Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What's This About CCP Making a 'New & Highly Ambitious MMORPG'? - MMORPG.com News

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited December 2017 in News & Features Discussion

imageWhat's This About CCP Making a 'New & Highly Ambitious MMORPG'? - MMORPG.com News

The CCP website has been updated with a job listing for a lead designer for a "new and highly ambitious MMORPG" that will be part of a team in the company's London studio. "We are looking to grow a relatively small, tight-knit team, capable of delivering big ideas through experience, smart process, and world class tools".

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    I'm still waiting for this:

Is hope alive again?
    francis_baud3domTsiyaTheOctagon

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829
    Amathe said:

Is hope alive again?
    If it comes, it'll be from another company. CCP sold the rights AND all the already developed WoD art assets early 2017.

So no, this isn't WoD related. This is something else.
    SovrathPhryRolanStorm

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

• Tom272Tom272 Member UncommonPosts: 30
    Now we know why the layofs were done, to pay the lead designers paycheck :(
    Konfess
  • ElsaboltsElsabolts Member RarePosts: 3,476
    May be that Eve is heading to console.
    Octagon7711MrMelGibsonKonfess
    " Life Liberty and the Pursuit of Those Who  Would Threaten It "
                                            MAGA
  • EponyxDamorEponyxDamor Member RarePosts: 749
    edited December 2017
    I'm cautiously optimistic about this after CCP's endeavors with Dust514 and WoD. However, as a huge fan of EVE Online, I can't help but to be excited for what they develop next.
  • Solar_ProphetSolar_Prophet Member EpicPosts: 1,960
    It'll just be another project they work on for 5-6 years, realize once again that they're really not that good at anything other than EVE Online (and even that's debatable), and cancel it after wasting a boatload of money.
    AlomarCorileannaRoinKyleranMawneeAsm0deus3domRolanStormLackingMMODrakolusand 6 others.

AN' DERE AIN'T NO SUCH FING AS ENUFF DAKKA, YA GROT! Enuff'z more than ya got an' less than too much an' there ain't no such fing as too much dakka. Say dere is, and me Squiggoff'z eatin' tonight!

We are born of the blood. Made men by the blood. Undone by the blood. Our eyes are yet to open. FEAR THE OLD BLOOD. 

#IStandWithVic

• MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    When will the Kickstarter campaign be announced?
    EponyxDamorCorileannaRhygarthLackingMMOAlBQuirkyMrMelGibsonkrulerqomaBLNXJeroKaneand 1 other.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    edited December 2017
    They completely blew it and lost tons of money with their DUST adventures so my guess is nothing big at all.
    Seems anyone can attach the title mmorpg now a days so i wouldn't take much notice of that.

My guess figuring a low budget game,yet another take on a PUBG/H1Z1/survival using ARPG type combat and calling it a mmorpg.

After losing all that money last time with WOD as well a fail,i doubt they will ever again risk much money.A developer that thinks putting check marks in a skill tree box is a good idea,no thanks to anything they make.
    kruler

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    Consoles would be the logical move. But CCP aren't known for their logic.
    GdemamiPhry

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

CCP tried consoles already. Unfortunately, they tried to capture their PC audience on consoles by utilizing the existing EVE Onling IP. It was a really stupid decision in the context of DUST514.

However, I do see where you're coming from, though, from the potential customer base being larger.
    Octagon7711
  • AlomarAlomar Member RarePosts: 1,299
    It's like they've copied Blizzard's business model with WoW, but do it so horribly wrong. Using Eve's success and revenue to develop other games, but failing in both Eve development and that of other titles. After the last round of layoffs, they're probably one more flop away from folding or selling. As a longtime Eve player (2005), I can tell you the trust and confidence from the community is at an all-time low.
    EponyxDamorGdemamicheeseheadsJeroKane
    Haxus Council Member
    21  year MMO veteran 
    PvP Raid Leader 
    Lover of The Witcher & CD Projekt Red
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

Amathe said:

Is hope alive again?

We should all realize that a game like that would be heavily micro transactions,selling cool housing items and clothing.Then everyone likes pets for their house so tons of pets for sale.I have a VERY good inclination to believe CCP sees a big money ticket and not doing it for love of game design.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829
    edited December 2017
    Wizardry said:

Amathe said:

Is hope alive again?

We should all realize that a game like that would be heavily micro transactions,selling cool housing items and clothing.Then everyone likes pets for their house so tons of pets for sale.I have a VERY good inclination to believe CCP sees a big money ticket and not doing it for love of game design.

Paradox owns the license now.
    https://www.geek.com/games/white-wolfs-monsters-are-coming-back-to-video-games-in-a-big-way-1721533/

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2017/02/10/white-wolf-world-of-darkness-rebirth/

RPS: Because it’s been so long since we’ve had a White Wolf game, could you talk about why it’s taken so long? And what does going back to digital games let you do, in a storytelling sense, that you can’t do on tabletop?

