Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The 10 Best MMOs of 2017 - The List - MMORPG.com

Comments

• esc-joconnoresc-joconnor Member RarePosts: 1,097
    Rhygarth said:
    For those of you saying the 1st 4 are not MMOs you're wrong. They're MMOs they're just not MMORPGs. MMO= Massive Multiplayer Online. MMORPG= Massive Multiplayer Online Role-playing Game. Any game that is built around massive multiplayer online is an MMO, but not necessarily a MMORPG. It could be a MMOFPS or MMORTS......etc

It's "massively multiplayer online"  get it right ffs

Actually, it's "massively-multiplayer online"
    Rhygarth
  • Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829
    Po_gg said:
    You can't go wrong with an acronym like POG!
    I am Po_gg and I support this message.

:sunglasses:
    I thought you might when I was posting that lol xD

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    The whole idea of MMO is that it's "Multiplayer" that is described as Massively. Not a massive world. Not a massive server. But that a massive number of players can interact in the same persistent world together at the same time in the same location. In an MMO, I should be able to meet up with anyone else logged into my server without needing to queue up for something. 

If I need to queue up for something to meet up with someone, then I can only meet up with a number of players who can also queue up for the same instance. What is massively multiplayer about that?

PhaserlightMadFrenchieEponyxDamorTacticalZombeh
  • xmeerk4txxmeerk4tx Member UncommonPosts: 6
    For all of those arguing that some of there's aren't "MMO's", here's the definition. "An acronym for Massively Multiplayer Online game. MMOs usually involve a free download and recurring monthly fee for gameplay. The most popular MMOs are MMORPGs. One such game is World of Warcraft". In the topic it stated that not all of them are MMORPGs. So, the ones listed fit this title. You could argue they aren't "MMORPG's" to an extent, but they are all MMO's.
    IselinRhygarth
  • gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    LOL

Let's look at Steam tags (in no particular order):

Warframe = Free to Play - Action - Co-op - Multiplayer - Sci-fi.

PlayerUnknown’s Battlegrounds = Survival - Shooter - Multiplayer.

FFXIV = Massively Multiplayer - RPG - Fantasy.

Bless Online = Massively Multiplayer - Adventure - RPG - Action.

Black Desert Online = Massively Multiplayer- RPG - Action.

See? Looks like STEAM know what is and what is not a MMO better than MMORPG.com...

Sorry but PlayerUnknown’s Battlegrounds is not a MMO, not even the DEVs of the game calls it a MMO, and everyone but MMORPG.com knows it.

If PUBG is a MMO now, I guess COD and BF are too. Well, let us not forget about League Of Legends.

Sorry, but what is wrong is wrong. Multiplayer is not the same as Massive Multiplayer, that is why both of the tags exist.
    OK then so:

Just Fishing is a massively multiplayer game ..... Steam says so along with 

Heroes Paradise - My Dream Ranch; Trend Poker 3D; March of Empires; Park Bound; Knife Bound; CarX Drift Racing; Online Circle Pong; OneScreen Wagons 

oh there are so many. I am SO GLAD you pointed out how much better Steam is. Your massively multiplayer experience must be so much better using Steam as your guide <cough>. 

And of course ESO is not a massively multiplayer game because the devs said it isn't. Glad that is cleared up. (Nothing to do with devs wanting to avoid any label at all so that buyers cannot say x, y and z are not done right, so they were misled by false advertsing etc. etc.)

• MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    Mazeneal said:

Rhygarth said:

Lol the first 4 are not even MMO's :P

The title is MMO's not MMORPG, nor any other acronym......these are indeed Massive Multiplayer Online games.....
    No, they aren't.  They're just regular ole multiplayer games.

• NildenNilden Member EpicPosts: 3,916
    Oh MAN.

Bill Murphy.

YOUR LIST IS AWESOME.

:)

"You CAN'T buy ships for RL money." - MaxBacon

"classification of games into MMOs is not by rational reasoning" - nariusseldon

Love Minecraft. And check out my Youtube channel OhCanadaGamer

Try a MUD today at http://www.mudconnect.com/ 

• MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    edited December 2017
    I guess the staff here, between changing the site's name or the genre's definition, decided to do the latter. Considering it is rather impossible to purchase mog.com, it makes sense. 

