Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Developer seems frustrated that publishers don't understand CoE's appeal

Comments

• DakeruDakeru Member EpicPosts: 3,802
    edited December 2017
    BruceYee said:
    @Slapshot, we all know your opinion already, you have made it quite clear. *Shrugs* However, I didn't post for your benefit, but rather for others that might not be familiar with CoE
    Everyone here is at least 60-80% familiar with CoE unrealistic timelines, under funding, over promising and attacks against naysayers either by backers or the main man himself.

How on earth could they not find a publisher with all that stuff no one is familiar with?
    An interesting tidbit has come to my attention.  This is what Caspien has told his fans:

“We’re a crowdfunded game – at least for the moment. That means that our revenue stream is based on community sentiment. When people go around the internet discouraging others from being interested in our game, or intentionally creating skeptics, they’re attacking us directly, and making it more difficult for us to complete the game. That’s not beneficial to anyone. That – is what I refer to as a Harbinger. Someone who, for whatever reason, intentionally or unintentionally is sewing seeds of doubt, mistrust, and skepticism in others. Doing so doesn’t benefit anyone, least of all those of us who are here working hard to make this game – both developers and the community.

“So what I was discussing on Discord the other day was for you guys, the community, to shut down such behavior. We can’t be everywhere at once, nor does it look good for us to try and discourage such behavior. But we can encourage you guys to shut down such behavior. Remind people that it’s perfectly fine to be skeptical.. but to try and spread the skepticism is bad.”

WTF?  Hey, you want to come try and "shut down" skeptics be my guest. But at least have the balls to do it yourself and not hide by saying it would look bad for you so you hope others do your dirty work.

PS: As someone who appreciates The Princess Bride:

Caspien: Harbinger
    Me: You keep using that word.  I do not think it means what you think it means.

I think the best part is that a harbinger is actually someone who is a prophet and foretells what is to come.   I'll wear that badge proudly.  
    Let's be honest - that's nothing different than cultist behavior.
    The cult leader talks about the nonbelievers which have to be stopped and the cultists jump in.

Remember that one line by Ordanska where he was mad that he wasn't getting any praise despite his hard efforts?
    Must be painful to do the master's bidding without gaining his favor.
    Harbinger of Fools
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,505
    I like it. Being called a "harbinger" (of doom I presume)  has a much better ring to it than the usual name calling, critic, troll, hater etc.

Do we get to wear hooded black robes or something?

;)

Slapshot1188JamesGoblin

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• BLNXBLNX Member UncommonPosts: 275
    @Slapshot1188 Didn't work for me, sorry. I'll look into it though now, I'm interested. Thank you for bringing it to my attention.
    In the King's Court, I choose to be the Jester.
  • Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,985
    Kyleran said:
    I like it. Being called a "harbinger" (of doom I presume)  has a much better ring to it than the usual name calling, critic, troll, hater etc.

;)

Maybe we can charge some admission fee.  Sell $10 Harbinger tokens or something...
    JamesGoblin

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

Kyleran said:

;)

Maybe we can charge some admission fee.  Sell $10 Harbinger tokens or something...
    Now you are doing it right, start off with a cash shop item...

;)

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

Kyleran said:

;)

Sometimes I feel like being on this forum is like playing a round of Throne of Lies.
    http://store.steampowered.com/app/595280/Throne_of_Lies_The_Online_Game_of_Deceit/

I guess though from the game's perspective we would actually be "The Cult" though.
    Harbinger of Fools
    We’d like to clarify a few things: it’s not unreasonable to be skeptical about our game, no one is saying otherwise, and you should definitely form your own opinion about Chronicles of Elyria. Everyone has their own perspective, and sharing those opinions in a healthy, constructive way is good for the industry!
    Source: "Chronicles of Elyria" comment from http://massivelyop.com/2017/12/22/chronicles-of-elyria-allegedly-struggles-to-find-a-publisher-enables-store-gifting-and-battles-harbingers/

"When people go around the internet discouraging others from being interested in our game, or intentionally creating skeptics, they’re attacking us directly, and making it more difficult for us to complete the game...

So what I was discussing on Discord the other day was for you guys, the community, to shut down such behavior."

Now that is some spin...
    Slapshot1188JamesGoblin
    edited December 2017
    Like I said above:  Hey, you want to come try and "shut down" skeptics be my guest. But at least have the balls to do it yourself and not hide by saying it would look bad for you so you hope others do your dirty work.

I had my battles with @Renfail from SoL but he did it himself.  As a result I grew to respect the Dude.  Think he's crazy  :)  but I think we grew some mutual respect. I can't imagine him saying that it would look bad for him to come argue a point so maybe someone else could do it for him.
    YashaX

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    Kyleran said:

;)

Stop being coy.

