Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

MMORPG.com's Best of 2017 Awards - General Awards

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited December 2017 in News & Features Discussion

imageMMORPG.com's Best of 2017 Awards - General Awards

It hasn’t been a great year for NEW games in the MMO genre. But it sure was a pretty great year for veteran MMOs. So while we look forward to the crop of big Indie releases in 2018 and 2019, let’s look back at 2017 and count our blessings for the games that keep on pumping out great content. These were voted on by all staff, single vote only, and no ties were allowed. Some were close, but a winner was chosen in each category! Here is MMORPG.com’s Best of 2017 Awards.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Mikeha

Comments

• NewnanNewnan Member UncommonPosts: 98
    Best single player rpg botw.
    furion1025

Screw leveling games, give me something with "End game" at the beginning of the game.

• BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565

Newnan said:

Best single player rpg botw.

It came in second. :)

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
    Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

• SlyLoKSlyLoK Member RarePosts: 2,698
    I am going to have to try Final Fantasy.
  • AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,836
    I think it speaks of the sad state of the genre that there is no "best new MMO" category. There's simply nothing worth talking about this year.
    beebop500BillMurphyThupliViper482[Deleted User]GazimoffAgent_JosephSamhael3domAlomarand 14 others.
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955
    I know you like a click, but you could put this on one page with three buttons below it for us to click three times. Thanks ;)

Ashes of Creation won’t be out next year, in fact according to posters only Pantheon from the most voted list will and maybe not even that. But maybe you know better?

FF is a solid choice for the MMORPG.

Most underrated MMO? Unusual category, as there is rarely smoke without fire.

Divinity, is it even a MMO hybrid? Strong game for what I think of as Team Multiplayers.
    ForgrimmJamesGoblinLucienRene
  • TokkenTokken Member EpicPosts: 3,549
    BEST RPG OF 2017 - Divinity: Original Sin 2

YES!
    AlomarRelampagoSomeHumanEponyxDamorShodanas

Proud MMORPG.com member since March 2004!  Make PvE GREAT Again!

• Viper482Viper482 Member LegendaryPosts: 4,064
    Just my opinions.....Wildstar is just a bad game. It is not a crime for people to not like bad games. It looks great, it looks fun, but it just.....isn't. The game lacks the most important element in a game...fun.

I'll never understand the FFXIV craze, but to each their own with that one. Wildstar on the other hand, its failure after the ultra-hype (I bought in too) speaks volumes about the game.
    TheocritusNewnanboris20AlomarsakerEponyxDamorThunder073ZombieCatwandericaGinazand 5 others.
    Make MMORPG's Great Again!
  • AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    edited December 2017

Viper482 said:

Just my opinions.....Wildstar is just a bad game. It is not a crime for people to not like bad games. It looks great, it looks fun, but it just.....isn't. The game lacks the most important element in a game...fun.

I'll never understand the FFXIV craze, but to each their own with that one. Wildstar on the other hand, its failure after the ultra-hype (I bought in too) speaks volumes about the game.

Would agree on the Final Fashion XIV comment. The graphics are above average and the fights are pretty okay if you don't break down the 3 overlapping mechanics that they use for most fights (4 if you count falling off/pushed off). Everything else is barebones though, even the fashion element. But as you said, it seems the current generation is into this kind of thing. I'll say that it has a lot of potential though.
    Joseph_Kerr
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    I would have added The Division.  They made a lot of improvements and did a good job with free updates and improved loadouts management.  

ESO and the Morrowind expansion, adding the Warden class.

GW2 PoF expansion that added mounts.
    [Deleted User]CanibalolerGilcroixJoseph_KerrEnik

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• VyethVyeth Member UncommonPosts: 1,461
    ESO can reclaim this glory by taking more steps to fully reproduce the whole of Tamriel. Once they work out a scale and add the mainland holds of Skyrim to the map, the rest is a walk in the park.
    JamesGoblin[Deleted User]
  • cameltosiscameltosis Member LegendaryPosts: 3,706
    Best Hybrid MMO....uggh. 

Destiny 2 is not a hybrid MMO. There is nothing MMO about it! A 16 player online shooter is nowhere close to being massively multiplayer. Whilst I agree there is crossover appeal with the MMORPG crowd and I'm happy for you to cover such games, please don't contribute to dissolving the genre and misunderstanding of the term. You are supposed to be an authority on the genre so you should be able to distinguish between the technology (MMO - number of people in the same virtual environment) from the features (RPG - progression, loot, classes, dungeons, raids etc). 

As to the actual awards.....meh. Only three were about MMOs. 

Most Anticipated - Ashes of Creation. I really don't know much about it. It seems pretty sub-standard to me, just another indie sandbox, it just happened to raise marginally more money on kickstarter than other kickstarter MMOs. What are you most excited about? Only unique thing seems to be the AI driven political changes and town growth. Whilst that sounds good, it also sounds wildly unachievable on their budget. 

Most Underrated - Wildstar. Strongly disagree, as would the overwhelming majority of people who ever played it. Apart from housing, Wildstar seemed to fail at every single thing they attempted. Such a disjointed mess of a game. 

