Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Squadron 42: See Mark Hamill in Action in Nifty New In-Game Video - Star Citizen Videos - MMORPG.com

SystemSystem Member UncommonPosts: 12,599
edited December 2017 in Videos Discussion

imageSquadron 42: See Mark Hamill in Action in Nifty New In-Game Video - Star Citizen Videos - MMORPG.com

Roberts Space Industries seems to be ramping up for another free weekend and perhaps more news about when 3.0 and / or Squadron 42 might be prepping for testing or...more? Regardless, IGN has posted a brand new video showing Mark Hamill's character, Old Man Colton, in game interacting with a player.

Read the full story here

WalkinGlenn

Comments

• XarkoXarko Member EpicPosts: 1,180
    The character looks more like old Luke Skywalker than actual Mark Hamill.
    SBFordMrMelGibsonwingoodSemiel
  • Tiamat64Tiamat64 Member RarePosts: 1,545
    Hopefully the gameplay graphics will be better than those cutscenes.
    Lurianargoobsnews
  • AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671

Xarko said:

lol yeah I was honestly waiting for him to pull out a light saber
    SBFordOctagon7711MrMelGibsonwingood
  • HorusraHorusra Member EpicPosts: 4,411
    Albatroes said:

Xarko said:

lol yeah I was honestly waiting for him to pull out a light saber

Or maybe just suck like in his latest movie.
    EponyxDamorJeroKane
  • donpadrexdonpadrex Member UncommonPosts: 46
    "Games to watch 2028" . There fixed it.
    SBFordbwwianakievJeffSpicoliMrMelGibsonShadowStyleBwingoodIceAgegoobsnews
  • SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
    am i the only one who thinks spending money on voice actors and the like a total waste of money?
    BruceYeeWalkinGlennKellerEponyxDamorwingoodgoobsnewsDrakzillah

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

• ShaighShaigh Member EpicPosts: 2,142
    SEANMCAD said:
    am i the only one who thinks spending money on voice actors and the like a total waste of money?
    Well known voice actors can help promote a game and using mark hamill for promotion around the time a star wars movie is up on theatre is smart business.
    VoidfarerMaxBaconErillionOctagon7711JeroKaneAzaron_NightbladeWraithoneTacticalZombehDrakzillah
    Iselin: And the next person who says "but it's a business, they need to make money" can just go fuck yourself.
  • AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    edited December 2017

SEANMCAD said:

Depends. If you do it half-assed like SE with FFXIV, then yes probably. But you still have games like WoW, GW2, SWOTR, and ESO that have pretty good voice acting in all of their relevant content which makes it more immersive for many, myself included, as least from a story perspective.
    JeroKaneThexReportertirwenTacticalZombeh
  • sgelsgel Member EpicPosts: 2,197
    Oh god the writing is going to be campy as hell isn't it? :D

..Cake..

• MaxBaconMaxBacon Member LegendaryPosts: 7,766
    edited December 2017
    Waiting for tomorrow to for the actual live stream where they'll show the whole thing, the Wing Commander vibe is cool

Shaigh said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    Well known voice actors can help promote a game and using mark hamill for promotion around the time a star wars movie is up on theatre is smart business.
    Yup, exactly.

Mark Hamil was actually one actor of Wing Commander itself, so this is something really cool for the fans of the WC series to see him back :)
    JeroKane
  • Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,988

SEANMCAD said:

Depends on the game. For me.. a Wing Commander junkie... it's right up my alley.

Thats said... sounds like Grumpy Luke from Last Jedi
    MaxBaconIselinWraithone

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

edited December 2017
    When it was known Hamill was in the cast I wouldn't have imagined he would play a grumpy old man
    JeroKane
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719

SEANMCAD said:

Depends on the game. For me.. a Wing Commander junkie... it's right up my alley.

Hamil has never been a name that comes to my mind when I think of good actors. The original SW trilogy was pretty well it for him.

I just saw The Last Jedi last night and I thought he was the weak link in that as well.
    EponyxDamorJeroKane
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    edited December 2017
    In general I see "voice acting" as situational.

First a company is their time if they ignore gameplay etc. if they believe that hiring actors will cover the shortcomings. And having voice acting just "because" wonlt add anything either.

However in the right circumstances I believe it can be very positive. And this looks like obe of those situations.

First - in this case - the folks hired are not smply being hired as "voice actors" but as "actors". Mo-cap is being used so its not just the actors voices but faces and facial expressions in particular (body movement as well I assume but the facial stuff is probably key). And if they didn't use mo-cap an animator would have to do it from scratch. So more use is being made of the actors skillset. Actors, especially experienced ones, will - if allowed - be able to help the production as well. as they will may have been involved in make-up, staging, script development, mo-cap etc. 

- Second more immersion - players are more likely to "relate" to actors they know. Even if they seitch off the audio after the first run through!

- Third publicity. And SC have "lucked out" here. Not just with Mark Hammil either but with Liam Cunningham (GoT). 

So I think the question is a valid one; the answer is "it depends" and in this case the answer looks like yes. 
  • jitter77jitter77 Member UncommonPosts: 512

Iselin said:

SEANMCAD said:

Hamil has never been a name that comes to my mind when I think of good actors. The original SW trilogy was pretty well it for him.

I just saw The Last Jedi last night and I thought he was the weak link in that as well.

He was excellent as the joker in batman
    MaxBaconMrMelGibson
  • Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,988
    Iselin said:

SEANMCAD said:

Come on...  you think he was weaker than Space Leia and the whole slow motion chase scene that takes the entire movie and nobody can even think about jumping ahead of the front ship?  He's better on screen (even in Grumpy Luke form) than Driver, Ridley and Boyega combined.  Only one with on screen charisma is Isaac and he basically plays a crazy person in this movie.

EponyxDamor

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

jitter77 said:
    He was excellent as the joker in batman
    Yeah that is one joker laugh nobody can forget I think haha
    Slapshot1188Octagon7711JeffSpicoliRolanStormAlbatroesMrMelGibsonEponyxDamorXarkoInebriatedSkunktirwenand 1 other.
  • DAOWAceDAOWAce Member UncommonPosts: 433
    edited December 2017
    Ah, another year, another trailer.

Can't wait for the release in 2042.
    ShadowStyleBXarkoDrakzillah
  • hfztthfztt Member RarePosts: 1,401

sgel said:

Oh god the writing is going to be campy as hell isn't it? :D

At least as good as Wing Commander - The movie...
    Arglebargle
  • EhliyaEhliya Member UncommonPosts: 223
    I would have added three seconds at the end for a Joker laugh as they take off
  • TofkeTofke Member UncommonPosts: 342
    Cashing in on the Star Wars hype ey...
    JeffSpicoliEponyxDamorwingood
    edited December 2017
    Ehliya said:
    I would have added three seconds at the end for a Joker laugh as they take off
    Maybe on the story, the character gets captured by enemy aliens and becomes captive and tortured for many years, once you the player get to release him he looks at the sky and does the joker laugh in a happy but creepy way. There's a context to get away with it haha
  • bwwianakievbwwianakiev Member UncommonPosts: 119
    edited December 2017
    Iselin said:

SEANMCAD said:

He's the best voice actor in the business. The animated joker, both in the series and in the arkham games. Sooo... just because your brain doesn't associate him with a great voice actor, does not mean he is not to the industry.
    ScotchUp
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    Iselin said:

SEANMCAD said:

They trashed a lot of characters in that movie.  
    ScotchUpSlapshot1188

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey