Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Oh no they didn't

KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435
Oh yes they did. I happened to look at MOPs Best Indie Game of the Year voting,  and while the editor's made a wise choice,  seems the voting by the player's got skewed a bit by some grassroot canvassing. 

https://chroniclesofelyria.com/forum/topic/23123/vote-for-coe

In all fairness, fans of Dual Universe did likewise.

https://board.dualthegame.com/index.php?/topic/12579-massively-ops-best-indiecrowdfunded-mmo-game-of-2017/

Fans for other notables such as CU, Pantheon, Ashes are no shows atm.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

MadFrenchieConstantineMerusYashaX

Comments

• ConstantineMerusConstantineMerus Member EpicPosts: 3,338
    You've done it again Bond! That's why the ladies wanna be you and the men want to be with you. :grimace:
    SBFordOctagon7711MikehaJamesGoblinKyleran
    Constantine, The Console Poster

• "One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out of touch with their instinctive selves." - Carl Jung
    I checked the CoE's thread, it doesn't encourage anyone to vote for CoE, just announcing the vote. I don't understand the issue here, what am I missing? 

• "One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out of touch with their instinctive selves." - Carl Jung
  • GaladournGaladourn Member RarePosts: 1,813
    tbf, that's common practice, I remember Darkfall fans doing it too.
    SBFord
  • CalaruilCalaruil Member UncommonPosts: 141
    You've done it again Bond! That's why the ladies wanna be you and the men want to be with you. :grimace:
    See the thread title.

But saying that I don't see the issue, it's vote for your own favorite and as the massivelyop staff state it's just for fun.
    Although surely it should only count released games for it to be favorite of the year???
    SBFordKyleranYashaX
    Calaruil said:
    See the thread title.

But saying that I don't see the issue, it's vote for your own favorite and as the massivelyop staff state it's just for fun.
    Although surely it should only count released games for it to be favorite of the year???
    That's what I'm asking. No one said go vote for CoE. They just announced such vote is going on. Was the thread made by the staff? Encouraged in any way? Those are my questions :)

Sorry I can't answer your questions all I was saying the title says "Vote for CoE"
    PhryKyleran
  • Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    You can't really make a vote on the net without some people or devs trying to promote their choice. And yes, Cala, only released games should really be able to be favorite of the year. I guess they let it slide because so few things actually released recently.
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,827
    Games which are not out yet should be disqualified. If there is not a big enough Indie pool for the award, there should be no award until there is. 
    BLNXSlapshot1188Kyleran
  • SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
    edited December 2017
    In any open polling situation this happens. It's not that big a deal. In fact, I believe I saw something similar on the FFXIV Facebook page not all that long ago. * shrugs * If the community managers care enough to bother to inform their community about the vote, they should. Not everyone haunts gaming websites.

Much ado about absolutely nothing.

Edit: Yep, I was right. 

BLNXOctagon7711IselinimmodiumJamesGoblinYashaX

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,947
    My favorite part is that their Discord is full of people who actually and honestly believe that MOP are so anti-CoE that they are switching votes from CoE to DualUniverse.   This isn't just 1 person or one discussion.  It's a constant theme over the last day.

I mean, do they even stop to think about how crazy that sounds?   
    Kyleran

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• DleatherusDleatherus Member UncommonPosts: 168
    edited December 2017
    regardless of which game a community is passionate about, i see nothing wrong with any studio making their respective community aware that such a vote is currently going on, nor that its community rallies their members to participate

in the end it's the individual that chooses which game to select their vote for

mountains being made out of molehills for no real reason in my opinion

EDIT: the "Vote for CoE" thread was created by a member, not a dev
    SBFordCalaruilKyleran
  • pantaropantaro Member RarePosts: 515
    edited December 2017
    i'm seriously having a hard time thinking of any game that doesn't ask their community to do this,i see it like everywhere. but just for @Kyleran Camelot Unchained would always get my number 1 vote!
    SBFord
    regardless of which game a community is passionate about, i see nothing wrong with any studio making their respective community aware that such a vote is currently going on, nor that its community rallies their members to participate

in the end it's the individual that chooses which game to select their vote for

mountains being made out of molehills for no real reason in my opinion

EDIT: the "Vote for CoE" thread was created by a member, not a dev
    Yeah, to a large extent I kind of agree.  I think the main issues I have are:
    • These contests are supposed to be for the site's community.  It's kind of like stuffing a bus full of people and driving to a polling station in another area to vote in an election.  I think the simple solution is to require an account to vote (I think they may?) and only allow accounts created prior to the day of the poll to vote.
    • How can something be the best indie game when it isn't a game yet?  This isn't unique to CoE as many (maybe most?) of those games are not released, but I mean.. nobody except maybe a few dozen people have even played any bit of CoE.  It's not even in real Alpha yet.  So again I would put them down for "Most hoped for" or something like that... but best game of 2017?  Huh?
    As I said, I thought the whole conspiracy theory part (MOP was switching votes from CoE to DU) was more humorous.

