Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Your best MMORPG memories.

Cauthon88Cauthon88 Member UncommonPosts: 7
Hi, I love hearing people's memories about their prime MMORPG experiences. I suppose it helps me relive mine. I find that no game today can capture that flare, those vivid and alive prime moments. I'll try to share mine, and would like to hear your best moments.

Name:Daniel
Starting age : 14-15
Year: 2002-2003
Game:Tibia
Top moments(Max 5):
When I first arrived from the starting island, I was a complete newbie. I had no geographical knowledge of cities or hunting grounds. I had heard about this cheap shield called Dwarven Shield, I think it cost only 500 good coins or so. There was a trade chat where people advertised weapons and armors. These were unattainable for me, but they would give me a good boost in defence, 25 defence! That was unheard of. On starter island you had Max 17 or 19. I was excited. So I contacted this person, telling him I was terrible excited to purchase his Shield. Ok he said perfect. Boy was I happy. -The only thing you have to do is to come to Kazoordon. Wait what? What is that? A place? A city somewhere? Darn it. I told him to wait, I'm on my way! So I tried to stall him all I could while running around above ground searching for this Kazoordon. For each minute this guy was getting more aggressive. -Are you wasting my time? -Where are you now? Oh Lord, I thought. I really wanted that shield, but at the same I was pissing this guy off. In the end he started threatening me, I took it personally, like as was gonna come to my home or something. I felt I was pleading guilty to a crime.

I don't remember if I actually got that shield, but I do know I eventually bought one, and boy did it feel sweet using it. 

Me and my friends was out exploring. We came up in this bridge. We saw it had some pesky looking dwarves on it. But courageous guys we were, we ventured up on it. But in the middle of it people panicked. Some went back. I went forward. Some died. After the smoke cleared I was isolated from my friends. That moment forward I hanged around alone in the Dwarven mines private messaging my friends about where they were, and where the heck I was. I told them Dwarven mines. They asked me where the heck is that? I told them, I don't know. It took weeks before we actually saw each other again. 

A friend told me that some guy was to show him cool items, and he wanted me to come with him. So I did, reluctantly. I was a bit scared of strangers. So we went down, level after level in Dwarf Bridge rotworms cave. At the last level, deep in the room the guy started throwing fireballs. I didn't understand first what was happening, but it soon dawned on me that we were in danger. We were racing toward the exit, heart pounding. Silently screaming "Nooooooooo" in my head. We were accidently blocking each other's path. My friend was burning. Health low. At the ladder he dropped, I barely survived. Damn, I thought split between being happy I survived and my best friend dying. Turns out he had 500gp on him which he had saved a long time. He was furious, talked about quitting. It was so surreal. 99% of the time was attacking creatures, looting, staying away from pks. But it made these super real moments possible. 

The Dwarf Bridge dragon. I accidently found it while cautiously exploring. I was level 13. It smoked my ass. I didn't know the concept of dragons, but it seemed very powerful. I was close to quitting the game at this time. I thought perhaps if I take level 17 I can beat it. This started a bad cycle, getting me hooked. Soon I was high enough level to impress my friends even. And that feeling made me keep on playing the game (perhaps sadly). But that first encounter was impressive.

Someone placed a schimitar on the depot and then disconnected. This meant that I and whomever close could take it. So I rushed forth an grabbed it. I then stormed out of the depot hoping that none noticed. After a while I realised that it was worthless and the person probably gave it away. But that day I found my dark side. I could do bad just to get that epic items. Items were extremely hard to get for a noob. People didn't just give away valuable items. 

These memories aren't of epic battles or anything, but they still represent the top experiences I ever had playing games. I played vanilla through and through. Perhaps it's nostalgia, perhaps not. But I believe it can be the small things that represent the biggest experiences for a gamer. It's not the graphics or the magnitude of the experience but the authenticity and heart of it. 

So let hear, what's yours. Thanks for your time.
ScotCanibalolerPhaserlight

Comments

• ElsaboltsElsabolts Member RarePosts: 3,476
    Playing EQ on a dail-up connection in early 2000, made a wood-elf ranger and started out in the tree city of Kethlen I would spawn into a wood building and finally found door, walked out and died, repeted this several times till I finally realized I was falling off the walkway in the tree city. 

