Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Funcom to Launch Limited Time 'Saga Servers' in 2018 - Age of Conan: Unchained - MMORPG.com

SystemSystem Member UncommonPosts: 12,599
edited December 2017 in News & Features Discussion

imageFuncom to Launch Limited Time 'Saga Servers' in 2018 - Age of Conan: Unchained - MMORPG.com

Age of Conan: Unchained News - The Age of Conan Facebook page has a brief note to let players know that 2018 will see the launch of "Saga Servers". Saga Servers will only be live for a limited amount of time and players can earn special rewards for completing objectives. "All players will start with a fresh new character that will be transferred to Crom after the saga server's live period ends".

Read the full story here

Comments

• AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    SWL is in a decline, right? Maybe they'll do SW survival game if it fails, or battle royal.
    Elethon
  • mklinicmklinic Member RarePosts: 1,981
    Sounds similar to Leagues in Path of Exile. Leagues generally introduce some form of new mechanic as well.

Would be curious to see the depth/content of the challenges when additional info is released. Depending on those details, this could be pretty neat and engaging or a pretty shallow attempt to push replay of existing content with minimal development effort. In the end; if people enjoy, I guess it doesn't matter which it turns out to be...
    [Deleted User]versulasPo_gg

-mklinic

"Do something right, no one remembers.
    Do something wrong, no one forgets"
    -from No One Remembers by In Strict Confidence

• MyrdynnMyrdynn Member RarePosts: 2,479
    this could be kind of a cool thing, like a month long server in WOW where the goal is to complete Molten Core or something
    Alomar[Deleted User]
  • DaakkonDaakkon Member UncommonPosts: 607
    Maybe it will make them re-consider keeping AoC on life support? If it brings players back this game could get a much needed boost on content.
  • AlomarAlomar Member RarePosts: 1,299
    Well, as someone who thoroughly enjoyed AoC and has tried several times over the years to get back into it, this has me interested.
    RexKushman
    Haxus Council Member
    21  year MMO veteran 
    PvP Raid Leader 
    Lover of The Witcher & CD Projekt Red
  • RawizRawiz Member UncommonPosts: 584
    edited December 2017
    So, funcom does nothing for this game for YEARS, but now suddenly new bs never mentioned anywhere? Seems like the The Last Mohican, but actually it's The Last Cashgrab.
    It's also very cute how their dev doesn't comment on anything that mentions cash shop. "Not his territory etc etc" - sure....
    Elethon
  • Viper482Viper482 Member LegendaryPosts: 4,064
    This game was so great for it's time, got a unfair bad rap.
    RexKushmanklash2defSBFordJunglecharlyAlomarpokrak
    Make MMORPG's Great Again!
  • DijonCyanideDijonCyanide Member UncommonPosts: 586
    Did Funcom & the staff ever deliver on that revamp of the, years in waiting, crafting system for AoC?
    JeroKane
  • TsiyaTsiya Member UncommonPosts: 280
    I'd take them up on their offer if they'd recover my account, which they refuse to do even though I have the box and the cd key. The email address domain they have doesn't even exist anymore, but all I get is canned responses.

• frostymugfrostymug Member RarePosts: 645

Rawiz said:

So, funcom does nothing for this game for YEARS, but now suddenly new bs never mentioned anywhere? Seems like the The Last Mohican, but actually it's The Last Cashgrab.
    It's also very cute how their dev doesn't comment on anything that mentions cash shop. "Not his territory etc etc" - sure....

I would guess it might have something to do with them creating Heroic Signatures and holding 50% of the gaming rights for the IP now.

Get the rights locked up long term/indefinitely, then exploit them fully.
    Po_gg
    AoC is a great game and it is a shame how things turned out. :'(
    pokrak
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    edited December 2017
    Nah a one time deal is non immersive,it is like saying ok for one month Watermelons will grow but never again.Rewards from some magical being in the sky,where do these rewards come from,did they forget the term IMMERSION?
    Simple ideas to stir up business does not sit with me,i want the GAME to be a game world ,i do not like outside interference like cash shops or devs input from outside the game world.

Now if they put in the effort to perhaps create special npc's and create the LORE behind them and the reason for them wanting certain items at certain times of the year,then all is good and done properly.

Example some northern npc's might need more furs to make winter clothes for the upcoming cold season,examples like that.Even better if the ideas are not lazily announced,players have to actually talk to npc's to find out their special seasonal needs.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• frostymugfrostymug Member RarePosts: 645
    It's another Diablo creeping into MMORPGs move. Just like seasons. special server, do your thing, then when season is over your character transfers to a regular char slot with whatever special loot.

