Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What is your most hated feature or paradigm in an MMO?

CryomatrixCryomatrix Member EpicPosts: 3,223
For me it is a toss up between useless crafting or no gear diversity in which everyone looks the same. What are your most hated features or paradigms?

Cryomatrix
Catch me streaming at twitch.tv/cryomatrix
You can see my sci-fi/WW2 book recommendations. 
gunklacker[Deleted User]

Comments

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Daily quests. Nothing makes me more tired of a MMO as fast.
    DeadSpockKylerannightraiderborghive49ConstantineMerusTheDarkrayne[Deleted User]Scot[Deleted User]AlBQuirkyand 3 others.
  • DvoraDvora Member UncommonPosts: 499
    edited December 2017
    1.  The every class can do everything over-balancing cop out - makes every class feel the same and puts a damper on social interaction and cooperation, and character identity.

2.  Very close 2nd is level or gear scaling - where the mobs in every zone are always the same difficulty no matter where u go.  Combat in mmo's is too easy as is, now try and bring a buddy with you and its just mind numbing slaughter.  I don't want some cheap difficulty slider either.

3.  Loot boxes, any way to sell cash shop items for in game gold, which pretty much = pay to win no matter what - unless there is no item you can buy with in game gold that helps you progress, which then makes money useless... Really this is number one, only put at third because it is a given that loot boxes and pay to win sucks big.
    SirAgravainecaine6621AlBQuirkyGeekydelete5230
  • blamo2000blamo2000 Member RarePosts: 1,130
    Raiding.  The way it is set up is ridiculous and a nonsensical time waste.  For newer mmos it would be the lack of character development or anything beyond a very lite system.  Since mmos are cross platform it seems console players dislike thinking, so console games remove that aspect or make it thinking free.  You either have no system at all, a class system with no choices to make at all, or "named-character" system with no choices, or systems so lite seven year olds can understand it and not make bad choices, since the choices given are not really choices but more flavor.  Such as with Division or Destiny or ESO or any other big named game out there.
  • DeadSpockDeadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 403
    Free2Play and cash shops, daily/weekly events or rewards, forced PvP or main focus being PvP, fast leveling making quests pointless for whole areas.
    AlBQuirkydelete5230
  • ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    Currencies so many fucking currencies ...   soooo many .. Whyy!!!!!!
    [Deleted User]GeekyAlpiusOctagon7711delete5230MellowTigger
  • MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    What I've lately called the "storefront" paradigm, where I log in and, instead of feeling like I'm entering a fantasy world to play in, I feel like I'm staring at a digital storefront.

Beyond that, games where classes are homogenized too much for group roles.  Excessive content scaling.  A focus on lobby-game style instancing.  A neglect to encourage interaction, cooperation, and healthy competition among players.
    NildenSlapshot1188AlBQuirkydelete5230MrMelGibsond_20

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Scorchien said:
    Currencies so many fucking currencies ...   soooo many .. Whyy!!!!!!
    The base currency is actually very basic (100 copper is 1 silver, 100 silver is one gold and possibly is 100 gold a plat). It is also rather silly since copper coins are completelly useless in all MMOs and silver is generally useless in most as well. There I rather see something a bit more advanced but only using coins that is actually useful once you pass level 10.

However there are all the other silly currencies games have that only can be used in certain places or with certain factions. They get old fast, the classic faction system is aactually less annoying there (get enough faction points to open the store and then use regular coins to buy stuff).  I don't see how they add anything fun to the game.

Few merchants would say no to a deal when you pay in gold, they might raise the price if they don't like you or lower it if they do but that is it.
  • blamo2000blamo2000 Member RarePosts: 1,130
    I'll add another one - crafting games mislabeled as something else.  These games call themselves sandboxes and use it as an excuse to not have any content.  The original sandbox games all had content.  They had quests and npcs and stuff to do.  What is currently called a sandbox game usually means no content at all, or "player made content."  Player made content means grinding and grinding to craft.  If the whole point of the game is to craft it is a crafting game.  It is not a survival game, or rpg, or sandbox, or anything other than a crafting game.  

Also, if WW3 happened today and I survived do you know what I would craft?  Nothing.  I would scavenge and sleep in already made houses in already made mattresses.  I would grow nothing and make nothing.  Everything I would need is already made.

