Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What to play in 2018?

Comments

• AeliousAelious Member RarePosts: 3,521
    Pantheon is the only one on my watch list for 2018.

I will be playing P99, WoW (classic when released), and LoL.
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955
    edited December 2017
    Scot said:
    There are 7 or 8 MMO's on the most voted list, any of those coming out in 2018?

Thanksfor the "insightful", it was a genuine question. :)

From what posters have said only one on this sites wish list will come out in 2018, Pantheon?

So when it comes to: Ashes of Creation, Chronicles of Elyria, Crowfall, Camelot Unchained, Trials of Ascension, Infinity: The Quest for Earth. None are to be released in 2018?

Well Pantheon needs to be really, really good then or stick to your favourite MMO I guess.
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955
    Scot said:

Well Pantheon needs to be really, really good then or stick to your favourite MMO I guess.
    I'm feeling tears and rage coming when people realize it's NOT what they thought it would be ;)

I haven't really looked at any on the most voted list, I never do; I will put some tissues aside for the day after launch. :)
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Between splitting my game time between Black Desert Online and Eve online and the odd CS:GO match, i am going to try and play Mass Effect 1 and hopefully, Dragon Age2. Hopefully i'll even have time to fit in a few episodes of The Orville :p
    [Deleted User]
  • SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
    in 2018 my cycle will likely be 

Elite Dangerous
    Medieval Engineers
    Space Engineers
    RimWorld
    Hospitalize
    City Skylines
    Planet Coaster.

Likely just the first two though

[Deleted User]

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

• k4tek4te Member CommonPosts: 11
    I'm gonna try out Closers since they're already selling a pre-release version. Otherwise, I'd probably stick to Monster Hunter World or keep playing Blade & Soul.
  • DaikuruDaikuru Member RarePosts: 797
    wanderica said:
    Pantheon is the only MMO that I hope will launch in some fashion in 2018.

SP games are also not very interesting to me looking to next year.  Cuberpunk 2077 might come out in 2018, though, and I'll play that for sure.
    From what i've read, its more likely that it will be released 2019/2020.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

- Albert Einstein

• GaladournGaladourn Member RarePosts: 1,813
    If Classic WoW releases in 2018, that's the game to play.
  • DaikuruDaikuru Member RarePosts: 797
    Scot said:
    Scot said:

From what posters have said only one on this sites wish list will come out in 2018, Pantheon?

So when it comes to: Ashes of Creation, Chronicles of Elyria, Crowfall, Camelot Unchained, Trials of Ascension, Infinity: The Quest for Earth. None are to be released in 2018?

I guess Crowfall is the furthest in development, so if one of those will make it in 2018, its most likely that it will be Crowfall, but of course i cant say it for sure, just a guess. :D
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

- Albert Einstein

• Agent_JosephAgent_Joseph Member UncommonPosts: 1,361
    Secret World legends & D3 , if  they done ;Wild West Online & Warhammer 40k : Inquisitor - Martyr
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,002
    edited December 2017
    Scot said:

I'm feeling tears and rage coming when people realize it's NOT what they thought it would be ;)
    I think that's going to be on them (of course, nothing changes does it?). The developers of Pantheon have been very clear what the game is about.

As far as what I'm playing ... in 2018

old games such as Morrowind, Skyrim and I'm going through Daggerfall.

Black Desert/Elder Scrolls Online

I need to restart and finish Alien Isolation.

I am strongly tempted to download Darkfall New Dawn

Conan Exiles.

Hmmm, hope something new comes along that entices!
    [Deleted User]
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • EmoqqboyEmoqqboy Member UncommonPosts: 194
    I'm praying Lost Ark makes its western transition lol. Unlikely, but i can hope, right?

<QQ moar plz. kkthxbai.>

• ShaighShaigh Member EpicPosts: 2,142
    Scot said:
    Scot said:

Trials of ascension and infinity: the quest for earth are pretty much vaporware, its hard to tell if those games are still in serious development.

Chronicles of elyria and ashes of creation are still in very early development, pantheon is all about making more content for the early/mid game, they have the base (trinity) classes ready but that's pretty much it. Its hard to judge camelot unchained because its rare they show long gameplay but the most damning thing about that game is they have said beta is close for 2 years now.

Crowfall, biggest problem is that it feels more like testing modules instead of the game they have promised and if developer choose to call their current phase pre-alpha I'm going to call bullshit on the game being released within a year unless buggy beta is the new release. They said release in 2016 in 2015, 2017 in 2016 and now its 2018 in 2017.

