Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Polygon talks to backer who has waited months for their 25k refund

Comments

• NildenNilden Member EpicPosts: 3,916
    L O L
    MrMelGibson

"You CAN'T buy ships for RL money." - MaxBacon

"classification of games into MMOs is not by rational reasoning" - nariusseldon

Love Minecraft. And check out my Youtube channel OhCanadaGamer

Try a MUD today at http://www.mudconnect.com/ 

• Tiamat64Tiamat64 Member RarePosts: 1,545
    edited December 2017
    He's going to have to compete with the lawyers for it now.  Good luck!

I found this funny for some reason:

“We understand that this can be frustrating,” said the representative, who wrote under the online handle Azme, “especially when you are wanting to jump in and play as quickly as possible. But you are part of a rare and unique development process and we want you to know that we appreciate your contribution to our project. ... We're happy to provide the refund should you wish, but I wanted to make sure that you are aware of what you will be missing if you decide to continue with your request.”

Hmm, reading the article, he did get 17k of it back so far.  That's like, over 2/3rds.
  • DaranarDaranar Member UncommonPosts: 392
    At $25k it's not longer just a simple refund of a game purchase and this clown should know it.  At $25k you are an investor and you don't just simply pull out your money unless both parties agreed to those terms before the investment.  What a clown, man.   I'm surprised he got 17k back.  That's ridiculous because he certainly could have been playing and using his investment all this time.  You don't pay tuition to a school and after a year or two decide you don't like the direction of the institute and the return on your tuition investment and request all your tuition back.

What the hell is wrong with the world.  When did 'take-backsies' become an adult thing to do on a regular basis?
    GdemamiFrodoFraginskikoodutroa8

If I want a world in which people can purchase success and power with cash, I'll play Real Life. Keep Virtual Worlds Virtual!

• KefoKefo Member EpicPosts: 4,229
    Daranar said:
    At $25k it's not longer just a simple refund of a game purchase and this clown should know it.  At $25k you are an investor and you don't just simply pull out your money unless both parties agreed to those terms before the investment.  What a clown, man.   I'm surprised he got 17k back.  That's ridiculous because he certainly could have been playing and using his investment all this time.  You don't pay tuition to a school and after a year or two decide you don't like the direction of the institute and the return on your tuition investment and request all your tuition back.

What the hell is wrong with the world.  When did 'take-backsies' become an adult thing to do on a regular basis?
    Hate to break it to you but he wasn't even close to being an investor. He essentially paid for a preorder and since the game hasn't been released yet he was well within his rights to request his money back.

"take-backsies" has existed since the dawn of consumer protection laws so it's been a regular thing for a while now.
    EponyxDamorMrMelGibsonBruceYeeFrodoFraginsbwwianakievVrika
    edited December 2017
    Daranar said:
    At $25k it's not longer just a simple refund of a game purchase and this clown should know it.  At $25k you are an investor and you don't just simply pull out your money unless both parties agreed to those terms before the investment. 
    I'm pretty sure you're only legally an investor if you actually get to benefit from the profits somehow (and that's not the only requirement)
    PhaserlightMrMelGibsonFrodoFragins
  • GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    no, he's not an investor, but he is a dumbass
    EponyxDamorMrMelGibsonKefoTiamat64cheyaneForgrimmScotchUpX-MarK
  • MrMelGibsonMrMelGibson Member EpicPosts: 3,033
    Agreed 100%.
    MadFrenchie
  • rpmcmurphyrpmcmurphy Member EpicPosts: 3,502
    edited December 2017

For spending $25,000 on a computer game? Yeah, couldn't agree more.

---

I see the article has been updated with someone else looking to get $16,700 back, they've also been waiting for almost 3 months.
    edited December 2017
    Two more whales trying to get refunds.

$3,000

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen_refunds/comments/7ktsz3/advice_for_refunding_please/

$12,800

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen_refunds/comments/7ku7y0/the_journey_continues/

If you haven't gotten your refund yet, you should get it fast.  The sharks are smelling blood, the (smart) whales are bailing ship, and there probably isn't going to be much left soon.  The refund reddit has lots of helpful advice if you end up getting stonewalled by CiG.    You are legally entitled under pretty much all trade laws in any remotely developed country to your refund.  Go go go!
    MaxBacon
  • ErillionErillion Member EpicPosts: 10,297
    >>> The sharks are smelling blood>>>

= more  grey/black market ship trade speculators that tried to sell LTI pledge ships at highly inflated prices are running, because CIG ruined their trade be re-issuing those ships.

Have fun

MaxBacon
  • sgelsgel Member EpicPosts: 2,197
    Erillion said:
    >>> The sharks are smelling blood>>>

= more  grey/black market ship trade speculators that tried to sell LTI pledge ships at highly inflated prices are running, because CIG ruined their trade be re-issuing those ships.

Have fun

CIG ruined it after enabling it.
    In other words they're trying to clean up their mess.

..Cake..

All the more reason to get your refund and get out ASAP if you backed them and haven't gotten out yet!
    MaxBacon
  • Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Kefo said:
    Hate to break it to you but he wasn't even close to being an investor. He essentially paid for a preorder and since the game hasn't been released yet he was well within his rights to request his money back.

