Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

MMORPG.com's Best of 2017 Awards - General Awards

Comments

• KinkyAmraKinkyAmra Member UncommonPosts: 16

Albatroes said:

Viper482 said:

Just my opinions.....Wildstar is just a bad game. It is not a crime for people to not like bad games. It looks great, it looks fun, but it just.....isn't. The game lacks the most important element in a game...fun.

I'll never understand the FFXIV craze, but to each their own with that one. Wildstar on the other hand, its failure after the ultra-hype (I bought in too) speaks volumes about the game.

Would agree on the Final Fashion XIV comment. The graphics are above average and the fights are pretty okay if you don't break down the 3 overlapping mechanics that they use for most fights (4 if you count falling off/pushed off). Everything else is barebones though, even the fashion element. But as you said, it seems the current generation is into this kind of thing. I'll say that it has a lot of potential though.

The hate you have for FF is unreal
    [Deleted User]Viper482
  • AlomarAlomar Member RarePosts: 1,299
    Hmm, maybe I should give FFIV another shot. I played an hour of the closed beta, got to the first round of combat, and uninstalled right away due to how slow it seemed.

Also Destiny is not an mmo, so the term mmo-hybrid has mmo in it so it's also not an mmo-hybrid.
    JamesGoblin
    Haxus Council Member
    21  year MMO veteran 
    PvP Raid Leader 
    Lover of The Witcher & CD Projekt Red
  • ShaighShaigh Member EpicPosts: 2,142
    Most anticipated RPG: Pillars of eternity 2
    TokkenCazriel
    Iselin: And the next person who says "but it's a business, they need to make money" can just go fuck yourself.
  • WarzodWarzod Member RarePosts: 495
    Wildstar is like trying to enjoy a comedian while they are being heckled. Doesn't matter how good they are once some tool decides they are going to ruin it. I have enjoyed Wildstar very much once they got off that endgame nonsense. But it's cool to hate on it because that's what gamers do these days. Seems they figure if they don't like something they will be dammed if they let anyone else enjoy it. I thought it was a good choice for the list.
    chilltime99Viper482CazrielEnikConfondu
  • DrDreamDrDream Member UncommonPosts: 237
    I still play wildstar <3 in my personal opinion it's the best MMORPG out there right now.
    chilltime99[Deleted User]

• TokkenTokken Member EpicPosts: 3,549
    I game that I regret most for buying: FFIV

Proud MMORPG.com member since March 2004!  Make PvE GREAT Again!

• SomeHumanSomeHuman Member UncommonPosts: 560
    Typo Alert: Should be Larian Studios

Gaming since 1985; Online gaming since 1995; No End in Sight! My YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8POVoJ8fdOseuJ4U1ZX-oA

• PlanetusPlanetus Member CommonPosts: 2
    Persona 5 is my RPG of the year, not been many MMOs to write home about this year.
  • TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297
    Torval said:
    I think ESO should be MMO of the year, but I can see why FF14 got it. It's solid and very popular and a lot more traditional in many ways.

The rest I totally agree with. I'm surprised BotW didn't get top honors, but I agree that D:OS2 deserves it. I think how they've pushed boundaries with multiplayer in that format, while still keeping the great narrative and broad appeal has earned it that place.

Destiny 2 is an incredible game and so awesome. The shooting is fun and solid. It doesn't matter that it isn't a full on MMO to me because it feels enough like one and the community is good to play with.

If I had to pick an alternate hybrid-MMO it would be Secret World Legends. Funcom has done a lot to move the idea of a persistent shared world RPG forward. They should get credit for that.

I don't get the Wildstar hate. That is such a fun MMO. The reason I don't play Wildstar is the same as it is for Final Fantasy XIV, I don't have a group to play with. Those two MMOs aren't fun to me without friends. I never found guilds that clicked while I played and so I lost interest. The kinds of long term progression and goals for both fit with having a guild to pour that energy into.
    My biggest issue with Wildstar is mob/zone density. Everything is really packed together with stuff everywhere.

You regularly accidentally start challenges and aggro things you didn't want to and it just gets chaotic. All you wanted to do was kill a monkey but you might harvest some wood, some ore, start a jumping challenge, start a kill challenge from a different mob you hit nearby and kill the monkey you wanted to. Now you're on a timer to complete these challenges so you're rushing about trying to kill some birds in 3 minutes.. and the monkeys for your quest... and you've got to jump up come giant mushrooms within 5 minutes. The screen is blasting out kill counts so you rush to kill more mobs. Loot and omnibits are flying out of everything so who knows what you've just picked up.

