Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Proactive Healing or Reactive Healing

EronakisEronakis Member UncommonPosts: 2,248
Healers have always been an interesting commodity to have in your group. In most traditional MMORPG's you have to have them in your group. 

I am asking a simple question for you Healer Players. If you had to choose one type of healer which do you prefer and why?

Do you prefer playing a Proactive Healer or a Reactive Healer? Let me define both.

Proactive Healer is one that uses Heal over times, Shielding, and Mends/Ward type of heals. Can be Single target or AoE.

Reactive Healers is one that typically uses massive direct heals which can be single target and/or AoE. 

I do understand that Healers will be more apt in being reactive or proactive with some overlapping of the other. Please let me know why you find playing a Proactive or Reactive Healer as fun. Vote below!
Proactive or Reactive Healing
  1. If you had to choose to play which would you pick? And Why?22 votes
    1. Proactive Healer
      68.18%
    2. Reactive Healer
      31.82%

Comments

• DragnelusDragnelus Member EpicPosts: 3,503
    Both I always try to level all the healers to max in an mmo. I start with the ones that looks nice, what attracts me. 
    Octagon7711

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    In FFXIV:ARR you have both types, it sounds like Scholar would fall under the definition of Proactive healer, whereas the White Mage would be more of a 'reactive' healer, i prefer Scholar to White Mage, so i guess that means i prefer a more Proactive type, at least as far as that definition goes. :)
  • waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    proactive
    http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888
    edited December 2017
    Eronakis said:

Do you prefer playing a Proactive Healer or a Reactive Healer? Let me define both.

Proactive Healer is one that uses Heal over times, Shielding, and Mends/Ward type of heals. Can be Single target or AoE.

Reactive Healers is one that typically uses massive direct heals which can be single target and/or AoE.
    Those are descriptions, not definitions.

But as to the question, I prefer being reactive. For me having to react to the situation is what makes healer role unique from others. If I want to be proactive I'll play a tank.

• Flyte27Flyte27 Member RarePosts: 4,574
    I think reactive healing is more difficult and interesting, but also more prone to causing a group wipe.  This is why good healers were valued in old MMOs.
  • SirAgravaineSirAgravaine Member RarePosts: 520
    I feel like there is an option missing, or perhaps it is a sub-category: interactive. What comes to mind are Priest's Light Wells in WoW, and Blood Altars in ESO.
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    I heal a lot in MMOs and I like having both types in my toolkit: the proactive ones for when things are just humming along nicely and the "Oh shit!" reactive ones for when something goes wrong.

I wouldn't want to heal if I didn't have both types available to me.
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    Both should have been an option.  I like playing healers and usually play what they have available but in general I play the one that offers the most different types of heals.  Like a Chanter in Aion.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• EldurianEldurian Member EpicPosts: 2,736
    I like ones that have a good mix where I can use proactive healing on targets likely to take damage and reactive healing to deal with situations as the fight evolves. But if only one type I like proactive because generally it is less mana draining and powerful if you stay ontop of it.
  • KajidourdenKajidourden Member EpicPosts: 3,030
    I personally enjoy pre-emptive healing or shields.  I know it's really 6 in one hand half a dozen in the other....but it feels more tactical to me.

As for which is better It's situational.  It depends on what abilities the enemy uses, what abilities the player has, and relative to the first two how much HP the healing targets have.  

Look no further than FFXIV for a prime example of this with Scholar vs White Mage.  Two different styles that are more useful depending on the situation.
  • EronakisEronakis Member UncommonPosts: 2,248
    Both should have been an option.  I like playing healers and usually play what they have available but in general I play the one that offers the most different types of heals.  Like a Chanter in Aion.
    I was contemplating that but then I figured that most people would choose both. I just wanted to have a clear distinction between the two spectrums of healing types.
  • dllddlld Member UncommonPosts: 615
    Neither? I guess I'd say 'passive'. I started playing a druid in wow and I got shoehorned into being a healer for all vanilla since that was the only thing they could do and stopping being a healer would essentially also mean quitting raiding. So I guess it left a sour taste in my mouth after a while.

I really liked some concepts of combat healers like adding debuffs to enemies that grant a small lifesteal or other non direct heals that doesn't require healthbar whackamole like placing a pulsating healing totem, 'aura' like heals that depends on your damage rotations or something.
  • SinsaiSinsai Member UncommonPosts: 405
    Didn't vote as no option for me.