Then found the lift and figured out how to operate it and when I got the the bottom of lift and steped off the lift I was killed by a gaint misquito. I was hooked for life afterwards
    AlBQuirkyTinkerBellCommandoCanibalolerUlaf
    " Life Liberty and the Pursuit of Those Who  Would Threaten It "
                                            MAGA
  • Cauthon88Cauthon88 Member UncommonPosts: 7
    So to put it short, some of the most memorable moments for you were the simple stupid setbacks early in a game. I like it. The fact that they put in things that make newbie fail miserable would be unheard of today, what if the newbie would quit? Unfathomable!
  • WarWitchWarWitch Member UncommonPosts: 351
    A Stormy night on the plannet with the night sisters, It was dark so dark, I stealthed up to the largest Rancor on the plannet and tamed him. SWG you will be missed.
    Canibaloler
  • moshramoshra Member RarePosts: 400
    unsubbing WoW... 6 times.
    GameboyMarcCanibaloler
  • AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432
    edited December 2017
    Playing WoW, pre-Cataclysm. I was a Night Elf Druid doing quests around Duskwood. I was chatting with an NPC quest-giver when I noticed another Dark Elf Druid sidle up. Soon, I see the chat box say, "Look! Another of our brethren!" I looked about and saw a squirrel running away.

After finishing the quest dialogue, we started chatting and adventured together, doing the quests there as a team. We became online friends and did quite a lot together.

Eventually, while taking care of some Satyr troubles in Ashenvale, we found that both of us turning into cat form and stealthing to each mob (one in front, one behind), we quickly killed our opponents. Soon, one of us started saying we were "Ninja Kitties!" After that fun afternoon, we decided to create a guild of Druids and called it "Ninja Kitties." We had a great time for the brief time (about 2 or 3 months) before Cataclysm released and killed our guild by gimping class/race specific guilds. We had over 100 Night Elf Druids by the time we folded.

It has always amazed me how a random comment in a local chat box can lead to such fun times. This happened a lot in EvereQuest when I played, too :)

PS: @Elsabolts I remember Kelethin, too. One of my own first characters in EQ was a Half-Elf Bard that started out there. The worst thing was to get drunk (in game) and try navigating that death trap! :lol:
    Canibaloler

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    Have lots, but one memory was leveling my first character in GW2.  I had just made it to Fort Trinity and was around level 74.  I found and followed a dynamic event chain that took me through a few zones all the way to Cathedral of Glorious Victory in Orr and dinging max level along the way.  For the first time leveling a character to max it was a fun experience.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    Zoning into the City of Camelot for the first time in DAoC pre-TOA era.  Awe-inspiring.
    TinkerBellCommandoScotUlaf

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,001
    Cauthon88 said:
    So to put it short, some of the most memorable moments for you were the simple stupid setbacks early in a game. I like it. The fact that they put in things that make newbie fail miserable would be unheard of today, what if the newbie would quit? Unfathomable!
    Yeah, those rough parts were the fun.

Most of mine were in Lineage 2 but that game was far more old school than my next game, Lord of the Rings Online. Not much danger in that. Especially when I saw that there was a troll blocking the road to Rivendell in beta but they later removed that.

1, dying while exploring but spawning in another city. Problem was my map dropped on death so I had to blindly make my way back. Almost died by giant spiders but another player happened by and took them out.

2, sort of similar, I was beign attacked by skeletons and a much higher level dwarf came by and pretty much saved my butt.

3, Seeing my first pvp match from two higher level players who really hated each other.

4, My first pvp kill, a guy who was attacking new players in the new area, I had leveled a bit at that point and arrived to take him out.

5, first siege

6, First Huge siege something like 28 clans vs 32 ish (I think it was more on both sides). Lasted the entire two hours, best siege I was ever a part of.

7, marching up tower of insolence to take out a clan that killed some of our people. Was intense as more and more of us merged into a huge throng.

etc, etc

Really goes to show you that it's the people element that makes mmorpg's.
    AlBQuirky
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432
    Sovrath said:
    Really goes to show you that it's the people element that makes mmorpg's.
    Agreed! And the main reason MMORPGs are no longer "fun" for me. They've stopped being made for players that add to the games instead of consuming and moving on.
    Scot

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081
    When I brook up with my girlfriend I was hart broken.  I couldn't tell anyone, it was my secret.  I decided to buy this game called World of Warcraft. I have no clue how I even knew about it but I wanted it.  I bought a cheap video card and a little more ram and loaded the game. 