If you want to play a new indie mmorpg the next one will be life is feudal.
    Iselin: And the next person who says "but it's a business, they need to make money" can just go fuck yourself.
  • cameltosiscameltosis Member LegendaryPosts: 3,706
    Scot said:
    Scot said:

It's really hard to tell with all of the indie titles when anything will get released. 

Most of them are being developed using off-the-shelf engines and so have been able to show off their world building and general aesthetic fairly quickly. This gives the impression that they are a lot further along than they actually are and most of them still need to hack in all of their complicated additional mechanics into the engine. Given that that is the hard bit, it is impossible to tell what will happen. 

My expectation is that most will launch late 2018 / 2019, but that the additional mechanics (the bits that are supposed to set them apart from existing MMORPGs) will be buggy as hell or just not there at all. 

Out of all the indie titles using off-the-shelf engines, Crowfall is probably the furthest along and most likely to launch in 2018. 

Camelot Unchained is the odd one out. They've built their own bespoke engine for their game, one that can actually handle being a massively-multiplayer game. They're targeting 1000+ player battles which is amazing (all the others are likely to be unplayable once they hit 50+) and have topped out at over 2000 players/bots in their internal testing. What this means is that CU has done all the hard stuff first (and had to re-do their ability system which caused 1yr delay) but they're now moving onto the more straight forwards bits. We're expecting a big announcement in January (should be beta 1) so CU will probably see the most movement / progression in 2018 but still unlikely to launch until 2019. 
    Scot said:
    Scot said:

It's really hard to tell with all of the indie titles when anything will get released. 

Most of them are being developed using off-the-shelf engines and so have been able to show off their world building and general aesthetic fairly quickly. This gives the impression that they are a lot further along than they actually are and most of them still need to hack in all of their complicated additional mechanics into the engine. Given that that is the hard bit, it is impossible to tell what will happen. 

My expectation is that most will launch late 2018 / 2019, but that the additional mechanics (the bits that are supposed to set them apart from existing MMORPGs) will be buggy as hell or just not there at all. 

Out of all the indie titles using off-the-shelf engines, Crowfall is probably the furthest along and most likely to launch in 2018. 

Camelot Unchained is the odd one out. They've built their own bespoke engine for their game, one that can actually handle being a massively-multiplayer game. They're targeting 1000+ player battles which is amazing (all the others are likely to be unplayable once they hit 50+) and have topped out at over 2000 players/bots in their internal testing. What this means is that CU has done all the hard stuff first (and had to re-do their ability system which caused 1yr delay) but they're now moving onto the more straight forwards bits. We're expecting a big announcement in January (should be beta 1) so CU will probably see the most movement / progression in 2018 but still unlikely to launch until 2019. 
    I can help. I keep a small list handy becaue I dont want to retype it everytime this come up.
    Here is a small list (I can make it larger if needed) of great 'indie' games worth taking a look at. All of which I played and enjoyed a lot. The only one that once had a game breaking bug was Kenshi which I would assume they have since fixed

Space Engineers
    Medieval Engineers

7 Days to Die

Imperium Galactic Survival

The Forest

Subnautica

Life is Feudal

Stranded Deep

From the Depths

Kerbal Space Program

StarMade

Another Brick in the Mall

Elite Dangerous

Cities Skylines

Planet Coaster

Kenshi

RimWorld

Hospitalize

Kingdoms

Wurm Unlimited

My Summer Car

Banished

Out of Reach

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719

If CU is playable sometime in 2018 I'll be all over that.
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• EmoqqboyEmoqqboy Member UncommonPosts: 194
    edited December 2017
    Shaigh said:
    Scot said:
    Scot said:

Trials of ascension and infinity: the quest for earth are pretty much vaporware, its hard to tell if those games are still in serious development.

Chronicles of elyria and ashes of creation are still in very early development, pantheon is all about making more content for the early/mid game, they have the base (trinity) classes ready but that's pretty much it. Its hard to judge camelot unchained because its rare they show long gameplay but the most damning thing about that game is they have said beta is close for 2 years now.

Crowfall, biggest problem is that it feels more like testing modules instead of the game they have promised and if developer choose to call their current phase pre-alpha I'm going to call bullshit on the game being released within a year unless buggy beta is the new release. They said release in 2016 in 2015, 2017 in 2016 and now its 2018 in 2017.

