Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

WoW clones, are we done with that?

MaurgrimMaurgrim Member RarePosts: 1,325
We got ESO, we got GW2, we got BDO and alike.

So are we done with the WoW clone talk or?
Iselin

Comments

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    It was some years ago any new MMORPG wanted to be Wow so yes, unless a new game tries just that again.
  • AAAMEOWAAAMEOW Member RarePosts: 1,605
    Just because developer isn't making wow clones, don't mean they are actually making mmorpg you like.  I wish for an atlantica online clones, but never happen.
  • iixviiiixiixviiiix Member RarePosts: 2,256
    Maurgrim said:
    We got ESO, we got GW2, we got BDO and alike.

So are we done with the WoW clone talk or?
    No we currently in WOW generation who think WOW is first and original of MMORPG .
    After 5 or 10 more years it will be minecraft generation
  • esc-joconnoresc-joconnor Member RarePosts: 1,097
    Loke666 said:
    It was some years ago any new MMORPG wanted to be Wow so yes, unless a new game tries just that again.
    I don't know, Asta online keeps popping it's head up!  XD
    I actually kinda liked that one. 
  • ThebeastttThebeasttt Member RarePosts: 1,130
    The only thing these developers should be copying is WoW's level of polish. Instead they seem to copy everything but.
    iixviiiixpantaro
  • IncomparableIncomparable Member UncommonPosts: 1,138
    WoW clones barely have an end game, thats the problem.

And after release they lose their subs but most likely by that point the investors make thier money back and thats why from an investors point of view it works but from a gamers point of view, you end playing a game that is just the same as other games but its a new grind with less end game hoping that they try to slowly add the content you want.

“Write bad things that are done to you in sand, but write the good things that happen to you on a piece of marble”

• deniterdeniter Member RarePosts: 1,430
    I wouldn't mind having a good quality clone of original unexpanded WoW. Besides that, i also look forward to more sandboxy MMOs, something that combines survival game features with an RPG in a vast virtual world.
    pantaro
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,508
    Apparently not, considering Blizzard has agreed to release Classic Servers.

;)
    ScotConstantineMerus[Deleted User]

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• cameltosiscameltosis Member LegendaryPosts: 3,707
    It depends on exactly what you mean by "WoW Clone". 

I think the themepark design paradigm still has legs. People like questing through boring storylines, exploring worlds and seeing bigger numbers. We like it single player and we like it massively multiplayer. The main threat to WoW clones is from these minimally multiplayer games like Destiny 2, Anthem etc. Lets face it, hardly any MMO leverages the massively-multiplayer part, so developers can achieve everything they want with something like Anthem, rather than needing to go full MMO. 

But, very specific wow clone - themepark, levels, power gaps, tab-targetting, trinity, endgame gear treadmill, dungeons and raids....maybe not. 
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,992
    Just like Camel said, what is a WoW clone? Of the three titles the OP mentioned I would say only BDO is not like WoW. ESO and GW2 are not WoW clones but they are like WoW. But then the WoW design is a themepark template, there are many permutations to that, the clones are more like rip offs.
  • dave6660dave6660 Member UncommonPosts: 2,699
    Black Desert can be accused of many things but being a WoW clone is not one of them.
    KyleranWaanYashaX

“There are certain queer times and occasions in this strange mixed affair we call life when a man takes this whole universe for a vast practical joke, though the wit thereof he but dimly discerns, and more than suspects that the joke is at nobody's expense but his own.”
    -- Herman Melville

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    WoW clones barely have an end game, thats the problem.

And after release they lose their subs but most likely by that point the investors make thier money back and thats why from an investors point of view it works but from a gamers point of view, you end playing a game that is just the same as other games but its a new grind with less end game hoping that they try to slowly add the content you want.
    Not really, they have plenty of endgame, it is just that it is repetetive and frankly rather boring.
    Maurgrimpantaro
  • RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383
    It's not the FOTM anymore, probably never will be again.

WoW Clones to...
    Online FPSes (COD, Planetside 2, Destiny, etc)
    Blocky World Builders (Minecraft, Trove, Terreria, EQNext, etc)
    MOBAs (LoL, DOTA, Paragon, Smite, etc)
    Hero Shooters (Overwatch, Paladins, Battleborn, TF2, etc)
    Survival (H1Z1, PUBG, Fortnite, etc)

It's just a revolving door, I have no idea what will be the next "big thing" but I don't think it will revolve back to the traditional themepark MMO, or MMOs in general.