So here I was on the island of  Teldrassil  as a night elf Rogue...... The music set the mood of sitting in my dark room with a towel over my head missing my girlfriend.  I spent over a week in this level 1-10 starting island.  I actually make a few friends that had the same intentions of not leaving, we chatted and played together every night.
      Eventually I got on the boat to the mainlands of Darkshore and again, their was a new crowd of new friends, that I played 10-20 for weeks on end... no hurry !  The story goes on, infact gets better.... I was hooked.
  • AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    Taking a beat down in original Everquest from a mob we should have been able to kill, because my buddy accidentally had some sort of knife equipped that related to foraging or whatever instead of his longsword. I laughed for 15 minutes. 
    ScotAlBQuirky

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• kjempffkjempff Member RarePosts: 1,759
    edited December 2017
    One particularly magic moment was in everquest as a newbie grouping at orc hill, a high level druid came by and said "gather around me" and suddenly I was a wolf and no longer a slow wood elf. I had no idea at the time that such a thing was possible, and I ran around giggling, amazed and intrigued for 15 minutes - After that I was hooked on everquest and the mmo dreams of that time.

Another experience would be as an enchanter locking down (keeping mezzed) a huge train of 10+ mobs while a ranja kited and ghetto mezzed (root) others, doing pingpong sitting with cleric, while more adds kept stacking up and the whole group playing up to their maximum skill level - probably took half an hour to clear iall with adrenaline flowing (it wasnot a place you would want to wipe at). After that I got a new appreciation for how much player skill matters in everquest, and that good players (not necessarily just well geared) can manage stuff that would be impossible for others. Of course, many similar situations came in the years after, this one was just very memorable.
    TinkerBellCommandoAlBQuirky
  • GameboyMarcGameboyMarc Member UncommonPosts: 395
    moshra said:
    unsubbing WoW... 6 times.
    I might have you beat.
    TinkerBellCommando

• Quazal.AQuazal.A Member UncommonPosts: 859
    probably 4 main MMO memories. 2 from EvE 2 from Wow

1 - Playing WoW in TBC and being in a guild of just old age friends anything but hardcore, but fighting our way through Karazan long before the nerf, probably took a good 6-8 weeks of failing on prince , getting him down to 2-5% and then having a bad spawn that woudl kill healers and then tanks.. but the first time w downed him, the joy for us .... 
    2 - WoW - Having our Guild Olympics, that involved just silly games, things like creating a new character running to ogrimmar naked, then seeing who could get to Ungoro crater without alts or flight paths, just having good giggles, or the long jump in 1000 needles (long before it had water) seeing how far you could jump from one of the platforms and marking your land-point with your skeleton :)

Then I discovered EvE.

3 - The first PvP battle in the WI battle of ROIR kicking the french out and fightiing in my aweful fit Brutix.. But the shear volume of players all fighting for one cause (attack or defence) then as their systems fell over the coming weeks, locking them in their own station and seeing them spam fiire sales as we slowly took their last home down...... I found a game that managed to provide my pvp fix and full geek on.....
    4 - And probably my most memorable... At time of LOtRO coming onto film first time, was in WI ad the wormholes had just come into game, so me and 5--6 guys head into a WH for some giggles, of course not knowing them properly we jumped in and as the guys are still jumping in the hole closed, leaving us inside and the scout outside...
    We we all in ((at time )) relatively expensive ships... thinking our only escape to pod ourselves and lose both ships and implants, we decided to fly about, just shouting in local for help, when we got an answer from some dude... he offered to show us a exit to another null sec system for 50 (or 100) mill to him that was a lot of money,,,... thinking it was a trap with nothing left to lose , we decided to trust the guy.... he did follow through but as we jump into the other null sec we were about 80 jumps from home... but within 3/4 jumps we met a blue fleet who were on manoeuvres in enemy (goons) territory we just joined that.. .ended up fighting in ((at that time our largest ever fleet fight) having a good laugh all night.
    I often likened it at time to the LOTR storyline, group of friends going out, meeting a large army and fighting evil (goons)

Scot

This post is all my opinion, but I welcome debate on anything i have put, however, personal slander / name calling belongs in game where of course you're welcome to call me names im often found lounging about in EvE online.
    Use this code for 21days trial in eve online https://secure.eveonline.com/trial/?invc=d385aff2-794a-44a4-96f1-3967ccf6d720&action=buddy

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,952
    edited December 2017
    Cauthon88 said:
    You have summed up in a nutshell why MMO developers decided it all had to changed. Were they right well in terms of getting the biggest playerbase, well yes; but in terms of keeping long term players, then no.

