Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Backers Get an Early Christmas Present with a Chance to Test v3.0 Alpha - Star Citizen - MMORPG.com

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited December 2017 in News & Features Discussion

imageBackers Get an Early Christmas Present with a Chance to Test v3.0 Alpha - Star Citizen - MMORPG.com

Star Citizen News - Roberts Space Industry has an early Christmas gift for all backers with the ability to test 3.0 Alpha now enabled. The good news came via the official forums (thanks, anonymous tipster!) with links to the installer, instructions on how to install the PTU and how to get a temporary password sent out. Backers will also find an FAQ, patch notes and the default control scheme. Lastly, you can take part in the PTU test chat on Spectrum.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,982
    A few people here probably just crapped their pants.

JeffSpicoli

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• JakdstripperJakdstripper Member RarePosts: 2,410
    edited December 2017

....you mean because we are so old now, after waiting on SC for so many years? fecal incontinence is no joke man.
    TillerXarkoShaighJamesGoblinJeffSpicoliDarkpigeonOctagon7711Scot
  • sgelsgel Member EpicPosts: 2,197

Torval said:

Awesome. Hurry up haters, move the goalpost, the backers are having fun with the game!

I'll try and oblige but I'm not a hater.. what was the original goal post so I can see if it needs moving?

Personally I think it's great news. People who enjoy playing have more things to enjoy.
    Performance is abysmal from what I've read and bugs aplenty but hey it's released to the public for Christmas and that's a good thing.

I'll wait for better performance optimization before I download and try it since I expect it'll be quite irritating to play now.
    lucignano

..Cake..

• FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,967
    Welcome to 2017-2018 where being able to TEST a game you paid for over 3-5 years ago is the gift to brag about.

You sure showed em buddies. Don't forget the bug reports in your Xmas stockings. XD
    MikehaViper482[Deleted User]ScotNildenMrMelGibson
    "As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • ElderknightElderknight Member UncommonPosts: 322

Welcome to 2017-2018 where being able to TEST a game you paid for over 3-5 years ago is the gift to brag about.

You sure showed em buddies. Don't forget the bug reports in your Xmas stockings. XD

Rofl, thinking the samething, gluck on the testting. :)
  • MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    edited December 2017

Well, I mean, how are devs supposed to eat if they have to actually release a completed title before gamers pay for the game?

I mean, it's not like there's a larger consumer base today for video games than ever before, and inflation!

edited December 2017
    Torval said:

lol, point proven.
    He's not wrong.  It's quite baffling how quickly some gamers adjusted to paying more and more, earlier and earlier for what amounts to promises.
    Octagon7711

• IkedaIkeda Member RarePosts: 2,751
    Wait, so I finally can ask them permission to play a game that I put money in to so long ago I feel like I should be getting interest off my investment?
    edited December 2017
    Ikeda said:
    Wait, so I finally can ask them permission to play a game that I put money in to so long ago I feel like I should be getting interest off my investment?
    Yes, and you'll like it, because gamers are utterly spoiled and deserve to have to pay now and wait a decade for the finished product!  Anyone who says otherwise or complains is just trolling.
    Darkpigeon

• ShaighShaigh Member EpicPosts: 2,142
    Torval said:
    Awesome. Hurry up haters, move the goalpost, the backers are having fun with the game!
    Yeah, the problem are the haters that moved the 3.0 release goalpost from june so that you can test it in december. 
    Iselin: And the next person who says "but it's a business, they need to make money" can just go fuck yourself.
  • GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    edited December 2017
    Torval said:
    Torval said:

lol, point proven.
    He's not wrong.  It's quite baffling how quickly some gamers adjusted to paying more and more, earlier and earlier for what amounts to promises.
    It's so baffling that people make such a big deal out of a non-issue. I think it's ridiculous too so I didn't buy in. I think it's equally ridiculous to make such a stink about it.

I have no plans on giving these guys a dime until I see something I think I'll have fun with. If SQN 42 ends up being a clunky fiddly piece of interface ass, then I'll pass and be glad I didn't throw money at them. Until then announcements like these are good news because I can actually see them finally holding onto a milestone.

Yep, no one is wrong in that it's taken a long time and is constantly rife with drama. On the other hand negative complainers who always point out others faults are annoying pains in the ass. You know that person in the office that bitches about everything and will point out something negative in any situation? They're a gamer.
    Then this really isn't about "haters gonna hate" This is about you being smart enough not to have bought into this before hand, but those who did buy into have to Buck up now. Maybe they don't hate, they just want what they were promised. I did not buy into this either, so I don't have a right to bitch. I guess that makes me a hater if I do, but for those who did. They just want to vent.
    Torval said:
    Torval said:

lol, point proven.
    It's so baffling that people make such a big deal out of a non-issue. I think it's ridiculous too so I didn't buy in. I think it's equally ridiculous to make such a stink about it.

I have no plans on giving these guys a dime until I see something I think I'll have fun with. If SQN 42 ends up being a clunky fiddly piece of interface ass, then I'll pass and be glad I didn't throw money at them. Until then announcements like these are good news because I can actually see them finally holding onto a milestone.

Yep, no one is wrong in that it's taken a long time and is constantly rife with drama. On the other hand negative complainers who always point out others faults are annoying pains in the ass. You know that person in the office that bitches about everything and will point out something negative in any situation? They're a gamer.
    Even for those who don't participate in the crowd funding, there's a stake in how it goes down.  It will affect the entire industry.

