Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

SC is now selling tanks ...

Comments

• MensurMensur Member EpicPosts: 1,515
    after the tanks they will start selling space underwear!

mmorpg junkie since 1999

• CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130
    Kyleran said:
    Tamanous said:
    Hmm sponsor 10 children for a year so they don't die in poverty ... or buy a pretend space ship, fake land and a tank that has no game play function for a year or more?

Fake stuff FUCK YA!
    Stop, you are reminding me how F'd up people's priorities are these days.

That layer in hell for Conspicuous Wasters is going to be packed soild...

Meh..... I'm not a fan of the example being that Sally Struthers has been trying to help those kids for like 30 years with zero progress. So, for me, my money would probably be better spent on Star Citizen, if we're talking solely from a value perspective. Not saying you're wrong, there is plenty of shit that is a higher priority than SC, but the children in Africa is a problem that isn't solved with money. 

Crazkanuk

----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------

Kyleran said:
    Erillion said:
    Mawnee said:
    Viper482 said:
    I regret my meager $60 part in funding this pathetic crap.
    I agree, I haven't updated the client in a couple years. Which is just a ridiculous thing to say since there was supposed to be a game by now. They are still selling the same promises today, that they made what 3 or 4 years ago now? They just keep adding more non existent fluff to distract from the fact we still don't have the base game promised in the first place.
    Í have been playing the Alpha version of Star Citizen and enjoy it.

Have fun
    Every time someone says something like this it brings up a mental image of a person endlessly hitting golf balls at the driving range to hone their swing, hoping that someday the course itself will finally get built.

B)

It's something that us old folks simply can't understand. Why wait for a game to release when you can just play it in Alpha indefinitely. Why even release games these days? Ark is a perfect example. Hugely populate in Alpha, nobody cared at release. 
    Kyleran

Crazkanuk

----------------
    ----------------

• Dr_ShivinskiDr_Shivinski Member UncommonPosts: 311
    Erillion said:
    Kyleran said:
    Erillion said:

Have fun
    Every time someone says something like this it brings up a mental image of a person endlessly hitting golf balls at the driving range to hone their swing, hoping that someday the course itself will finally get built.

B)
    A better fitting mental image would be a horde of laughing friends crawling all over a golf course being build, practicising "guerilla-golfing" around any obstacle that presents itself, having a great time.

Have fun
    How much do they pay you?

I find it astounding that anyone can look at what CIG promises and say to themselves, "Yeah, this looks legitimate. Take my money!". They are trying to build 3 games at once and want to make them super graphically intensive and have them be seamlessly merged as one giant game with a budget of $175m? 

EA dropped $150m on Battlefront 2 and all we got was lootboxes. The fuck is CIG going to accomplish with $175m and 5 years of stacking promises? 
    beebop500
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,986
    Have they put any planets up for sale yet? Legal costs can be huge these days.
    beebop500
  • beebop500beebop500 Member UncommonPosts: 217
    Oh look, CIG got sued and now we have another "sale"......I believe myself and several others predicted this when the lawsuit news hit.  Wow, Roberts is some "genius"!
    "We are all as God made us, and many of us much worse." - Don Quixote
  • ErillionErillion Member EpicPosts: 10,297
    Erillion said:
    Kyleran said:
    Erillion said:

Have fun

B)
    A better fitting mental image would be a horde of laughing friends crawling all over a golf course being build, practicising "guerilla-golfing" around any obstacle that presents itself, having a great time.

Have fun
    How much do they pay you?

I find it astounding that anyone can look at what CIG promises and say to themselves, "Yeah, this looks legitimate. Take my money!". They are trying to build 3 games at once and want to make them super graphically intensive and have them be seamlessly merged as one giant game with a budget of $175m? 

EA dropped $150m on Battlefront 2 and all we got was lootboxes. The fuck is CIG going to accomplish with $175m and 5 years of stacking promises? 
    "They" pay me nothing.

It is a project and an idea i believe in and that is why i backed it. You may find it astounding, i find it invigorating. I did dig quite deep into what is necessary to make this project a reality and this certainly is not a trivial task. I try to keep informed on the project. I expected delays and bugs. I observe delays and bugs. None of it surprises me. But i personally see progress being made. And for me personally that is enough.

Furthermore i AM having a lot of fun playing it already in the Alpha version, together with friends.
    That is a lot more than i can say about various other games i tried to play, launched or in development.

