Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

this or XIV for a duo

2»

Comments

• CelciusCelcius Member RarePosts: 1,865
    edited December 2017
    Oh yeah btw @Soki123 ESO is on sale right now for 10$ on Steam and so is the first expansion (Morrowind) for 20$. You could probably skip on the expansion and wait for a new sale as it is not necessary and you will likely take so long to get through the other content that you would be ready for it next time it goes on sale. ESO has a sub that you could probably skip out on if you want. They let you pick what content you want to buy or you can just pay the sub to get access to everything short of the expansion. The sub perks other then all the DLC are all pretty unnecessary. I personally am a sub on / sub off guy. I sub for a few months, and cancel when it dies down a bit. Doing this I can still play and pickup some of the DLCs with the crowns (in store currency) you get for free with the sub. I have a few DLCs unlocked that I can play whenever, without the sub. I have a couple "completed" enough so I don't need to own them anymore. 

FF14 is 60$ with the expansion. Base game is 20$. (obviously have to buy it to play the game past a certain point) You could wait a little bit as getting through the entire base game may take a while, but you would have to stop at the first expansion to buy Stormblood. (it comes with Heavensward) Also there is a mandatory sub in FF14. 
  • AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    I'd say ESO simply because you can start and stop anytime you want. You can also get the eso sub which lets you experience all the dlcs and gives you crowns to help purchase the ones you want etc.
    MrMelGibson
  • KajidourdenKajidourden Member EpicPosts: 3,030
    Iselin said:
    People tell you in ESO you can have all the variety you want. You will quickly learn it is all about cookie cutter builds...
    No it is not.

... and moving from one quest to the next ticking off boxes.
    No it is not.

There really is no difference between the two.
    There's no difference between apples and oranges either. I mean, both are fruits, right?
    Highly disagree on the first contention Jean-Luc.  There is no debating that the meta in ESO is a runaway train.

I've never played a game where the meta performs 200% better than any other build.  

Most games have a meta that outperforms everything else by 5-10%. 

In ESO  not running a meta build is just plain stupid, as you're making your life considerably harder for no reason.

It doesn't help that the devs design around that as the benchmark either.
    The thing about ESO is that you can really screw up a build if you don't know what you're doing and there is nothing in the game that will hold your hand and steer you in a proper build direction.

You can, if you want, stack magicka, wear heavy armor with a + fire damage set bonus, and use a bow on both bars if you want. THAT build will definitely be 200% less efficient as DPS as a meta stamina or meta magicka DPS build.

But if we're going to talk about meta vs. another competent, well-designed build done by knowledgeable players you would see the same 5-10% you see in other games... other games which by the way, do most of the heavy lifting for you by locking you into classes that give you  100% of your abilities and preventing you from using the wrong armor or weapon. Some of that armor and weapons even gives you different stats depending on which class is wearing it to further protect you from screwing things up.

ESO gives you the freedom to totally mess up builds and some players do just that. Other players however just get creative and come up with niche single purpose builds constantly.

I have recently leveled and played deliberate non-meta PVE builds that work pretty damn well such as a bow/bow stamden and a S&B/DW stamsorc high damage tank to name just a couple.

Here's an example of a very unique non-meta Sorc PVP build I just ran into a couple of days ago:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=2&v=x6QY_B-PKNY

What ESO excels at is letting creative and knowledgeable players experiment and come up with stuff like that.
    So nearly double the DPS is 5-10% now?  Ok. 25 vs 50k.

https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/372270/bow-bow-average-dps/p2
    IselinYashaX
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    edited December 2017
    Iselin said:
    People tell you in ESO you can have all the variety you want. You will quickly learn it is all about cookie cutter builds...
    No it is not.

No it is not.

There's no difference between apples and oranges either. I mean, both are fruits, right?
    Highly disagree on the first contention Jean-Luc.  There is no debating that the meta in ESO is a runaway train.

I've never played a game where the meta performs 200% better than any other build.  

In ESO  not running a meta build is just plain stupid, as you're making your life considerably harder for no reason.

The thing about ESO is that you can really screw up a build if you don't know what you're doing and there is nothing in the game that will hold your hand and steer you in a proper build direction.

