Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

COE funding continues to grow

Comments

• WellspringWellspring Member EpicPosts: 1,464
    OrangeBoy said:
    https://chroniclesofelyria.com/forum/topic/23007/game-over-for-me

Guy makes great points, but nothing different than what's been discussed

Can we really listen to him though? I mean, he only has the wooden picture frame. For it to be "game over" for him, after investing $50 or whatever it is to only get to the base pledge tier, isn't saying too much. If it was "game over" for a King on the other hand, then his opinion would really mean something.... :naughty: (I jest)
    --------------------------------------------
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    A lot of games talk about advanced AI scripts but I'd have to see it to believe it.  All I've seen in other games is fishing while you're off line.  How these games will make such a breakthrough in AI scripting will be interesting.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• DakeruDakeru Member EpicPosts: 3,802
    OrangeBoy said:
    https://chroniclesofelyria.com/forum/topic/23007/game-over-for-me

Guy makes great points, but nothing different from than what's been discussed

I like the reality call on this one.

I remember debating the pay to win aspects of the game and was countered by:
    "But a king can be easily removed!"
    So I said that he will probably be well protected within fortified walls so assassination may not be so easy.

'Assassination? That's so narrow minded there will be a lot of mechanics in place to remove kings.'

Obviously the person (whoever was whiteknighting hard at the time) couldn't tell me what those mechanics would be because they don't exist (yet).

So the idea of never before seen mechanics was there making the game unique and awesome...

Around that time they released the first ingame vid which looked like a shabby Tomb Raider / Prince of Persia clone.

Talk about ideals colliding with reality.
    Harbinger of Fools
  • NildenNilden Member EpicPosts: 3,916
    Star Citizen is spending around 4 million a month. Just some perspective...

Oh and Shroud of the Avatar is at what 17 million?

"You CAN'T buy ships for RL money." - MaxBacon

"classification of games into MMOs is not by rational reasoning" - nariusseldon

Love Minecraft. And check out my Youtube channel OhCanadaGamer

Try a MUD today at http://www.mudconnect.com/ 

• StaalBurgherStaalBurgher Member UncommonPosts: 265
    edited December 2017
    When I originally read the concept of the game the 'OPC' feature seemed critical. It is a major drawback of multiplayer games that if you log in when their aren't many people on, it can feel dead.

The pace of funding continues to grow over the holidays! Whether you like their methods or not, the cash machine is chugging along nicely. Interesting discussion on another thread about what they said about actually needing £3m. How much do they actually need?

• CalaruilCalaruil Member UncommonPosts: 141
    When I originally read the concept of the game the 'OPC' feature seemed critical. It is a major drawback of multiplayer games that if you log in when their aren't many people on, it can feel dead.

The pace of funding continues to grow over the holidays! Whether you like their methods or not, the cash machine is chugging along nicely. Interesting discussion on another thread about what they said about actually needing £3m. How much do they actually need?

Question is, Is the 67k at the end due Christmas good will or something else?
  • Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,947
    Calaruil said:

Only the developers know what was actually purchased... but they recently launched a "sale" on their cash shop currency (EP) and enabled gifting it to other accounts. So people have posted about stocking up on the currency until they can buy things with it.  Also, their auction/vote via $10 tokens for King and other 6 other Royalty packages has been running and is coming to an end in a few days.  We know the low bid for one of the Royal (non-King) packages is currently $1,180 but it's a hidden vote/auction so far.  We only know the lowest number needed for the last package.  Since most are vying for King I imagine the average of the top 7 is far beyond $1,180.  It will be interesting to see if they announce the "winning" bids for each spot.

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• StaalBurgherStaalBurgher Member UncommonPosts: 265
    Calaruil said:

Possibly a gift season bump. We will see in another month.

Regardless, they are gathering decent funds.
    edited December 2017
    Calaruil said:

Indeed.

what amount was their original ks for?
    Calaruil said:
    Calaruil said:

Indeed.

From memory:

KS goal was $900k
    KS ended $1.2M
    Stated budget: 3 million for viable game and 4 million for polish with cushion
    Source for remaining cash was stated to be Publisher/Investor as KS was just supposed to be for Seed money to develop a product to pitch.

Feel free to correct if I'm wrong

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

Calaruil said:
    Calaruil said:

Indeed.

From memory:

KS goal was $900k
    KS ended $1.2M
    Stated budget: 3 million for viable game and 4 million for polish with cushion
    Source for remaining cash was stated to be Publisher/Investor as KS was just supposed to be for Seed money to develop a product to pitch.

Feel free to correct if I'm wrong
    Ok so they seem to have done well past their ks goal.
    I think it's a wait and see thing now. 
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435
    The longer it takes to launch, the more cash they'll need. 