"take-backsies" has existed since the dawn of consumer protection laws so it's been a regular thing for a while now.
    Yeah but $$25K for a preorder? One would think he should have researched things better for such an investment. I agree he should have his money back but what was he thinking?

I thought my $100 into Pantheon was about what I want to put into a game, you get a friggin car for $25K.  If you are 100% sure and have the money fine, but then you wouldn't want your money back.
    klash2def
  • bwwianakievbwwianakiev Member UncommonPosts: 119
    Tiamat64 said:

$3,000

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen_refunds/comments/7ktsz3/advice_for_refunding_please/

$12,800

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen_refunds/comments/7ku7y0/the_journey_continues/

If you haven't gotten your refund yet, you should get it fast.  The sharks are smelling blood, the (smart) whales are bailing ship, and there probably isn't going to be much left soon.  The refund reddit has lots of helpful advice if you end up getting stonewalled by CiG.    You are legally entitled under pretty much all trade laws in any remotely developed country to your refund.  Go go go!
    Most of these are made up by Derek Smart himself lol
  • KefoKefo Member EpicPosts: 4,229
    Tiamat64 said:

$3,000

$12,800

Most of these are made up by Derek Smart himself lol

WalkinGlennPhaserlight
  • MightyUncleanMightyUnclean Member EpicPosts: 3,531
    I haven't even backed this game and I feel like I deserve a refund.
    MadFrenchieTalonsinVrikaklash2defadamlotus75
  • rodarinrodarin Member EpicPosts: 2,611
    I haven't even backed this game and I feel like I deserve a refund.
    the amount of entertainment this dumpster fire has provided over the past 5 years I feel guilty NOT giving them some money.
    MightyUnclean
  • SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
    I didnt know Polygon still had gaming articles from time to time. I couldnt find many and stopped reading years ago. 

interesting though

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

• MinscMinsc Member UncommonPosts: 1,353
    Kefo said:
    Daranar said:

The only thing that would qualify as a pre-order would be the $60 package that includes the single and multiplayer part of the game. Any stand-alone ships or other stuff on top of that. NOT a pre-order but a donation.
  • CalaruilCalaruil Member UncommonPosts: 141
    I once preordered a game for £30 that included beta access (no refund was stated.) The beta was crap and I asked for a refund, was referred to the ToC and told no.

I referee them to UK consumer law relates to internet purchases and mentioned how much it would cost an American firm in legal fees to defend a £30 claim.

Got my refund days later...

now amount doesnt really matter, what matters is that until the goods are delivered you can request a refund.
  • AethaerynAethaeryn Member RarePosts: 3,149
    Daranar said:

I guess when the pay before you getsies thing happened.  Still agree with you though.. . Buyer's remorse only covers so much.  

Wa min God! Se æx on min heafod is!

• TalonsinTalonsin Member EpicPosts: 3,619
    edited December 2017
    Daranar said:

When did it become an adult thing to drop $25,000 on a video game just to play it and not get any ownership in the company? 

I agree the "take-backsies" thing is pretty juvenile but how greedy is the fact that these crowdfunded games offer these kinds of packages without giving any kind of ownership in the company.
    Calaruil
    "Sean (Murray) saying MP will be in the game is not remotely close to evidence that at the point of purchase people thought there was MP in the game."  - SEANMCAD

• BalmongBalmong Member UncommonPosts: 170
    Talonsin said:
    Daranar said:

When did it become an adult thing to drop $25,000 on a video game just to play it and not get any ownership in the company? 

I agree the "take-backsies" thing is pretty juvenile but how greedy is the fact that these crowdfunded games offer these kinds of packages without giving any kind of ownership in the company.
    And why should they give ownership? CIG ship sales are not the stock market, you pledged an amount and got a ship(s) as a reward. CIG never once forced people to buy something, at most you can claim you're a victim of marketing strategies, and to that I say: "Welcome to Western Society". 

A lot of these people who are "speaking out" need to do some introspection, they are in this position based off their decisions. 
  • hfztthfztt Member RarePosts: 1,401
    Balmong said:

A lot of these people who are "speaking out" need to do some introspection, they are in this position based off their decisions. 
    Decisions made on questionable information to say the least.

Any talk about what this game is is a moving target at any given time. "It will support 1000's of players", "It will have a persistent universe", "It is NOT an MMO", "It will be out 2014", "It will out when it is done", "It will have all the features in the Kickstarter list", "it will be released as a MVP", "LTI is explusive for the first wave of backers", "LTI will AGAIN be available..."

Getting solid information on this game is... hard. Do not mock people for failing to do it...
    EponyxDamor
  • HulluckHulluck Member UncommonPosts: 839
     Man if I had $25k to drop it sure wouldn't be on a game unless it was a literal investment.  I'd put $20k away  in savings (A fully dressed new Hellcat motor is $20k), a safety net. Then instantly void the warranty on my car. Not really much I need in life and I'd do it safely with reputable top builders on the Hellcat market that have proven reliable.  Squeezing another 200+ hp out  sounds like more fun. That said some people have more money than they know what to do  with.