Carnage.

Happens all the time. It's exhausting.
    BruceYee[Deleted User]bartoni33SAPninjawandericaAndraxxCazriel
    I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • Viper482Viper482 Member LegendaryPosts: 4,064

Since this list includes unreleased games as well I would add Star Citizen.  Win, lose, place, or show, they've gotten themselves in the records books and will remain a game discussed with great passion in the gaming industry for light years to come.  Pros and Cons dominate the forums here probably more then any other game. 

Hopefully this comment won't spark a twenty something page response. :wink:

20 lashings for mentioning Star Citizen in this thread. Now go buy something that does not exist for $500.
    Make MMORPG's Great Again!

Warzod said:

Wildstar is like trying to enjoy a comedian while they are being heckled. Doesn't matter how good they are once some tool decides they are going to ruin it. I have enjoyed Wildstar very much once they got off that endgame nonsense. But it's cool to hate on it because that's what gamers do these days. Seems they figure if they don't like something they will be dammed if they let anyone else enjoy it. I thought it was a good choice for the list.

No, actually there really are people who played it and said "this game sucks". Believe it or not, people can actually form opinions based on their experiences rather than something they made up in their heads.
    bartoni33Ginaz

KinkyAmra said:

Albatroes said:

Viper482 said:

Just my opinions.....Wildstar is just a bad game. It is not a crime for people to not like bad games. It looks great, it looks fun, but it just.....isn't. The game lacks the most important element in a game...fun.

I'll never understand the FFXIV craze, but to each their own with that one. Wildstar on the other hand, its failure after the ultra-hype (I bought in too) speaks volumes about the game.

Would agree on the Final Fashion XIV comment. The graphics are above average and the fights are pretty okay if you don't break down the 3 overlapping mechanics that they use for most fights (4 if you count falling off/pushed off). Everything else is barebones though, even the fashion element. But as you said, it seems the current generation is into this kind of thing. I'll say that it has a lot of potential though.

You see this as "unreal hate"? rofl. You FFXIV fans are so sensitive.
  • NasaNasa Member UncommonPosts: 739
    Destiny 2 is one big scam and should not qualify for any prestigious award.
  • WarlyxWarlyx Member EpicPosts: 3,363
    disagree with destiny 2 , other than that spot on , WS underrated ? meh....
    Phry
  • aCi11i3saCi11i3s Member UncommonPosts: 54
    Those who say they "don't get FFXIV, or regret buying it"....never played it, or are simply not mmo fans. The only thing FFXIV does wrong is pvp, and that's okay because it's Final Fantasy. One of the best stories in any mmo, if not the best, and does what FF has always done so well. Makes you care about the npcs and characters in the world around you. You truly feel apart of Eorzea, and feel a kinship and duty to the world. No you don't start out in gear that looks good, and to be honest, all starting gear is ugly. But that's just part of the epic struggle. There is no easy mode, simplified builds, legendaries dropping all over the place. You actually have to work for it and earn it...and guess what? It's fun as hell doing it.

Now before I'm called a 'fanboy' or whatever...please don't. I'm playing WoW, and only because it has pvp. Open world, bg's, arenas, etc, AND the pve and lore to match FFXIV. However, WoW does have an easy button and very simplified builds compared to the WoW of old. If I anyone wanted to create a perfect mmo, please take the hardcore feeling and intrinsic value of FFXIV and mix it with WoW. Well, and maybe some GW2 too. Anet understands what "legendary" means too.

Wildstar was already mentioned perfectly. AWESOME but it's just not fun to play.

Finally...if I hear anyone mentions that console pos ESO again, I'm going to throw up all over my machine. Sure it's based on amazing lore and Tamriel is awesome, but ESO is nothing more than a broken game made for short-term players, wanting to feel like they are playing something special. Only to realize that there is no endgame that lasts, busted boring unbalanced pvp, loot boxes, and a 'one Tamriel' system that never truly allows you to feel epic. BIGGEST disappointment of them all...I could go all day.

So Merry Chrismas all...and if you really want all there is and more from an mmo...just go play GW2. Amazing everything...they really don't do much wrong. Have fun and Merry Christmas
    velimiriusjosko9
  • KinkyAmraKinkyAmra Member UncommonPosts: 16

Viper482 said:

KinkyAmra said:

Albatroes said:

Viper482 said:

You see this as "unreal hate"? rofl. You FFXIV fans are so sensitive.