Ericsson: The first question is pretty easy. It’s because at CCP, I was one of the content designers on the MMO World of Darkness, and the strategy we took there was to put all our eggs in one basket. We wanted to make the most awesome, content-heavy MMO, and then content-heavy MMOs went BAM, into the sink. We saw Knights of the Old Republic fail and Warhammer Online crash.

We were in the middle of MMO death, so we tried to rescope, and we tried to do that by doing something in CCP’s style, which is emergent player-based stories. But we were a bit too late, and we maybe tried to bite off a bit more than we could chew.

The answer to that question makes me Q.Q

RolanStorm

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

• CorileannaCorileanna Member UncommonPosts: 94
    But.. The horror game they were suppose to create, World of Darkness i believe.. I want that otherwise.. meh. Eve is nice but not good enough really. It has developed too far from where i would want it be. Less PvP intense, more newbie friendly would be preferable.
    edited December 2017
    But.. The horror game they were suppose to create, World of Darkness i believe.. I want that otherwise.. meh. Eve is nice but not good enough really. It has developed too far from where i would want it be. Less PvP intense, more newbie friendly would be preferable.
    I know CCP was trying (constantly trying, actually) to make EVE Online more newbie friendly, unfortunately, the game/mechanics never lent itself to being particularly "friendly" to anybody. Even when involving the community in the New Player Experience, it didn't improve much. The PvP aspect of the game did tie in to this, however, it wasn't the biggest reason EVE Online was not "friendly" to new players.

I do think that with a new game they have a better chance at delivering something friendly to new players.
  • BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565
    I think they were making a new MMO shooter. Perhaps this?
    EponyxDamorCanibalolerMrMelGibson

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
    Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

edited December 2017
    I think they were making a new MMO shooter. Perhaps this?
    I would be super excited for something Tabula Rasa-esque, just nothing like Destiny, please. I was a HUGE fan of Tabula Rasa, even before the initial revamp that took it from fantasy/sci-fi to strictly sci-fi. I wish I could find old images of the pre-revamp Tabula Rasa; it was so unique, IMO!

(EDIT: Found an old image of a space unicorn. This was back when it was a weird Sci-Fi/Fantasy mash up with space bards and bullet-shooting harps/lutes. Waaay before the final iteration of TR that we actually received.)
  • TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,163
    Probably a mobile MMO xD
    Phry
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• xxBoneZxxxxBoneZxx Member UncommonPosts: 124
    edited December 2017

What's This About CCP Making a 'New & Highly Ambitious MMORPG'?

I remember them working on a "new and highly-ambitious MMORPG" (the vampire one), but it got cancelled. I was really looking forward to that one. Now, I don't care about anything CCP is "working on" until it's released.

They really have no business working on ANY new MMORPG after cancelling the last one. They should stick with what they already have, EVE, and leave the rest to other developer studios.
    GdemamiAsm0deus
  • CanibalolerCanibaloler Member UncommonPosts: 136
    I hope it is a good 3rd person shooter MMO.
    EponyxDamor
  • ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534

lol @ console mmos being anywhere close to logic :)
    thx for the laugh dude

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498

xxBoneZxx said:

What's This About CCP Making a 'New & Highly Ambitious MMORPG'?

I remember them working on a "new and highly-ambitious MMORPG" (the vampire one), but it got cancelled. I was really looking forward to that one. Now, I don't care about anything CCP is "working on" until it's released.

They really have no business working on ANY new MMORPG after cancelling the last one. They should stick with what they already have, EVE, and leave the rest to other developer studios.

They have pretty much ash canned all development efforts outside of EVE. As it slowly winds down, they need to get something new going that has a possibility of a quicker turnaround than a traditional MMORPG.

I don't see them creating anything which would compete against their flagship title, but they've not exactly shown the greatest ability at gauging market trends correctly. (In all fairness, neither did I or many others for that matter)

Hard to say what they have in mind, but it has to work if they are to remain viable as a long term development studio.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    They'll be taking over Pathfinder Online for a relaunch. Heard it here first guys  ;)

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    KyleranJamesGoblinConstantineMerus
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Tiller said:
    Probably a mobile MMO xD
    Doubt they would ever make something for mobile, given what happened with Dust 514, its likely that future games will be primarily PC based, though its possible they will also have a console version as they did with Eve Valkyrie.
    [Deleted User]
  • TealaTeala Member RarePosts: 7,627
    It won't be a traditional MMORPG, more than likely it'll be a hybrid lounge MMO shooter.  You'll play a character confined to a box, in a lounge, and you subconsciously control a robot that runs around a city shooting up other robots. 
    [Deleted User]