Have fun
    beebop500 said:
    Oh look, CIG got sued and now we have another "sale"......I believe myself and several others predicted this when the lawsuit news hit.  Wow, Roberts is some "genius"!
    That post would make sense if CIG would not be doing this EVERY year. First an end-of-November anniversary sale and then a December X-Mas sale. 

Have fun
    Kyleran
  • ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534
    edited December 2017
    uch, you guys still raging over a clever marketing campaign?
    get over it, if you don't wanna support em, don't.

there are enough people willing to pay for a good game, understanding that devs actually need to be payed. you can have fun in your f2p games meanwhiles i guess .

uh and just a wild guess, out of that mob, how many of you actually played the game? thought so. the one up there :>
    Erillion

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

• Tiamat64Tiamat64 Member RarePosts: 1,545
    edited December 2017
    Accounting 101:  Making 174 million off of presales of a product then never being able to produce that product even with all that pre-sale revenue is NOT good business, contrary to what lots of people might think.  I guess that concept is really hard to grasp, apparently.  That explains why we accountants get paid so much because a lot of people can't grasp basic accounting concepts like that, I suppose.
    Scot said:
    Have they put any planets up for sale yet? Legal costs can be huge these days.
    Sure ... buy 9 million land grants of 8 x 8 km size. 100 bucks each ... gives us 900 M$ for Star Citizen development. Hurray ! Some pesky other gamers may want a few thousand of those grants, but you will just burn them from your planet with volcanoes and drown them with tidal waves.

Have fun
    Tiamat64 said:
    Accounting 101:  Making 174 million off of presales of a product then never being able to produce that product even with all that pre-sale revenue is NOT good business, contrary to what lots of people might think.  I guess that concept is really hard to grasp, apparently.  That explains why we accountants get paid so much because a lot of people can't grasp basic accounting concepts like that, I suppose.
    Worked for Samsung alright.  ;-)

Have fun
  • MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    Thane said:

there are enough people willing to pay for a good game, understanding that devs actually need to be payed. you can have fun in your f2p games meanwhiles i guess .

uh and just a wild guess, out of that mob, how many of you actually played the game? thought so. the one up there :>
    Why are you trying to label anyone who disagrees with SC's incredibly aggressive crowdfunding campaigns as free-loaders who won't pay for games?  That's a mental back handspring.
    MrMelGibson

Thane said:

Why are you trying to label anyone who disagrees with SC's incredibly aggressive crowdfunding campaigns as free-loaders who won't pay for games?  That's a mental back handspring.

I know, it's almost as hilarious as people labeling others as cultists. 

What's funnier is that fan was derived from fanatic which almost makes cultist redundant, minus the religious undertones. 
    MadFrenchieEponyxDamorKyleranMrMelGibson

Crazkanuk

----------------
    ----------------

• EldrachEldrach Member RarePosts: 417
    Fact is, even if they realize their game..it will be an unbalanced experience unless they severely hold back backer ships/tanks/cruisers/science vessels/ground vehicles/ground palaces etc. for a few weeks after launch.
  • MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    CrazKanuk said:
    Thane said:

What's funnier is that fan was derived from fanatic which almost makes cultist redundant, minus the religious undertones. 
    Ya see, fans stop short of where fanatics go...  Hence missing the last 5 letters. ;)
    CrazKanukTiamat64EponyxDamorKyleran

• rodarinrodarin Member EpicPosts: 2,611
    LMAO this is so beyond ridiculous. I mean its so out there Derek Smart barely even commented on it. Because its just so predictable now. I mean if they start sell xxxx is anyone really going to be surprised?

They could put a real world price on any jpeg they could draw, and people are going to buy it the white knights are going to defend it and the critics are going to comment on it. But how can it get any worse now? Its at over saturation level where the Give an F meter is broken because there isnt anything you can say at this point.

They know this, they know that they are left with the hardest of hardcore sheep so they can promote and put anything and everything up for sale and theyre not going to lose anyone over 'morale' outrage at this point.

Like someone said earlier the two groups deserve each other. A sick and twisted codependent relationship that is crumbling before their very eyes and they mist stoop to some unspoken agreement that desperation mode is absolutely necessary for both of them to 'survive'.

