Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The game should run on a toaster

delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081
It's true, try and please everyone and you can loose them all. 

BUT most players have low end computers (look at World of Warcraft and GuildWars 2). 
I may stand alone on this but I like lots of players, at least a million or two.

Comments

• bartoni33bartoni33 Member RarePosts: 2,044
    edited December 2017
    Damn, they make toasters with video screens now? Jeez Louise! I've seen Bluetooth Crockpots but that's crazy. Android I guess? Seems like it would be easier to just bring your Laptop into the kitchen.

EDIT: I can see the draw in making a game that runs on low-end computers but I still need my Ultra settings thank you!
    AllerleirauhMouloxtos85ThebeastttSnackMasterBRimefang

Bartoni's Law definition: As an Internet discussion grows volatile, the probability of a comparison involving Donald Trump approaches 1.

• delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081
    bartoni33 said:
    Damn, they make toasters with video screens now? Jeez Louise! I've seen Bluetooth Crockpots but that's crazy. Android I guess? Seems like it would be easier to just bring your Laptop into the kitchen.

EDIT: I can see the draw in making a game that runs on low-end computers but I still need my Ultra settings thank you!

Best part of a toaster, is you get toast too..... Think about it !
    bartoni33ThebeastttSnackMasterBbeebop500
  • bartoni33bartoni33 Member RarePosts: 2,044
    bartoni33 said:

A USB powered toaster would be better though. You could use your closed laptop as a table.
    SnackMasterB

Bartoni's Law definition: As an Internet discussion grows volatile, the probability of a comparison involving Donald Trump approaches 1.

• krulerkruler Member UncommonPosts: 589
    My PC has a full buffet option, (vid card) toaster...(CPU) deep fat frier and of course (CD tray) cocktails area.
    I was going to go for a chips thing but that was so 80's, as it was the cd tray was kinda pushing that anyways.

kruler said:
    My PC has a full buffet option, (vid card) toaster...(CPU) deep fat frier and of course (CD tray) cocktails area.
    I was going to go for a chips thing but that was so 80's, as it was the cd tray was kinda pushing that anyways.

I wish I had time to respond but I'm expecting a call on the dish washer :)
    Ungood
  • AllerleirauhAllerleirauh Member UncommonPosts: 496
    "The game should run on a toaster" Should or could? lol
    ThebeastttHachlath
    Currently Playing: Path of Exile

"I have found a desire within myself that no experience in this world can satisfy; the most probable explanation is that I was made for another world." ~ C. S. Lewis
  • AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    Yeah, most people do have to admit that one of the appeals to wow in the early days was that it could run on almost anything. So incase you needed a new pc, you could probably run it on any 300$ machine that you could find in walmart without breaking the bank.
  • kertinkertin Member UncommonPosts: 259
    it's not only about how low end PC's could run WoW so well, just look how smooth WoW felt with those animations, combat, just everything, those animations and optimization is the reason why ppl rather play WoW, even these days, lots of if not every MMO is nowhere near those WoW smooth standards! Devs should realize that nice and fast animations and optimizaton is more than half way to success :), you don't need to trust me but that's just it.

let's take MOBA's - LoL, Dota or SMITE - all those games are so smooth, look at those animations in LoL and Dota, so quick, responsive, no wonder those games are so successful.

look at CS:GO, Overwatch - boom, again so smooth and silky!

Like who whould like to play unoptimized, clunky, not responsive games? pff..

Even very successful PUBG which seems to be still quite unoptimized does feel well while playing...

and Pantheon? I can already smell how clunky this game will be, I want Pantheon to be great game but it won't happen, it can do just well but it will be nowhere to being successful :)...with their engine they won't be probably able to make it smooth and silky!

YES! First, it's all about being SMOOTH and SILKY!
    KyleranThebeastttTheScavengerdcutbi001MrMelGibson
  • MensurMensur Member EpicPosts: 1,507
    this game is on pre alpha give them a break man....
    GameboyMarcKiori001

mmorpg junkie since 1999

edited December 2017
    kertin said:
    it's not only about how low end PC's could run WoW so well, just look how smooth WoW felt with those animations, combat, just everything, those animations and optimization is the reason why ppl rather play WoW, even these days, lots of if not every MMO is nowhere near those WoW smooth standards! Devs should realize that nice and fast animations and optimizaton is more than half way to success :), you don't need to trust me but that's just it.

let's take MOBA's - LoL, Dota or SMITE - all those games are so smooth, look at those animations in LoL and Dota, so quick, responsive, no wonder those games are so successful.

