Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Do you think Cryengine was a good choice for Star Citizen?

13»

Comments

• KefoKefo Member EpicPosts: 4,229
    Daranar said:
    I love how everyone bashes SC for mismanagement in this thread when they are being sued by a company for half ridiculous claims by a company that goes months on end without paying a single employee.  It's so painfully obvious this is a desperate move from Crytek because they literally cannot pay their employees.  But yeah SC is horrible for working on a game that people blindly crowdfunded without knowing the precise direction or timeline.   
    Yes Crytek decided to wait until after they got half a billion dollars in investment to sue CIG for money and not when they were actually in dire need of money. 

I swear the white knights come up with some crazy shit sometimes to try and downplay the reality of the situation.
    MaxBaconScotchUpBabuinix
  • MaxBaconMaxBacon Member LegendaryPosts: 7,766
    edited December 2017
    Kefo said:
    I swear the white knights come up with some crazy shit sometimes to try and downplay the reality of the situation.
    There goes for exaggerating things without actual awareness of the reality of the situation at hand. Confirmation bias has reached its peak.
  • kikoodutroa8kikoodutroa8 Member RarePosts: 565
    Daranar said:
    I love how everyone bashes SC for mismanagement in this thread when they are being sued by a company for half ridiculous claims by a company that goes months on end without paying a single employee.  It's so painfully obvious this is a desperate move from Crytek because they literally cannot pay their employees.  But yeah SC is horrible for working on a game that people blindly crowdfunded without knowing the precise direction or timeline.   
    In what aspect do you think the claims are "half ridiculous"?
    Babuinix
  • rodarinrodarin Member EpicPosts: 2,611
    edited December 2017
    Daranar said:
    Maybe crytek had a budget that included money FROM CiG and when they didnt get paid by them they couldnt pay their people. Ever think of that?
    MaxBaconBabuinix
    MaxBacon said:
    Kefo said:
    There goes for exaggerating things without actual awareness of the reality of the situation at hand. Confirmation bias has reached its peak.
    Couldn't comment on the first point so just went after the second part? And you're one to talk about confirmation bias lol
    MaxBaconBabuinix
  • ErillionErillion Member EpicPosts: 10,297
    rodarin said:
    Daranar said:
    Maybe crytek had a budget that included money FROM CiG and when they didnt get paid by them they couldnt pay their people. Ever think of that?
    Even CryTek itself does not claim that CIG reneged on that licensing fee.

You have engaged your reality filter again ?

Have fun
    Where can I get that "reality filter" that turns the current SC into a great game where I can explore tons of stuff, "hunt big game" on various planets, lead a fleet of battleship all controlled by groundbreaking AI, etc?

Babuinix
    Where can I get that "reality filter" that turns the current SC into a great game where I can explore tons of stuff, "hunt big game" on various planets, lead a fleet of battleship all controlled by groundbreaking AI, etc?

Dump a couple thousand dollars into the "game" and you too will see the glorious brown light that is Chris Roberts! The truth will be revealed to you and you will be cleansed of any vile disbelief you may have had of this project!
    kikoodutroa8MaxBacon
  • RouzukiRouzuki Member UncommonPosts: 66

I mean compared to the stuff EA is putting out...You might already have it.
  • Tiamat64Tiamat64 Member RarePosts: 1,545
    edited December 2017
    Rouzuki said:

*nod*  Welcome to the glorious new era of video gaming that Star Citizen promised us!
    Rouzuki said:

Why do you bring EA to the topic? Are they going to publish SC? Or are you simply that desperate?
    MaxBacon
    Erillion said:
    rodarin said:
    Daranar said:
    Even CryTek itself does not claim that CIG reneged on that licensing fee.

You have engaged your reality filter again ?

Have fun
    I will use your strawman....

so you have the exact agreement right  in front of you? you know exactly how monies from any deal were supposed to be distributed?

So CiG owes them money (apparently) just not THAT money? pretty safe to assume this has been going on for close to two years. by BOTH sides admission. 
    MaxBacon
    rodarin said:

so you have the exact agreement right  in front of you? you know exactly how monies from any deal were supposed to be distributed?
    I have the COURT papers digitally in front of me. And they mention nothing about CIG not having paid the CryEngine licensing fee. Feel free to point out that point in the court papers.

If CIG owes anyone money ... that is for the court to decide, is it not ?

Have fun
  • RouzukiRouzuki Member UncommonPosts: 66
    edited December 2017
    Rouzuki said:

Why do you bring EA to the topic? Are they going to publish SC? Or are you simply that desperate?
    Because they're a popular example of cruddy current games that I need not provide a source for.

Why does me bringing up EA in a discussion about games make you so eager to start a fight? Do you work at EA? Did I insult your livelihood? 
    ScotchUpOrinori
    Erillion said:
    rodarin said:

I have the COURT papers digitally in front of me. And they mention nothing about CIG not having paid the CryEngine licensing fee. Feel free to point out that point in the court papers.

Have fun
    so youre saying CiG was paying Crytek all along even though CiG stopped using cryengine? Or they paid them all upfront? Or that no future or quarterly payments were due?

No one knows what the specifics of the deal were...yet. But I suspect crytek was expecting regular payments. Whether they chose to include them may be immaterial because it could have been a wink and a handshake deal and thus no proof exists of it and therefore cant be included in a legal document.

It also may or may not come out in court since under the table financial deals are a slippery slope. But as dumb as Roberts and his crew are I wouldnt be shocked to see them admit to handing these guys (crytek)a brown paper bag of cash for months and thinking that was more than enough for them.... and they got tired of paying it and thats why they went in another direction.

hypothetical but there is money involved somewhere and CiG was supposed to pay it in some form or fashion.
    rodarin said:
    Erillion said:
    rodarin said:

Have fun
    so youre saying CiG was paying Crytek all along even though CiG stopped using cryengine? Or they paid them all upfront? Or that no future or quarterly payments were due?

No one knows what the specifics of the deal were...yet. But I suspect crytek was expecting regular payments. Whether they chose to include them may be immaterial because it could have been a wink and a handshake deal and thus no proof exists of it and therefore cant be included in a legal document.

It also may or may not come out in court since under the table financial deals are a slippery slope. But as dumb as Roberts and his crew are I wouldnt be shocked to see them admit to handing these guys (crytek)a brown paper bag of cash for months and thinking that was more than enough for them.... and they got tired of paying it and thats why they went in another direction.

hypothetical but there is money involved somewhere and CiG was supposed to pay it in some form or fashion.
    Once again you show such a limited knowledge about the Star Citizen project that you often criticize. I wonder how much of that animosity comes from a lack of knowledge. Or an unwillingness to educate yourself on relevant topics.

About the Cryengine deal and paying up front:

Erin Roberts quote, June 2014

"We did an outright buyout of the engine last year and have the source code"

http://gameranx.com/updates/id/22782/article/star-citizen-dev-responds-to-crytek-going-under-fears/

(it would not help much to link you to the CIG forum original post as you would not be able to access it anyway, so i added an article talking about it ... it contains the forum link too).

Have fun
  • gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    rodarin said:
    Erillion said:
    rodarin said:

Have fun

No.

All that @Errillion said is - I quote - the court filing "nothing about CIG not having paid the CryEngine licensing fee".

Surely - yes? - if CIG had not paid Crytek to licence the engine CiG would have included that in the filing?

How you spin these words into e.g. "brown paper bag of cash" - what mushrooms are you on?

Or are you suggesting that the lawyers who have been hired have forgotten to include it in the claim? Despite being so "good". Let me think about that: top lawyer forgets to include financial claim in filing OR no financial claim due. Nah the top lawyer must have gotten it wrong. He doesn't know about the brown paper bags obviously.
  • ScotchUpScotchUp Member UncommonPosts: 228
    Erillion said:
    rodarin said:
    Erillion said:
    rodarin said:

Have fun

Once again you show such a limited knowledge about the Star Citizen project that you often criticize. I wonder how much of that animosity comes from a lack of knowledge. Or an unwillingness to educate yourself on relevant topics.

http://gameranx.com/updates/id/22782/article/star-citizen-dev-responds-to-crytek-going-under-fears/

(it would not help much to link you to the CIG forum original post as you would not be able to access it anyway, so i added an article talking about it ... it contains the forum link too).

Have fun
    With Roberts saying they bought engine out is all good, but with his track record maybe he should show the contract to backers who still have money in the game. Taking Roberts word at this point isn't very credible.
    “The reason I talk to myself is because I’m the only one whose answers I accept.”
    George Carlin
    edited December 2017
    Maybe he just foolishly thought he brought out the engine, hence all his contract breaches afterwards.  If true, good thing Ortwin is co-founder so they can't use that as a defense.
    ScotchUp
    ScotchUp said:
    With Roberts saying they bought engine out is all good, but with his track record maybe he should show the contract to backers who still have money in the game. Taking Roberts word at this point isn't very credible.
    We are talking about ERIN Roberts here, Chris Roberts brother.

A highly successful game producer and studio director in his own right, with an impeccable track record , especially with the LEGO game franchise for almost a decade.

http://www.mobygames.com/developer/sheet/view/developerId,23689/

Have fun

Erillion said:
    ScotchUp said:
    We are talking about ERIN Roberts here, Chris Roberts brother.

A highly successful game producer and studio director in his own right, with an impeccable track record , especially with the LEGO game franchise for almost a decade.

http://www.mobygames.com/developer/sheet/view/developerId,23689/

Have fun

It's possibly not going to be very impeccable for long.
    Tiamat64 said:
    It's possibly not going to be very impeccable for long.
    We shall see.

Have fun
  • OrinoriOrinori Member RarePosts: 751
    edited December 2017
    gervaise1 said:
    rodarin said:

what mushrooms are you on?

Perhaps a Fly Agaric. When treated a certain way before consumption can produce a kind of half way experience between sort of drunk and full out tripping. Don't eat these mushrooms, Although there are not many recorded instances of death directly attributed to them (one guy once ate 20 massive ones one after the other), they have chemicals inside that can mess your body up for the long run even after they have been treated, consider yourself warned everyone.
    Post edited by Orinori on
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    edited December 2017
    Erillion said:
    rodarin said:
    Erillion said:
    rodarin said:

Have fun

Have fun
    I'm thinking they bought the rights to use cryengine 3 for SC.  Buying full rights would have been a very big thing in 2013 and a lot of agencies would have picked up that story.   So they own the right to use it in a certain way but phrase it to suggest total ownership.  Total ownership would also suggest Crytek has no case.

CR says on video he did a full buyout.

He says they can't take cryengine and make another game out of it but can use it for SC.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey