Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The next big hit?

Will this be the next game to surpass one million subscribers? In my opinion it definately got the potential to do so. Funcom seems to give MMO fans exactly what they want in this game and the graphics look simply fantastic.

I'm not too sure if this game will become very successful in Asia, but if it does I think it could even capture the throne from World of Warcraft. What do you guys think? Age of Conan the next big hit?

Comments

• JacobinJacobin Member RarePosts: 1,009

I am really looking forward to the game, but I doubt it will surpass WoW. Blizzard already had a huge fanbase and well established franchise that few other companies can come close to.

Conan has the whole dark violent world going for it which I think sets it apart from most other fantasy titles. However, the main thing that I am excited about is the combat system. If funcom can pull off what it promises, intense direct player controlled action combat, then it could attract a lot of gamers who are tired of the point, click, watch and stats driven system that virtually every major fantasy game employs.

• NeymozeNeymoze Member Posts: 9

I think this game will totally own World of Wacraft.
    With this nice Graphics and stuff that looks MUCH better than world of warcraft.
    They come with a stupid expansion with some new races and flyable mounts?? lol???
    Only flyable in outlands, and with the stupid races, everybody will take blood elf and stuff.

Nah, I play wow for now but i bet this game will be much better, I hope they make a good PvP system in it. the headcutting stuff and the controling of your character does me think about fable.
    However the world of "Conan" is really big, so I bet this will be one of the biggest mmorpg's ever:D

• DhaemanDhaeman Member Posts: 531
    I am looking forward to the complete package this game is offering and believe it will be quite an entertaining MMORPG. But over a million subscribers? I believe WoW is the only western world originated MMORPG to break that mark and due the mature content found in this game I can't imagine it will even get close to that subscription count. Not to mention the market is just getting that much more competitive as time passes by. I would say this game peaks around 180,000 subs within 2-3 years of release. But that really depends on FunCom delivering a product that meets its promise at release date a little better than Anarchy Online did. We can all hope they learned their mistake from the first flop and see a successful Age of Conan release.
  • SiftSift Member Posts: 258

I am also looking to get into this game so long as my life settles down a bit lol. But theres no way in hell this game or any other coming out will beat WoW. No other company out there has a rep like Blizzard . And thats not to say that this can't be a better game it just has no chance in hell at getting more people then Blizzard. The only ones that could beat WoW is a Diablo or Starcraft MMO lol. Blizzard can sell games based off of being Blizzard, hell that went for me, I pre ordered the game before I played it just knowing it would be good and it was and although I dont play anymore I don't regret it, it was fun. The only other company I could ever do that for was WestWood but now that, thats gone =(

I hope this game does well and I hope Funcom does a good job, im a little unsure about getting this game after playing past Funcom games but that doesn't mean Im not going to give this game a chance. Im loving the dark feel. And Thank the lord a company finnaly isnt shying away from mature content I think I can handle it lol.

• LustmordLustmord Member UncommonPosts: 1,114

Nah, this game could beat WoW.

There was once a time when EQ was King, afterall..

My bet is on either Age of Conan or Warhammer Online to be the next champ.

Both have franchise following and corporate money behind them, and their building on lessons learned from WoW.

WAR(warhammer online) for example, is rumored to have more of a PvP/RvR focus than WoW.

I think WoW is going to bleed customers over the next couple years, because they are going the EQ PvE Route and barely paying attention to their pvp customers.

But people are getting tired of the 40 man dungeon zerg to farm for gear that will make you look exactly like everyone else in your class tier.

Im just not seeing it and thats not to say I hope it doesn't happen because I hope does. Pluss WoW is showing no signs of slowing, even with all the people going its not a good game they just hit 6 million lol. AoC is limiting due to the nature of the game, I know people that dont want to try it just because of the Conan name.

I also want to see what Warhammer is doing because thats another game I could see myself joining.

Im also not seeing the buzz that WoW had around any game coming out right now.

• LustmordLustmord Member UncommonPosts: 1,114

WoW is a great game lvls 1-59, but imo it's plagued by poor development decisions in the endgame..

Read their forums and you'll see the majority of posters are really getting fed up with it all.

I still have an active account with WoW but I don't even playing.. Looking for my PvP Solution.

WoW could be #1 for a long time to come, but to do that they will have to fix the broken Honor System, and the High End Dungeon Lock-Out Cock Block that divides the community.

These forums are always filled with pissed off people. the people that are happy with the game really don't care what others think of the game. I have never seen a level based MMO where people didnt think the endgame content was not up to snuff. Its just that end game content... All they are hoping is that its enough to keep you there till they release the next expansion pack.

• HyborianHeroHyborianHero Member Posts: 33

Unfortunately the last big name MMORPG to be released that placed it's strengths in a revolutionary combat system and a wealth of background material to draw from was The Matrix Online.

