Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I am definitely having problems playing games

cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,067
edited December 2017 in PC Gaming
This is not a post about games in general or a rant about them so don't worry.

I just think I have reached a plateau beyond which I cannot progress. I managed MMORPGs fine with my 12 button mouse and I can cast fast and like the best of them I can play proficiently. The problem is other games like Tales Berseria which I desperately wanted to play but after she was put in that dungeon I could not progress as I cannot finish that part of the tutorial to block the attack. I tried for over an hour by which time my hand was so painful I could not even flex after. I need to get past that point but I cannot seem to hit the buttons fast enough. I use the KB and mouse as I am horrible with a controller if I need to navigate using the thumbsticks. I manage fine if it is D-pad but games that force the thumbsticks are out for me because I move like a drunkard on speed.

I also had to return Dragon Quest Heroes II despite wanting to play it because it was way too hard for me. I suppose 'git gud' is what is going through your mind but what happens if you just cannot 'git gud' no matter how long you try. I know there is no solution and I am aware me posting this is just futile and perhaps a complaint about the difficulty in games as you grow older but come to think of it I doubt I was ever able to do this even when I was young. I started playing video games when I was in my late thirties on PC (Fallout and Everquest) and thirties on Playstation (like FF7 and Wild Arms and Suikoden to name a few) and I guess this old dog is winding down. I don't want to though ...give up that is and be relegated to turn based only games .

I finished Mass Effect 3 on normal though and I played games like Black Desert and Witcher 3 even but some games just manage to completely defeat me.

I want to be able to play the Tales games or even the release of Star Ocean The Last Hope which I bought years ago and was unable to play on the XBox and when I saw it on Steam got so excited then I remembered how hard the combat was. That game has a fantastic story that I so want to experience. I wish there was some way I could manage the combat in these games.

EDIT I don't understand why my paragraphing disappeared.
Chamber of Chains

Comments

• WellspringWellspring Member EpicPosts: 1,464
    edited December 2017
    Hmm. Might be time to do some training. You gotta prepare physically for the game you want to play. Just like real sports. 

Junglecharly
    --------------------------------------------
  • cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,067
    I love Rocky  <3
    WellspringJunglecharlySBFordGorweOctagon7711
    Chamber of Chains
  • ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    You have Carpal Tunnel Cheyane?

If so it s a simple procedure to fix ..
    I think I am starting to have the symptoms but I think it is because I suck really bad at action games.
    Chamber of Chains
  • ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    edited December 2017
    when i was having that much pain and numbness it was CT ... easy fix .. Good Luck tho
  • Asm0deusAsm0deus Member EpicPosts: 4,389
    edited December 2017
    Why are you playing these games? 

For the story or for the challenge as in the twitchy need to have a good clicking finger movement challenge?

If you are playing these game for the story and not so much for the challenge and it's the combat giving you the biggest problems you could always just cheat and use cheat engine to get by the parts you are getting "stuck" in.

Pretty much all these game have standard cheats such as infinite life/energy etc which can be turned on or off, or fast leveling, add XX gold/cash/creds which general once can be turned off for example once you hit lvl xx turn off the cheat and you stay at lvl xx

That could always be an option other than simply quitting or not being able to play them at all.
    bartoni33

Brenics ~ Just to point out I do believe Chris Roberts is going down as the man who cheated backers and took down crowdfunding for gaming.

edited December 2017
    Asm0deus said:

For the story or for the challenge as in the twitchy need to have a good clicking finger movement challenge?

If you are playing these game for the story and not so much for the challenge and it's the combat giving you the biggest problems you could always just cheat and use cheat engine to get by the parts you are getting "stuck" in.

Pretty much all these game have standard cheats such as infinite life/energy etc which can be turned on or off, or fast leveling, add XX gold/cash/creds which general once can be turned off for example once you hit lvl xx turn off the cheat and you stay at lvl xx

That could always be an option other than simply quitting or not being able to play them at all.
    To be honest I never thought of doing that. Kinda floored really not sure I want to cheat though . I don't think I would feel happy doing that  but you're right though I play for the story and plot more than the combat although actually playing through a game and succeeding has its own rewards too.
    Chamber of Chains
  • Asm0deusAsm0deus Member EpicPosts: 4,389
    edited December 2017
    cheyane said:
    Asm0deus said:

To be honest I never thought of doing that. Kinda floored really not sure I want to cheat though . I don't think I would feel happy doing that  but you're right though I play for the story and plot more than the combat although actually playing through a game and succeeding has its own rewards too.
    Indeed. 

