Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The 10 Best MMOs of 2017 - The List - MMORPG.com

Comments

• AntariousAntarious Member UncommonPosts: 2,834

Gisrie said:

wait, were calling BDO a sandbox game now? i mean, sorta i guess.

have to agree with most that some of these games are not what the traditional definition of 'MMO' is, but at this point i think its no longer an acronym and instead just used to define any type of online game.

That is probably true. However, I believe that is why it should be changed to something else. The term "massive" doesn't really devolve very well and should be replaced by "multi player".

I have zero problem with the article or the games on it. I just think the term needs to "evolve" to be more inclusive.. I guess is the way to word it. In general the word "inclusive" makes me cringe.. however, I read about a lot of games on here I wouldn't normally have played... that just don't fit the traditional "mmo" definition and I don't think this is something that needs to be... complicated.
  • MadCoderOneMadCoderOne Member UncommonPosts: 220
    1/2 arent MMORPG's...sorry
    AlomarS7NXMitaraAgent_Josephkjempff
  • MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196
    All of these list from this site are laughable.
    NildenMitarathighhighsHachlath
  • GolelornGolelorn Member RarePosts: 1,395

SBFord said:

Rhygarth said:

Lol the first 4 are not even MMO's :P

And so it begins....

So.. if the article had said MMO of the year goes to Fortnite you think that would have been OK?
    LeFantomethighhighsEQBallzz
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,981
    "Sure enough, there weren’t many great new games to play in 2017."

Well I am not sure it is a good idea to vote a MMO in its first year as best MMO anyway, give it a year to mature. But the word "games" was used, rather indicating the list leans to online multiplayer.

And so I continue it...

There are rather a lot of Not So MMO (etc) on the list. I am not sure why MMO players or columnists should be getting caught up in the "Battle Royale mode craze". It is a mode, not the second coming. Warframe for example is described by its company as "A third-person, co-op focused action game" I guess co-op is all that's needed now for the word "MMO" to be dropped on it like an elephant in the lobby.

The actual MMOs picked were a good balanced selection, well thought out. Diversity in MMOs; their play styles, lore, themes and graphics is what makes for a strong genre and that's what the list shows.

Golelorn
  • AkulasAkulas Member RarePosts: 3,006
    GW2, FFXIV, ESO, SWL and BDO MMORPG. Warfame, D2, Fortnite, POE not MMORPG. Feel free to tell me why I'm wrong. :D
    LeFantome

This isn't a signature, you just think it is.

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    Here, MMO = Any game with a login screen.
    ForgrimmAlpiusGeezerGaz82Tealajenarieltort0429angerbeaverAeliousMitaraMrMelGibsonand 5 others.
  • RedFireCERedFireCE Member UncommonPosts: 49
    The owner of the article did a good job, I found the subject excellent, but he started a war. haha
    Mitara
  • ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534
    i'd say warframe has more players online than some other mmos. so it's actually quite massive, and multiplayer, and online

uh and if they are no mmos, why is GW? what's the max per instance, 40? 100?
    sounds like a big battlefield to me, eh?

get some fresh panties guys and chill
    BruceYeeMitara

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

• RaquisRaquis Member RarePosts: 1,029
    edited December 2017
    the only good thing i can say about the 10"best" MMO`S is that some of the better ones are free.
    the devcelopers make very boring average games i believe they will release amazing games as soon as you agree to plant a chip in your brain then you are a total slave in any case,like the Borg in star trek thats their goal;)
  • IceAgeIceAge Member EpicPosts: 3,120

SBFord said:

Rhygarth said:

And so it begins....

And so , change the title ! "The 10 Best Mix Games of 2017"
    EdgeHellfire

Reporter: What's behind Blizzard success, and how do you make your gamers happy?
    Blizzard Boss: Making gamers happy is not my concern, making money.. yes!

• BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565
    “In no particular order, here are our 10 Best MMOs of 2017. Note, not all of these are MMORPG’s, but rather prime examples of the changing landscape of persistent online games.”
    Azaron_Nightblade[Deleted User]LucienReneNildenbrandedwolfMitaraMrMelGibsonthighhighsuriel_mafessEQBallzz

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
    Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

• PhaserlightPhaserlight Member EpicPosts: 3,072

SBFord said:

Rhygarth said:

And so it begins....