I hardly think anyone can consider that a success. Maybe SOE should be calling FC now and save them the long distance fees.

• FrakkasFrakkas Member Posts: 5
    Its way to early to make any estimates on the numbers of subscribers. Its even hard to make a guesstimate at teh moment.
  • DaBearmanDaBearman Member Posts: 52
    lol sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but this is going to be a game centered around guilds with no factions. That right there means this game is going to be a small game when compared to the major games out there and a couple of others in development. GG FC, you're screwing the pooch on one of the best opportunities a game company has had.
  • DreamfallFanDreamfallFan Member Posts: 2

I think this game has enormous potential. It surley looks amazing. The trailers and teaser pictures looks Da Bomb.

To see the game pass the 1 mill mark would be amazing. and I for one is rooting for that to happen.

I can't wait to play the game.

For now Funcom fans can try out Freamfall wich also looks awsome (17 April).

Cheers

• DabbleDabble Member Posts: 1,043

Originally posted by DaBearman
    lol sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but this is going to be a game centered around guilds with no factions. That right there means this game is going to be a small game when compared to the major games out there and a couple of others in development. GG FC, you're screwing the pooch on one of the best opportunities a game company has had.

Yes, I predict if you dont like raiding, this game will not be for you.  

• XeniusXenius Member Posts: 25
    I think this game can beat 1 million mark. but it doesnt have to do it. EVE online dont have that many players and that game seems to be doing just fine :)

and uhm. is it just me or is Warhammer online just a reskinned version of wow ? from the pictures ive seen it looks like the WHO team broke into Blizzard HQ and stole the code for wow. so far it has not bin able to make me want to play it. AoC i am very much wanting to play. it seems to have everything an MMO needs.

/random rants of a confused mind

Fish of tommorow

• anduzanduz Member Posts: 46
    I don't think AoC will be able to attract nor substain as much of the mmorpg community as world of warcraft has because it's going to allow the player much more individual freedom and though it saddens me to say so it seems that freedom and thus responsibility isn't what attracts most mmorpg'ers in this day and age.

Eve-online is a perfect example of a really wonderful mmorpg that isn't albe to attract millions upon millions of customers because the extend of it's freedom makes it harder to play. Eve-online wont place you safely in a predefined faction with 1500 "friends and it certainly won't pick you up and nuture you when you fall. On the other hand it will give you the ability to create player controlled factions and alliances who go to war over territory or geniue disagreements. It'll also mix up the general pveplayer/miner/trader/crafter with player pirates who attack other players and steal their loot and merchs/bounty hunters who can be hired to kill players or protect your shipments, all great things that can never happen in a strict game like wow.

AoC will be somewhere in between world of warcraft and eve-online and my guess is that the playerbase will be the same, in between.

Originally posted by Xenius
    and uhm. is it just me or is Warhammer online just a reskinned version of wow ? from the pictures ive seen it looks like the WHO team broke into Blizzard HQ and stole the code for wow.

Maybe you should read up on just when the warhammer and warcraft universes were created before you make a silly statement like that, and while you are at it you might want to compare warhammer 40.000 with starcraft aswell.

Aside from that, warhammer online seems to be delivering the best RvR content to this date which is nice though I'd much rather have a FFA game.
  • AceundorAceundor Member Posts: 482

IMO AoC will have difficulties reaching the 6 mill mark. But I do beleive that it will become a hit and attrackt a large player base (1mill +).

The ammount of MMO players out there is growing dramatically and people will choose their MMO based on preferences. If you like elves and cartoons you might want to go with WOW but if you want some more mature content (and a more mature playerbase) you might want to give AoC a try.

Then comes the gameplay elements. If you prefer easy combat systems you may want WOW, if you want sophisticated combat systems you may go for AoC. etc. Also keep in mind that WOW will be 2 years old when AoC is released . People will be looking for something new.

In addition Funcom will have learned a lot from WOW and their previous MMO Anarchy Online. This makes me beleive that their new game will be a hit.

Originally posted by BishopB:

Are a lot of the trolls just angry kids with old gaming hardware?

Funcom defenetly have their fans from previous games but it's nothing near what Blizzard has and make no mistake, world of warcraft sold first and foremost because it was a Blizzard game build on a well known brand. Blizzard sales have been reaching millions for several years now and a lot of players who started their mmorpg experiences with Blizzard will also end their journey in that fold.

We can all hope they'll get a lot of subscripers but before world of warcraft breaking a million was completely unheard of in our part of the world so I'd have to see it before I belive it.
  • XeniusXenius Member Posts: 25

and uhm. is it just me or is Warhammer online just a reskinned version of wow ? from the pictures ive seen it looks like the WHO team broke into Blizzard HQ and stole the code for wow.