Lots of these cheat like inf life or energy can be turned on or off if you have trouble in just one spot and some allow you to decide how badly you are going to cheat so you can do just enough to get by and still enjoy the game.

I have limited play time and a huge backlog on games to play with new games coming in all the time so those older games that I know are going to stay at the bottom of the list and I will not have time to get to before I kick the bucket I sometimes do play with CE so I can get through it say in a couple days just so I can experience the story that I would otherwise never see period.

Recently did so with Wolfenstein 2009.

Wellspring

Brenics ~ Just to point out I do believe Chris Roberts is going down as the man who cheated backers and took down crowdfunding for gaming.

• cameltosiscameltosis Member LegendaryPosts: 3,703
    Its worth trying to identify whether the problem is physical or mental. 

By that, I mean can you physically not move your fingers quick enough, or is it your thinking/reaction times that are too slow? Or is it possibly that you've misunderstood the mechanics?

I've been in your situation on a couple of occasions, most recently with dodging in Zelda: BotW. Luckily for me, each time I've encountered this issue its been because I've not understood the mechanics properly. So, even though I've followed the instructions exactly, I was still failing and my own experiments didn't find success. 

So, I hop online for help and usually after some searching I'll find someone who explains the mechanic slightly differently and it will suddenly click into place. I'll find out I was watching for the wrong trigger, or had understood the timing wrong or something similar. 

Very occasionally, there will just be a game where the control scheme just sucks. I struggle with games that require regular use of both the triggers and shoulder buttons, I just find it too uncomfortable to have a finger on each of them at the same time and prefer to move my finger from the trigger to the shoulder as needed. As a PC gamer, this doesn't happen often, but it does happen. 
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,937
    cheyane said:
    I think I am starting to have the symptoms but I think it is because I suck really bad at action games.
    Just play the games on an easier mode. Since there are physical challenges, they are 'still challenging' but they shouldn't kill you.
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • Gyva02Gyva02 Member RarePosts: 499
    Never been a huge fan on the action mmorpg's for this very reason. Its all about how fast you can mash buttons in a correct order. I much prefer the old style of tab based mmorpgs where you build a character and as you put more time in, acquire rare items and figure out quests your character gets stronger over time. Really hope Pantheon fills this void. 
    AlBQuirky
  • SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
    try something completely different like Kerbal Space Program
    waynejr2

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

• AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    Antidote to age: Study the classes and builds. Find one that dishes out big damage by spamming just one or two buttons. Play that one. 
    waynejr2

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

@SEANMCAD I have that game .

@cameltosis It's not a question of thinking .For instance when they require you to move and press a key that is where I fail I can manage combat in Witcher 3 though because it did not require more precise movements or dodging. Hmm come to think of it I bound a movement key and dodge to  my scroll sides on Witcher 3.

@Amathe good idea thanks.
    Chamber of Chains
  • ShaighShaigh Member EpicPosts: 2,142
    cheyane said:
    If you experience numbness while playing games you can beat its probably something bad, if it only happens in games where you struggle a lot its most likely that your hand muscles become extremely tense while playing.

When I play bosses and I just seem to die it feels like my hands are bleeding after an hour which is all about having a monster grip on my controller, when I stop struggling I can play the same game for hours and my hands feel normal. 

Iselin: And the next person who says "but it's a business, they need to make money" can just go fuck yourself.
    I do grip stuff too hard I know that.

Anyway I wanted to ask you all something. Is there a trick to navigating using the thumb sticks. May be I'm doing something wrong can anyone help me figuring this out. I just cannot move smoothly so when I have to attack something I wont make to the target properly and wave around like a drunk. Is there a proper way to use the thumb sticks that I am missing. I navigate using the D-pad just like WASD but the thumb sticks are always bad. Anything will help thanks.
    Chamber of Chains
  • bartoni33bartoni33 Member RarePosts: 2,044
    cheyane said:
    Asm0deus said:

Would you rather "cheat" a game you paid for or "cheat" yourself out of the enjoyment of being able to play that game you spent money on?