Even very successful PUBG which seems to be still quite unoptimized does feel well while playing...

and Pantheon? I can already smell how clunky this game will be, I want Pantheon to be great game but it won't happen, it can do just well but it will be nowhere to being successful :)...with their engine they won't be probably able to make it smooth and silky!

Can't argue this Optimized is everything.  

People expecting to play video games SHOULD REALIZE theirs a point where you better have a computer better than that $300 Walmart Laptop..... Your examples are proof that millions can play and play well.  In other words, if you want to play games you have to pay at the very least a reasonable sum or don't complain. And many have.

I'm not familiar with ALL your examples, but the ones I know are well designed cartoons if people could wrap their heads around that statement, and not going for the realistic look. 

and Pantheon?...... I have deep concerns that people don't seem to want to talk about !
  • svannsvann Member RarePosts: 2,230
    by your command..
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435
    edited December 2017
    kertin said:

Maybe for shaving, but not for gaming...I never played WOW or any other game for such reasons. Must be a console gamer thing...

It is true, if designed to lower end computers it broadens the available player base, which seems to be a smart business move.  As Vanguard suffered by failing to take this into account I suspect Brad won't repeat the same mustake.

Whether he will be able to optimise gameplay for all levels of hardware (or any?) remains to be seen.

ConstantineMerusAzaron_NightbladeMrMelGibson

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• ConstantineMerusConstantineMerus Member EpicPosts: 3,338
    I read the title "should run this game toasted" then I read the post and got more confused. Tells a lot about my current state, eh?
    MrMelGibsonKyleran
    Constantine, The Console Poster

• "One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out of touch with their instinctive selves." - Carl Jung
  • XthosXthos Member UncommonPosts: 2,739
    edited December 2017
     Sorry, but if they make a silky smooth optimized game that is like all this other p2w garbage, it may do well, but I am not interested, and a lot of people that are interested in the game they say they are making will not be interested.  That isn't to say if it had superb animations and such, that it wouldn't be better, but that isn't what I am personally looking for.

I like their ideas, if the finished product runs as well as Vanguard did later, I would be fine with it.  Vanguard is one of my favorite mmorpgs still, it is probably top 5, and I personally only played WoW beta, and didn't like the content/function.  I thought it was too watered down/easy, and I didn't like the classes I tried.  I didn't like GW2 for also the same reasons.

If you think you need a supremely optimized game, with animations as good as what you say pretty much only WoW in mmorpgs has, then I will ferret out that this isn't probably going to be for you.  I cannot tell fortunes, but they are a indie team basically, so those types of expectations seem a little lofty maybe.  Solid content, with good classes, starting areas and pretty good animations/game play are more realistic (that is where I am hoping, but that all depends on continued/new funding probably).  

People hated the animations in Secret World, I hate quest hubs and such, but I actually like the quests/stories and such in Secret World, so it is a game that content was greater than it being silky smooth....The big problem was that they stopped being as creative with additional content, and replaced it with more grind/repetition, but no one has made a mmorpg that I have seen that has kept pace in many expansions, with the storyline type stuff they were doing.

So optimization/smooth animations are in there, I do not place as high a priority on them as some of the other posters.  I enjoyed UO 2D, and if EA hadn't basically remade the whole game design, I would probably still enjoy playing it (still have here and there, but I hate the new skill system, not the graphics).
  • Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    First of all, it takes a lot of more work to make a game that both runs fine on old computers and look good.

Secondly, a game with somewhat realistic style like Pantheon will start to look dated very fast unless it looks very good at launch.

And you mention Wow and GW2, both those engines were originally coded by Jeff Strain (he didn't work on either until completion) and he is a genius, you don't find people like that easily. Also, both those games have a more cartoony style then Pantheon which uses less resources.

So in choosing between a rather ugly game that will be dated fast or a game that demands a gaming computer at launch I still rather have the more demanding one. They shouldn't go too far with it so only the highest end can play but if a 3 year old gaming computer can run it without stuttering I am happy.