Maybe you should read up on just when the warhammer and warcraft universes were created before you make a silly statement like that, and while you are at it you might want to compare warhammer 40.000 with starcraft aswell.

Aside from that, warhammer online seems to be delivering the best RvR content to this date which is nice though I'd much rather have a FFA game.

it can still be a reskinned wow even if the "lore" or whatever is diffrent :P  the grafics etc.. + orcs & dwarfs from wow looks better then the ones in WHO :) would have though when they stole the code, that they would atleast up the gfx abit

Fish of tommorow

it can still be a reskinned wow even if the "lore" or whatever is diffrent :P  the grafics etc.. + orcs & dwarfs from wow looks better then the ones in WHO :) would have though when they stole the code, that they would atleast up the gfx abit

My point wasn't that the lore/looks/races were different but that Blizzard was heavily "inspired" by the warhammer universes when they created both the starcraft and the warcraft universe.
  • Wildboy91Wildboy91 Member Posts: 2

Graphics are nice, PvP system is strange, but i hope it will work.

This game has change and i think AoC will have over 1 million players, but it's easier to say when beta starts.

• cheggelundcheggelund Member UncommonPosts: 91
    I think that the WoW subscription numbers are 'unreal'. It will be very hard for any MMO to beat those. I did a write up on my blog about a realistic goal for AoC:

http://aocha.blogspot.com/2006/05/mmo-subscription-numbers-and-aoc.html

Now I hope for AoC to beat my expectations. Much it will be dependent on the launch. It needs to be smooth, and relatively bug free (thinking back to the AO launch here).

-Chegg

• OldManFunkOldManFunk Member Posts: 894

Originally posted by anduz

Eve-online is a perfect example of a really wonderful mmorpg that isn't albe to attract millions upon millions of customers because the extend of it's freedom makes it harder to play.

I'm one of the billions of people who don't play EVE. My reasons for not playing EVE have nothing to do with how open the game is or how harsh the PvP is. Some of the reasons that I don't like EVE are EVE's skill system, buggy and somewhat dated client, the fact that you can't ever leave your ship, and extraordinarily long and boring travel times.

I see a lot of what I liked about EVE in Age of Conan. I also see a lot of what I liked about other MMOs in Conan as well.

I'm sure I'll find something that I don't like about AoC once I've had a chance to play it, but for now AoC looks like a very promising and somewhat revolutionary MMO.

Anyway, the point I wanted to make is that I feel as if many people who liked EVE but hated its skill system, space theme, or other oddities will be interested in AoC. And depending on how AoC does its player controlled and contested structures, AoC may also appeal to people who liked SB, DAoC or had hoped that Dark And Light had been more than what it ended up being.

I guess AoC has me hyped because AoC seems to promise an awful lot of game features that I am interested in and seems to be much further in production than similar games with similar promises.

I think that more people will be hyped about AoC once the word gets out that the game isn't some cheap, reskinned EQ-clone where everyone tries to act like Arnold.

Of course the proof is in the pudding... but as far as hype goes, AoC has a lot to offer.

• ObiyerObiyer Member Posts: 511

Originally posted by cheggelund
    I think that the WoW subscription numbers are 'unreal'. It will be very hard for any MMO to beat those. I did a write up on my blog about a realistic goal for AoC:http://aocha.blogspot.com/2006/05/mmo-subscription-numbers-and-aoc.htmlNow I hope for AoC to beat my expectations. Much it will be dependent on the launch. It needs to be smooth, and relatively bug free (thinking back to the AO launch here).-Chegg

The blog was a good read Cheggelund. You spoke about the mature rating briefly. It might pose as a hindrance to AoC's subscription numbers. Many conservative politicians in the U.S. already have knives at the throat of the gaming industry quickly blaming the developers for any incident involving a criminal with video games. I don't know if AoC will be released before the mid-term elections but if it is expect both parties in the United States to take sterner views against in-game violence. It might affect AoC's subscription rates if lenient parents feel socially pressured to stop their 14-16 year olds from playing the game. However, looking at the AoC forums it quickly turns into a non-issue. Most members are in their twenties or thirties. Overall I agree with all the points you made in the blog.

• cheggelundcheggelund Member UncommonPosts: 91

Obiyer,

thanks for the feedback.

I think that AoC will be more a niche game than WoW, but in many ways that is also its strength. Many of my friends are looking for games with a more mature player base, and more mature content. There is a large group of gamers like that out there, and hopefully AoC will capture a lrage percentage of them.

-Chegg

• dominitdominit Member Posts: 64
    After seing the class architypes on the offical AoC website i think this game has the potential to be the next big hit , and the guild class idea's are very interesting