I don't agree with them, but I understand them. 

Unless they're all wasted and toasted. Then I'd understand them even more! ;)
    I don't blame them, just stop trying to link them together.  It's insulting to one's intelligence.

Cover them and call them what they are : multiplayer games with RPG elements.  Nobody has to stop covering video games, I just ask that they stop trying to lump them together when they're clearly not in the same genre, they just feature overlapping mechanics.

It's like saying Skyrim was that year's #1 first-person shooter because you can be an archer and play in the first-person view.

• DavodtheTuttDavodtheTutt Member UncommonPosts: 415
    It's all moot to me, until I find a game where "open world" means I can go anywhere and find my own things to do, "persistent" means when I do something, it stays done (at least for a good long time -- DEATH to FARMING RESPAWNS!), and "Sandbox" means when I find my own things to do, I can discover the (intuitive) way to do them (DEATH to "crafting" RECIPES, especially with nonsensical "ingredients"!). Plus for the love of gaming, give the NPCs a modicum of basic AI, PLEASE.
  • Viper482Viper482 Member LegendaryPosts: 4,064

No, ALL of these games are MMOs, but what an MMO is has changed greatly since the genre’s inception. And if you disagree, that’s fine. Just make your own list.

Maybe you guys should think about changing the name of the website. www.MMORPG.com calling out Warframe Fortnite, and Pubg as three of the best MMOs of 2017 is just wrong on so many levels.

We have always had multiplayer games and MMO's, why all of a sudden are they the same?
    truewarlord
    Make MMORPG's Great Again!
  • Viper482Viper482 Member LegendaryPosts: 4,064

SBFord said:

Geez, people, lighten up. It's not like Bill said these were all MMORPGs, simply "MMOs".

I dunno...."M" (MASSIVE) "M" (MULTIPLAYER) "O" (ONLINE) all seem to fit each of these games. The definition of massive has changed. The days of 1000s of players sharing a single game are mostly gone and if you consider "servers" -- most of which host fewer than 500 players -- these games all fit. 

The "new" MMO is 50+ to whatever number of players together in one place. People need to adapt with the times. Someday maybe the more "traditional" version of MMO will come back, but for now, times have changed. It's not 2007 any more.

The new MMO is 50+ people online? So Battlefront is an MMO now? CoD? Who made this new definition?
    Make MMORPG's Great Again!
  • esc-joconnoresc-joconnor Member RarePosts: 1,097
    Man, so much wasted talk on the meaning of a term. What is the player minimum to be an MMO? There isn't much bigger than massive, so on a planet with 7.3 billion people. maybe 100k doing something at the same time? Agreed? 

Maybe there should be a logical definition. But alas, me thinks that to be a fools errand. Maybe we should just remember that a rose by any name would still smell as sweet. 
    This site made the move from MMORPGs only to include MMOs and RPGs. And there aren't that many massively-multiplayer online games that everyone can agree on. So accept it or move on I guess.
  • ChicagoCubChicagoCub Member UncommonPosts: 381
    SBFord said:
    Rhygarth said:
    And so it begins....
    It's sad when a site has to resort to trolling its own members.
    LeFantomeGremeViper482TacticalZombehkjempff
  • sowens0074sowens0074 Member UncommonPosts: 22
    Some of those are not MMOs but expected from this "MMO" site.
    pantaroGeezerGaz82
  • CryolitycalCryolitycal Member UncommonPosts: 205
    From the list we can only draw one conclusion. mmoRPGs are dead and smelling, if BDO, GW2 and ESO are something to be excited about. Multiplayer games took a shift towards PvP and shooting this year, if you included Fortnite/PUBG you might as well include HotS and LoL. I can't be convinced a "drop 100 players in an area for 30 mins" is an MMO. There's no persistence whatsoever, even PoE allows you to get and keep gear, upgrade and so on. Destiny 2 might be an MMO, although Bungie denies it. The fact that this game made it to the "good list" is yet another hint at how pathetic the MMO scene is.
    Sad, in the famous words of some random orange dude that made it to the top.
    Viper482
  • ConstantineMerusConstantineMerus Member EpicPosts: 3,338
    edited December 2017
    I guess the staff here, between changing the site's name or the genre's definition, decided to do the latter. Considering it is rather impossible to purchase mog.com, it makes sense. 