No direct purchases.  Loot boxes with a small CHANCE to receive a membership, hooded robe (separate but required for membership), maybe a title or two....
    Slapshot1188BLNXKyleranYashaXJamesGoblin

I'm starting to get a little annoyed:

Drake Ordanska

and if I remember correctly on the last article a whole line of thread got deleted due to either you or another in the CoE hating camp stooping to personal attacks.

Your camp is no better, the only difference is in the Coe forums people are shown friendship especially those that are new to the game.

I mean what other communities do you know that buy pledge packs for strangers?

Source: "Drake Ordanska" from http://massivelyop.com/2017/12/22/chronicles-of-elyria-allegedly-struggles-to-find-a-publisher-enables-store-gifting-and-battles-harbingers/

This is an argument I've seen both here and on that site, and it seems like this whole "buy the package for other people" is little more than a chip to play when people talk about negativity within the community.

It's a little revolting to see people try to use charity (as nonsensical as it is in this context) to buy goodwill for a game.

I'm not going to link the thread because it seems it was closed after some heated discussion, but if I had to speculate, the current 60 dollars a month they are receiving with no updates after the first post explaining they got money for one package leads me to believe it was all a marketing ploy anyway, hoping a journalism site would pick it up.

Of course I can't prove anything when it comes to "The Elyrian Assistance Program", but at the moment it all looks suspect considering what was said.

As a final note, wouldn't the best way to combat what was said would be to use an overwhelmingly positive demeanor? Arguing that people act just as bad as you doesn't justify your behavior, it just makes you look worse.
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Sneaky devs deserve the worst.

If in the beginning devs come right out with all of their intentions,so be it,at least nobody is getting mislead duped into a con job.

But what is happening are devs change the field of play whenever they feel like it,it is all about money and not the game,not the community,simply money and imo when it comes down to money alone,those devs should not be making games.

If you have a passion and can afford it with no cons or misleading speeches,then go for ,make a quality game.
    BLNXBruceYeeUNH0LYEV1LOctagon7711

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

edited December 2017

As a final note, wouldn't the best way to combat what was said would be to use an overwhelmingly positive demeanor? Arguing that people act just as bad as you doesn't justify your behavior, it just makes you look worse.
    I'll say it again... @Dleatherus is the best ambassador for their community that I have seen.  If I were CoE I would actually ask the others to refrain from ever publicly posting   ;)

You never want to outsource your PR to the angry mob.  It's simply a recipe for disaster.

BLNXYashaXOctagon7711JamesGoblin

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    Dakeru said:
    It's your honest opinion that Caspian got offers and turned them down?

I don't know what to say...

if you believe it's a good idea to accept unfavorable offers you and i should talk real soon - i have an excellent investment opportunity for you regarding some land in Louisiana that you need to hear about :)
    It doesn't take a genius to figure out this math,  no offer means no game. 

Come on, who are you kidding with that one?
    edited December 2017
    Dakeru said:

if you believe it's a good idea to accept unfavorable offers you and i should talk real soon - i have an excellent investment opportunity for you regarding some land in Louisiana that you need to hear about :)

That's not necessarily true.  They would need to adjust plans and get more money from other sources.  In this case the likely target are the supporters and that appears to be what has been happening.  From the short-term financial side of things it could actually be more beneficial to simply squeeze more from the players as they do not get any equity in return.
    The downside, as I mentioned before is that they just widen the moat between that Ivory Tower where these donors live and the rest of the outside community that they hope to recruit.

• Tiamat64Tiamat64 Member RarePosts: 1,545
    edited December 2017

I'll say it again... @Dleatherus is the best ambassador for their community that I have seen.  If I were CoE I would actually ask the others to refrain from ever publicly posting   ;)

You never want to outsource your PR to the angry mob.  It's simply a recipe for disaster.

If this is what the best ambassador for CoE has to offer, CoE is in big trouble indeed.  Ambassadors shouldn't talk down to others with sarcasm like that.
    Dakeru said:

Post edited by Tiamat64 on
  • HulluckHulluck Member UncommonPosts: 839
    edited December 2017
    Luiden said:
    "8 page comparison"

Right there is his problem.  That needs to turn into a 2 sentence statement and maybe a graph showing ROI over 5 years.  Nobody is going to read 8 damn pages.. a 1 pager max should be created.  You have to have your pitch down, or you stand no chance.
    This right here could very well be the case. Data needs to be put out in a easy to understand manner. Example and while not a game exact same situation it is an example of data presented poorly.  NASA’s Challenger O-Ring failure. 
  • jahlonjahlon Member UncommonPosts: 388
    Mikeha said:
    Even Trion wont touch it?  ;)

Hell not even EA will touch it?