I know what my answer would be.
    cheyane

Bartoni's Law definition: As an Internet discussion grows volatile, the probability of a comparison involving Donald Trump approaches 1.

• CanibalolerCanibaloler Member UncommonPosts: 136
    osu! the game is the answer to all your problems ;) 

• ShaighShaigh Member EpicPosts: 2,142
    cheyane said:
    I do grip stuff too hard I know that.

Anyway I wanted to ask you all something. Is there a trick to navigating using the thumb sticks. May be I'm doing something wrong can anyone help me figuring this out. I just cannot move smoothly so when I have to attack something I wont make to the target properly and wave around like a drunk. Is there a proper way to use the thumb sticks that I am missing. I navigate using the D-pad just like WASD but the thumb sticks are always bad. Anything will help thanks.
    Instead of going for frantic games immediately try and pick games that are fairly calm and play those on a gamepad instead of keyboard, stuff like walking simulators or puzzle games to just get used to the controls. It takes some time to train your muscle memory and once you get settled in you will stop waving around like a drunk playing games that should be played on gamepads.
    cheyane
    Iselin: And the next person who says "but it's a business, they need to make money" can just go fuck yourself.
  • MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    cheyane said:
    I have the same issue with sports games.  For the life of me, I can't figure out how to use the right joystick to do all those ballin' crossover 360 slam dunks...  My player usually ends up pump faking in the face of the defender and then throwing up some kind of fadeaway falling jumper nonsense.  It's vexing.
    cheyane

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    You should ask yourself why you feel the need to complete every game you play.  Unless you're a streamer or play competitive gaming in which your income depends on your gaming skills perhaps it's time to take a step back and reevaluate things.

I prefer to enjoy the games I can play well and drop the ones I can't.  
    cheyane

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

I decided to try the controller again instead of the mouse and keyboard. This time I managed the blindside tutorial on Star Ocean The Last Hope. I gripped the controller so hard I left marks (just kidding). Well I will try cheat codes and set the games  to easiest and see how it goes. Some games though have no such settings but Last Hope does so hoping to cheer myself up from the slump I found myself in.

The fact was the instructions during the tutorial is not clear and it took searching the internet to understand how to do the blindside. It is true that since all the buttons on the controller are at easier reach playing on the controller is way easier than KB and mouse. Now as long as I can move with the thumbsticks which I still cannot do well as long it does not get me killed should be good.
    Chamber of Chains
    edited December 2017
    You should ask yourself why you feel the need to complete every game you play.  Unless you're a streamer or play competitive gaming in which your income depends on your gaming skills perhaps it's time to take a step back and reevaluate things.

I prefer to enjoy the games I can play well and drop the ones I can't.  
    It is not a question of completing the games although I would like to . It is like this for a long time I have been seeing the games I want to play on consoles and I keep wishing they would be released on the PC and I want to play them and I love RPG with stories. I am one of those people that loved FF7 so much I collected everything I could find about it.

My son was so small then and I would carry him with me to every store and pick all these games and knick knacks on the Playstation and that time in my life it was Playstation this was in the 90's, I stopped work after giving birth and took up gaming as a past time otherwise the boredom of living at home after 12-13 hour work days would have killed me. I was so excited about all these great stories I would get to experience. I still am and that is why I want to play them if I can manage it somehow.

My husband had to tolerate my comic and game obsession because I had given up work.... nice guilt trip there.
    MrMelGibson
    Chamber of Chains
  • Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829
    I hear ya on the cheating. It's a pride thing. xD

I haven't used any cheats since I was a teenager, and I had the Game Genie and Game Shark devices for my consoles (and even those started gathering dust once I got past the early teens).

I haven't touched a gamepad in years now. I imagine I would suck royally if I went there again after all that time as member of the PC Master Race lol.
    MrMelGibson

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Keep working at it. When you get it, it will be oh so sweet.

Reminds me of the Arena in ESO, single player trail. That shit was so humbling. I was at the top of my game. Top of the ESO world pvp and pve, but I could not beat it. I watched around 75-100 players beat it. Shit took soul searching. When I did beat, oh so sweet. Top 3 gaming experiences. 

Embrace the challenge OP. Consider yourself fortunate you have the opportunity to achieve.
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"