Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

MikeB's Most Anticipated Games of 2018 - Michael Bitton - MMORPG.com

MikeBMikeB Community ManagerAdministrator RarePosts: 6,555
edited December 2017 in News & Features Discussion

imageMikeB's Most Anticipated Games of 2018 - Michael Bitton - MMORPG.com

It’s that time of the year again. 2017 was a crazy year for gaming, but 2018 is shaping up to be pretty awesome as well. This week, I’m sharing my list of my most anticipated games of 2018. Share yours with us in the comments!

Read the full story here

Comments

• IkedaIkeda Member RarePosts: 2,751
    Skyrim VR... not on PS lockdown.

Of course, then it'll not be on Oculus because.. well OR sued them blah blah. So of course, owners of the system get penalized. Which is why my VR sits here collecting dust.
  • AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    edited December 2017
    After EA's 2017, you're still looking forward to Anthem? They've already confirmed that every future title will have micro-transactions influencing gameplay so that it "provides a balanced experience for both the casual and hardcore player." Not to mention their ideology on the single player title market. 2018 doesn't look good for EA imo. Especially when you have Activision doing the exact same thing as them with Destiny 2 yet only registers as blips on the radar compared to EA and their drama with at least 3 titles in 2017 alone.
    Joseph_KerrpantaroRobsolfHrimnirGolelornCryolitycalbwwianakievmeonthissitesunflame
  • Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829
    Bless Online. Somewhat anyway.
    Everything on that list sounds okay too. I've lost that gamer hype over the years I think =/
    Last game I was really excited for was BDO, but that was only after playing the beta. Xcom 2 was the one I'd been eagerly awaiting since its announcement, and after that... pretty much nothing that I can remember.
    Nevereverland

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

• Viper482Viper482 Member LegendaryPosts: 4,056
    Change the name of the site already...
    SBFordEponyxDamorJoseph_KerrBlacklabelcaliOyjordTekaelonKylerantruewarlordCryolitycalConstantineMerusand 5 others.
    Make MMORPG's Great Again!
  • SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
    Not interested at all in Anthem after EA killed off Mass Effect for the time being, not to mention all the kerfuffle around Star Wars Battlefront 2.
    Azaron_NightbladeJoseph_KerrRedemppantaroMadFrenchiejgDuffayZandogRobsolfAlomarAlbatroesand 10 others.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565
    Crowfall, Crowfall, Crowfall.
    EponyxDamorSBFordRedemppantaro[Deleted User]Alomarfrancis_baudtruewarlordSamhaelFlyByKnightand 5 others.

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
    Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

• EponyxDamorEponyxDamor Member RarePosts: 749
    edited December 2017
    SBFord said:
    Not interested at all in Anthem after EA killed off Mass Effect for the time being, not to mention all the kerfuffle around Star Wars Battlefront 2.
    Perhaps I'm just too optimistic when it comes to consumer driven markets, but I really hope EA reconsiders their microtransaction models when it comes to Anthem. Anthem is one of the games I am most interested in going into 2018, alongside Monster Hunter Online; however, I will simply not purchase a game with lootbox driven progression that allows you to purchase said boxes no matter how interested I am in the game (looking at you, SWBF2).

Good list, though! I haven't picked up Civilization in a long while; perhaps I'll give it a go once Rise & Fall comes out!
    tofuknightMaxBacon
  • WarlyxWarlyx Member EpicPosts: 3,361
    the downgrade for anthem is going to be painfull :(
  • darkrain21darkrain21 Member UncommonPosts: 383
    EA in charge of a loot grind game does not a fair game make. They will see the opportunity, Anthem will have stupid low drop rates on some of the best guns or they will make you craft them. How to craft them? Well you could grind the parts that can take hours upon hours or you can wait for it to drop which will take even longer, OR you could just buy their loot boxes and have a higher chance at getting it the more you spend. Anthem looked great, then the EA logo was put on it and its hard to see a difference to it and a mobile game. Going to Pass like I do with every EA game now.
    Psym0n
  • Joseph_KerrJoseph_Kerr Member RarePosts: 1,113
    Sea of Thieves and the new Civ expansion, yes! Definitely not excited for anything EA because i'm not a fan of RNG loot box progression systems in competitive games.
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    No game with any sort of cash shop or selling in game content in micro transactions.

Civ seems good but i'll wait for the new Age of Empires.
    Otherwise i would consider battlefield but since EA attached,not a chance.

Likely my next stop is the MTG Arena supposed open or closed beta in January only they sort of pissed me off inviting ONLY pros to the first beta.For the record ,the live version of the game is tilted badly with cheating in the shuffling,most know of it so i wouldn't include any of them in an online version.The fact they still allow players to touch their own cards is a joke and imo an embarrassment to the game that i quit playing about 5 years ago.

SirAgravaine

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• Solar_ProphetSolar_Prophet Member EpicPosts: 1,960
    Monster Hunter World, God of War, Shadow of the Colossus, and the game From Software teased us with a few weeks back.

EA can go shove a holly branch somewhere unpleasant for all I care. Screw them and the people who support their shitty behavior by buying and promoting their crap.
    donpadrexWraithone

AN' DERE AIN'T NO SUCH FING AS ENUFF DAKKA, YA GROT! Enuff'z more than ya got an' less than too much an' there ain't no such fing as too much dakka. Say dere is, and me Squiggoff'z eatin' tonight!

We are born of the blood. Made men by the blood. Undone by the blood. Our eyes are yet to open. FEAR THE OLD BLOOD. 