Not to mention PoE.

The problem is it takes away spots from perhaps other deserving MMORPGs.

This isn't even a list selected from MMOs that launched in 2017, which would make including the above understandable.

There are hundreds of extant honest-to-goodness MMORPGs; you could have literally rolled the dice a few times and come up with a better list of "best MMOs of 2017".

"The simple is the seal of the true and beauty is the splendor of truth" -Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar
    Authored 139 missions in Vendetta Online and 6 tracks in Distance

• LeFantomeLeFantome Member RarePosts: 692
    “In no particular order, here are our 10 Best MMOs of 2017. Note, not all of these are MMORPG’s, but rather prime examples of the changing landscape of persistent online games.”

huh?
    thighhighs

• KajidourdenKajidourden Member EpicPosts: 3,030
    DMKano said:

Then just change the list to 10 best Multiplayer Online games.

Sort of like making a list 10 best sports cars - but then saying "note not all of these are cars - some are bicycles and there's a pair of running shoes in the list too"

This.  The list is idiotic.
    SBFordCecropiaAlomaruriel_mafess
  • BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565
    No, ALL of these games are MMOs, but what an MMO is has changed greatly since the genre’s inception. And if you disagree, that’s fine. Just make your own list.
    SBFordpantarokertin[Deleted User]ShaighSamhaelLazarus71LucienRenebrandedwolfmysticmouseand 6 others.

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
    Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

• SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
    edited December 2017
    Geez, people, lighten up. It's not like Bill said these were all MMORPGs, simply "MMOs".

I dunno...."M" (MASSIVE) "M" (MULTIPLAYER) "O" (ONLINE) all seem to fit each of these games. The definition of massive has changed. The days of 1000s of players sharing a single game are mostly gone and if you consider "servers" -- most of which host fewer than 500 players -- these games all fit. 

The "new" MMO is 50+ to whatever number of players together in one place. People need to adapt with the times. Someday maybe the more "traditional" version of MMO will come back, but for now, times have changed. It's not 2007 any more.

pantaroBillMurphykertinAlomarLeFantomeViper482brandedwolfPsYcHoGBRScottJeslisMrMelGibsonand 6 others.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Thane said:
    i'd say warframe has more players online than some other mmos. so it's actually quite massive, and multiplayer, and online

uh and if they are no mmos, why is GW? what's the max per instance, 40? 100?
    sounds like a big battlefield to me, eh?

get some fresh panties guys and chill
    sgel said:
    Could the people who say that some of the games on the list aren't mmos, defind what an mmo is?

Just curious what each person's definition is.

It's "massively multiplayer", not "massive + multiplayer".  Chess is played by a "massive" number of people (600 million), it is "multiplayer" (2 players), it is online.  There's all three boxes for you box-checkers.  Must be a MMORPG?  Reductio ad absurdum.

It's hard to believe the goalposts have moved so far this must even be a discussion.

That stated, it's not just about how many people are literally simultaneously interacting in a meaningful way; MUDs are a thing, and somewhat distinct from MMORPGs.  The term "MMORPG" also has meaningful connotation like:

*A persistent world
    *Large numbers of people in the same digital space
    *Progression
    *Role-playing

Publishing a list like this adds further confusion about what the term "MMORPG" means at a time when many people seem to be struggling with the concept.  This is mmorpg.com; you could have used this as an opportunity to showcase some MMORPGs if you needed 5 or so spots to fill, regardless of whether or not they are popular!  Perhaps in drawing your community's attention to actual MMORPGs you may even help some of them to become popular.

From your game list:

Rift
    WildStar
    TERA
    EVE Online
    Lord of the Rings Online
    Final Fantasy XI
    Dark Age of Camelot
    Ryzom
    Perpetuum
    PlanetSide 2
    Dungeon & Dragons Online
    Ultima Online
    EverQuest
    Lineage 2
    DC Universe Online
    Anarchy Online
    Dragon Nest
    World of Warcraft
    Age of Conan: Unchained
    Firefall
    Wurm Online
    Age of Wushu
    Vendetta Online
    Star Wars: The Old Republic
    Continent of the Ninth Seal
    Pirates of the Burning Sea
    Uncharted Waters Online
    A Tale in the Desert
    Entropia Universe
    Mortal Online

I submit that a random selection of any five from there in place of the titles that are not MMORPGs would improve your list.
    AlomarLeFantometruewarlordthighhighsScorchienLucienReneViper482mmm_22ScotGeezerGaz82and 9 others.