I choose both.
  • ShodanasShodanas Member RarePosts: 1,933
    This is not a simple one versus the other issue. In WoW and TOR both are required. When the tank goes in to engage a boss or is about to enter a damage heavy phase proactive healing is a must. Waiting for him to start taking damage and then reacting usually results in a dead player. Same applies to all the classes not just the tanks.

Good healers know which technique and when to use. Something my resto shaman still needs to master. :)
  • WarlyxWarlyx Member EpicPosts: 3,363
    edited December 2017
    while scholar and whm in FFXIV are a good example they arent the "best" example , im sure whm are going to get a stoneskin effect in Cure IV come next expansion or make the next Cure a stoneskin effect

would be better saying Discipline priest vs Holy (old times dunno if that changed in legion)

Shaman / Defiler wards vs Cleric (albeit clerics had reactive heals that healed on melee attacks, earth shield for wow players )

Hots , Wards , heals , are all usefull , u need all them to be a efficient healer
    This is how I heal with healbot:

Nobody has died so far!
    KajidourdenEronakis

• EponyxDamorEponyxDamor Member RarePosts: 749
    Honestly, it depends on the game I'm playing.

If its more actiony, I prefer proactive healing. If its more laid back, I prefer reactive healing. There have been a few games where I felt the methods of healing did not match the pace of gameplay. For example, there were reactive options to heal in GW2, but I never found that the fast paced, hectic combat really gave enough time to utilize them properly without substantial communication with a group. Inversely, proactive healing in games like WoW, FFXIV, and EQ2 (Shaman Wards, Cleric Reactive healing, etc.) seems too easy and out of place with the slower paced combat/scripted fights.
    This is how I love healing, chaos and unpredictable. This is me one year ago wow bg :smiley:

• ShaighShaigh Member EpicPosts: 2,142
    I prefer direct healing over hot and shielding. I find it far more fun to do huge group heals where you see everyone in the group gain 30% of their health back instead of endless ticking of hot. Its just a nice feeling when you start your cast when they were at 60% health and the target is almost at the brink of death as the heal lands and they get a nice burst up to 80% health. Cycling hot on maintanks is boring.

Worst thing I ever did was applying raid wide shields on lich king fight, spamming hot on everyone comes as a close second. 
    Iselin: And the next person who says "but it's a business, they need to make money" can just go fuck yourself.
  • VelifaxVelifax Member UncommonPosts: 413
    I stick largely with proactive because i like executing a predefined pattern and observing its effect over time, adjusting the pattern as necessary.

I may enjoy the reactive but i don't enjoy whack a mole unless the targeting is fun, and I've never seen that in an mmo.
  • EldurianEldurian Member EpicPosts: 2,736
    edited December 2017
    With "proactive" healing being considered any ongoing healing effect and "reactive healing" being anything that just gives the target a big old chunk of health. I'd like to point out that "proactive healers" are responding to battlefield conditions as well.

Example

This was a staple skill of the first healer I ever played. While it's technically a proactive heal by the OP's definition I would use when I noticed someone was being hit by a fast attacking class like an assassin or the target of a focus fire.

And that's personally a large part of the reasons I think "proactive" heals are more interesting. There can only be so many takes on "You cast a spell and they recover health." Proactive heals can do a lot of really interesting things and allow you to respond to certain situations with a skill more directly tailored to that situation.

For instance from the same game as the last skill:

Example 2

The first skill is strongest against someone who is being targeted with a massive number of small attacks. One of the counters to it is classes that use a small number of super powerful attacks to down their opponent. Protective spirit is the opposite. It shuts down heavy damage opponents by capping the damage they can do with a single attack. A healer running both those skills can use them in conjunction to essentially make their target invincible for a short duration or, you can use them separately if you notice an ally fighting an assassin (Fast attacks) and another fighting an air mage (Heavy damage) to protect them from those specific targets.

While a HoT healer with few bells and whistles is about the easiest type to play. I think a well built "proactive healer" is actually one of the most skill intensive and powerful classes to be found.
    Post edited by Eldurian on
    Eronakis
  • Flyte27Flyte27 Member RarePosts: 4,574
    edited December 2017
    Mispost
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955
    Most players I know who play healers like to have both. This may be because they have used one way or the other in a previous MMO and then miss that method in their next MMO.
  • CalaruilCalaruil Member UncommonPosts: 141
    I was torn because I only ever played a healadin in wow and he was mainly reactive with some shield abilities.

• ElsaboltsElsabolts Member RarePosts: 3,476
    I've always liked to log out at start of Boss fight and find something else to do. Only as a healer mind you.
    " Life Liberty and the Pursuit of Those Who  Would Threaten It "
                                            MAGA