FlyByKnight's post was a clear comment on how consumers in the industry have cheerfully accepted a worse and worse position, convinced by the grassroot marketing campaigns launched by these crowdfunded endeavors that, if they hold on just long enough, they'll get to play the best game they've ever played, one made just for them.

Of course, it's ludicrous, and the realities that have set in on SC and other projects resulting in delays and backtracked quotes and overly-predatory monetization schemes, one might think, would jar those folks back to the reality of MMORPG crowdfunding, but they persist on.  Meanwhile, those folks more grounded in reality (call them pessimists if you like; studies have shown pessimists are better at predicting and describing reality than optimists) see that crowdfunding has shown very little so far for the MMORPG fan to be excited about save for "EVENTUALLY, ONE DAY!" (in many cases) supported by laughably unrealistic plans for accomplishment.  There's been nothing released so far by an MMORPG crowdfunding dev that even competes with traditionally funded titles, yet those same projects also sell some of the most expensive packages and items in the genre (indeed, the entire video game industry).

To recap: more spent, less received.  And if that's the way the entire genre heads, it'll be incredibly disappointing.
    BeansnBread[Deleted User]BLNXMrMelGibson

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751
    Next year at this time it will be Alpha 14, then the following year Alpha 22, then the following year Alpha 31, then......
  • DaranarDaranar Member UncommonPosts: 392

Ikeda said:

You are a fool if you didn't understand what backing a kickstarter means. It means there is no return on investment other than the game, it means there is no timeline for when you get to play. Why is that so hard to grasp for some people. It literally IS NOT a pre-order. It is graciously helping them develop a game free from a publisher with the promise of the game, or ships or whatever in return if they accomplish their goal. Like how stupid are some people to not understand what backing a crowd-funded game means? It is NOT buying the game, it is NOT an interest yielding investment (or any investment for that matter), is does NOT entitle you to anything if the game never sees the light of day, and it IS awesome, it IS a gamble, and most importantly it IS optional.

My Christmas wish is for people to grow some brain cells, and stop bitching about their 'investments' in crowdfunded games in 2018. One can wish...
    Erillion

If I want a world in which people can purchase success and power with cash, I'll play Real Life. Keep Virtual Worlds Virtual!

• sgelsgel Member EpicPosts: 2,197
    Yes, why is it so hard for you people to not believe the release dates the devs give you when you crowdfund a project?
    Just ignore the dates and any estimations whatsoever. Take a wild guess of when you think the project might release then add 10 years to it. Is that so hard?!!?? Jezus!

Make sure however to believe ALL the hype and convince yourselves how amazing it will be when PC-Gaming is saved and continue buying ships because it helps development of the project you have no idea when will come but when it comes it'll be the best ever.

KyleranMrMelGibsonScotchUp

..Cake..

• Tiamat64Tiamat64 Member RarePosts: 1,545
    Torval said:
    the backers are having fun with the game!
    *browses around various reddits and forums*

....I dunno, doesn't seem like a lot of them are.
  • hyllyhhyllyh Member UncommonPosts: 477
    temporary, that's when i stop...
  • AethaerynAethaeryn Member RarePosts: 3,149
    Please run on my machine. . . or i might have to upgrade. . like I did for WC3

Wa min God! Se æx on min heafod is!

• FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,967
    Torval said:

lol, point proven.
    What's the proven point? I'm going to be playing finished games for Christmas.

PLUS I get to play Star Citizen if it ever actually finishes for less money or if it doesn't get done I get to spend the money on more released games Christmas 202X. Risk free.

I'm a fan of GOOD FINISHED GAMES. Not a fanboy for 1 game or developer. My genitals aren't tied to the front or back of any bandwagon therefore I will come out 1UP every time (if you're keeping score of white knights vs haters).

This is why I find humor in the incorrectly smug response of;

"That's right haters, we're testing an unfinished in Alpha game as an early gift. Where's your .jpg talk now"

"As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Tiamat64Tiamat64 Member RarePosts: 1,545
    Torval said:
    No matter how much you say it's okay to fart all the way through the movie, it doesn't make it less stinky or obnoxious.
    I KNOW.  So stop farting, please.  The only thing you've contributed to this thread is insults to everyone else.
  • saurus123saurus123 Member UncommonPosts: 678
    edited December 2017
    image i see the test going with no probs
  • gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    edited December 2017

saurus123 said:

i see the test going with no probs

It might be a problem if new and unknown stuff is found that takes down the server - although that is what testing is for arguably.

However in the case of a 1002 error I am sure someone will have pointed Levi to the FAQs - a 1002 message usually indicating that the firewall is blocking access (that can occur if the player "clicks through / dismisses" a popup that makes the request).
  • renstarensta Member RarePosts: 728
    Really cool. Hope it all goes well. Would like to see some videos. How many players per server are able to play now?

Basically clicking away text windows ruins every MMO, try to have fun instead of rushing things. Without story and lore all there is left is a bunch of mechanics.
    Add Multi-Quote

• IkedaIkeda Member RarePosts: 2,751
    Daranar said:

You are a fool if you didn't understand what backing a kickstarter means. It means there is no return on investment other than the game, it means there is no timeline for when you get to play. 
    ACTUALLY, I backed a kickstarter with dates and a specific set of releases.  Since then, they've bloated the game full of so much crap (literally, now you have to pee and poop and feed yourself in game) that it's not at all what I kickstarted.
    EponyxDamorBananaSoup
  • spankybusspankybus Member UncommonPosts: 1,367

I’ve been testing it. Pretty sure the server’s are about to shit themselves

Frank 'Spankybus' Mignone
    www.spankybus.com
    -3d Artist & Compositor
    -Writer
    -Professional Amature