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

edited December 2017
    Yeah, to a large extent I kind of agree.  I think the main issues I have are:
    • These contests are supposed to be for the site's community.  It's kind of like stuffing a bus full of people and driving to a polling station in another area to vote in an election.  I think the simple solution is to require an account to vote (I think they may?) and only allow accounts created prior to the day of the poll to vote.
    • How can something be the best indie game when it isn't a game yet?  This isn't unique to CoE as many (maybe most?) of those games are not released, but I mean.. nobody except maybe a few dozen people have even played any bit of CoE.  It's not even in real Alpha yet.  So again I would put them down for "Most hoped for" or something like that... but best game of 2017?  Huh?
    As I said, I thought the whole conspiracy theory part (MOP was switching votes from CoE to DU) was more humorous.

i'd agree with the stuffing the bus full of people analogy - but i put the onus of that on the gaming site that creates the poll, rather than on any studio (and/or its community) for responding to it

having only members who joined BEFORE the poll vote is something i fully agree with also

also agree it should be in a category of "game in development you are currently most hyped about" - because in the end that's all the poll shows

it would help prevent the whole meta that we see taking place on a number of gaming sites and the resulting skewing of the results  

i was more amused at folks here jumping on it in the manner they did lol
    Slapshot1188ConstantineMerus
    See... it so refreshing to have someone rational to have actual, unemotional discussions with!  As I said in the other thread I really hope you stick around.

You're a much better representative of the CoE community than your predecessors on here  :)

They also have a "Most likely to flop in 2018.

Sadly there is no :All the above option so I am torn.  Leaning CoE but so many to pick from...

http://massivelyop.com/2017/12/23/massively-ops-best-of-2017-awards-most-likely-to-flop/
    BLNX

They also have a "Most likely to flop in 2018.

Sadly there is no :All the above option so I am torn.  Leaning CoE but so many to pick from...

http://massivelyop.com/2017/12/23/massively-ops-best-of-2017-awards-most-likely-to-flop/
    well, we're bound to have differing opinions on a number of CoE related issues but i'm good with that

i'm secure in my reasons for why i backed CoE substantially, and realize that what for me might be valid reasons might be totally ridiculous reasons for others - i'm good with that - it's my money i made  decision about, not theirs

so for me having non-toxic but disagreeing discussions will either not change my opinion, reinforce it, or start to question it

many folks seemingly can't discuss opposing opinions regarding religion, politics, which game they support etc in a healthy manner because they take it as a personal attack

Slapshot1188ConstantineMerus
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    All of this would mean that i care what some site or a few of it's employees think about games.

I might read articles and soak up what is spewed out,doesn't mean i believe any of it or really care.

I know how games are made,i know every last inch,i also know what i am looking at,so why would i care what someone else thinks?

COE is simply a game that like MOST in last couple years ,bursts onto the scene via marketing and vies to get people to give them free money.Then like many if not enough money rolling in,stoop to lower standards and start the p2w phase.

IMO NONE ,not one single game using cash shops should be supported,they are crooked scum trying to bait and lure people in trying to grab UNFAIR/UNJUST amounts of money.They pray on stupidity and the naive.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• JacobinJacobin Member RarePosts: 1,009
    Welcome to MMOs where people argue about which on paper feature list is the best product.
    ScotYashaX
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    All it takes is one overly-caffeinated (over-eggnogged?) community manager to put the call out to vote. I've seen it happen in every MMO be it a real one or a pipe dream.
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435
    edited December 2017
    SBFord said:
    In any open polling situation this happens. It's not that big a deal. In fact, I believe I saw something similar on the FFXIV Facebook page not all that long ago. * shrugs * If the community managers care enough to bother to inform their community about the vote, they should. Not everyone haunts gaming websites.

Much ado about absolutely nothing.

Edit: Yep, I was right. 

Speaking of "nothing" you may note Massively has the stones to include it as a choice on their polls.

Will MMORPG do the same for their Reader's Choice awards this year?

Hmm?

(This thread was actually a trap, I only went to MOP to confirm they offered such a choice. Thanks for walking right in.)

B)
    BLNX

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435
    pantaro said:
    i'm seriously having a hard time thinking of any game that doesn't ask their community to do this,i see it like everywhere. but just for @Kyleran Camelot Unchained would always get my number 1 vote!
    Yet it would appear even today only fans of two or three games are doing this.

Insecurity issues perhaps? Desperation?

;)

• BLNXBLNX Member UncommonPosts: 275
    edited December 2017
    Kyleran said:
    Oh yes they did. I happened to look at MOPs Best Indie Game of the Year voting,  and while the editor's made a wise choice,  seems the voting by the player's got skewed a bit by some grassroot canvassing. 

https://board.dualthegame.com/index.php?/topic/12579-massively-ops-best-indiecrowdfunded-mmo-game-of-2017/

I don't really care about the voting itself, but how could it be "Best Indie Game of the Year"? As far as I know, it hasn't been released this year, so it couldn't be the best of the year, and it's not playable yet, so it's not a game... so... "Best Indie ____ of the ____". 

EDIT - Best Indie Preorder of the Decade?
    In the King's Court, I choose to be the Jester.
    BLNX said:
    Kyleran said:

I don't really care about the voting itself, but how could it be "Best Indie Game of the Year"? As far as I know, it hasn't been released this year, so it couldn't be the best of the year, and it's not playable yet, so it's not a game... so... "Best Indie ____ of the ____". 

EDIT - Best Indie Preorder of the Decade?
    I said that above, the list should only include games that have already been released.

If you want to include games in development make it:
    Best game concepts in development. 
    Kyleran