Im neither sensitive nor a ffxiv fan but i have noticed that in every thread that ff is being mentioned he is there bashing it for whatever reason.He must have some deep grudge for it.
    aCi11i3svelimirius
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Divinity was boring to me very quickly,i have already done the whole Baldur's gate and others many years ago,i don't much like cheap games anymore.
    My pick is and will be until i see better "FFXI" i won't even play FFXIV and i consider it better than most other offerings.
    If i wanted a hold your hand themepark i would still choose EQ2 easily over Wow and others.

Wildstar under rated,i wanted out in the first hour,it looks generic,boring maps and gave me a headache from idk bad lighting or something.I got bored with Wow quickly but would play Wow over WS anyday.IMO WS looks and plays like a f2p game.

To me it is easily FFXI as most under rated,not advertised during the Wow haydays,still many have never played it or never understood what they were playing and tried to play it like Wow.FFXi set the standard for content ideas,class/combat structure that to this day nobody can match.If some game at least tried to put some effort into class/combat instead of fancy sliders to make cool hairdos i might consider a new game to sit on the throne.

Personally i don't like FORCING a BEST OF when nothing is really very good.
    Here is a tidbit to think about,HOW did mmorpg's sister site "basically same employees" give Zelda such high rating but gave Original Sin the best of lol.
    I have NO idea what criteria is used for ratings by most websites,it usually looks like a reason to get some advertisers games up there.
    velimiriusEponyxDamor

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• FusionFusion Member UncommonPosts: 1,398

Newnan said:

Best single player rpg botw.

It came in second. :)

Deservedly so, since it really has very little against the likes of D:OS2
    http://neocron-game.com/ - now totally F2P no cash-shops or micro transactions at all.
  • ShaighShaigh Member EpicPosts: 2,142
    Alomar said:
    Hmm, maybe I should give FFIV another shot. I played an hour of the closed beta, got to the first round of combat, and uninstalled right away due to how slow it seemed.

Also Destiny is not an mmo, so the term mmo-hybrid has mmo in it so it's also not an mmo-hybrid.
    I felt the same way about FF14, didn't help that gameplay felt like a repetition of wow/rift/swtor in final fantasy skin
    Iselin: And the next person who says "but it's a business, they need to make money" can just go fuck yourself.
  • BodeanGBodeanG Member UncommonPosts: 9
    edited December 2017
    Viper482 said:

If it makes you feel any better I thought FFXIV was awful....I hated the linearness of the game...I couldn't even enter other zones....WHen a game is so rigid and forces you to follow quest lines, that is the worst.
    I'm with ya. Way to straight a path and too much hand holding. Never really understood the appeal.
  • spidiispidii Member UncommonPosts: 143
    "there’s no denying that Destiny 2 is a great persistent online shooter."

Yes there is.
    Phry
  • keithiankeithian Member UncommonPosts: 3,191
    "It’s a crime that WildStar isn’t more popular".

Holy crap. Get over it already. It was annoying how much Bill hyped this, as soon as I tried this game, tried the so called 'Explorer' class, and soon realized it was like playing Super Mario Brothers, that is not exploring. ESO does much more justice to the world Exploring (if you don't use mods to show you where everything is). Now its dead, and you folks still won't let go. The game didn't do well because it just wasn't good to the majority of folks who played it. That doesn't make it a crime, it just is what it is and maybe you folks just hype bad games sometimes.

There Is Always Hope!

• JDis25JDis25 Member RarePosts: 1,353
    I don't agree with any of these except MMO of the year and it's not even my favorite MMO
    Now Playing: Bless / Summoners War
    Looking forward to: Crowfall / Lost Ark / Black Desert Mobile
  • IshkalIshkal Member UncommonPosts: 304
    Damn you are dead on with wildstar that game shoulda been HUGE it was so amazing in every way people want good games then spurn them when they appear cause they are to hard or to hardcore.
    bcbully
  • GwapoJoshGwapoJosh Member UncommonPosts: 1,030

Nasa said:

Destiny 2 is one big scam and should not qualify for any prestigious award.

I agree with this comment completely.
    Agent_JosephPhry

"You are all going to poop yourselves." BillMurphy

"Laugh and the world laughs with you. Weep and you weep alone."