#IStandWithVic

• DragnelusDragnelus Member EpicPosts: 3,503
    edited December 2017
    Im looking for monster hunter. But I just cant find release date for pc, only 2018. None of those games got my interest :blush:

• Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,766
    Looking forward the most to Monster Hunter here. I can't wait for that game. It is super fun.
    [Deleted User]
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    Monster Hunter World, Far Cry 5, Red Dead Redemption 2, Vampyr, will be watching these.
    [Deleted User]

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• DeadSpockDeadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 403
    Anthem looks awesome let’s see if it will be as great as the video.
    [Deleted User]
  • ShaighShaigh Member EpicPosts: 2,142
    5. Bard's tale IV
    4. Ori and the will of the wisps
    3. Monster Hunter: World
    2. Metro: Exodus
    1. Pillars of eternity 2: Deadfire
    [Deleted User]Golelorn
    Iselin: And the next person who says "but it's a business, they need to make money" can just go fuck yourself.
  • TalulaRoseTalulaRose Member RarePosts: 1,247
    edited December 2017
    As far as Civ games go. Still playng Civ5. Civ games need the first expansion to have a solid base to expand on. Till then its wait and see. Been playing since the early 90s. And I don't buy into the game hype anymore. Companies are too far to the lying I mean marketing side of things now. I just wait for launch and then wait for them to go on sale.
  • immoralthangimmoralthang Member RarePosts: 300
    If Anthem fails, Bioware is finished. I’m not optimistic about the game at all just based on EA’s shady practices and lack of integrity this year. Not to mention Andromeda.
    Nilden
  • nameusernameuser Member UncommonPosts: 43
    I have a feeling Anthem will flop like Destiny 1 & 2.
    SirAgravaine
  • ZandogZandog Member UncommonPosts: 97
    "I’m not too confident the game will make it this year, but if it does, and EA/BioWare manages to get its act together, it could be a massive hit." Heh, Mike B. said "EA" and "get its act together" in the same sentence.
    EponyxDamor
    Every time Goonsquad/SA/DS post salt on Star Citizen, I spend more money on it. Every time a mentally disturbed former backer or Elite CMDR toxic emo comments, I spend more money on it. Every time they refuse to answer why they spend so much time arguing about a game they don't even like, I spend more money on it. Want to watch the world burn because you can't have your way? You got whats coming to you.
  • AlomarAlomar Member RarePosts: 1,299
    Definitely, looking forward to Crowfall and CU's betas, and perhaps Bless Online. I've written off all EA titles after years of disappointment culminating to nothing more than these p2w scandals of late.
    PaulChatterton
    Haxus Council Member
    21  year MMO veteran 
    PvP Raid Leader 
    Lover of The Witcher & CD Projekt Red
  • MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196
    edited December 2017
    A lot to look forward to in 2018. This is just some of mine.

Accent Infinite Realm
    The Last Of Us 2
    God Of War 4
    Crackdown 3
    State Of Decay 2
    Dragon Ball FighterZ Soul Calibur 6 Red Dead Redemption 2
  • lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041

Crowfall, Crowfall, Crowfall.

You are a wise man Bill, but it really won't launch next year.

Going with Dragon Quest XI myself. Dragon Quest X on Switch would do as well. Ohh, and Bayonetta 3, frigging awesome. Guess it won't be a PC year for me.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    [Deleted User]
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

• TheScavengerTheScavenger Member EpicPosts: 3,321
    edited December 2017
    As far as MMOs go...I'm pretty happy with the current MMOs.

I'm hoping GW2 gets another expansion. Path of fire wasn't as long lasting as HoT was...actually MUCH shorter for me. I mostly did the huge meta events in HoT and that was amazing, but guess it got hated on or something. But always gave a huge event to do with a huge group of people. I only liked mounts in PoF, but not nearly enough to make me stay.

Looking forward to the next ESO expansion, but dunno if they'll make one every year or not. I'm sure DLCs will be out for it. I'm playing ESO (alongside BDO) and its a lot of fun. Tons of stuff for a very long lasting game.

Looking forward to new BDO updates, dunno what next is gonna be "big" for it since I don't really keep up on the spoilers since mostly just like to be surprised as far as BDO goes. But it always has something new.

Not excited at all about next WoW expansion. The PvP never interested me in WoW, I thought it was always lame except way back in Classic when world pvp was actually fun without some dude riding off into the sunset. The next expansion sounds boring as hell compared to fighting the massive armies of Legion. This will be the 2nd expansion I skip playing WoW entirely (the first was MoP).

I'll play it though if they remove flying, cause then at least alliance vs horde would be as fun as it was in Classic. But that won't happen cause a minority group will rise up and threaten to destroy WoW and burn down the headquarters of blizzard and pillage their homes if they don't have flying. 

And...lets see...onto slightly more positive things...and not MMO related...

I have a ton of games on my steam wishlist. I bought a few games this winter sale, plus a gifted game to my friend...but I added way more games to my wishlist than I bought :P They are games I have at least some vague interest in (or I wouldn't have added them), but some games have been on my wishlist for years lol.

There isn't really any games I'm too interested in though, that are priced at what I can afford. I am on a very limited income, and california is too expensive. Anyway. Warhammer 2 is too expensive, asasssin's creed origins is too expensive, divinity 2 is too expensive. Those are the top 3 games I have interest in, and too expensive :( And even if warhammer 2 gets very old...rome 2 total war is super old and still super expensive. So I won't ever be able to afford warhammer 2 :(

Alomar

My Skyrim, Fallout 4, Starbound and WoW + other game mods at MODDB: 

https://www.moddb.com/mods/skyrim-anime-overhaul