If you want to play a new indie mmorpg the next one will be life is feudal.
    NCsoft took more than 5 years to finally bring Blade and soul to the west, nothing surprising with the terrible delays and broken promises. They often keep lying about release dates because truthfully, if they say 2020, they will lose total hype and nobody would care about their game anymore, and all their fans will be gone.

Lets be realistic here, we're spoilt rotten for game choices these days. There are too many choices, and NOBODY is gonna wait around 3-4 years for ANY game. Once time and money is invested in some other game, majority of the players will find it hard to switch games, unless that game is better by EPIC proportions.
    Scot

<QQ moar plz. kkthxbai.>

SEANMCAD said:
    Scot said:
    Scot said:

I can help. I keep a small list handy becaue I dont want to retype it everytime this come up.
    Here is a small list (I can make it larger if needed) of great 'indie' games worth taking a look at. All of which I played and enjoyed a lot. The only one that once had a game breaking bug was Kenshi which I would assume they have since fixed

Space Engineers
    Medieval Engineers

7 Days to Die

The Forest

Subnautica

Life is Feudal

Stranded Deep

From the Depths

Kerbal Space Program

StarMade

Elite Dangerous

Cities Skylines

Planet Coaster

Kenshi

RimWorld

Hospitalize

Kingdoms

Wurm Unlimited

My Summer Car

Banished

Out of Reach

You respond to a discussion about indie MMOs by suggesting we play non-MMOs? How is that helpful or even relevant?
    edited December 2017
    SEANMCAD said:
    Scot said:
    Scot said:

Space Engineers
    Medieval Engineers

7 Days to Die

The Forest

Subnautica

Life is Feudal

Stranded Deep

From the Depths

Kerbal Space Program

StarMade

Elite Dangerous

Cities Skylines

Planet Coaster

Kenshi

RimWorld

Hospitalize

Kingdoms

Wurm Unlimited

My Summer Car

Banished

Out of Reach

You respond to a discussion about indie MMOs by suggesting we play non-MMOs? How is that helpful or even relevant?
    because if you cant find anything to play I thought I would give you some alternatives so that you can (like me) enjoy your gaming experience.

I suppose you just not interested in such help?

that said, please re-read the OP where he lists 'non-mmo'

thanks

SEANMCAD said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    Scot said:
    Scot said:

Space Engineers
    Medieval Engineers

7 Days to Die

The Forest

Subnautica

Life is Feudal

Stranded Deep

From the Depths

Kerbal Space Program

StarMade

Elite Dangerous

Cities Skylines

Planet Coaster

Kenshi

RimWorld

Hospitalize

Kingdoms

Wurm Unlimited

My Summer Car

Banished

Out of Reach

because if you cant find anything to play I thought I would give you some alternatives so that you can (like me) enjoy your gaming experience.

thanks
    The posts you quoted were only talking about indie MMOs. 

I personally can't find any MMOs worth playing at the moment, but I do play lots of other genres and have no problem finding good games. I really struggle within the indie community as they're mostly shit, but thats just my personal preference which is obviously vastly different to your own. 
    edited December 2017
    SEANMCAD said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    Scot said:
    Scot said:

Space Engineers
    Medieval Engineers

7 Days to Die

The Forest

Subnautica

Life is Feudal

Stranded Deep

From the Depths

Kerbal Space Program

StarMade

Elite Dangerous

Cities Skylines

Planet Coaster

Kenshi

RimWorld

Hospitalize

Kingdoms

Wurm Unlimited

My Summer Car

Banished

Out of Reach

thanks

I personally can't find any MMOs worth playing at the moment, but I do play lots of other genres and have no problem finding good games. I really struggle within the indie community as they're mostly shit, but thats just my personal preference which is obviously vastly different to your own. 
    ok well sorry about that, I was going via the OP. discard my suggestions I was just (as usual) trying to offer some alterative suggestions but as usual (yes I am playing the victim) such suggestions are dismissed, carry on with the grief :)

EDIT: that said, I would suggest Wurm Online. I consider that the best MMO out there of any kind. I can understand why people would not like Wurm Online but I cant understand why someone would like something like EQ2 that has no building in it at all and a very basic crafting system. I guess what I am saying is that although I understand why someone might not like Wurm online what I dont understand is why one likes doing nearly absolutely nothing whatsoever in a game other than smashing mobs
    Post edited by SEANMCAD on

SEANMCAD said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    Scot said:
    Scot said:

Space Engineers
    Medieval Engineers

7 Days to Die

The Forest

Subnautica

Life is Feudal

Stranded Deep

From the Depths

Kerbal Space Program

StarMade

Elite Dangerous

Cities Skylines

Planet Coaster

Kenshi

RimWorld

Hospitalize

Kingdoms

Wurm Unlimited

My Summer Car

Banished

Out of Reach

thanks

ok well sorry about that, I was going via the OP. discard my suggestions I was just (as usual) trying to offer some alterative suggestions but as usual (yes I am playing the victim) such suggestions are dismissed, carry on with the grief :)

EDIT: that said, I would suggest Wurm Online. I consider that the best MMO out there of any kind. I can understand why people would not like Wurm Online but I cant understand why someone would like something like EQ2 that has no building in it at all and a very basic crafting system. I guess what I am saying is that although I understand why someone might not like Wurm online what I dont understand is why one likes doing nearly absolutely nothing whatsoever in a game other than smashing mobs
    I'm a very combat orientated MMO gamer (I like other things in single player games). 

As always, it comes down to gameplay. Combat is simply more fun than anything else. It lends itself best to cooperating with other people or competing against them. It combines logic problems with psychological problems so it is intellectually stimulating, all backed up by being under a time pressure requiring quick reactions. 

Everything else just pales by comparison. 

Sadly, the very reasons why I like combat are the same reasons I no longer play MMOs. Combat has been dumbed down so far that it is no longer intellectually engaging and thus no longer enjoyable, so I have reverted to single player games. 

So, as always, it comes down to personal preferences. You love crafting which is why you've gotten heavily into the indie scene. The indie scene has exploded with crafting-focused games, be it things like KSP or Besieged which are basically tech demoes, or more fully thought out games like 7DTD. 

I hate crafting, so those games hold no interest at all. The core gameplay just sucks and is totally mindnumbing for me. Something like KSP was entertaining for me for about 10 hours, but then the novelty of designing a spaceship wore off and I found the realistic physics got in the way of my creativity. 

This is why, out of your list, the only games I play are Cities: Skylines and Planet Coaster. They aren't exactly crafting games, but they are building games and they really allow you to unleash your creativity. I spend far too many hours tweaking my parks or cities so they're not only functionally optimal but also really aesthetically pleasing. 
    Daikuru
    SEANMCAD said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    Scot said:
    Scot said:

Space Engineers
    Medieval Engineers

7 Days to Die

The Forest

Subnautica

Life is Feudal

Stranded Deep

From the Depths

Kerbal Space Program

StarMade

Elite Dangerous

Cities Skylines

Planet Coaster

Kenshi

RimWorld

Hospitalize

Kingdoms

Wurm Unlimited

My Summer Car

Banished

Out of Reach

thanks

I'm a very combat orientated MMO gamer (I like other things in single player games). 

As always, it comes down to gameplay. Combat is simply more fun than anything else. It lends itself best to cooperating with other people or competing against them. It combines logic problems with psychological problems so it is intellectually stimulating, all backed up by being under a time pressure requiring quick reactions. 

Everything else just pales by comparison. 

Sadly, the very reasons why I like combat are the same reasons I no longer play MMOs. Combat has been dumbed down so far that it is no longer intellectually engaging and thus no longer enjoyable, so I have reverted to single player games. 

So, as always, it comes down to personal preferences. You love crafting which is why you've gotten heavily into the indie scene. The indie scene has exploded with crafting-focused games, be it things like KSP or Besieged which are basically tech demoes, or more fully thought out games like 7DTD. 

I hate crafting, so those games hold no interest at all. The core gameplay just sucks and is totally mindnumbing for me. Something like KSP was entertaining for me for about 10 hours, but then the novelty of designing a spaceship wore off and I found the realistic physics got in the way of my creativity. 

This is why, out of your list, the only games I play are Cities: Skylines and Planet Coaster. They aren't exactly crafting games, but they are building games and they really allow you to unleash your creativity. I spend far too many hours tweaking my parks or cities so they're not only functionally optimal but also really aesthetically pleasing. 
    seems like a reasonable response however I have to say EQ2 combat which I played a little more than 10 years ago felt exactly the same as combat in ArchAge which I played about 4 years ago so  I question that combat has really changed much in MMOs but never the less fair answer.

What the indie scene should to do help you guys out is to create some combat focused games then. Maybe I can find some for you

• VengeSunsoarVengeSunsoar Member EpicPosts: 6,601
    Eq2 does have building. Just not in the open world.
    Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it is bad.
    Eq2 does have building. Just not in the open world.
    are you talking about the housing system?
    yeah...I left EQ2 because of that, I wanted more A LOT more, same for crafting