Best MMO - FFXIV. There were basically only two contenders for this, FFXIV and ESO. Nothing new this year, so only relying on oldies, most of which aren't getting much love. I'm surprised Stormblood beat Morrowind, but I guess there isn't much in it so doesn't matter which way it goes. 
    AlomarJamesGoblinRexKushmanShodanasViper482Thunder073BodeanGOzmodanJoseph_Kerrlecram64and 2 others.
  • RaquisRaquis Member RarePosts: 1,029
    not one of these games that are out is something to write home about,monster hunter i was hyped for and looking at the beta its average,its a sad state of affairs when you look at thats out there to play:(
    ashes of creations maybe will be not too bad,i can only hope!
    Thunder073
  • sarielissarielis Member UncommonPosts: 25
    I'm really looking forward to Pantheon more then aoc imho.
    TokkensakerBruceYeeThunder073AeliousBrizlynindyin
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    Since this list includes unreleased games as well I would add Star Citizen.  Win, lose, place, or show, they've gotten themselves in the records books and will remain a game discussed with great passion in the gaming industry for light years to come.  Pros and Cons dominate the forums here probably more then any other game. 

Hopefully this comment won't spark a twenty something page response. :wink:
    Viper482

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• calibekcalibek Member UncommonPosts: 300

Gorwe said:

I feel like such a Conservative. I'd take classic games over these new things any day in the week. For a reason or other, I distrust openly unknown.

Agree with you on this. They just don't make good games anymore. Hell to me the SNES was pinnacle of RPG with epic games like Secret of Evermore, Secret of Mana, Chrono Trigger, and the Lufia series.

Some games today are great but they just don't seem to come close to the passion that went into games of the past.

That or I'm just having nostalgia.

• Verum0Verum0 Member UncommonPosts: 55
    Anthem looks to be a good game. Division should have beet out Destiny 2 FF14 while I do play this game. There is much to be desired.
  • Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749
    :+1:  to @cameltosis ; (except the Wildstar part, while may not be the most underrated, it surely has a rep far worse than it would deserve)

Destiny 2 is NOT a hybrid mmo, neither a quasi mmo, nor an mmofps or any other made-up terms its fans try to staple onto it. Even if the list... errr and in here I'd :+1:  @Scot too, a "list" of 5, on 3 pages? :wink:  so even if the list is "General awards", and you really want to put it on there somewhere, then say the best pew pew (there were betters imo), or the best console port (no console ports are good), or anything you want, just not this hybrid mmo bullpoo. Thx. :smiley:
    cameltosisScotAlomarJamesGoblinScorchienRobsolf
  • NildenNilden Member EpicPosts: 3,916
    I really don't envy you guys having to do the year end lists...
    ScotRidelynnTokkenspeedylegs8

"You CAN'T buy ships for RL money." - MaxBacon

"classification of games into MMOs is not by rational reasoning" - nariusseldon

Love Minecraft. And check out my Youtube channel OhCanadaGamer

Try a MUD today at http://www.mudconnect.com/ 

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751
    Viper482 said:

If it makes you feel any better I thought FFXIV was awful....I hated the linearness of the game...I couldn't even enter other zones....WHen a game is so rigid and forces you to follow quest lines, that is the worst.
    Viper482BodeanGTindale111Enik
  • LuidenLuiden Member RarePosts: 336

Aeander said:

I think it speaks of the sad state of the genre that there is no "best new MMO" category. There's simply nothing worth talking about this year.

That could be applied to the last 10 years.
    Kyleran
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955

Nilden said:

I really don't envy you guys having to do the year end lists...

Why? They always go down well with a bunch of happy teddies like us. :)
  • 3dom3dom Member RarePosts: 889
    BTW there is a metric ton of new MMO(RPGs, strategies, arcades) released on Steam and mobile during this year (including MU, Albion Online). Just they are so minuscule that MMORPG.com somehow forgot to mention them at all.

I guess the golden age of MMORPGs is over and the market is only accessible to giant publishers.
    FrodoFragins

Thank you for your time!

• APThugAPThug Member RarePosts: 543
    I don't think Destiny 2 should win anything. Warframe and The Divison have come out with some really great content and updates. For hybird, my vote would be for Warframe.
    SomeHumanSAPninjaGinazshalissarCazrielBuccaneer

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    edited December 2017
    I only have 2 personal awards this year.

Best RPG: Persona 5
    Best Open World RPG: Horizon Zero Dawn.

I'm 80+ hours into Horizon(first playthrough) and i don't want to play anything else. It is so good i can't put it down. NG+ is waiting for me for sure.

Note: can't wait to play Zelda, but i keep hearing from many people who praised it at launch that after many hours in it gets too repetitive due to not having much to do in that huge map. I'm not looking forward to that. Ubisoft games have that same problem. I'll probably get it on WiiU since i still dont have a switch.
    [Deleted User]

• TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297
    Whoa whoa! I'm not letting you get away with suggesting Destiny is inspiring Borderlands. Destiny copied so much from Borderlands, and did it worse (The Loot!), that it's a legit clone with a Halo style skin on it.
    I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.