Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

SC is now selling tanks ...

12346»

Comments

• ErillionErillion Member EpicPosts: 10,297
    Kyleran said:
     such as building up a base,
    In my case:

* first player space station in EVE

* first Titan in the game

Have fun
    Kyleran
    edited December 2017
    I appreciate that you kind of answered the rhetorical portion of my post, however, you did not answer my question.

How to tanks fit into the scope of Star Citizen?

What I originally backed on Kickstarter was a space sim with the ability to engage in FPS style combat/situations. 5 years later, now tanks and land are being added. Which, I admit, seems like a really cool concept; however, I don't understand how they fit into the scope of Star Citizen, or even the stretch goals you mentioned. No where in those stretch goals are tanks/ground vehicles, unless you take the term "planetary aspects" to literally mean anything that can be done on a planet. In which case, Star Citizen has left the realm of space sim and gone into a "literally everything" simulator.
    As you already suspected .... it is my belief that tanks are part of the SC "planetary aspects" i mentioned.

It is interesting that two people can view the same Kickstarter announcement quite differently.

I backed because I wanted a second, better, modern Star Wars Galaxies. That means i always wanted far more than just a space sim with limited FPS situations. I always wanted that "First Person Universe". So I like a very broad and ambitious scope, even if it takes longer.

Yes, i personally understand "planetary aspects" in a sense that one should be able to do practically anything on a planet.  That these "planetary aspects" are allowing me to do a wide range of things.

Star Citizen has been described as a "First Person Universe" - to me that means more than just a space sim (e.g. more than Wing Commander or X-Wing).

Have fun

Post edited by Erillion on
  • Psychos1sPsychos1s Member UncommonPosts: 191
    Erillion said:
    Kyleran said:
    In my case:

Have fun
    Bit off topic.

Former ASCN?
  • EponyxDamorEponyxDamor Member RarePosts: 749
    edited December 2017
    Erillion said:
    I appreciate that you kind of answered the rhetorical portion of my post, however, you did not answer my question.

How to tanks fit into the scope of Star Citizen?

What I originally backed on Kickstarter was a space sim with the ability to engage in FPS style combat/situations. 5 years later, now tanks and land are being added. Which, I admit, seems like a really cool concept; however, I don't understand how they fit into the scope of Star Citizen, or even the stretch goals you mentioned. No where in those stretch goals are tanks/ground vehicles, unless you take the term "planetary aspects" to literally mean anything that can be done on a planet. In which case, Star Citizen has left the realm of space sim and gone into a "literally everything" simulator.
    As you already suspected .... it is my believe that tanks are part of the SC "planetary aspects" i mentioned.

It is interesting that two people can view the same Kickstarter announcement quite differently.

I backed because I wanted a second, better, modern Star Wars Galaxies. That means i always wanted far more than just a space sim with limited FPS situations. I always wanted that "First Person Universe". So I like a very broad and ambitious scope, even if it takes longer.

Yes, i personally understand "planetary aspects" in a sense that one should be able to do practically anything on a planet.  That these "planetary aspects" are allowing me to do a wide range of things.

Star Citizen has been described as a "First Person Universe" - to me that means more than just a space sim (e.g. more than Wing Commander or X-Wing).

Have fun

The promise of a "Literally Everything Simulator" is fascinating and all, but I'd like a finished product (or some capacity or scope) before they start adding more. Is it really unrealistic to think that they should finish specific aspects of the game (like the space sim portion, what was originally promised) before moving on to adding things like territory control/land-based vehicle combat on planets?

At this point, the goal post just keeps moving further and further away under the guise of your so-called "first person universe" (ie a mile-long list of stretch goals).

Honestly, I'd be happy with just SQ42 at this point. It's a very limited scope of game, compared to the wider vision of Star Citizen, but even news on that front has been very disappointing (ie non-existent).
  • GinazGinaz Member RarePosts: 2,470
    edited December 2017
    Looks like they figured out how to pay for the Crytek lawsuit.

BTW, whatever happened to the lawsuit Roberts was going to file against a journalist and his company for publishing "false" information?  All show, no go just like this "game"?
    beebop500cmacq

Is a man not entitled to the herp of his derp?

Remember, I live in a world where juggalos and yugioh players are real things.

• MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    Ginaz said:

BTW, whatever happened to the lawsuit Roberts was going to file against a journalist and his company for publishing "false" information?  All show, no go just like this "game"?
    What did happen to that?

• TalonsinTalonsin Member EpicPosts: 3,619
    Psychos1s said:
    Erillion said:
    Kyleran said:
    In my case:

Have fun
    Bit off topic.