If I was dropped on an island with nothing man made in a hostile environment brimming with hungry large carnivorous creatures my goal would not be to become a master craftsman.  My goal would be to find something high enough to jump off of and die before I died much slower from exposer or as living animal food.  Even if I wanted to live my goal would never be to be a master craftsman.  It would be escape the awful island, and to not be a master craftsman.  In no situation do I ever want to master a building craft.  I hate building anything.  I hate mowing my lawn.  I even hate tightening door knobs.  I especially hate Ikea.  I work hard at my not building profession so I can buy completed furniture.  When my wife goes to Ikea I refuse to put it together.  She makes me anyways, but I hate it and complain loudly and often.
    gunklacker[Deleted User]DvoraMrMelGibson
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435
    edited December 2017
    "Early Access," especially when charging players for it. I feel it gives less incentive for the Devs to promptly finish their development, which is why many titles are dragging on forever. 

nightraiderMadFrenchieanemoGdemamiAlBQuirkydelete5230MrMelGibson

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• iixviiiixiixviiiix Member RarePosts: 2,256
    level (or what ever) requirement and non repeatable quests .

[Deleted User]
  • sunandshadowsunandshadow Member RarePosts: 1,985
    There are so many... :disappointed:  But I guess the absolute most hated would be RNG. Though high fantasy and horror fantasy settings are a really close second.
    I want to help design and develop a PvE-focused, solo-friendly, sandpark MMO which combines crafting, monster hunting, and story.  So PM me if you are starting one.
  • nightraidernightraider Member UncommonPosts: 33
    Kyleran said:
    "Early Access," especially when charging players for it. I feel it gives less incentive for the Devs to promptly finish their development, which is why many titles are dragging on forever. 

^ that.  

It's all backwards now. We used to pay for the finished game and the beta test was free because it was unfinished. Now we are expected to pay for the beta test early access because you get to play the game before it's even done. Now the finished game is typically free to play with a cash shop.

It isn't about creating a finished game and getting steady profits from moderately satisfied long-term subscribers anymore. Now it's all about creating and selling hype. The longer they can dangle that carrot on the string (hype and empty promises) in front of people the more money they make in the short term. After that they can put the game on life support release the game, gain some profit by introducing new cash shop items, and start seeding the hype for their next early access money maker.

In many ways the whole thing reminds me of console game preordering. Both are ways to sell all the hype and expectations that the finished product rarely lives up to before people see it for what it really is. By that time it's too late. They already have their money and started working on their next overhyped game.

• ConstantineMerusConstantineMerus Member EpicPosts: 3,338
    Loke666 said:
    Daily quests. Nothing makes me more tired of a MMO as fast.
    This. At least back in school, daily homework assignments had some variations. 
    Constantine, The Console Poster

• "One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out of touch with their instinctive selves." - Carl Jung
  • dougha1dougha1 Member UncommonPosts: 152
    Timed missions or quests.

Arrrg!  HATE!
    Viper482[Deleted User]Kylerandelete5230MrMelGibson
    This forum is broken. It is time to move to proboards, because they're broken.
  • BLNXBLNX Member UncommonPosts: 275
    I think this one isn't something that bothers everyone, but it bothers me.

I hate playing an MMO, and the story has my character pinned as the "chosen one". It could just be personal preference, but in a game where I'm supposed to interact with a massive amount of players, it feels kind of condescending to know that we're all the "chosen one".

I suppose it's because I don't want to feel like my character can do everything within an MMO. That's why I play an MMO, because at some point I'm going to see and cooperate with other players, and it would be nice from a lore stance where I don't have to think everyone else is a bit player to MY story, and that I'm still the best thing since sliced bread.

Earlier MMOs seemed more in tune with this, where they understood that you were going to be interacting with other people constantly and perhaps a story where you alone save the world seems out of touch. That's not to say they were perfect, but at least I felt I didn't have to suspend disbelief just because I wanted to group with others who have played the story.
    anemoNeanderthalcaine6621[Deleted User]AlBQuirkyVezlindelete5230Fangrim
    In the King's Court, I choose to be the Jester.
  • Viper482Viper482 Member LegendaryPosts: 4,056
    Lack of interdependence with crafting and the dreaded gear progression end-game are equally shit for me.

Everyone being able to craft everything and what is crafted having absolutely no value in end game is lame. I loved the old mmo's where crafters depended on each other for components and end-game gear was crafted, created a living economy. 