You remember the hard stuff, the difficulties, the triumphs that take weeks or months to accomplish. What you don't remember is this: Move (Ding!), Move again (Ding!), Kill something (Ding! Ding! Ding!), stay on for an hour (Stoic Gamer Trophy! DING!).
    AmatheAlBQuirky
  • CanibalolerCanibaloler Member UncommonPosts: 136
      All started back in August 2005 as I can remember. I was in college and heard a lot stories about this new game "World of Warcraft" from friends and my teacher also. I was Hyped AF since I loved already Blizzards North games like Warcraft 3, Diablo 2 and Lord of Destruction. I had my birthday as and my girlfriend thought it was good idea to buy me as present this "World of Warcraft" game that I was talking about all the time. 

She didn't know of course.. She didn't know that this little box of 60 dollars could change my life.. She didn't know that for the rest 10 years this is gonna be my precious addiction. She didn't know that this is gonna lead to our divorce..  

And so it happened.. 

I cant forget my 1st class ever was a Tauren druid. I was so excited to be this huge character in game and have also magical powers. Specially when I reached Crossroads for 1st time. I 've seen the battle between Alliance and Horde while there was also high lvl players helping us to defeat them. FOR THE HORDE I yelled for 1st time in real life before I get ganked by high lvl Alliance in Crossroads. This was also the 1st in game place that I met lot of other players, made friends and got me into a guild. amazing moments that I will always remember.

Since then I tried many times in different mmos to find the same feeling but without success..
    I don't know.. Maybe it was the age, maybe the timing.. who knows.. Probably I'm getting old and that's all.. 

Those was my memories and many more that I will never forget and wanted to share :)      
    Scot
  • Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749
    I find it funny that most of those in the posts are combat-related... maybe just me but I prefer the rpg side of the genre, not to mention the lore, writing and the community :wink:

Hard to pick the best ones, there's a lot. If I narrow it down to one per game, in my current mains:
    LotRO: my first Weatherstock (after Turbine took over Eu from Codies, before that we couldn't play on Turbine servers)
    STO: that's easy, when the first planet approach Nimoy started to speak... hooked right away.
    AoC: when noticed that NPCs react differently and can even deny quests from you if they don't like you... (was changed of course, they aimed at the wow players so they had to put all those into flavour and conversations became meaningless)

Speaking of AoC, Elsa I was a bit surprised your favourite memory is not a bar brawl in Hyboria :sunglasses:
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,952
    edited December 2017
    Here are some things I will simply never forget:

Losing my great helm in AC, I think it was a hand me down from a member of my guild. I died and it was nicked by another player, ran around the area to find them, slagged them off in local chat.

Also in AC, I lost a few items which I had put down for another character to pick up as a mule. They were nicked but I saw the guys name and sent him a message. He was not bothered, thought it was fair game. But I could see what guild he was in, contacted the guild leader. Got everything back with an apology.

Attending a wedding in DAOC and WoW, great events.

Weekly guild meetings where players would turn up in the guild tower/room/inn or whatever. This was back in the day where MMOs were large enough and had areas where other players would not always be running past you as you had your meeting. It was in Rifts a good MMO, that what I knew was coming materialised, there was no player free space.

Discussing adventures in local chat and in the inn of Hobbiton, Hobbit players were always careful to explain how they had accidently walked into an adventure, no Hobbit of good standing would dream of going on an adventure.

Just goes on and on, but if we take new "MMOs" like Marvel heroes all I can remember is talking about comics in the lobby. Todays MMORPG's don't live up to the old ones in terms of community, and these other so called MMO's only have a community in the lobby.

What we remember are interactions with other players, and group efforts. That's why todays games are not as memorable. I will say that some FPS multiplayer team games have been as memorable, for different reasons, for the team not the community.

Post edited by Scot on
    Canibaloler
  • sgelsgel Member EpicPosts: 2,197
    Flying with Black Legion in Eve under Elo Knight & other FCs during their prime.
    Nothing else has even come close to how awesome that experience was.

Pings all day every day.
    Ride together die together.
    Pizza bros best bros.
    USA in local!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4H-jHKbWeIw

..Cake..

• AAAMEOWAAAMEOW Member RarePosts: 1,605
    priston tale:  I looted a knight sword while farming in a group.  In priston tale I think there is a general courtesy to share class specific loot with others if your class can't use it.  I didn't do that because my thought process is I can trade the knight sword for a barbarian axe...  That don't went well, I become the most hated person on the server and everywhere I grind people'll try lure mobs to kill me.

Atlantica Online:  I think one of the guild leader meet another guild leader in real life, fall in love and move in together... I'm not sure of the authentication of the story, but it is funny.

My best memory usually involve community or server drama.  I think when you have a small tide community people form bond, stories, and drama.  When population become too large or everything goes cross server, people stop forming bond with each other, because most people you met you'll never see each other again.