In a perfect world VR would get a master lead programmer but those people are in high demand and is very expensive so I doubt VRs is one unless Brad really pulled some strings. I am happy with just good instead of master, we seen what poor does in cases like Vanguard.
    ConstantineMerusAzaron_NightbladeMrMelGibson
    Kyleran said:
    kertin said:

Maybe for shaving, but not for gaming...I never played WOW or any other game for such reasons. Must be a console gamer thing...

It is true, if designed to lower end computers it broadens the available player base, which seems to be a smart business move.  As Vanguard suffered by failing to take this into account I suspect Brad won't repeat the same mustake.

Whether he will be able to optimise gameplay for all levels of hardware (or any?) remains to be seen.

If you take gaming globally (don't know what word to use for this), you know I'm right...it's not coincidence that those games i named are so successful. Do you know what those game have common? Exactly all I said. :). So yeah, maybe older folks here won't agree with me, that's fine, but I'm just right. So all, Pantheon can achieve is that the game will do just fine at most, mark my words. If Pantheon focuses only on ppl like you, good then. But if they want to be Pantheon huge, too late, they have no chance, not even those awesome ideas they want to implement won't help...

Devs should take notes from Blizzard on how to make smooth and silky games :)

MrMelGibson
  • ThebeastttThebeasttt Member RarePosts: 1,130
    Hate to break it to you all but Pantheon graphics are already dated, let alone when/if it launches in 2 years.
    Azaron_Nightblade
  • SavageHorizonSavageHorizon Member EpicPosts: 3,466
    Hate to break it to you all but Pantheon graphics are already dated, let alone when/if it launches in 2 years.

Hate to break it to you but I don't give a fuck, I'll still play it like anyone who is looking forward to this game will. 
    Kiori001

• advokat666advokat666 Member UncommonPosts: 93
    Maybe BF2 should have told you that graphics is not everything
  • BeezerbeezBeezerbeez Member UncommonPosts: 302
    bartoni33 said:

I wish there were bacon toasters. 
    MrMelGibson
  • JunglecharlyJunglecharly Member UncommonPosts: 167
    edited December 2017
    Mega Major Giveaway by Jungle2jungle.org

The new toaster pc  has  a lot of new features but the most important is that you never have to get up from your super gaming chair for food. Fresh baked toast along with your favorite micro carrots all right next to you. Be a pro today!

Sit,enjoy, eat. Repeat process. Fitter-healthier-more productive. This chicken will not be raw!

NOTE: The lottery is only open for residents of my neighborhood.

First winner gets this gaming chair along with the mega toaster price!

MrMelGibson
  • DullahanDullahan Member EpicPosts: 4,536
    edited December 2017
    kertin said:

The PUBG line was where you lost me, and contrary to your thesis. The game is objectively about as clunky as it gets, yet people still play it. Especially prior to 1.0 before you could actually step over or vault walls or tiny steps, you got stuck on everything. The hit detection is often poor, constant rubberbanding in the early game, character models look and move generically (like stock assets/animations) and performance is laughable for a game that looks a decade behind the graphical standard.

So why do millions play PUBG? Because it offers something unique, much like Pantheon will. This isn't an excuse for Pantheon to have poor graphics or animations -  the mmorpg is a different genre where those details are actually more important - but it shows if the game is unique and enjoyable, people will excuse it.

edited December 2017
    Dullahan said:
    kertin said:

The PUBG line was where you lost me, and contrary to your thesis. The game is objectively about as clunky as it gets, yet people still play it. Especially prior to 1.0 before you could actually step over or vault walls or tiny steps, you got stuck on everything. The hit detection is often poor, constant rubberbanding in the early game, character models look and move generically (like stock assets/animations) and performance is laughable for a game that looks a decade behind the graphical standard.

So why do millions play PUBG? Because it offers something unique, much like Pantheon will. This isn't an excuse for Pantheon to have poor graphics or animations -  the mmorpg is a different genre where those details are actually more important - but it shows if the game is unique and enjoyable, people will excuse it.
    Look, as I said, PUBG does feel well while playing, I don't know how to explain it but PUBG just plays really well, it's really not that bad as you say but I agree 1.0 brought lots of problems, which can be and very probably will be solved. Pantheon's problems won't be solved, trust me, you say Pantheon is unique thus gets lots of players? Nooo, that's not how it works. Pantheon will get just enough players to do fine. 