Everyone is in on this Diablo MMO conspiracy! They're conditioning us now
    BruceYee
  • DrunkWolfDrunkWolf Member RarePosts: 1,701
    i wonder if the server will be pvp. early conan pvp was alot of fun thats the only way i would try this.
    Bellomopokrak
  • HeretiqueHeretique Member RarePosts: 1,535
    AoC is a great game but has been written off by many. Initial launch woes caused people to leave and the ones that stayed stuck around in hopes the features promised would come, too little too late for some.

Unfortunate.
  • AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    Well I might actually waste time on it. The last time I actually tried getting into this game was a couple of years ago and saw no one for the 5 hours I played so maybe I'll see actually people this time.
  • Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749
    Daakkon said:
    Maybe it will make them re-consider keeping AoC on life support? If it brings players back this game could get a much needed boost on content.
    No need to reconsider, it is on maintenance mode since years. No need to "bring back" players either, it still has a decent population. And there won't be a boost on content, there's no new content for it (hence the maintenance mode)
    It is more like a PR move as @frostymug said. Putting a bit of a spotlight onto the IP now that they got control over its use in interactive media (aka games).

Still a great news for the morning, I used to play quite often now that they've killed TSW, but for the christmas events I went with STO and LotRO. My plan was an AoC-heavy January, and with this news it just got better :wink:
    But as @mklinic said there are still a lot of details missing. Will it be sub-only, like EQ does? What will be the ruleset? How's the character transfer at the end, plus one slot or not? (without an open slot the character will be lost? then it's just a fairly shady way of selling more char.slots at the end of the server :wink: ) How it will be maintained, with the game is on maintenance and even the main servers have (almost) no support at all? Sure, there are server restarts occasionally.

Did Funcom & the staff ever deliver on that revamp of the, years in waiting, crafting system for AoC?
    Dijon, the crafting revamp was officially cancelled years ago. After that this new stuff, Exiles, was announced, and at launch turned out it has a lot of things which were leaked during the years in dev notes and streams as part of the crafting revamp.
    I'm sure it is just coincidence and not something like "why add it into AoC, let's sell it as a standalone game instead", nah, surely not that, it must be a coincidence.

(Not...  :smiley: )
    If you go to the official forums the devs said you get a free character slot specifically for this server. I too used to play this game and I am saddened everytime I think about how it turned out and what the game is like now.

I truly love the conan IP and while conan exiles is a good game, it's really rough around the edges and needs quite a bit of work still.

Also to those saying this is a stupid system. Shadowbane used to have servers like this, and now Crowfall. Many games have this type of system and lots of people enjoy it and I honestly think it would bring me back for a little while. I just wish they forgot about TSW altogether and focused on this instead. It was the better game of the two in my opinion. But I also know im of the minority on that.
    Alomarpokrak
  • JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,965
    It would actually be fun to go through Tortage again and the early content in general, which was the best really!
    Especially since everyone will be starting at lvl1 again, so that would be awesome since you can then actually do the old Tortage group stuff, etc.
    [Deleted User]Alomar
  • Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749
    edited December 2017
    Daakkon said:
    If you go to the official forums the devs said you get a free character slot specifically for this server.
    I just wish they forgot about TSW altogether and focused on this instead. It was the better game of the two in my opinion.
    Yep, what I ment is after the server is gone, we will keep that extra slot (and simply under the character on it will switched to Crom automatically) or we have to move the character to an open slot. In most companies it wouldn't even be a question, but this is Funcom :smiley:  they don't hand out freebies usually, and I don't remember many char.slot increases besides the last anniversary giveaway.
    And this case will clearly one slot above the top for accounts with the max. character slots available... anyhow, we will see when they drop out details.

I thought TSW is better (it's Ragnar, afterall :wink: ) that's why I only played AoC maybe 2 months per year while TSW was here. But your wish was fulfilled quite early, they forgot about TSW after Issue 11. Too bad their focus is always on making something new from the money of the previous games, so focusing back on AoC was never really an option...
    (to see something good in the bad, now I play 4-5 months of AoC per year, based on the releases of my other two games :smiley: )

edit: ment for Daakkon just JK posted inbetween so I added the quote :wink:
  • aCi11i3saCi11i3s Member UncommonPosts: 54
    Funcom still owes us a chest from one of the first Vistrix kills