Gear progression end-game makes me want to throw up. There is nothing more stupid than running the same raids over and over so you can get better gear to run the same raids over and over again. Talk about a hamster wheel. Bring the MMO journey back!
    KyleranAlBQuirkyFangrim
    Make MMORPG's Great Again!
  • Viper482Viper482 Member LegendaryPosts: 4,056
    Elidien said:
    Buff bots and end game level increases. Can you tell I am still bitter about DAOC?

I hated the /level 20 command with a passion. The only thing worse is paying for a boost. *Looking at you WOW*

I will never understand why people are against 10 year old games providing level boosts. Why would I want to grind out the same obsolete crap 2000's content for the 10th time? 
    Kyleran
    Make MMORPG's Great Again!
  • anemoanemo Member RarePosts: 1,903
    edited December 2017
    Stupid media storms.

We're seriously at the point where on Saturday we have news that there will be news on Monday just to find out the news was to tell everyone about an interview on Friday where they maybe tell news about something upcoming in 3 years (but in reality might as well be a lie since no game design or IT implementation survives more than a year anyways).

All of the "fake leaks" which is a PR person literally going up to a gaming "news" website with some silly bull shot, screen shot, or concept art.
    Post edited by anemo on

Practice doesn't make perfect, practice makes permanent.

"At one point technology meant making tech that could get to the moon, now it means making tech that could get you a taxi."

• Flyte27Flyte27 Member RarePosts: 4,574
    Endgame.

I hate easily attainable vertical progression cap.

I always preferred games like Lineage II where it took ages to reach max level.
    I always preferred game where you actually never reached the max "level" or whatever. AC1, UO...
    Max level in UO was hitting the skill cap.  Then skills would decrease if you trained another.  The thing I don't like about a classless system is it's like having one class with a best talent build.  I'd rather see a multiclass system.  Most people were fighter mages of some flavor.  I never played AC1.
    AlBQuirky
  • NeanderthalNeanderthal Member RarePosts: 1,861

1:  Raiding.   I started hating it in Everquest and my hatred for it has grown stronger over the years.

2:  A lack of grouping.  If I'm playing a MMO I want to play with other people.

3:  Quest hub games (almost all games now) in which you are led step by step through the entire leveling process.

2 and 3 have made me hate the early and mid level game almost as much as 1 made me hate the endgame.

delete5230
  • Flyte27Flyte27 Member RarePosts: 4,574
    edited December 2017
    I don't like raiding much, but my least favorite thing is probably lack of classes and abilities that interest me.  I would point to the variety of utility spells in EQ and WoW for some classes.  Things like Spirit of the Wolf, water breathing, levitate, invisibility, illusion(for example changing into another race or animal and charming it to allow for otherwise impossible trade), etc.  I find games focus overly much on PvP and raiding.  The journey and small group content are not important.  The world is not important.
    AlBQuirky
  • rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    edited December 2017
    Repeating the same activity over and over knowing the outcome wont be different. Too bad mmos are cursed to be designed that way until someone finally bursts that bubble.
    AlBQuirky

• TalonsinTalonsin Member EpicPosts: 3,619
    Dailies - I dont need a second job

Lack of customization - all warriors should not look alike or have the same skills
    AlBQuirkydougha1
    "Sean (Murray) saying MP will be in the game is not remotely close to evidence that at the point of purchase people thought there was MP in the game."  - SEANMCAD

• DullahanDullahan Member EpicPosts: 4,536
    Instancing. I want a world where I find people everywhere and I am not afforded my own little pocket of reality separate from everyone else. I like the need for interaction, whether it leads to competition or even compromise. That is how the world works, and how I want my virtual world to work.

Solo content. Not that it should ever be impossible for a player to achieve anything on their own, but it should always be a struggle and generally mean doing easier content that yields far less experience and less beneficial items.

Weak death penalties. The death penalty is probably the single most powerful element that can determine everything from sense of accomplishment, immersion, mystery that compel players to continue playing, exploring and progressing. Weak death penalties lead to games which are consumed and disposed, ultimately preventing players from bonding with the game, its world, and it's inhabitants (other players).
    AlBQuirkydelete5230

• JakdstripperJakdstripper Member RarePosts: 2,410
    invisible walls, and/or environment designed to funnel you from point a to point b..... i feel like a god damn lab rat, being funneled down a maze. instant gag reflex. 
    my mmos are open worlds, not mazes. nothing turns me off quicker than being restricted by poor/lazy map design. 
    if i can't just go explore in any direction i want, then it's not a world. it's not what i want from an mmo. 

AlBQuirkydougha1