"The simple is the seal of the true and beauty is the splendor of truth" -Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar

• DragnelusDragnelus Member EpicPosts: 3,503
    [Deleted User]MrMelGibson

• pantaropantaro Member RarePosts: 515

sgel said:

Rhygarth said:

MMO massively multiplayer online is not 100 people on a server... i would not class massively as 100, you on the other hand might but 100 in my book is not massive 1000+ then yes

But what difference does it make how many thousands are on the server if instances only manage up to dozens?

that is actually my issue with most mmo's and why i dont even consider most themepark mmo's worthy of being called massively.

o yay all these people on the servers but no good reason or way to interact with more than a few at any one time.

• ConstantineMerusConstantineMerus Member EpicPosts: 3,338
    I guess the staff here, between changing the site's name or the genre's definition, decided to do the latter. Considering it is rather impossible to purchase mog.com, it makes sense. 

I don't agree with them, but I understand them. 

Unless they're all wasted and toasted. Then I'd understand them even more! ;)
    BillMurphy
    Constantine, The Console Poster

• "One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out of touch with their instinctive selves." - Carl Jung
  • ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534
    edited December 2017
    *A persistent world
    *Progression
    *Role-playing

roleplaying actually is not required for an mmo, but an mmorpg, which obviously is a sub of mmos...
    DC universe is fine, but warframe is not? warframe has raids too, you know? and relays, where a large number of people actually can meet, in a persistent world, and even roleplay!
    and quite frankly, i saw alot more players in warframe than i saw during playing DCUO

and guess what, warframe has by farm more progression than most "allowed by mmorpg.com users"-mmos.

i dont think you actually understood HOW HEAVY those "mmos" you concider to be mmos already focus on instancing their world, especially old republic :)

some instance games seem to be okai for you, others not, why is that? personal opinion? after that all high and mighty text you just threw out here? tststs

game terms change over time, get used to it, saves you alot of rage :)

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

• Joseph_KerrJoseph_Kerr Member RarePosts: 1,113
    This list gets sadder and sadder each year. The mmorpg genre is indeed in need of love.
  • AreWeLiveAreWeLive Member UncommonPosts: 201
    I am a bit confused what an MMO is today and how its meaning has changed,

i mean some of these games have large numbers of players online at one time but not in a constant world, more of a lobby/que game, to me that's just a multiplayer game.

Is it an MMO because there are more then 10 players online now? I remember playing games like Quake/Unreal Tournament MP that had more then that and it was not considered an MMO.

Anyway, I am not putting this story down, I am not agreeing or disagreeing with it, I am just asking what criteria is needed for a game to be considered an MMO today.
    MadFrenchie
    Thane said:
    *A persistent world
    *Progression
    *Role-playing

roleplaying actually is not required for an mmo, but an mmorpg, which obviously is a sub of mmos...
    DC universe is fine, but warframe is not? warframe has raids too, you know? and relays, where a large number of people actually can meet, in a persistent world, and even roleplay!
    and quite frankly, i saw alot more players in warframe than i saw during playing DCUO

and guess what, warframe has by farm more progression than most "allowed by mmorpg.com users"-mmos.

i dont think you actually understood HOW HEAVY those "mmos" you concider to be mmos already focus on instancing their world, especially old republic :)

some instance games seem to be okai for you, others not, why is that? personal opinion? after that all high and mighty text you just threw out here? tststs

game terms change over time, get used to it, saves you alot of rage :)
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but Warframe lacks a persistent world which is... a pretty basic defining feature of the MMORPG genre?  By "persistence" I mean the world continues to exist (and change) whether or not you are logged in.  The degree to which meaningful change occurs is another discussion to be had, but at least there are a great number of games that are trying.

Any rage you ascribe to me is of your own perception.  I'm quite calm, actually.