Also, you can kind of see - sometimes the defining game of a genre comes out well ahead of the genre getting huge. TF2 is a good example - Overwatch was basically a TF2 clone, but put a lot more polish on it, and somehow that was enough to ignite a lot more "me toos". Same thing with survivals - PUBG certainly isn't the first or the best, but it's the one that made the genre blow up. You could even say the same thing about WoW - it wasn't the first or best, but it made the genre blow up.
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,754
    I think the fantasy setting will always have a place in gaming...There's just something special about Elves, Dwarves, Humans, etc......WoW was successful and comapnies are in it to make money, so they copy as much of it as they can...>At some point, someone will do another fantasy AAA MMO.
  • TheScavengerTheScavenger Member EpicPosts: 3,321
    edited December 2017
    I dunno, I haven't seen much variety in MMOs yet

With that said. Themeparks/sandparks have moved further ahead in "uniqueness" than sandbox games. Every sandbox game except Ryzom and SWG and UO is a deathmatch PvP clone. EVE Online is the only successful one of that.

Still waiting for a modern PVE sandbox MMO, but none have been made in a long time. Ryzom is dead, SWG isn't playable except on Emu and I can't play that since I won't torrent it, nor will I buy it since I'd rather download it at a steam or origin store or something similar. And UO is too old.

But themeparks/sandparks have moved ahead quite a bit. Biggest ones that are different are ESO (after one tamriel) and GW2. But as a sandbox MMO fan, its sad none are made with OPTIONAL PVE anymore, just old ones. And pvpers can have their own pvp server. So no one be forced to a certain playstyle. Dunno why they never do that, but it sure is limiting if you want to play a sandbox MMO and don't want to do PVP.

I bet sandbox MMOs would be a lot less niche if they did that, since MMOs have a far bigger PVE playerbase than PvP playerbase.

My Skyrim, Fallout 4, Starbound and WoW + other game mods at MODDB: 

https://www.moddb.com/mods/skyrim-anime-overhaul

• KirzanKirzan Member UncommonPosts: 60
    edited December 2017
    No matter the time, I'm always down for a really high quality, really polished themepark MMO with proper customization, a good grind, fun classes, and a dev that cares. I can only think of FFXIV 2.0+ as the only game since that brought that level of quality back into the sub-genre. Trion tried with RIFT but they couldn't keep up and stopped caring very early.

I think there's still room for a game like that. The only thing is, and publishers know that too: It needs to be very high in quality, very much up there, to be viable at this point. XIV is competitive and very much alive, but they're also pouring their soul into that game still to this day. Which is why I think that, as always, the only game to kill WoW will be Blizzard's next MMO. They know it too, it's why it doesn't exist... or some other giant AAA with a really good producer :D

EDIT: I guess Guild Wars 2 could have an honorable mention, as well as ESO. I just always thought they tried to be too simplistic, generic, or so horribly imbalanced, when it came to classes and their customization. Here's tons of classes with tons of specs and abilities from which 1 or 2 actually work! :thumbs_up:
  • KirzanKirzan Member UncommonPosts: 60
    edited December 2017
    It depends on exactly what you mean by "WoW Clone". 

I think the themepark design paradigm still has legs. People like questing through boring storylines, exploring worlds and seeing bigger numbers. We like it single player and we like it massively multiplayer. The main threat to WoW clones is from these minimally multiplayer games like Destiny 2, Anthem etc. Lets face it, hardly any MMO leverages the massively-multiplayer part, so developers can achieve everything they want with something like Anthem, rather than needing to go full MMO. 

But, very specific wow clone - themepark, levels, power gaps, tab-targetting, trinity, endgame gear treadmill, dungeons and raids....maybe not. 
    I agree with the threat part, but only when that game is made by people with experience in the MMO industry and what is required of them VS player expectations. Destiny (2) could have been great, but it's made with casuals in mind, with very vertical, very casual-friendly progression, in which the hardest content barely rewards anything. People grind it hard for a week, then all they have to do is their weeklies on Thursdays and they'll be "BiS (lol)" just as fast as anyone who actually plays all the time like an MMO player. In fact, being "BiS (again, lol)" doesn't even matter. That's what I mean by designers with MMO experience. These guys are terrible at the "carrot on a stick" game.
  • ShishamoShishamo Member UncommonPosts: 26
    AAAMEOW said:
    Just because developer isn't making wow clones, don't mean they are actually making mmorpg you like.  I wish for an atlantica online clones, but never happen.

That game started out soooo good. Shame it fell apart after beta.
  • EldurianEldurian Member EpicPosts: 2,736
    edited December 2017
    If a game has me pick a race and class at the start, then has me quest through a series of zones until I reach max level at which point I do "endgame content" like raids in order to earn "endgame gear" then it is a WoW clone IMO. Yes GW2 is a WoW clone. Yes ESO is a WoW clone. Yes Destiny is a WoW clone even though it isn't an MMO.

