Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The 10 Best MMOs of 2017 - The List - MMORPG.com

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited December 2017 in News & Features Discussion

imageThe 10 Best MMOs of 2017 - The List - MMORPG.com

We recently awarded our MMO of the year to Final Fantasy XIV, and for good reason. It’s been another banner year for Final Fantasy fans and their MMORPG, but it’s not the only MMO that had a solid 2017. Sure enough, there weren’t many great new games to play in 2017. But we’re taking a look at the games we played, in beta and fully launched, and picking our favorites.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• RhygarthRhygarth Member UncommonPosts: 259
    Lol the first 4 are not even MMO's :P
    jinro372zerocountMad+Dog[Deleted User]goozmaniaDragnelusLeFantomeAgent_JosephMikehaGolelornand 46 others.
  • SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
    Rhygarth said:
    And so it begins....
    immodiumGrememcrippinsRaquispantaroAlverantAlomarAzaron_Nightblade[Deleted User]Samhaeland 31 others.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• SignexSignex Member UncommonPosts: 318
    edited December 2017
    The only MMO's that i've enjoyed besides WoW is ESO and BnS. The combat in BnS is so freakin fun, i hope i get to see new MMO's with similar combat. BDO and GW2 i just can't get into, i can't enjoy the combat in tho's 2. I hate how limited the skills are in GW2, that you need to switch between 2 weapons with their own skills wich you can't change unlike ESO.
    AMD Ryzen 5800X3D - Gigabyte Aorus RTX 3080 10G Master - 16GB RAM
  • Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749
    Rhygarth said:
    Look from the other side, 4 on the list (out of 10) are at least MMOs, that's a good ratio to the genre for this year :smiley:
    QuicksandGeezerGaz82Mirandelchocolate42069MitaraNevereverlandsetsua28wingood
  • Mad+DogMad+Dog Member UncommonPosts: 780
    edited December 2017

SBFord said:

Rhygarth said:

And so it begins....

he/she has a point
    wekydarkheartsLucienReneViper482Mitarasetsua28Kyleran

• gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919

Zenislav said:

SBFord said:

Rhygarth said:

And so it begins....

There is nothing to begin. They are not MMOs at all. Warframe is just Diablo style game in third person and PoE is top down hack and slash. You had to stretch this list by puting 5 extra games as there were no new MMOs worth mentioning and just old ones with some crappy DLC like patches except WoW and FF14 that actually get good content.

"Some crappy DLC like patches" .... hmmm OK so you think Morrowind sucked maybe ....

However - back in the day - a game like GW1 wasn't considered an mmo - by lots of people. My point being that games have - and continue - to change as technology, software development tools etc. have advanced.

Dismissing a game because we don't believe it fits our definition of some label - I suggest - is stupid. Why not give the staff some credit and accept that they may actually know their stuff.

All the games on their list that I have tried are "good solid games"; not all to my taste but that is different. So I am happy to accept that the ones I haven't tried are as well and if I get time I will check them out. Life is to short to worry about labels.
    LucienRenebrandedwolfThunder073josko9
    edited December 2017
    So in other words nothing new here please move your hopes to 2018

On a side note Google is adding an add blocker to Chrome I wonder if they could add a filter to block all paid advertising it would make it easy to see whats worth looking at
    Hachlath
  • AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    edited December 2017
    As I've said before, the good thing about low expectations is that its hard to be let down. I guess more people's expectations will be lower in 2018. It just might be better to do a list saying the best MMOs in the past decade to see if much really changes because the mmo market in the past year has been kind of bleh.
    MitaraEQBallzzHachlath
  • goozmaniagoozmania Member RarePosts: 394
    edited December 2017
    If Pantheon doesn't release in 2018; and if it isn't at least B in quality, this genre, that I've held to such a high regard for 18 years, is dead to me... It's been on life support for the past 8 years... which is a shockingly long time.
    BruceYeesakerThunder073MitaraEQBallzzHachlath
  • GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    I realize the subjectivity over the term "MMO" has been an ongoing debate here for years. But can we at least try to use it to describe games that are at least somewhat "Massively Multiplayer"?
    AlomarEponyxDamorLucienReneNildenMadFrenchieGeezerGaz82setsua28onelesslightKyleranuriel_mafessand 1 other.
  • sgelsgel Member EpicPosts: 2,197
    Could the people who say that some of the games on the list aren't mmos, defind what an mmo is?

Just curious what each person's definition is.

..Cake..