Now look at Fortnite, smooth and silky, there are already more than 1million concurrent players and still growing. Do you know why? Yeah - smooth and silky!

But again, I agree PUBG is quite arguable, but the game plays well, imo :)

Just deal with it that my thesis is cool. You can even look on the most popular games on Twitch, there are only smooth and silky games on top almost all the time! Some exceptions can occur from time to time but overall it's all about smooth and silky!

I'm just good at this. I played LoL in closed beta, I said it'll be more successful than Dota 2, my friends thought I'm crazy, look at LoL last years, boom! I said Path of Exile will be more successful than Diablo when i played in Closed beta where there were like 2 acts only, I was considered crazy again and now look at Path of Exile! I'm just literally GOD at this! Like gimme new game in closed beta, all I need is like one week of testing and I'm able to tell if game has potential to be big or if it ll fail...I'm like human filter for gaming which works!

Fun or interesting facts: I'm gonna play Pantheon too! I predicted Path of Exile will be more successful than Diablo even I'm fan of Blizzard and Diablo series! :) So it's not like I'm some blind Blizzard fanboy
    Post edited by kertin on
    kertin said:
    Dullahan said:
    kertin said:

Look, as I said, PUBG does feel well while playing, I don't know how to explain it but PUBG just plays really well, it's really not that bad as you say but I agree 1.0 brought lots of problems, which can be and very probably will be solved. Pantheon's problems won't be solved, trust me, you say Pantheon is unique thus gets lots of players? Nooo, that's not how it works. Pantheon will get just enough players to do fine. 

Now look at Fortnite, smooth and silky, there are already more than 1million concurrent players and still growing. Do you know why? Yeah - smooth and silky!

But again, I agree PUBG is quite arguable, but the game plays well, imo :)

Just deal with it that my thesis is cool. You can even look on the most popular games on Twitch, there are only smooth and silky games on top almost all the time! Some exceptions can occur from time to time but overall it's all about smooth and silky!

I'm just good at this. I played LoL in closed beta, I said it'll be more successful than Dota 2, my friends thought I'm crazy, look at LoL last years, boom! I said Path of Exile will be more successful than Diablo when i played in Closed beta where there were like 2 acts only, I was considered crazy again and now look at Path of Exile! I'm just literally GOD at this! Like gimme new game in closed beta, all I need is like one week of testing and I'm able to tell if game has potential to be big or if it ll fail...I'm like human filter for gaming which works!

Fun or interesting facts: I'm gonna play Pantheon too! I predicted Path of Exile will be more successful than Diablo even I'm fan of Blizzard and Diablo series! :) So it's not like I'm some blind Blizzard fanboy
    I love it....... You say, I'm just literally GOD at this!  :)  

I would say I'm pretty good at this too.  

I would like to say Pantheon will be big.  At this point mmorpg's need to be re-invented, and Pantheon will do it......... Providing they don't screw up the smooth and silky and from my observation it looks like they will with choppy and chunky.  

I really get a kick out of " I'm just literally GOD at this ".... I really do, that's more bold than something I would say :) 
    kertinAzaron_Nightblade
  • DullahanDullahan Member EpicPosts: 4,536
    kertin said:
    Dullahan said:
    kertin said:

Except it became wildly popular when it operated and performed horribly. Don't get me wrong, I'm totally addicted to PUBG, but I can maintain my objectivity. Before 1.0 I couldn't even bring myself to play it due to all the issues with movement, hit detection, rubberbanding and poor performance.

CoD feels good, CS feels good, BF feels good, Overwatch looks smooth (haven't played) ... PUBG feels mediocre to this day, even if 1.0 improved everything (except rubberbanding). Yet people still play it. That is 100% because it offers something different. Soon as a triple A quality version comes out from someone else, pubg will die overnight.

What "Pantheon problems" won't be solved exactly? The game is in pre-alpha and has solved many of these problems during development up to this point. Things are only going to get better, so even asserting what will or won't be solved at this point is foolish.