Yes there are MMOs that are not WoW clones. EVE, Runescape, Darkfall and Wurm Online to name a few.

Not being a WoW clone doesn't guarantee I will like your game, but being a WoW clone pretty much guarantees I won't.

And no, the industry is not done with it. As long as people are willing to defend the fact the ESO and GW2 "Aren't WoW Clones" and continue to play those games despite them only having a few differences from WoW then big developers will keep churning out clones and wondering why we get tired of them so fast (Or in my case simply refuse to try them at this point.)

Can't speak for BDO because I haven't tried it but it could be from what I know about it.
    Korlionwolfpack2012deniterNepheth
  • ShaighShaigh Member EpicPosts: 2,142
    Iselin: And the next person who says "but it's a business, they need to make money" can just go fuck yourself.
  • CalaruilCalaruil Member UncommonPosts: 141
    I still await a true replacement for Asherons Call with its magic and social systems.

that game introduced me to mmorpgs years ago and I loved it 
  • EldurianEldurian Member EpicPosts: 2,736
    edited December 2017

But themeparks/sandparks have moved ahead quite a bit. Biggest ones that are different are ESO (after one tamriel) and GW2. But as a sandbox MMO fan, its sad none are made with OPTIONAL PVE anymore, just old ones. 
    None of them are made for the most part. While Mortal Online is definitely a Darkfall clone I can't name too many games like what you are describing that are out of production. 

As to the ones in-production.

Crowfall has the ability to completely disable PVP in your eternal kingdoms and we won't know how viable that is as your main mode of play / how much of a gankfest the three faction PvP option will be until we see them.

We don't really know what Star Citizen will be like in terms or ganking yet and the different areas yet. There will certainly be areas that channel Darkfall and EVE but there may be areas that are pretty carebear too.

Life is Feudal is kind of a gankfest but it's also a very different game than Darkfall and MO with a massive emphasis on building your own settlements more like Wurm Online while Darkfall and MO are more focused on on pure combat and have far less true sandbox elements than LiF. At worst it's a clone of Wurm Online PvP servers.

Shroud of the Avatar isn't a gankfest at all. If anything it's closer to WoW than it is to games like Darkfall. It's also pretty bad and mainly seems to not be a Themepark rather because it lacks the structure of one more than that they've built in many viable sandbox elements outside town building but it falls outside your argument at least.

Pantheon may or may not be a WoW clone from what I understand of it but if it isn't then it doesn't seem like it will be a gankfest.

Chronicles of Elyria is another "We will have to wait and see how it turns out" situation.

I think the big thing to remember though is that the presence of Open World PvP in a game doesn't make it an Open World PvP gankfest title. Wurm Online is a great example of this. There are certainly some Open World PvP areas where you will get ganked if you go the the wrong part of the map or if you don't take shelter while raiding parties are storming through (It's really easy to avoid if you are in an area dominated by your faction and are at least semi-alert though). But the vast majority of the map is completely carebear with ganking totally disabled.
    Calaruil
  • VengeSunsoarVengeSunsoar Member EpicPosts: 6,601
    Eldurian said:
    If a game has me pick a race and class at the start, then has me quest through a series of zones until I reach max level at which point I do "endgame content" like raids in order to earn "endgame gear" then it is a WoW clone IMO. Yes GW2 is a WoW clone. Yes ESO is a WoW clone. Yes Destiny is a WoW clone even though it isn't an MMO.

Yes there are MMOs that are not WoW clones. EVE, Runescape, Darkfall and Wurm Online to name a few.

Not being a WoW clone doesn't guarantee I will like your game, but being a WoW clone pretty much guarantees I won't.

And no, the industry is not done with it. As long as people are willing to defend the fact the ESO and GW2 "Aren't WoW Clones" and continue to play those games despite them only having a few differences from WoW then big developers will keep churning out clones and wondering why we get tired of them so fast (Or in my case simply refuse to try them at this point.)

Can't speak for BDO because I haven't tried it but it could be from what I know about it.
    You could have played all the early games that came before wow like that.
    Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it is bad.
  • CalaruilCalaruil Member UncommonPosts: 141
    All games have to be something like that for instance.

Character creation - needed
    Zoned difficulty - not needed to wows extent but people won't like to constantly die in the same places over and over. especially near the start.
    End game raids - Again not needed but helpful to keep people playing

• SavageHorizonSavageHorizon Member EpicPosts: 3,466

EQ2 had all of the above and came before WOW, so it was EQ2 that led the way for themepark mmo's.