I don't agree with them, but I understand them. 

Unless they're all wasted and toasted. Then I'd understand them even more! ;)
    I don't blame them, just stop trying to link them together.  It's insulting to one's intelligence.

Cover them and call them what they are : multiplayer games with RPG elements.  Nobody has to stop covering video games, I just ask that they stop trying to lump them together when they're clearly not in the same genre, they just feature overlapping mechanics.

It's like saying Skyrim was that year's #1 first-person shooter because you can be an archer and play in the first-person vikno
    As I said, I don't agree with them. And they have been doing what you suggested for a few years now. Their current problem is their name is mmorpg and they can't come up with a list of best mmorpgs at the end of the year. So they have decided calling other types of games MMOs. 

They don't care about what their regular members think regarding this matter. Adapt to survive. They'd call Suzie an MMO if it comes down to that. 

They don't want to close down mmmorpg.com because there are no more mmos out there. This is my take. 

Of course, we should still give them a hard time. But I think the debates have become pointless. Because we know that they know. They know that we know that they know. And we know that they know that we know that they know. You know? ;)
    MadFrenchieForgrimmDavodtheTutt
    Constantine, The Console Poster

• "One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out of touch with their instinctive selves." - Carl Jung
  • RedMachine72RedMachine72 Member UncommonPosts: 154
    edited December 2017
    Can't say anything about Warframe...but Destiny 2, PUBG, and Fortnite are all multiplayer shooters. Calling them MMO is like saying that COD multiplayer is an MMO just because there are many people in it at once. There is more to an MMO than just an advancement system and something to kill.
    Viper482
  • CalaruilCalaruil Member UncommonPosts: 141
    So is FF XIV worth trying or should i try ESO again?
  • Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829
    SBFord said:
    Rhygarth said:
    And so it begins....
    It's sad when a site has to resort to trolling its own members.
    Trolling? I saw it more as sighing. :grin:
    ScotDavodtheTutt

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

• EponyxDamorEponyxDamor Member RarePosts: 749
    edited December 2017
    Calaruil said:
    XIV if you want that vertical progression (standard fare gear treadmill MMO) and ESO if you're more interested in exploring, immersion, and horizontal progression. Both are great choices for MMOs, honestly; just depends on what you're in the mood for.
  • CalaruilCalaruil Member UncommonPosts: 141
    Calaruil said:
    XIV if you want that vertical progression (standard fare gear treadmill MMO) and ESO if you're more interested in exploring, immersion, and horizontal progression. Both are great choices for MMOs, honestly; just depends on what you're in the mood for.
    Thanks. ESO it is.
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,952
    No, ALL of these games are MMOs, but what an MMO is has changed greatly since the genre’s inception. And if you disagree, that’s fine. Just make your own list.
    Could we not have two lists? One of proper MMO's and one of multiplayer co-op games? I would happily read both as I think any poster would here. Rather than get into an argument about definition, keep everyone happy, and with two articles get more clicks? ;)
    RedMachine72thighhighs
  • exile01exile01 Member RarePosts: 1,089
    my comment was deleted again.
    TheScavenger
  • MirandelMirandel Member UncommonPosts: 143
    edited December 2017
    Warframe is a free-to-play cooperative third-person shooter
    Destiny 2 is an online-only multiplayer first-person shooter
    Fortnite is a co-op sandbox survival

Even developers did not dear to call it Massive Multiplayer games
    Viper482
  • GeezerGaz82GeezerGaz82 Member UncommonPosts: 65
    "Warframe, many would argue, is the best MMO that no one really talks about." Bill Murphy 2017

I suppose if Warframe slip you some money to say so it must be true. Who knew that advertiser money could turn Warframe into an MMO, even though apparently many would argue it is only 1-8 player instanced battles. I think we need a new word for MMO or MMORPG so that they can't twist it into other genres and ride the false advertising wave like MMORPG has been doing for the last few years.
    Maybe call them Thousand Player RPGs (TPRPG). Massively or Massive as some people define it, is a very vague description and can be debated until the end of time. Bill Murphy's definition of MMORPG is Warframe, for example. Each to their own I guess, but I prefer TPRPGs
    Viper482thighhighs