Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Star Citizen - Squadron 42 Gameplay Demo

ErillionErillion Member EpicPosts: 10,297
Here is the Squadron 42 Holiday Stream video and the Squadron 42 WIP Gameplay video excerpt from the Holiday stream (for those who did not watch it live):

Have fun

Odeezee

Comments

• AndistotleAndistotle Member UncommonPosts: 124
    completely breathtaking:) looking forward to this
    ErillionGdemamiAlexanderVendiBananaSoup
  • ErillionErillion Member EpicPosts: 10,297
    "This is your show, Lt. ... lead the way !"

* Social interaction on the base ship
    * Pilot briefing
    * prep fighter
    * Launch  (and here is a pilot that actually looks for the signs of the deck crew ;-) )
    * patrol and recon
    * interaction with a salvager
    * Eliminating hostile fighter
    * Investigate debris field
    * S&R EVA
    * examine evidence
    * enter atmosphere
    * low altitude canyon stealth approach (liked that bit about turrets blasting high flyers out of the sky)
    * landing
    * gaining access (with some repair work)
    * Knifing FTW
    * firefights (neither side can hit a barn apparently ;-) or know how to clear a building)
    * Alien style crawlway hide-n-seek
    * prisoner rescue
    * getting an ally
    * preparing to clear the base ....

Quite a bit of variety in there.

Smoothness/FPS needs to improve IMHO.

I like some of the details ....

all the debris burning up in the atmosphere. Reminds me of "The Empire Strike back" ... "with all the debris flying around here, it will be hard to detect incoming ships .... "

Also the hand signs of the deck crew.

The military greetings.

The advocacy agent licking her split lips, trying to find out if she still has all her teeth after that friendly chat with the slavers ....

etc.

Have fun

edited December 2017
    Comment from everyones favorite nutcase

"....And for that, I am going to do everything in my power, and will spare NO time or expense to put Chris Roberts in jail."

Someone sounds pissed.  :-D  High praise indeed ;-)

Have fun

rpmcmurphy
    For those that want to know where the player is while walking around the ship:

The Bridge deck, Upper Hangar, Main Hangar and Argo Hangar are also there. Floor plans are from "Jump Point" magazine.

Have fun
  • rpmcmurphyrpmcmurphy Member EpicPosts: 3,502
    If anything I am leaning to the disappointment side of the line. It looked good and sounded good at times but there was sweet FA gameplay, it was more like a 45 minute video tour with 4 or 5 minutes of interaction which is a shame because I have been looking forward to this far more than the MMO side of things.

I feel like I'm left with more questions than answers, do you have to do everything the way did it, breadcrumb style or is there a bit more free-form to the missions/world? Do I have to go and talk to these people before I can advance or can I skip that shit if I find another way?
    BananaSoup
  • GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342
    edited December 2017
    ...this is what happens when you design a game like a (bad) movie instead of game.
    OdeezeeOrinoriBananaSoup
    It was my impression that this gameplay WIP video was deliberately done to be more of a video tour of things than a typical mission. Ticking of things you want to show - the ship, spaceflight, space combat, EVA, planetary flight, sneaking around, solving puzzles/repair things, FPS combat, social interaction etc.

Have fun
    Gdemami
    edited December 2017
    Gdemami said:
    ...this is what happens when you design a game like a (bad) movie instead of game.

Yeah there's certainly that vibe to it. A game like Life Is Strange had more interaction and better pacing in it's opening scenes than this did. This felt like it had a huge amount of filler to make up for the lack of gameplay, distract or woo them with the shiny visuals and effects etc.
    Orinori
  • MaxBaconMaxBacon Member LegendaryPosts: 7,766
    edited December 2017
    I liked it, the SQ42 that was expectable is there that was something that felt like a successor to Wing Commander and this had its vibe.
    Post edited by MaxBacon on
    BananaSoup

This version has commentary on the entire thing and answers quite a bunch of questions as well. @rpmcmurphy might be worth a look as the demo itself wasn't that explanatory of how the gameplay flows in the missions and so.
    rpmcmurphy
  • AethaerynAethaeryn Member RarePosts: 3,149
    That got the nostalgia flowing!  S42 is what I am most interested in. . although I did get into some online freelancer stuff and really enjoyed that as well.
    Slapshot1188

Wa min God! Se æx on min heafod is!

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    Commentary made a big difference in understanding what they were working on.  
    Izzin

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,986
    Aethaeryn said:
    That got the nostalgia flowing!  S42 is what I am most interested in. . although I did get into some online freelancer stuff and really enjoyed that as well.
    Same here!

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• IzzinIzzin Member UncommonPosts: 37
    It also is amazing to hear how much more they want to do as well. 

--Izz
    Octagon7711
  • WalkinGlennWalkinGlenn Member RarePosts: 451
    Everytime he said Stanton all I herd was Stannis
    MaxBacon
    MaxBacon said:

This version has commentary on the entire thing and answers quite a bunch of questions as well. @rpmcmurphy might be worth a look as the demo itself wasn't that explanatory of how the gameplay flows in the missions and so.
    Thanks, I will give this video a watch.
    Izzin said:
    It also is amazing to hear how much more they want to do as well. 

--Izz
    Yeah but it doesn't feel major feature work there, it's a lot of details to come up together to improve the gameplay flow. Improvements over FPS AI, more details and stuff within each 

Things like FPS AI are still not in a place where they can provide challenging gameplay, improvements on things as that is what makes the gameplay more attractive, usually in alpha/beta we always notice how wonky combat AI's are and that alone makes the gameplay meh

One of the best bits visually actually shows the WIP in the clouds, based on the volumetric stuff that is part of Amazon's work for LY.

Excited to see what they do with it once they get to the point to work on gas giants as some like Crusader have landing zones, the view would be great that likely so haha
    Erillion
  • OrinoriOrinori Member RarePosts: 751
    Lots of stealth play, loved the whole thing, very cool.
    BananaSoup