You can, if you want, stack magicka, wear heavy armor with a + fire damage set bonus, and use a bow on both bars if you want. THAT build will definitely be 200% less efficient as DPS as a meta stamina or meta magicka DPS build.

But if we're going to talk about meta vs. another competent, well-designed build done by knowledgeable players you would see the same 5-10% you see in other games... other games which by the way, do most of the heavy lifting for you by locking you into classes that give you  100% of your abilities and preventing you from using the wrong armor or weapon. Some of that armor and weapons even gives you different stats depending on which class is wearing it to further protect you from screwing things up.

ESO gives you the freedom to totally mess up builds and some players do just that. Other players however just get creative and come up with niche single purpose builds constantly.

I have recently leveled and played deliberate non-meta PVE builds that work pretty damn well such as a bow/bow stamden and a S&B/DW stamsorc high damage tank to name just a couple.

Here's an example of a very unique non-meta Sorc PVP build I just ran into a couple of days ago:

What ESO excels at is letting creative and knowledgeable players experiment and come up with stuff like that.

https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/372270/bow-bow-average-dps/p2
    Try this one instead of what random forum dude says: https://alcasthq.com/eso-stamina-warden-bow-build-pve/

It's a perfectly viable trials build.

But if what you're talking about is picking random weapons, match them up with random armor and use random stats allocations with a random class and random race and somehow end-up within 10% of carefully hand-picked best of the best combinations, no, that ain't never going to happen in ESO.

You really don't need to read any further than my first paragraph in my earlier post to know why:

YashaXMrMelGibson
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• YashaXYashaX Member EpicPosts: 3,098
    Darksworm said:
    ESO for sure.  FFXIV has too much personal instancing and you have to be playing ONLY together at the exact same time for it to be worthwhile.

If either of you does anything that the other doesn't you are going to have to wait for them to catch up or vice versa.

Also: you will have a SHITLOAD of crappy fetch quests from expansion filler to do in order to get to the populated areas.

Source: Played with my wife.

The bulk of your gameplay in those games is spent at max end game levels running dungeons, raids, and other comparable content.

You act like there aren't a shit ton of fetch quests in ESO, and like the game doesn't send you across the world to do some of the most mundane, trivial things.

The game is even set up so that you basically play through every faction's quest grind...  So you're probably going to do a ton more worthless quests in ESO than you have to do while leveling up in WoW of FFXIV - especially considering the Champion Point system in ESO.

I cannot understand this criticism of FFXIV, especially from an ESO player (or anything trying to push ESO over it).  ESO is as much a quest hub factory game as WoW or FFXIV - even more so, IMO.  There are even a bunch of boring quests on Cyrodil, when you get there...

You can basically do whatever you want in ESO. I can level a toon causally in a week without doing one quest, I can spend my whole time in the RVR pvp area, do dungeons, pick whatever quest I want in any area of the world, spend my whole time crafting and gathering, wander around the world exploring new areas, or I can choose to do the on the rails quest grind.

Whatever I choose, I can pretty much play it with my mates no matter what level they are. In many ways its about as different from the WoW/FF14 mold as a game can be while still being in the same genre.
    [Deleted User]IselinKajidourden
  • JudgeUKJudgeUK Member RarePosts: 1,676
    If you wanted to try FFXIV, play the free trial.
    YashaX said:
    Darksworm said:
    ESO for sure.  FFXIV has too much personal instancing and you have to be playing ONLY together at the exact same time for it to be worthwhile.

If either of you does anything that the other doesn't you are going to have to wait for them to catch up or vice versa.

Also: you will have a SHITLOAD of crappy fetch quests from expansion filler to do in order to get to the populated areas.

The bulk of your gameplay in those games is spent at max end game levels running dungeons, raids, and other comparable content.

You act like there aren't a shit ton of fetch quests in ESO, and like the game doesn't send you across the world to do some of the most mundane, trivial things.

The game is even set up so that you basically play through every faction's quest grind...  So you're probably going to do a ton more worthless quests in ESO than you have to do while leveling up in WoW of FFXIV - especially considering the Champion Point system in ESO.

I cannot understand this criticism of FFXIV, especially from an ESO player (or anything trying to push ESO over it).  ESO is as much a quest hub factory game as WoW or FFXIV - even more so, IMO.  There are even a bunch of boring quests on Cyrodil, when you get there...