Former ASCN?
    ASCN was a large industrial alliance/corp/guild in EVE Online that is credited with building the first titan in the game.  Sadly, being a bunch of builders in a pvp game saw them also have the first titan loss (their titan was destroyed).  Their titans corpse is still in the game as a monument.
    KyleranErillion
    "Sean (Murray) saying MP will be in the game is not remotely close to evidence that at the point of purchase people thought there was MP in the game."  - SEANMCAD

• KefoKefo Member EpicPosts: 4,229
    Ginaz said:

What did happen to that?
    Escapist took down their articles and Roberts took down the rant he posted.
    EponyxDamorBruceYee
  • MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    Kefo said:
    Ginaz said:

What did happen to that?
    Escapist took down their articles and Roberts took down the rant he posted.
    So basically "Hey, the publicity has died down from this now.  You wanna just drop it?" "Yup."

edited December 2017
    Psychos1s said:
    Erillion said:
    Kyleran said:
    In my case:

Have fun
    Bit off topic.

Former ASCN?
    Correct.

Former EDF (EVE Defense Force).

On the southern edge, Feythabolis sector. Old home base 0OYZ-G.

The first Titan :  "Steve".  I sometimes hide in that old wreck and wait in ambush ;-) even to this day (jump clones FTW ;-) )

But ASCN was - in my opinion - more proud of having built the first player space station compared to having built the first Doomsday weapon fleet killer in the game.

And as we speak about tanks ... a triple plated battleship was able to survive the Doomsday weapon. Barely.

Have fun
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    TANKS for the money.

EponyxDamorMadFrenchieSwaneaErillionMightyUnclean

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• Psychos1sPsychos1s Member UncommonPosts: 191
    Erillion said:
    Psychos1s said:
    Erillion said:
    Kyleran said:
    In my case:

Have fun
    Bit off topic.

Former ASCN?
    Correct.

Former EDF (EVE Defense Force).

On the southern edge, Feythabolis sector. Old home base 0OYZ-G.

The first Titan :  "Steve".  I sometimes hide in that old wreck and wait in ambush ;-) even to this day (jump clones FTW ;-) )

But ASCN was - in my opinion - more proud of having built the first player space station compared to having built the first Doomsday weapon fleet killer in the game.

And as we speak about tanks ... a triple plated battleship was able to survive the Doomsday weapon. Barely.

Have fun
    I'm ex ATUK / DICE

Was there the day steve went bang :smiley: but yeah always thought capitals ruined EvE, at least for me, now stick to small gang stuff whenever I go back, can't stand the F1 TIDI fest large engagements have become.

On topic

A serious question Erillion, do you ever look at the things they add and think maybe they need to tone it down a notch?
    Psychos1s said:

On topic

A serious question Erillion, do you ever look at the things they add and think maybe they need to tone it down a notch?
    Yes.

Especially since i watched the panel of "What goes into a single frame" at the last SC event.

There is an incredible amount of work going into visual fidelity and i suspect that many players wont see this anyway as they (at first) have to crank down the level of details to be able to play SC at acceptable frame rates. Although with the right hardware SC looks absolutely stunning. As PC technology progresses, players will be able to enjoy that high level of detail ... but most will not for quite some time.  So .... is THAT level of detail necessary at THIS time ?

The ship pipeline is debatable. I understand that some part of CIG's  workforce has to be kept busy in the areas they have expertise (=ships) and some comparatively new people have to start with the easier stuff, the single pilot ships. That is why we see quite a few of those. Not to mention that it boosts sales numbers. Personally i would prefer that they now concentrate on some of the older, larger, non combat designs like the Endeavor (and yes, i know, its low on the priority list).

When it comes to other areas i would like even more detail. I am a great fan of the SWG crafting system, where a crafter can be better than the rest with lots of experience, rare resources gathered over years and the best equipment (which was hard to gain in the first place). So ... a full non fighter career in a Sci Fi game.

Have fun
  • MightyUncleanMightyUnclean Member EpicPosts: 3,531
    When are they adding submarines to SC?  Or is that going to be a separate game?
    can't wait till they sell planets #epic 
    They already do.

Just buy 9 million land grants of 8 x 8 km size. 100 bucks each ... gives us 900 M$ for Star Citizen development. Hurray ! Some pesky other gamers may want a few thousand of those grants, but you will just burn them from your planet with volcanoes and drown them with tidal waves.

Have fun

[Deleted User]
  • RouzukiRouzuki Member UncommonPosts: 66
    edited December 2017
    can't wait till they sell planets #epic 
    I suspect something like that was already planned from the get go. But likely won't be a direct planet buy and instead will be a corp owning the territory on the planet in some way. 

Also yes I realize the comment was satirical in nature and probably meant about the pledges now rather than in game functionality later.
  • RouzukiRouzuki Member UncommonPosts: 66
    When are they adding submarines to SC?  Or is that going to be a separate game?
    I'm sorry, what did you think the S in SC stood for again?
    kikoodutroa8
  • Moxom914Moxom914 Member RarePosts: 731
    MaxBacon said:
    ...and what could be more P2W than a frigging tank.
    I think you got the game wrong, this ain't WOT. :)
    THERE HE IS