The game is so unfinished it seems ready for a full marketing launch from EA
    JamesGoblin
  • GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    edited December 2017
    Dakeru said:

That's not necessarily true.  They would need to adjust plans and get more money from other sources.  In this case the likely target are the supporters and that appears to be what has been happening.  From the short-term financial side of things it could actually be more beneficial to simply squeeze more from the players as they do not get any equity in return.
    The downside, as I mentioned before is that they just widen the moat between that Ivory Tower where these donors live and the rest of the outside community that they hope to recruit.

Theoretically.
    But we both know reality is much different. Their current funding plan will not be enough to make this thing fly.

I've said this before. I believe they thought they could recreate the Star Citizen funding hype.

It didn't happen.
    JamesGoblin
    edited December 2017
    Kyleran said:
    Kyleran said:

;)

;)
    We will only use the cash shop to build the Harbinger brand.   After the Pay 2 Build phase is over we will remove the tokens!

By the way, simply purchasing a token does not get you inducted.  We will run it similar to the penny auction sites (or the current Buy a Vote For King in CoE).   Interested parties can buy as many tokens as they feel comfortable with.  We will set an arbitrary number of winners and occasionally post what the minimum bid is.  After all... if someone spent money on 5 tokens but now the minimum is 6... what's another $10?

Speaking of $10... I'd pay a token fee to MMORPG.COM for a custom title of Harbinger.  Maybe have my name in midnight black or something instead of Purple (or soon to be Orange!).  I'd even update my profile avatar to something more suitable with a black robe.

KyleranYashaXJamesGoblin

Well, we may not be able to get custom titles anymore  (just like MMORPGs,  the "upgrade" to Vanilla was actually a reduction in features including colored fonts and the like)  but we still can edit our signatures.

Harbingers of Doom it is....

• DleatherusDleatherus Member UncommonPosts: 168
    just as a little aside, a Harbinger is more like a messenger or an omen, rather than a seer or a prophet
    edited December 2017
    just as a little aside, a Harbinger is more like a messenger or an omen, rather than a seer or a prophet
    Cambridge  dictionary clearly lists both seer and prophet as synonyms to harbinger  ;)  But in either case it's a sign of what is to come,

But is that really what your big takeaway was?  I mean your leader, in his own words said that it wouldn't look good for him to go out and shut down the Harbingers but that you guys should go do it for him.  That's pretty messed up. 

I'm sure you have seen the results on other sites.  One of your community members was banned at least 4 times on this site alone.  Even ignoring the cowardly nature of the request, don't you think that outsourcing your PR to an angry mob is a bad idea?

It just strikes me as yet another poorly thought out statement.  Like when he mocked those who questioned his timeline of having full release for the game by the end of 2017 and started talking about his Gantt charts.   (And then subsequently delayed his game by 2 years)

Like when he mocked those who questioned his ability to recruit (and then used that as one of the 2 main reasons for delaying the game 2 years)

Harbinger?  Hell yeah Ill wear it gladly

PS: A perfect example was right in this thread where someone came out of the blue to make the statement that there were 150,000 pledged accounts.  That was easily debunked.  Is that what's best for the game?  Having an uninformed mob feeling empowered to go fight the Harbingers and ending up spreading misinformation?
    Post edited by Slapshot1188 on
    YashaX

• Superman0XSuperman0X Member RarePosts: 2,292
    Kyleran said:
    Kyleran said:

;)

;)
    We will only use the cash shop to build the Harbinger brand.   After the Pay 2 Build phase is over we will remove the tokens!

By the way, simply purchasing a token does not get you inducted.  We will run it similar to the penny auction sites (or the current Buy a Vote For King in CoE).   Interested parties can buy as many tokens as they feel comfortable with.  We will set an arbitrary number of winners and occasionally post what the minimum bid is.  After all... if someone spent money on 5 tokens but now the minimum is 6... what's another $10?

Speaking of $10... I'd pay a token fee to MMORPG.COM for a custom title of Harbinger.  Maybe have my name in midnight black or something instead of Purple (or soon to be Orange!).  I'd even update my profile avatar to something more suitable with a black robe.

Have you thought about making the titles limited, and then making them tradable outside of the game via blockchain technology. This would offer you an opportunity to do an ICO to fund your game, and would generate buzz for the digital assets that you are making.
    Slapshot1188
    Your new ava cracks me up Slap.
    I'm tempted to follow your example and wear the cloak of the Harbinger just for a bit of light hearted trolling.
    YashaX
    Harbinger of Fools
    Dakeru said:
    Your new ava cracks me up Slap.
    I'm tempted to follow your example and wear the cloak of the Harbinger just for a bit of light hearted trolling.
    Well... have you bought any Harbinger tokens yet?
    YashaXJamesGoblin