You can basically do whatever you want in ESO. I can level a toon causally in a week without doing one quest, I can spend my whole time in the RVR pvp area, do dungeons, pick whatever quest I want in any area of the world, spend my whole time crafting and gathering, wander around the world exploring new areas, or I can choose to do the on the rails quest grind.

Whatever I choose, I can pretty much play it with my mates no matter what level they are. In many ways its about as different from the WoW/FF14 mold as a game can be while still being in the same genre.
    This.  ESO is FAR far more flexible.  Just a shame about the absolute shit balance.  
    ScotchUp
    Iselin said:
    Iselin said:
    No it is not.

No it is not.

Try this one instead of what random forum dude says: https://alcasthq.com/eso-stamina-warden-bow-build-pve/

But if what you're talking about is picking random weapons, match them up with random armor and use random stats allocations with a random class and random race and somehow end-up within 10% of carefully hand-picked best of the best combinations, no, that ain't never going to happen in ESO.

You really don't need to read any further than my first paragraph in my earlier post to know why:

So your solution is that exactly ONE build works?  Which btw still isn't shit compared to a melee equivalent with gear/skill.

Bravo, much freedom, DEFINITELY no cookie cutter builds when you have to build ONE way....lol
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Iselin said:
    Iselin said:
    No it is not.

No it is not.

So your solution is that exactly ONE build works?  Which btw still isn't shit compared to a melee equivalent with gear/skill.

Bravo, much freedom, DEFINITELY no cookie cutter builds when you have to build ONE way....lol
    No. That's your solution because apparently you feel inadequate unless you have the officially certified best DPS build of the month. You even seemed to miss the point that a bow/bow build can be made competitive if done right.

I have sympathy for those who get so wrapped up in maxing their DPS to such an extent that they get tunnel vision.

You don't even seem to realize that what you want is a system that gives you 10 or 15 developer-made, hard-locked, foolproof, classes tuned to be within 10% of each other. There are plenty of other theme parks that already give you that. ESO isn't one of them.

YashaXMrMelGibson
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    edited December 2017
    Right now strongest duo game would be FFXI because you can use decently strong npc's to fill your party and if a Beastmaster duo or one BST stronger yet.

I currently reside on a f2p FFXI server and get 1 npc to aid which is actually a strong npc.So even then would have a 4some as a duo.

EQ2 has sort of Henchmen,can't remember what they are called,but are also powerful and can add 1 each,so as a duo would have a team of 4 ,but you could try and play 2 accounts for an added buffer.

I don't think you can go too far in FFXIV as a duo,maybe possibly since i have not played it in a long time but i remember needing that 3some for an early dungeon but of course if can find help your set.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

YashaX said:
    Darksworm said:

This.  ESO is FAR far more flexible.  Just a shame about the absolute shit balance.  
    In the content I play the balance is fairly good (it mainly comes down to quality of gear and CP). In fact, theory crafting builds is one of the main focuses of my guild, and I seem to spend quite a lot of time in this skill builder (linking here because its awesome http://en.uesp.net/wiki/Special:EsoBuildEditor). If there was just one super best meta build we would all be using that!

For example, what is best in slot now for a magikca dk in pvp? Are we still in the heavy armour meta, or is light back in the spotlight due to fortified brass? How do I get that sweet balance of damage vs sustain and survivability? Should I use bloodspawn, grothdarr, valkyn, or some other monster set? How about traits? Can I go all sturdy to try and "perma block" or will the lack of impen mean I'll get blown up by crits?

And that is only a fraction of what is involved in thinking about builds, you still have stats, enchants, CP allocation, skills, passives to consider; or whether you are playing large group/small group/solo. 

What other modern mmo gives you this much choice and build diversity? The main limitation I have is lack of money to gold out gear, space to keep all these different and totally viable sets, and time to test them out in combat!
  • DarkswormDarksworm Member RarePosts: 1,081
    edited February 2018
    Scorchien said:
    Scorchien said:
    Darksworm said:

Wrong.