• MazenealMazeneal Member UncommonPosts: 143

Rhygarth said:

The title is MMO's not MMORPG, nor any other acronym......these are indeed Massive Multiplayer Online games.....
    SignexAlomarspeedylegs8Iselinbrandedwolfjosko9
    MMO massively multiplayer online is not 100 people on a server... i would not class massively as 100, you on the other hand might but 100 in my book is not massive 1000+ then yes
    SignexAlomarbrandedwolfMitarauriel_mafess
    Rhygarth said:
    MMO massively multiplayer online is not 100 people on a server... i would not class massively as 100, you on the other hand might but 100 in my book is not massive 1000+ then yes
    But what difference does it make how many thousands are on the server if instances only manage up to dozens?
    SignexLucienRenebrandedwolfMitaraFaraona93

..Cake..

edited December 2017
    what ? have you never played a real mmo where you can have hundreds of people pvping in the same open world ? thats what i call a mmo where you can all be togther, also it dose not need to be pvp you all could be doing an open world boss togther
    SignexAlomarbrandedwolf
  • DragnelusDragnelus Member EpicPosts: 3,503
    Tbh top 10 best multiplayer games would be a better title.

Still wouldnt be mine top 10.
    Agent_JosephAlomarSamhaelEponyxDamorLucienReneMitaraonemeg

Rhygarth said:
    what ? have you never played a real mmo where you can have hundreds of people pvping in the same open world ? thats what i call a mmo where you can all be togther, also it dose not need to be pvp you all could be doing an open world boss togther
    Of course I have (hey I was at B-R), I just don't think that we should ONLY classify as mmos games which allow hundreds of players in their instances. That leaves out shitloads of games with a lower instance cap.

Lots of games aren't designed for hundreds of players per instance but do have all the other mechanics that characterize mmos. The word "Massive" doesn't just define the number of players per instance.

Signexgervaise1

..Cake..

Dragnelus has it right they are just multiplayer games, its not just massive as in massive world it is "massively multiplayer" i am sorry but that says to me you can have lots of people playing togther
    AlomarLucienRene
  • kertinkertin Member UncommonPosts: 259
    Oh, here we are, old folks reload your "guns", there is an article about the 10 best MMOs of 2017 and some of these games are not even MMO's! I'm gonna grab some popcorn, this can be fun.
    SignexLucienReneDavodtheTutt
  • UlorikUlorik Member UncommonPosts: 179
    For me the term MMORPG in the classical sense (classic as in when it all started with UO, EQ, AO, DAOC, Wow) always consisted of the following elements: massive as on more then just 40 or 100 players per server, - online, obviously, - persistent, - and lastly, a huge explorable world. Anyone else fancy calling it MOPW? (Massive Online Persistent World)
    Agent_JosephIce-Queenmetareal
    Rhygarth said:
    Dragnelus has it right they are just multiplayer games, its not just massive as in massive world it is "massively multiplayer" i am sorry but that says to me you can have lots of people playing togther
    Pong is a multiplayer game so is EvE Online with thousands of people per battle.
    Just calling something multiplayer is waaaay too generic.

Anyway, your opinion of  "massive" is different to mine, there's not a set-in-stone definition iirc which is why these conversations about which game is and isn't an mmo never really end.
    It's very subjective.

..Cake..

• AlpiusAlpius Member UncommonPosts: 247
    wait, were calling BDO a sandbox game now? i mean, sorta i guess.

have to agree with most that some of these games are not what the traditional definition of 'MMO' is, but at this point i think its no longer an acronym and instead just used to define any type of online game.
  • LeFantomeLeFantome Member RarePosts: 692

Rhygarth said:

Agreed , a lot of them are NOT even close to be a MMO.
    Agent_JosephSignexAlomarHachlath

• DragnelusDragnelus Member EpicPosts: 3,503
    sgel said:
    Rhygarth said:
    Pong is a multiplayer game so is EvE Online with thousands of people per battle.
    Just calling something multiplayer is waaaay too generic.

Anyway, your opinion of  "massive" is different to mine, there's not a set-in-stone definition iirc which is why these conversations about which game is and isn't an mmo never really end.
    It's very subjective.

What is massive? Secret world legends is only 10 players per zone, so does destiny 2, path of exile  up to 6 players.
    AlomarHachlath

• Agent_JosephAgent_Joseph Member UncommonPosts: 1,361

What is massive? Secret world legends is only 10 players per zone

WTF,are you ever played SWL ?
    Mitara