretty cool. I mean, I'm not going to buy a console but if they port it to PC and do a decent job, I'd pay full price for the game. (not a fan of that particular version of the suit but everything else seemed pretty cool)
  • FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,967
    Crowfall
    Monster Hunter World
    Borderlands 3 (Because I believe they will announce and release in 2018)
    Dragon Ball Fighter Z (Arc System Works NAILED IT!)

I wanted to say Anthem, but lets be real here it will be a stripped down unfinished mess that will have some technically not microtransactions (because legal team said so) and littered with Best Buy/Walmart/Gamestop only exclusives.
    "As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • LackingMMOLackingMMO Member RarePosts: 664
    Pantheon for sure!!!
    Anthem I loved the look of but after SW ehh I hope it turns out well.
    Ashes of Creation and CoE I really hope turn into something as well.
    Crowfall I'm hoping doesn't turn into P2W making me nervous with the buying castles thing.
    Is this the year SC will arrive?
    What new deleopments will come with the aliens in Elite?
    I could go on more but ill close with FF7 Remake!!!!!!

I'm hoping this is the year us MMO fanatics can rejoice in. Heres to no more delays/cancelations/turn to p2w garbage, bring on some good games!
  • Soki123Soki123 Member RarePosts: 2,558
    edited December 2017
    Sea of Thieves, played it and it is amazing. Crowfall, hopefully is good, CU if it comes out this year, and WoW xpac duh will be good. Oh and yes Anthem will be good.  Shit Crackdown 3 of course.
  • TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,164
    Steam is the easiest place for people to make crappy troll reviews. If you look at the reviews for Civilization VI you would think it was the worst Civ game ever created based on some of the trollhards and millennial (We want it all now!) crowd, I thought it was great for what I paid for it.
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• pantaropantaro Member RarePosts: 515
    Tiller said:
    Steam is the easiest place for people to make crappy troll reviews. If you look at the reviews for Civilization VI you would think it was the worst Civ game ever created based on some of the trollhards and millennial (We want it all now!) crowd, I thought it was great for what I paid for it.
    yea when people mention steam reviews im always like "people actually take those things serious lol"
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    edited December 2017
    I saw a game i think was yesterday being bantered here on the threads that i wouldn't play for free and was given a 4 1/2 stars out of 5 on steam.I mentioned before that Steam actually took on a game that was called "to shower with your dad" or something like that,so they have ZERO integrity,much like this site,take on ANY game if it means money and business relationships.

I really don't need to see any review or rating anyhow,i know fully well what i am looking at in these games,i can judge for myself and i would say that 90% of the games on Steam are total trash 0-1/10 but somewhere out there will get at least 3 star ratings maybe 4.
    beebop500

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• DvoraDvora Member UncommonPosts: 499
    Torval said:
    Thane said:
    not so sure what to think about anthem anymore, EA kinda blew it :)

anyone actually thinking there will NOT be any kind of p2w?
    People don’t mind the P2W in Warframe why would they mind it in Anthem?

Gamers are upset at the idea of being milked and having to pay more. People say they care about pay to win, but most don’t. 
    SILENCE PLEB!  We are the majority, do not go around spreading rumors to the contrary or EA and others will think it's ok to continue milking every penny they can.  Do not be part of the problem.
    [Deleted User]MrMelGibsonmeonthissite
  • seshsesseshses Member UncommonPosts: 67
    Am ganna play Gloomhaven and 7th Continent all year , yup am serious
  • DavodtheTuttDavodtheTutt Member UncommonPosts: 415
    I thought the Spider Man looked great, but as I watched I realized that, besides the PS4 lock, the actual play would make it just another Pavlov's Buttons sort of thing. You know, the game is going to do such-an-such no matter what, so you push these buttons exactly the way it tells you. Oh well. Wish Marvel would make an open-world MMORPG where you create your own hero, maybe sometimes team up with one or another of theirs, and fight to keep your neighborhood clean -- because the bad guys you defeat won't come back in a few minutes.

The games I'm looking for are ones that (besides the 3 or so hopeful "spiritual successors" of City of Heroes) are really different and innovative, with lots of creativity and exploration. Dual Universe is one, and another is Worlds Adrift. Don't know when they'll come out as "finished" games, though. And I'm always keeping my eyes open for something special coming out of the blue.
  • nolic1nolic1 Member UncommonPosts: 716
    No games this coming year sound good to me not even Crowfall or Ashes of Creation which I was in a good place with till they released more info on them. Crowfall is a MOBAMMO nothing more. and Ashes of Creation sounds cool but is a sandpark mmo nothing there as well. Cyberpunk wound be cool if we got some damn info on it but I have been waiting on news of that for so long when it comes out the game will be 5 years behind the times. So I will stick with ESO till something better comes along.

Sherman's Gaming

Youtube Content creator for The Elder Scrolls Online

Channel:http://https//www.youtube.com/channel/UCrgYNgpFTRAl4XWz31o2emw

• MagikarpsGhostMagikarpsGhost Member RarePosts: 689

Albatroes said:

After EA's 2017, you're still looking forward to Anthem? They've already confirmed that every future title will have micro-transactions influencing gameplay so that it "provides a balanced experience for both the casual and hardcore player." Not to mention their ideology on the single player title market. 2018 doesn't look good for EA imo. Especially when you have Activision doing the exact same thing as them with Destiny 2 yet only registers as blips on the radar compared to EA and their drama with at least 3 titles in 2017 alone.

Sit and wait is all we can do. Maybe bf2 will teach them what NOT to do in terms of micro.
    MikeB

free 7 day sub and unlocks for swtor new accounts and 90+ day inactive subs click here to get it!

Click here for trove referral, bonuses to both!

• meonthissitemeonthissite Member UncommonPosts: 917

Albatroes said:

After EA's 2017, you're still looking forward to Anthem? They've already confirmed that every future title will have micro-transactions influencing gameplay so that it "provides a balanced experience for both the casual and hardcore player." Not to mention their ideology on the single player title market. 2018 doesn't look good for EA imo. Especially when you have Activision doing the exact same thing as them with Destiny 2 yet only registers as blips on the radar compared to EA and their drama with at least 3 titles in 2017 alone.

After doing some digging from his statement I have to agree. It seems that the loot box system as well as the continued use of RNG in place of the token system for gear progression, is going to be the death of MMORPGs out there because it implicitly bypasses positive gameplay in favor of the bottom line. It's not at all balanced and this is coming from the most casual player you will ever find!