You literally have to be in lock step with your duo partner in FFXIV or it turns into a shitshow.  ESO is FAR more flexible.
      This is not true , as one toon in FF14 can do all jobs.. Sooo  , when your friend /other is not on you can lvl  any of 10 other Jobs/Classes without effecting the class you are leveling with a friend/other .. So completly false info here ..
      Also to add you may find it benficial to lvl an other class to try out with your friend/other//

But on point for the OP , both games are good and either would work .. Just see which one you and your friend like better ..
    So you're just going to ignore quests that are mandatory to do then?  Ok...

If you're playing together with someone on FFXIV you can't play without the other person unless you want to waste a bunch of time waiting for them to catch up to you, or you follow them around repeating the same quests with them you've already done.

OH!  And by the way you can't share quests so you will literally follow them around and just help kill shit and get nothing for it.

I played FFXIV for YEARS, get out of here with that dumb shit.
    Not true at all....  you can lvl any other Job with out doing those quests .. You would think you know that , .. beings you have played for years ..

So if you are leveling a Bard with your Maurder friend /  and you both are at X point of MSQ .. and your friend isnt not on you switch to your  class Red Mage and can Lvl Roulette /Levemettes /Fates .. etc.. and never ever ever veer  off the course (of the StoryLine) with your friend ....As you then switch back to your lvl appropriate story appropriate Bard that you have been playing with your friend.. This process  will unlock Job related skills that would be beneficial to your main class also ... also helping you fund your main and alt jobs in seals and gil...

But i digress

It really very simple for anyone that has experience with FF14
    Yeah, you can make no progress in the one thing that prevents you from moving closer to endgame, brilliant!

You're being ridiculous.

The point is that you can play the same character, using a different job, to enjoy the game without messing up your duo-progression with the player you're leveling with.  It makes complete sense.  It's like using an alt, except you don't have to switch toons.

FFXIV handles this much better than ESO.  You never have to worry about out-leveling or out-progressing your friend on your character because you can simply switch jobs and do other stuff, and not do the story quest; without having to manage multiple characters.

FFXIV also has PC/Console cross play for those people who have a PC and PS4.  You can have oen person play on the PS4 and one on the PC.  ESO doesn't have this capability, and it is - IMO - a huge selling point for FFXIV (you need a pretty decent PC to get/maintain 1080p/60FPS at high settings in that game - at least a GTX 1050ti or 1060 (or AMD equivalent) on top of a 6th/7th Gen i5/i7).

What I will say is that FFXIV is fairly old school in its combat.  The GCD is insane and combat is based on mechanical openers and rotations that pretty much need to be executed in a set sequence - some of these are pretty intense, as well.  Mess it up, and your DPS isn't going to be that amazing.  Pet classes like Scholar and Summoner are quit clunky to play.  You have to manually manage/cast the pet skills, etc.  You need a LOT of buttons to play this game.
    Darksworm said:
    Scorchien said:
    Scorchien said:
    Darksworm said:

Wrong.

You literally have to be in lock step with your duo partner in FFXIV or it turns into a shitshow.  ESO is FAR more flexible.
      This is not true , as one toon in FF14 can do all jobs.. Sooo  , when your friend /other is not on you can lvl  any of 10 other Jobs/Classes without effecting the class you are leveling with a friend/other .. So completly false info here ..
      Also to add you may find it benficial to lvl an other class to try out with your friend/other//

But on point for the OP , both games are good and either would work .. Just see which one you and your friend like better ..

If you're playing together with someone on FFXIV you can't play without the other person unless you want to waste a bunch of time waiting for them to catch up to you, or you follow them around repeating the same quests with them you've already done.

OH!  And by the way you can't share quests so you will literally follow them around and just help kill shit and get nothing for it.

Not true at all....  you can lvl any other Job with out doing those quests .. You would think you know that , .. beings you have played for years ..

So if you are leveling a Bard with your Maurder friend /  and you both are at X point of MSQ .. and your friend isnt not on you switch to your  class Red Mage and can Lvl Roulette /Levemettes /Fates .. etc.. and never ever ever veer  off the course (of the StoryLine) with your friend ....As you then switch back to your lvl appropriate story appropriate Bard that you have been playing with your friend.. This process  will unlock Job related skills that would be beneficial to your main class also ... also helping you fund your main and alt jobs in seals and gil...