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

Kyleran said:

Well that's obvious but theybsid past their ks goal so probably have a bit of leaway.

Again I think it's going to be a wait and see
  • RenoakuRenoaku Member EpicPosts: 3,157
    I still have to wait to see more about COE before I would back another game, with all the Drama that previously happened with the game I think it was something to do with founders items if I remember correctly, it sounds like another Albion Online incident waiting to happen to me, which is why I have to wait and see how the development of the game goes before I would even consider backing it.

On top of this I would have to see how the whole aging and death system works it seems like if they get it wrong the game could be very boring, the concept is good, but it's not something everyone is going to compare to something like Ashes of Crow Fall.

https://chroniclesofelyria.com/game/business-model-sparks-of-life  Not really a fan of the whole life and death thing and having to level back up and stuff.
    edited December 2017
    Calaruil said:
    Kyleran said:

Well that's obvious but theybsid past their ks goal so probably have a bit of leaway.

Again I think it's going to be a wait and see
    You would think it obvious, yet indie MMO backers regularly shrug off delays saying every one does it, no big deal. Time is money, don't ya know. ;)

The original budget for this "program" was $3 to $4 million, with the assumption it would launch by years end. (2017)

They originally assumed $1M in KSer funds and $2 to $3M in private investing, the latter not coming through so far.

The initial burn rate was lower than projected due to challenges in hiring, and it's clear they aren't at full strength yet considering the open positions they are still looking for including lead UI developer. (Surprising this one is still open)

As you say, they've got more time due to lower costs and greater funding raised from backers but they'd better start making some solid progress on the real game soon if they want anyone to kick in more cash..

Of course, if they can keep the funding coming steadily in like SC has managed to (even though a much smaller scale of course) then they'll buy themselves more time to deliver. 

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    So what does that chart mean? It's a snapshot in time that shows the game had an income for a particular month. Is that the norm or the exception? More importantly, is it enough? Who cares if number is, high or low, is it enough? So long as it's sustainable and greater than the expenses, that's great we'll get a new game.If it's not, this thread might as well be looking at a CT scan of a patient with terminal brain cancer saying......"Isn't this awesome? The CT scan says the patient is still alive! What a great Dr. he has!"
    edited January 2018
    Well it seems that the boosts in funding were not purely related to the free kingdom competition.

They announced that they sold 9500 tokens for $95000 over the entire course of..... (ibdont know how long it's been running)

yet some weeks on the chart see a big jump by themselves I believe so the question is what are people buying?
  • KajidourdenKajidourden Member EpicPosts: 3,030
    And they still have nothing to show for it.  Cool?
  • CantPlayHockeyCantPlayHockey Member UncommonPosts: 55
    edited January 2018

Nothing to show for it unless you include VoxElyria which is a side-loaded base platform to test out the mechanics

And also that they've began testing remote login/out during their Friends/Family kickoff

Oh and all of the different available Tribes they've shown in their character creation screen

Oh and the screenshots of the different Biomes they are fleshing out (the world)

Oh and the Pre-Alpha video they've released as of Oct 30 2017:

https://chroniclesofelyria.com/forum/topic/22240/new-prealpha-progress-update-video

Other than that, they've got absolutely nothing to show for it

Dleatherus
    Cool video thanks for that link answered a few of my questions about the game
    I'm sure Caspien's New Year 2018 update will be enlightening :)

I sure hope so, I've become interested in the game and would like to see where they are at and what the future holds.

If all is looking good I am going to pledge/preorder for a basic copy of the game
    CantPlayHockeyDleatherus
  • KajidourdenKajidourden Member EpicPosts: 3,030

Nothing to show for it unless you include VoxElyria which is a side-loaded base platform to test out the mechanics

And also that they've began testing remote login/out during their Friends/Family kickoff

Oh and all of the different available Tribes they've shown in their character creation screen

Oh and the screenshots of the different Biomes they are fleshing out (the world)

Oh and the Pre-Alpha video they've released as of Oct 30 2017:

https://chroniclesofelyria.com/forum/topic/22240/new-prealpha-progress-update-video

Other than that, they've got absolutely nothing to show for it

Yay menus and screenshots!  Such a compelling game!  Especially with all these systems they have!
  • CantPlayHockeyCantPlayHockey Member UncommonPosts: 55

I'm looking forward to it too.

If nothing else it'll give us something to parse over and over and fuel some debate & speculation!
    Kyleran
    Calaruil said:

I sure hope so, I've become interested in the game and would like to see where they are at and what the future holds.

If all is looking good I am going to pledge/preorder for a basic copy of the game
    Such a miser, how ever will this game be made without fanatic like support like SC gets from its believers?

If they can buy $50/$100 plots of land, $795 tanks and spaceships costing thousands of dollars, surely you can dig a little deeper.

;)