Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I don't care about features until I know release

delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081
When ?

Ashes of Creation is one of three games I'm excited about.  

I often get tired assuming and daydreaming years in advance.  Reading so many topics as potential players get some news and everyone runs with it.  I understand all three are crowd funded so developers need cash flow. 

All I need to know is: 
- It has a node system  ( The paragraph on top explains it all )
- The graphics style seems to have the potential of working  
- And good financial backers.  So will probably get a game 

All we "really need" to know is when !!!!!!........... All detailed features could be learned 2 weeks before.  

So my question is when ?...... That's the only important thing.
Kyleran

Comments

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,505
    We don't often agree, but in this case I'm with you. Forget telling me how much progress you've made, tell me how long to finish what is left and do a final release.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• WraithoneWraithone Member RarePosts: 3,806
    edited December 2017
    Kyleran, given the inherent nature of software development, attempting to put more than a year date is a fools game. Especially for such a highly complex series of systems as those used by the typical modern MMO.  It takes as long as it takes.  Even highly experienced developers can't *honestly* do more than that.
    XAleX360
    "If you can't kill it, don't make it mad."
  • PonziniPonzini Member UncommonPosts: 506
    edited January 2018
    They have already said they plan to release before 2020. Closed Alpha has already started and the Alpha 1 test starts early next year. What did you want? An exact date? There is no way they can do that at this point.

Of course they are going to discuss features though. If you don't want to follow it... then don't. Pretty simple.
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,505
    Wraithone said:
    Kyleran, given the inherent nature of software development, attempting to put more than a year date is a fools game. Especially for such a highly complex series of systems as those used by the typical modern MMO.  It takes as long as it takes.  Even highly experienced developers can't *honestly* do more than that.
    I make my living delivering highly complex software projects, never once was I given the luxury of doing a project for "as long as it takes."

There are early high level estimates sure, which can easily be off by a factor of 50 to 100%. But as a project progresses, the cone of uncertainty should steadily reduce, permitting more accurate forecasting, especially of near term deliverables.

The Ashes team has actually done a fine job, they have shown almost too remarkable process in too little time, my complaint was directed more towards projects 5 years in the making (CU, SC cough, cough) that can't project when their next beta or alpha will be, much less the final release.

Instead all we get are reports of what has been done so far,  and seldom are timelines associated with the published remaining work items.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

Kyleran said:
    Wraithone said:
    I make my living delivering highly complex software projects, never once was I given the luxury of doing a project for "as long as it takes."

There are early high level estimates sure, which can easily be off by a factor of 50 to 100%. But as a project progresses, the cone of uncertainty should steadily reduce, permitting more accurate forecasting, especially of near term deliverables.

The Ashes team has actually done a fine job, they have shown almost too remarkable process in too little time, my complaint was directed more towards projects 5 years in the making (CU, SC cough, cough) that can't project when their next beta or alpha will be, much less the final release.

Instead all we get are reports of what has been done so far,  and seldom are timelines associated with the published remaining work items.

No one gives a shit if you don't deliver on time though. In the gaming world people get really upset with push backs. There is no reason for them to give any. That is how it is done with almost all games in development for a reason. They said they would deliver closed alpha by the end of the year and they delivered. 

They dont need to give some arbitrary date that would most certainly need to be changed. 
  • nate1980nate1980 Member UncommonPosts: 2,063
    If you take a project to investors, they'll expect a time-line. In this case, we're the investors, so we should have a time-line. A time-line includes all kinds of data and milestones. Ways we can guage a teams progress. Without a time-line, we cannot guage their use of resources, our resources. Without that, what confidence could we have that they're staying on task, and working as hard as we expect for a final deliverable?

nate1980 said:
    If you take a project to investors, they'll expect a time-line. In this case, we're the investors, so we should have a time-line. A time-line includes all kinds of data and milestones. Ways we can guage a teams progress. Without a time-line, we cannot guage their use of resources, our resources. Without that, what confidence could we have that they're staying on task, and working as hard as we expect for a final deliverable?

Investment period is over. If you put money into the project, you already looked at what they presented and gave them money. It is too late to demand any detailed time line. Also the game is largely self funded. The kickstarter was only to add extra small features to the game. 

They have so far stuck to any dates they have given and have been extremely open with their progress. We have seen almost everything they have developed so far. We have had so many Q&As that we really don't have any more questions to ask. We have monthly live streams with live gameplay. We have had hands on at PAX. All this only months after the kickstarter ended. 

They just need to work on the game.
  • delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081
    Ponzini said:
    They have already said they plan to release before 2020. Closed Alpha has already started and the Alpha 1 test starts early next year. What did you want? An exact date? There is no way they can do that at this point.

Of course they are going to discuss features though. If you don't want to follow it... then don't. Pretty simple.

OK, thank you for the two years from now release date. 

Now I know I'll study features around September 2020.  For now I'll stick with the two paragraph synopses.  TWO YEARS..... It is pretty simple.  
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,977
    How about doing what I do? Taking no notice of a new game until it launches? I saw this thread under Recent Posts, otherwise would not be here. Go and do something useful with your life rather than endless debate about what the future might bring. Before you know it the future is here and you wonder why you spent so much time talking about it. :D
  • GaladournGaladourn Member RarePosts: 1,813
    edited January 2018
    Till now they have been pretty punctual in meeting deadlines, so my guess (and hope) is that the original timeschedule shall not be significantly altered.
  • delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081
    Scot said:
    How about doing what I do? Taking no notice of a new game until it launches? I saw this thread under Recent Posts, otherwise would not be here. Go and do something useful with your life rather than endless debate about what the future might bring. Before you know it the future is here and you wonder why you spent so much time talking about it. :D

I agree  with this, 

I'll take it off my favorites... I'll come back in two years