Psychologists should be having a field day with this. But theyre probably too busy writing papers on the crypto currency phenomenon. 
    Nilden
    CrazKanuk said:
    Thane said:

Ya see, fans stop short of where fanatics go...  Hence missing the last 5 letters. ;)

Gotcha! So only 43% fanatical :)
    MadFrenchieEponyxDamor

Crazkanuk

----------------
    ----------------

• Tiamat64Tiamat64 Member RarePosts: 1,545
    CrazKanuk said:
    CrazKanuk said:
    Thane said:

Gotcha! So only 43% fanatical :)

The whole point of the term "fanatical" is that it's a question of how much.  That's how language works.
    >>> desperation mode >>>

Fun thing is ... i have met many backers ... i have met quite a few devs ... and the desperation that @rodarin speaks of is nowhere to be seen.

People are hard at work, progress is being made, the task is not a trivial one, delays happen. Basically everyone i know (backers and devs) are pretty cool about it. We all would like to see it finished sooner rather than later. But we all prefer quality over a rush-job.

Maybe some people cannot understand that attitude. Cannot be helped. "The caravan goes on" and will reach its destination.

Have fun
  • Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,768
    They just keep adding on to what they promise. Every time they add more to the shop "Oh here's another feature, we will have fully functioning gas stations for your tanks just so you can fill up with an attendant who acts like a real life gas station attendant. Oh wait next stretch goal we will add functioning cars as well, and traffic, and a fully modeled Earth with accurate cities to go get a job on while you don't feel like flying around the galaxy". 
  • hyllyhhyllyh Member UncommonPosts: 477
    waiting for SC to sell pizza and maybe i'll get interressed! :)
  • NildenNilden Member EpicPosts: 3,916
    There is only one question on my mind regarding Star Citizen at this point...

What will they sell next?
    beebop500

"You CAN'T buy ships for RL money." - MaxBacon

"classification of games into MMOs is not by rational reasoning" - nariusseldon

Love Minecraft. And check out my Youtube channel OhCanadaGamer

Try a MUD today at http://www.mudconnect.com/ 

• EponyxDamorEponyxDamor Member RarePosts: 749
    edited December 2017
    So, again I ask, sincerely: How do tanks fit into the scope of Star Citizen?

I understand the game has changed (rather significantly) from the original Kickstarter, but I am genuinely interested in a space sim game with out-of-ship exploration. Tanks, land claims, and I'm assuming (eventually) other land-based sales just seem to be detracting from the whole space sim aspect of the game that was originally pitched. I can understand having land vehicles to a certain extent, for getting around the planets you want to explore, but tanks don't really make much since unless they're looking to put a lot more focus on land based content such as large scale territorial fights (ala Planetside).

So, I'm not really sure how much the scope has changed since the original Kickstarter; just looking for clarification.
    So, again I ask, sincerely: How do tanks fit into the scope of Star Citizen?

I understand the game has changed (rather significantly) from the original Kickstarter, but I am genuinely interested in a space sim game with out-of-ship exploration. Tanks, land claims, and I'm assuming (eventually) other land-based sales just seem to be detracting from the whole space sim aspect of the game that was originally pitched. I can understand having land vehicles to a certain extent, for getting around the planets you want to explore, but tanks don't really make much since unless they're looking to put a lot more focus on land based content such as large scale territorial fights (ala Planetside).

So, I'm not really sure how much the scope has changed since the original Kickstarter; just looking for clarification.
    In later stretch goals conquerable locations have been added to the list of objectives. This happened some years ago. Players can fight over possession of these locations. Space stations have been listed first. One can do this aready in the Alpha (Security Post Kareah). This list has later been extended to ground operations in another stretch goal.

Another stretch goal was about procedural generation, especially w.r.t. planetary environments.

The list of stretch goals added some 80 more points up to 2 years after the end of the Kickstarter campaign  in Nov 2012. CIG then stopped offering stretch goals, against the wishes of the community which wanted even more stretch goals.

With those stretch goals in mind and a highly successful PG development CIG had put some effort into planetary bases and all related materials (think: Ursa rover, hover bikes etc.) to fulfill the points promised in these stretch goals. Land claims, forge ships to craft and place bases  and ground vehicles (scout type jeeps and tracked type tanks) are just more aspects of this planetary aspect of the game.

So ... contrary to what some people claim w.r.t. scope creep .... CIG is doing exactly what they promised to their backers in the stretch goals.

Have fun