But i digress

Yeah, you can make no progress in the one thing that prevents you from moving closer to endgame, brilliant!

You're being ridiculous.

The point is that you can play the same character, using a different job, to enjoy the game without messing up your duo-progression with the player you're leveling with.  It makes complete sense.  It's like using an alt, except you don't have to switch toons.

FFXIV handles this much better than ESO.  You never have to worry about out-leveling or out-progressing your friend on your character because you can simply switch jobs and do other stuff, and not do the story quest; without having to manage multiple characters.

Sounds like you are letting your dislike of ESO get the better of you. ESO is undoubtedly better for people who want to play together but are at different levels, mainly because of the way scaling works. 
    Darksworm said:
    Scorchien said:
    Scorchien said:
    Darksworm said:

Wrong.

But i digress

You're being ridiculous.

FFXIV also has PC/Console cross play for those people who have a PC and PS4.  You can have oen person play on the PS4 and one on the PC.  ESO doesn't have this capability, and it is - IMO - a huge selling point for FFXIV (you need a pretty decent PC to get/maintain 1080p/60FPS at high settings in that game - at least a GTX 1050ti or 1060 (or AMD equivalent) on top of a 6th/7th Gen i5/i7).

What I will say is that FFXIV is fairly old school in its combat.  The GCD is insane and combat is based on mechanical openers and rotations that pretty much need to be executed in a set sequence - some of these are pretty intense, as well.  Mess it up, and your DPS isn't going to be that amazing.  Pet classes like Scholar and Summoner are quit clunky to play.  You have to manually manage/cast the pet skills, etc.  You need a LOT of buttons to play this game.

Again, until you finish the story doing anything else is just stupid.  It unlocks EVERYthing.
  • DarkswormDarksworm Member RarePosts: 1,081
    I think most people are well aware that the story unlocks everything in FFXIV.  However, you can still level other classes in the unlocked content you have access to if you play more than the other person you're leveling with.  This is the point.  We know it unlocks EVERYthing.  That's besides the point, and is really not related - at all - to what I've stated.

To the person above you...  The way scaling works in ESO is of no consequence, because you can simply switch over to a different job in FFXIV, and it doesn't have to deal with quest phasing, etc. which can affect the gameplay negatively in comparison to games like WoW, EQ2, or FFXIV.  The only thing that is annoying in FFXIV is the massive amount of cut scenes you may not be interested in, but the other person may want to sit through.

I think FFXIV is a better game for a duo, especially of casual players.  The game is specifically tailored for that type of market, IMO, moreso than ESO.  If you're PvE-oriented, then FFXIV is the better game, easily.

I think ESO is better if these people have end-game PvP aspirations.  This is the Achilles heel of FFXIV.  The PvP there is pretty tragic (EQ2-level), IMHO.

That's assuming no other options are on the table.

Again, I think some people are making this into rocket science, when it isn't.  If you're leveling with someone and you play more than them in FFXIV, then you simply switch OFF of the job you're leveling with them onto an alternate job and catch it up.  There are like 20 jobs in FFXIV.  You will never run out of stuff to do in the other person's downtime.

The MSQ will basically level cap a job for that expansion, so being ahead or behind in levels really is not a factor in FFXIV.  What matters is not hte levels, but the actual progression in that quest line - so scaling is a complete non-factor.  Also, most dungeons will Sync you to a specific Level or iLevel, anyways.

You will hit the cap easily just working through the MSQ and maybe a few side quests.  I haven't done any of the quests in Lochs (last Stormblood Quest Zone) and I hit level 70 on my Summoner/Scholar.  I hit 70 before even finishing the MSQ (before the extended portion added in 4.2).  It's ridiculously easy to level there.  The game basically gifts you levels.  The hard part is staying awake to trudge through the MSQ.  Even though you're mainly just running from place to place and clicking through dialog/cut scenes, it feels incredibly grindy to me.

FFXIV also has preferred servers with a 50% XP boost to 60.  You also get a massive XP boost for all of your jobs that are lower level than your highest job, so it's worth it to use the other person's off-time to get some progress on them.  Being able to switch jobs on the same character is one of the best things about the gameplay in the game.